Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Still think Caicedo at 100m is better than Mount at 55m and obviously Rice at 105.

Don't see why we spent all that money on that guy and now Liverpool will get a gem of a player. Reminds me of the Fabinho disaster.

the_cliff

Think they overestimated Caicedo's preference which seems to change on a whim and didn't anticipate Liverpool (or any club) coming in this strong with this amount of money. For as crazy and extreme we have been in the market we've shown earlier this summer with Ugarte that we are willing to walk away if it got too out of hand. I expect the same will happen here. Two players who wanted to join us, seemingly fumbled.
Question is this:
Did Liverpool try to hijack Caicedo before your Lavia bid or vice versa ?
If your Lavia bid caused Liverpool to go all in for Caicedo then it was extremely stupid of whoever is in charge of your transfers, especially if your Lavia bid was supposed to scare Brighton into thinking you're moving on to another target. That backfired in a major way.

Of course that's assuming that these reports are true but if it is a British transfer record bid he's going to Liverpool.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Spicy.

Be part of something big with a team that’s forming a strong relationship with the talent coming out of Ecuador…

Or stare at Klopp’s teeth every day.

MegadrivePerson

Throwing that much money after Moises freaking Caicedo, what has the world become. i mean, what???
It's crazy!
English football in 2023 is the club that finished 5th, offering over 100 million to the club that finished 6th to stop the club that finished 12th getting a defensive midfielder that's played 45 games in the league.

luke511

We're mugs for not prioritising this transfer. Now we have to endure him playing for Liverpool for the next 10 years.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Honestly, I don't really get it. It's like teams aren't looking at the list of largest transfers and seeing what a train wreck it is. Brighton will be laughing themselves silly.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Think they overestimated Caicedo's preference which seems to change on a whim and didn't anticipate Liverpool (or any club) coming in this strong with this amount of money. For as crazy and extreme we have been in the market we've shown earlier this summer with Ugarte that we are willing to walk away if it got too out of hand. I expect the same will happen here. Two players who wanted to join us, seemingly fumbled.
The very strong belief is that no one else was in the game this Summer once if went over the 70’s really.

And the bond is t just with Moises: they’ve been putting n the groundwork for a relationship with his original club, agents and important figures in Ecuadorean football. There was a strong bond with everyone around Caicedo, not just a “I would like to play for Chelsea”

But yes, they should have closed and done with this a month ago.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Melissa Reddy is reliable and it coincides with the news from Talksport.

She is a Liverpool correspondent though so she could be reporting what they've put out, which could be to feck around with you lot after the Lavia bid but no doubt she's heard something from inside Liverpool Football Club.
I guess tomorrow will be Caicedo day. One way or another we will finally find out where he ends up. If the British record thing is true, I doubt we will match it. If it isn’t, then we have a chance. It was reported earlier that our next (and I guess final) bid was going to be around £90M + £10M. That won’t be enough, it seems.

Chief123

I don’t understand how some of you are getting upset why we didn’t bid £100m for him. Yes he’s brilliant and I love him but that price is ridiculous. Chelsea and Liverpool are desperate right now and have no choice.

These are absurd fees which are being exasperated by some of the fees Saudi clubs are paying. There is absolutely no chance Liverpool would be even contemplating a bid at this price if it wasn’t for the fact they got a ridiculously good and over priced sale on Henderson and Fabinho.

the_cliff

The very strong belief is that no one else was in the game this Summer once if went over the 70’s really.

And the bond is t just with Moises: they’ve been putting n the groundwork for a relationship with his original club, agents and important figures in Ecuadorean football. There was a strong bond with everyone around Caicedo, not just a “I would like to play for Chelsea”

But yes, they should have closed and done with this a month ago.
I remember when we were linked with him when he was still in Ecuador, his agents and the people around him were saying how he loves Manchester United and he was the biggest Antonio Valencia fan as a kid. It's football, the majority of players will go where the money is. He just wants to move to a big club, if United were in for him he'd be saying the same stuff he was saying when he was in Ecuador.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Honestly, I don't really get it. It's like teams aren't looking at the list of largest transfers and seeing what a train wreck it is. Brighton will be laughing themselves silly.
Between the list of largest transfers and list of players Brighton have sold in recent years, Caicedo will do well to live up to the billing.

Chief123

If Caicedo does go for the fee being reported, Brighton will have made close to
€400m in the space of 24 months in player sales. :lol:

Who needs an oil state when you can just buy Brightons scouting department.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We're mugs for not prioritising this transfer. Now we have to endure him playing for Liverpool for the next 10 years.
The timing wasn't right for us in this transfer window. But I believe we'll look to sign someone to replace Casemiro next season. I think we'll sign a a potentially very good player for the role and it might even turn out better for us.

Supports
Chelsea
Question is this:
Did Liverpool try to hijack Caicedo before your Lavia bid or vice versa ?
If your Lavia bid caused Liverpool to go all in for Caicedo then it was extremely stupid of whoever is in charge of your transfers, especially if your Lavia bid was supposed to scare Brighton into thinking you're moving on to another target. That backfired in a major way.

Of course that's assuming that these reports are true but if it is a British transfer record bid he's going to Liverpool.
If that's the case that our bid prompted a move for Caicedo then yeah that's a massive feck up. Perhaps Chelsea were informed that Liverpool were willing to go big on Caicedo, and we simply moved on to Lavia and Adams.

Chief123

This is picking up a lot of pace. Feels like it’s leaning towards Liverpool just in the space of a few hours. Chelsea have made little progress over weeks.

philippexyz

This will be a total disaster if he ends up at Liverpool. Feck the Saudis for overpaying for Fabinho with gone legs.

Chelsea is the lesser evil here, obviously. Let him go there. Boehly, show the filthy scousers who's the boss! :)

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea are obviously a huge club and an interesting youth-oriented project but they could be years away from relevance. Liverpool with Caicedo are right there with Arsenal and United as sides nipping at City's heels and ready to take advantage if they stumble. And this Liverpool team have shown repeatedly over the years that if they hit form they can contend for the CL.

I think the money will be decisive if there is a meaningful difference as Caicedo by all accounts comes from a very modest background. But if wages are similar I can't see a very good argument for choosing Chelsea. That's not a dig at Chelsea, just a reflection of where the two clubs are right now in their projects and cycles.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's disastrous though because you've spent the whole summer playing kiss chase with a club who didn't remotely want to be touched and now you've missed out on what was clearly your primary target.

You'll probably go for Lavia now, but that is very different profile of player who may or may not reach Caicedo's current level. He also cannot be relied upon to do anything of note for a season, if not two. It's quite the feck up, having Caicedo slip through your fingers like this.

Djemba-Djemba

Chelsea are obviously a huge club and an interesting youth-oriented project but they could be years away from relevance. Liverpool with Caicedo are right there with Arsenal and United as sides nipping at City's heels and ready to take advantage if they stumble. And this Liverpool team have shown repeatedly over the years that if they hit form they can contend for the CL.

If the money is similar I can't see a very good argument for choosing Chelsea. That's not a dig at Chelsea, just a reflection of where the two clubs are right now in their projects and cycles.
Trying to be as neutral as i can be, there really should be no debate on where he should go.

Liverpool are by miles the more attractive proposition.

croadyman

It's disastrous though because you've spent the whole summer playing kiss chase with a club who didn't remotely want to be touched and now you've missed out on what was clearly your primary target.

You'll probably go for Lavia now, but that is very different profile of player who may or may not reach Caicedo's current level. He also cannot be relied upon to do anything of note for a season, if not two. It's quite the feck up, having Caicedo slip through your fingers like this.
We should feck Chelsea over and take Lavia

luke511

The timing wasn't right for us in this transfer window. But I believe we'll look to sign someone to replace Casemiro next season. I think we'll sign a a potentially very good player for the role and it might even turn out better for us.
It could've easily been, we've spent £165 million and we're still looking to sign a CDM and CB. It's just target prioritisation.

Chief123

If Caicedo does end up going Liverpool, that’s a pretty catastrophic outcome for Chelsea. He was there for the taking all summer. One horse race for one of the best midfielders in the league.

Especially considering the vast amount of money they’ve spent recently on complete dross. This is one you don’t want to mess up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don’t understand how some of you are getting upset why we didn’t bid £100m for him. Yes he’s brilliant and I love him but that price is ridiculous. Chelsea and Liverpool are desperate right now and have no choice.

These are absurd fees which are being exasperated by some of the fees Saudi clubs are paying. There is absolutely no chance Liverpool would be even contemplating a bid at this price if it wasn’t for the fact they got a ridiculously good and over priced sale on Henderson and Fabinho.
You realise we paid a British transfer record fee for Keane way back when? At the time, that was not seen as the smartest move because not many had a vision of what Keane could or would go on to become. Put aside the numbers and consider this is the same thing - a young, upcoming midfield dynamo who a top club is going to pay a British transfer record for. The numbers themselves are immaterial because they are relative.

Whether Caicedo goes on to match his potential billing is another question entirely, but what he stands for as of right now is very much what Keane did on his way up the proverbial totem pole, in fact, he's further up it than Keane was, given we paid that money to a relegated side as opposed to one on the up in Brighton.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Gotta give it to Tony Bloom again. Played a fecking blinder if he gets 110m (even if that no doubt includes some add ons) for Caicedo. And absolutely correct to knock back those bids from Chelsea and Arsenal over the winter.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

I think the money will be decisive if there is a meaningful difference as Caicedo by all accounts comes from a very modest background. But if wages are similar I can't see a very good argument for choosing Chelsea. That's not a dig at Chelsea, just a reflection of where the two clubs are right now in their projects and cycles.
Oh my …. I REALLY hope Arsenal people believe this.

It’s all those trophies going to your head.

Very talented player with a huge engine...but it's a massive fee. You could probably get Camavinga out of Madrid for less than that, and I know who I'd rather have.

Nori-

£110m Wow.

Brigton have played a blinder, they've had several teams bidding against each other and gotten more tmoney han they could have hoped for.

Imagine LFC miss out on CL again next season :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.