Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perseus

Great post, thanks for putting it together.

Such a shame we didn't manage to go through back then when he seemed available. Would have been a cheap punt and wouldn't have hurt nobody because we didn't have anything like a defensive midfielder in the squad since ages. Had Caicedo turned out half as capable as he does today, it would still have been a good deal.

From a players standpoint, he'd be my main priority target. The price will be a killer though.
BHA have announced their value of the player is in excess of £140 million. They have also stated that their finances do not need the income.

Perseus

So we don’t need a midfielder to fill in for Casemiro when he’s unavailable? You must be forgetting how worse off we are without a player of his quality in that position. Plus our team has crumbled at times this season when the task was too much for Casemiro to take on on his own, having a player as good as Caicedo to partner him against the best opposition would be a game changer. We’ve seen a good glimpse of it with Casemiro and Fred as a partnership against the likes of Barcelona. We need a top DLP but for now I think having Eriksen, Bruno, Mainoo along with Iqbal and Mejbri will do us fine until next summer.

Also Liverpool used Fabinho, Milner and Henderson in their prime… Having Arnold and Robertson played a big part, I’m sure Shaw and Dalot (or even an improved RB if we get new owners) can have a similar impact.

Lastly, Casemiro and Caicedo aren’t just any old defensive midfielders, they’re probably two of the most all rounded midfielders on the planet, they can ping passes, do the dirty work and go on the offensive as well, it’s not like it will limit us as long as the balance is right around them.
cf. passing stats

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bang on. Really hope he doesn’t go Arsenal, but so would imagine if we’re interested and in the top 4, we’ll be in prime position to get him ahead of Arsenal.

Out of interest, who do you see as potential options for that other midfield signing you mention?
I'd honestly bring in Frenkie de Jong if possible. I think buying both Caicedo and Frenkie along with other reinforcements would get us very close to being a elite team again. And with those midfield options, ten Hag would have a good blend of midfielders which would both provide tactical flexibility and a genuine challenge to the likes of Man City. And we should expect both Liverpool and Chelsea to come back strong next season. So imo, it's important the club is sold and a new owner shows the ambition which would allow us to bring in the right calibre of players and hence challenge Man City for the league.

And if it's not Frenkie de Jong, then there's alternatives like Mac Allister, Kokcu, and I'm sure there's many others who could be targeted to provide high volume passing in a deep roaming role. I think one of the things Real Madrid did in the build up phase was to push Casemiro forward and have Modric and Kroos as the first phase progressors from midfield. And I think we could do the same with both Caicedo and Frenkie dropping deeper with Luke Shaw inverting once the ball progresses into the middle/final third.

I'll leave the below here as well.

croadyman

I'd honestly bring in Frenkie de Jong if possible. I think buying both Caicedo and Frenkie along with other reinforcements would get us very close to being a elite team again. And with those midfield options, ten Hag would have a good blend of midfielders which would both provide tactical flexibility and a genuine challenge to the likes of Man City. And we should expect both Liverpool and Chelsea to come back strong next season. So imo, it's important the club is sold and a new owner shows the ambition which would allow us to bring in the right calibre of players and hence challenge Man City for the league.

And if it's not Frenkie de Jong, then there's alternatives like Mac Allister, Kokcu, and I'm sure there's many others who could be targeted to provide high volume passing in a deep roaming role. I think one of the things Real Madrid did in the build up phase was to push Casemiro forward and have Modric and Kroos as the first phase progressors from midfield. And I think we could do the same with both Caicedo and Frenkie dropping deeper with Luke Shaw inverting once the ball progresses into the middle/final third.

I'll leave the below here as well.

He related to Paul Jewell I wonder?

flappyjay

So what do we need then?
We need to dictate matches and not let them get away from us. Just in the past week it was Sevilla. Caicedo is not the player to help us with this. I hope Ten Hag goes for a midfielder who will set the tempo.

So we don’t need a midfielder to fill in for Casemiro when he’s unavailable? You must be forgetting how worse off we are without a player of his quality in that position. Plus our team has crumbled at times this season when the task was too much for Casemiro to take on on his own, having a player as good as Caicedo to partner him against the best opposition would be a game changer. We’ve seen a good glimpse of it with Casemiro and Fred as a partnership against the likes of Barcelona. We need a top DLP but for now I think having Eriksen, Bruno, Mainoo along with Iqbal and Mejbri will do us fine until next summer.

Also Liverpool used Fabinho, Milner and Henderson in their prime… Having Arnold and Robertson played a big part, I’m sure Shaw and Dalot (or even an improved RB if we get new owners) can have a similar impact.

Lastly, Casemiro and Caicedo aren’t just any old defensive midfielders, they’re probably two of the most all rounded midfielders on the planet, they can ping passes, do the dirty work and go on the offensive as well, it’s not like it will limit us as long as the balance is right around them.
Of course Fred/casemiro will look good against Barcelona a team that likes to keep the ball and we are still a counter team at the moment. We don't play those kinds a teams every week we will have to break down teams most weeks as they will come in and camp in their own half's. The ability to pass through the lines, unsettle defences is important too. I supposed that it's been so long since we had a midfield controller that everyone forgets that's also part of defense. Controlling a match and playing at own tempo.

There is no point in having Caicedo and Casemiro win the ball back and then see the opponents quickly have possession back. This happens a lot for us because there is no one to calm things down when things get out of hand. A lot of times this is when we crumble from constant pressure.

Caicedo and Casemiro might not be any old midfielders but they are not the class and quality of the top dlps and 8's in carving teams open either. You mention milner, Fabinho, Henderson but Fabinho is the defensive midfielder in the trio and their main trio was Fabinho, wijnaldum and Henderson. Last year it was Thiago instead of wijnaldum

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We need to dictate matches and not let them get away from us. Just in the past week it was Sevilla. Caicedo is not the player to help us with this. I hope Ten Hag goes for a midfielder who will set the tempo.
I disagree with this, Caicedo is a key part of a possession based team, only Man City and Arsenal have better possession stats this season and only City have better pass completion as a team. Caicedo's pass completion is 88.9% for the league and 88.4 overall.

If EtH wants to you to be a possesion based team then Caicedo would fit right in he very very rarely loses the ball.

flappyjay

I disagree with this, Caicedo is a key part of a possession based team, only Man City and Arsenal have better possession stats this season and only City have better pass completion as a team. Caicedo's pass completion is 88.9% for the league and 88.4 overall.

If EtH wants to you to be a possesion based team then Caicedo would fit right in he very very rarely loses the ball.
I am talking about picking up the pace of a match or slowing down when there is need. I didn't say Caicedo is bad in possession or can't play in a possession team.

reddev3

[

Pretending that Caicedo is what we need right now is what's laughable actually. Show me 1 team that plays like you want us to. There is a reason why Man city, Liverpool at their best, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich don't play play 2 defensive midfielders when everyone is fit.
4 out of those 5 teams you mentioned don't play a 4 2 3 1 formation like Ten Hag does so what's your point? The one exception being Bayern and even then, for the past 10/15 years they have mostly had something similar to a defensive mid sat next to a powerful box to box (what Caicedo could easily be) and then a number 10 in front of the two.

And last few months both City and Arsenal have been playing with what you would consider "2 defensive midfielders" in Stones and Rodri and Xhaka and Partey and they are playing some of the best football in Europe right now.

I never said we needed him or how I wanted us to play so you're changing the narrative. I simply said comparing a poor midfield two of Skipp and Hojberg that can't create anything for Tottenham to a what would be a midfield triangle of Caicedo, Casemiro and Bruno as evidence that he wouldn't work here next to Casemiro was laughable, which it was.

Nick7

Who is this mysterious player that can dictate the pace of every single game on his own?

AneRu

4 out of those 5 teams you mentioned don't play a 4 2 3 1 formation like Ten Hag does so what's your point? The one exception being Bayern and even then, for the past 10/15 years they have mostly had something similar to a defensive mid sat next to a powerful box to box (what Caicedo could easily be) and then a number 10 in front of the two.

And last few months both City and Arsenal have been playing with what you would consider "2 defensive midfielders" in Stones and Rodri and Xhaka and Partey and they are playing some of the best football in Europe right now.

I never said we needed him or how I wanted us to play so you're changing the narrative. I simply said comparing a poor midfield two of Skipp and Hojberg that can't create anything for Tottenham to a what would be a midfield triangle of Caicedo, Casemiro and Bruno as evidence that he wouldn't work here next to Casemiro was laughable, which it was.
I think you are onto something here, our best player is Bruno who also happens to be the most effective attacking midfielder around so if I am building a new midfield I'd most likely look for a pivot partner for Casemiro that enables Bruno to stay upfield where he does his best work. A Caicedo-Casemiro pivot would do just that and ensure that turnovers don't hurt us as much and we are a nightmare to play against off the ball.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
They should keep him and sell Mac Allister.
As an Albion season ticket holder and go to every away game too - plus every home PL2 game, I feel Caicedo will be near impossible to replace with equal quality. Mac Allister less so. I really like them both but I’d sell Mac before Caicedo and several other first teamers if I had a choice in the matter.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As an Albion season ticket holder and go to every away game too - plus every home PL2 game, I feel Caicedo will be near impossible to replace with equal quality. Mac Allister less so. I really like them both but I’d sell Mac before Caicedo and several other first teamers if I had a choice in the matter.
I agree. Caicedo feels like a very special talent.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I agree. Caicedo feels like a very special talent.
He is comfortably the best player I’ve seen in an Albion shirt (admittedly not the highest bar given our modest history), but he is a different league. Without hyperbole, one of the greatest signings in Premier League history in the value to quality ratio.

Sorry about Maupay…

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is comfortably the best player I’ve seen in an Albion shirt (admittedly not the highest bar given our modest history), but he is a different league. Without hyperbole, one of the greatest signings in Premier League history in the value to quality ratio.

Sorry about Maupay…
Would you say that he is a dead cert (or thereabouts) to be one of the best CMs in the world and also, how good is his playmaking?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Would you say that he is a dead cert (or thereabouts) to be one of the best CMs in the world and also, how good is his playmaking?
I personally think he already is, based on watching every minute he has played this season live. His stats are in the top percentile for his position in world football; the only thing he doesn’t have is a huge number of top level appearances. Obviously this is solely due to his age. Despite this, he’s 21 years old, a national team fixture with World Cup appearances behind him and an integral part of a team challenging for the Europa League.

The only question mark as I say, which ironically is also a major plus, is his age. Another season at the current level of performance will silence any doubts of being a “one season wonder” I would think.

When you’ve got a 21 year old who has been unquestionably our player of the season, with a contract until 2027, the only question is “how much?”. Having turned down £75m in January, I think the fee would be £100m or more, depending on whether the top clubs can afford a bidding war with the likes of Chelsea and their insane owner.

As a football lover as well as a Brighton supporter, I genuinely hand on heart would take Caicedo over Bellingham in that price bracket. They do different roles on the field, but what Caicedo offers affects both ends of the pitch. He dominates games week on week - often against very good sides.

whitbyviking

Who is this mysterious player that can dictate the pace of every single game on his own?
David De Gea does it regularly on behalf of the opposition, with his heinous distribution straight to their players allowing them to build momentum in attack.

MegadrivePerson

I personally think he already is, based on watching every minute he has played this season live. His stats are in the top percentile for his position in world football; the only thing he doesn’t have is a huge number of top level appearances. Obviously this is solely due to his age. Despite this, he’s 21 years old, a national team fixture with World Cup appearances behind him and an integral part of a team challenging for the Europa League.

The only question mark as I say, which ironically is also a major plus, is his age. Another season at the current level of performance will silence any doubts of being a “one season wonder” I would think.

When you’ve got a 21 year old who has been unquestionably our player of the season, with a contract until 2027, the only question is “how much?”. Having turned down £75m in January, I think the fee would be £100m or more, depending on whether the top clubs can afford a bidding war with the likes of Chelsea and their insane owner.

As a football lover as well as a Brighton supporter, I genuinely hand on heart would take Caicedo over Bellingham in that price bracket. They do different roles on the field, but what Caicedo offers affects both ends of the pitch. He dominates games week on week - often against very good sides.
I'd agree with this.

I'd take him over any of Bellingham or Fernandez. I think he's the best young midfielder in Europe now.

Has he not got a release clause in his contract though?

How did Brighton persuade him to sign a new long term contract when he knows he's got all the top clubs in Europe looking at him?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I'd agree with this.

I'd take him over any of Bellingham or Fernandez. I think he's the best young midfielder in Europe now.

How did Brighton persuade him to sign a new long term contract when he knows he's got all the top clubs in Europe looking at him?
Thank you for your reply. Brighton under Tony Bloom don’t offer release clauses in player contracts. “It removes the club’s position of strength in overseeing departures”, says Paul Barber. In fact it has led us to miss out on deals in the past.

That said, I imagine there is an informal agreement to allow the player to move, if his minimum valuation is met. The club don’t prevent players moving; they just want the right transfer fee.

Sam Jewell, our head of recruitment put it thusly in the New York Times; “I always say to players, 'Yes, you've got Man City and Bayern there, but we will sell you to them anyway if you do well,'”.

I think the new contract in this case was to give the player a considerable pay rise in the short term, plus I imagine a hefty signing-on fee and loyalty bonus, while simultaneously strengthening the club’s position when it comes time to sell.

When a top club with an acceptable offer come in - YMMV on what is “acceptable”, but I’m sure the club have a figure in mind, he’ll be off and I have no doubt he will be a massive success wherever he goes.

luke511

Of course Fred/casemiro will look good against Barcelona a team that likes to keep the ball and we are still a counter team at the moment. We don't play those kinds a teams every week we will have to break down teams most weeks as they will come in and camp in their own half's. The ability to pass through the lines, unsettle defences is important too. I supposed that it's been so long since we had a midfield controller that everyone forgets that's also part of defense. Controlling a match and playing at own tempo.

There is no point in having Caicedo and Casemiro win the ball back and then see the opponents quickly have possession back. This happens a lot for us because there is no one to calm things down when things get out of hand. A lot of times this is when we crumble from constant pressure.

Caicedo and Casemiro might not be any old midfielders but they are not the class and quality of the top dlps and 8's in carving teams open either. You mention milner, Fabinho, Henderson but Fabinho is the defensive midfielder in the trio and their main trio was Fabinho, wijnaldum and Henderson. Last year it was Thiago instead of wijnaldum
You’re completely underrating their passing ability. It is possible for two playmakers to play in front of them as well, one as a 10 and one on the right wing, Amad would be a perfect component for this.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Caicedo is a big United fan so it shouldn't be too hard to get him. I think He will be a great addition to the team.
Interesting, why do you think this?

Genuinely curious what Manchester United’s transfer budget will be like. Setting £75m as a minimum amount for Caicedo, then £80m for Kane or Oshimen as a realistic ballpark figure, that’s already over £150m for two players.

redcucumber

I'd agree with this.

Do any players in the PL have release clauses? I've never known that to be a thing in the UK, as opposed to other leagues.

Drizzle

Genuinely curious what Manchester United’s transfer budget will be like. Setting £75m as a minimum amount for Caicedo, then £80m for Kane or Oshimen as a realistic ballpark figure, that’s already over £150m for two players.
Something along the lines of £120-150m plus whatever we can generate in sales as a guess. So maybe £200-230m? Assuming we're sold.

zaafi

Reading through the comments on Caicedo here, I can't help but feel he is being a bit overrated in here. What is it exactly that makes him this sensational world class midfielder, apart from tackling and interceptions? Sorry if it sounds clueless, but I genuinely haven't watched him a lot.

luke511

I’d be surprised if we get either of those strikers. I have a strong feeling Chelsea is going to bid the highest out of everyone for Oshimen, and Kane probably won’t be leaving in the summer, especially to us.

Blood Mage

It's frustrating because he's not a player we need while Casemiro is here but we don't want a rival to get their hands on him. Definitely the third best DM in the league behind Rodri and Case.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I’d be surprised if we get either of those strikers. I have a strong feeling Chelsea is going to bid the highest out of everyone for Oshimen, and Kane probably won’t be leaving in the summer, especially to us.
Fair play, but for your sake it would seem clear from the outside you need a genuine striker to come in. Martial simply can’t be relied on due to his injury history, and Weghorst is a loan - and I’m not too sure on him anyway for a team of your ambition. If your club were to go all-in and pay the £75+ million for Caicedo, I wonder what you’ll do about acquiring a quality striker.

luke511

Fair play, but for your sake it would seem clear from the outside you need a genuine striker to come in. Martial simply can’t be relied on due to his injury history, and Weghorst is a loan - and I’m not too sure on him anyway for a team of your ambition. If your club were to go all-in and pay the £75+ million for Caicedo, I wonder what you’ll do about acquiring a quality striker.
Yep 100% need a quality striker in the summer, so your point still remains.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton

zaafi

May I respectfully invite you to read and watch @Adnan ‘s outstanding post (https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moises-caicedo-stays-at-brighton.472434/post-30415823)
Thanks! I have to agree it is a great post. Just curious how his stats are average for a midfielder whose strength is supposedly possession. His progressive passing, take-ons and ball carrying seem very low on FBref, while also not being a particular noticeable goal threat or creator, but that's more probably down to his current role in this Brighton team.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Thanks! I have to agree it is a great post. Just curious how his stats are average for a midfielder whose strength is supposedly possession. His progressive passing, take-ons and ball carrying seem very low on FBref, while also not being a particular noticeable goal threat or creator, but that's more probably down to his current role in this Brighton team.
There are videos demonstrating this better than I can explain in text, such as this;

TL;DW - he plays in a double pivot to receive the ball, draw and resist the press, and make space for others. He plays his role to perfection for what he is asked of in the system.

When his duties change (chasing a game) he seamlessly adapts from a deep lying playmaker, to a box to box midfielder.

I find him endlessly impressive to watch. But he isn’t going to score/assist ten goals a season - it isn’t his game any more than it is Casemiro’s.

Infra-red

He's very good but we'll be quoted a nine-figure sum for him - there's simply no value there and we need to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.