Moises Caicedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_sparky

Love the could of had him for £5m :lol:

like Ole would of played him and he’d be the player we see today. He’d be in the same category as Amad and Facundo which is why I prefer for these players to make the Brighton type move.
He has played 12 matches for Brighton.

I agree though, he wouldn't have been near the first team under Ole.

Superunknown

As a Brighton fan, the comments here are an almost carbon-copy repeat of the Cucurella/Ben White threads on the Chelsea/Manchester City/Leeds forums. It’s very interesting to view other team’s opinions on our players, especially bigger teams than us like Manchester United.

Can I just clarify a few things about our club, to hopefully help a little with your understanding of how the Albion operate?

Our policy is essentially moneyball, we sign and develop these very promising young players by giving them a development plan into first team football. Ben White played one season of Premier League football - sold for £50m. Cucurella one season of PL football - sold for £60m.

Our chairman Tony Bloom has a policy of “nobody is for sale” with our best players. We don’t slap price tags on players, we simply reject bids until they become impossible to decline financially. Anything you read in the press about “Brighton demanding X figure” is clickbait nonsense.

Brighton rejected bids of £25m, then £30m from Leeds for Ben White, eventually getting double the original offer. We rejected a £30m bid from Manchester City, eventually getting double the original offer.

Which brings me to fan expectations of bigger clubs when it comes to securing our players. There is an expectation from some (not all) fans of clubs like United, that they just need to come in and make a bid with a price tag *they* feel is acceptable, and the deal will be done.

“Let’s just pay £30m and get Caicedo”.

This is never how it has worked with our club under Tony Bloom. Caicedo will not be available for £30m.

Even when Manchester City’s shenanigans trying to force a move (their manipulation of Fabrizio Romano via Cucurella’s agent) were apparent, and drew a transfer request from the player, Brighton’s transfer and contract policy completely protected them from lowball offers.

Brighton transfer policy is very clear, they offer long contracts (4-5 years), they do not allow release clauses, they do not allow buy-back clauses when purchasing or request them when selling. Every deal is a one and done, straight shot.

Whether it’s Manchester United, Real Madrid or PSG the policy is the same. We only sell if we don’t want the player, or if the offer becomes outrageous.

£30m, as an example given above by an optimistic poster, is not a realistic offer.

Caicedo, aged 20, with three years left on his deal, playing in the top league in the world, with no release clauses, with the club having no financial need or obligation to sell… realistically the transfer fee would be in the £60-80m region.

I know lots will know this already, but I’m already seeing the same comments repeating from the other forums. The days of big clubs going and taking talent from the “lesser” clubs for pennies is over I’m afraid guys.
I spent 4 years at Brighton University and still visit the area every few months. It's still one of my favourite places. I support United and always will, but I often look out for Brighton's scores too and hear the news and info from friends who live there. It's hard not to have that sort of affinity when you are there for a considerable amount of time.

Thanks for all of that. It makes a lot of sense and good for them, really. I think the last bit you said is spot on about 'big teams taking talent from little teams' for pittance. It does feel like we've seen a shift in that regard.

Clubs like Brighton, Leicester, Southampton, etc do a good job of scouting these players and developing them. We need to be doing more of that. The question I'd be asking is 'Where were United when Brighton signed this player?' If other teams can find and sign these talented players, then surely we can be doing the same?

ForeverRed1

Not ideal give we could have had him cheaper. But we did a similar thing with Sancho. It would still be a good move for big money I think, he will make a huge difference to our midfield. He's practically a 2-midfielders-for-1 package, he mops up all over the pitch. Go back and watch his latest game against us, killing attacks on both sides of the pitch, breakaways etc. He had their keeper pinging balls to him with Mctominay on his back and he'd not only get away from Mctominay but initiate attacks.
No chance he comes here. Brighton already lost bissouma, we’re already 2 games into the season, why would they sell one of their best players when they have lost so many already. It won’t happen. United need to be more smart than this. If he came here it would cost ridiculous money and I mean ridiculous.

soapythecat

Would cost a fortune. Brighton are pretty loaded right now so don’t need to sell, as. They won’t.
Another crap leak from the club to make us think they are actively trying to buy players. We all know the reason - there is no more money until we sell.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
@UTAretro what if a player kicks up a fuss though? Downing tools, complaining etc, you name it. How does Brighton react then?

The White Pele

I think Caicedo and De Jong would be a brilliant combination with a fantastic set of attributes. Unfortunately I think there is zero chance due to Brighton’s fortitude in the market as explained above and also our own incompetence.

We are also going to find ourselves stacked in midfield if we get De Jong and Rabiot without actually having the best set of options and as always will find our current players difficult to shift.

avgp_1

What are you basing that on

We had our chance with this one, though. And fecked it as per.
Is settled at Brighton, they will ask for amounts in excess of 60-70m minimum and don't think he is worth all that. We should look elsewhere, there is talent available that doesn't need to be so expensive

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Would cost a fortune. Brighton are pretty loaded right now so don’t need to sell, as. They won’t.
Another crap leak from the club to make us think they are actively trying to buy players. We all know the reason - there is no more money until we sell.
This is my view too, bidding for shit players while leaking our "interest" in high profile players to make it seem we were priced out of our first choice targets.

mav_9me

I spent 4 years at Brighton University and still visit the area every few months. It's still one of my favourite places. I support United and always will, but I often look out for Brighton's scores too and hear the news and info from friends who live there. It's hard not to have that sort of affinity when you are there for a considerable amount of time.

Thanks for all of that. It makes a lot of sense and good for them, really. I think the last bit you said is spot on about 'big teams taking talent from little teams' for pittance. It does feel like we've seen a shift in that regard.

Clubs like Brighton, Leicester, Southampton, etc do a good job of scouting these players and developing them. We need to be doing more of that. The question I'd be asking is 'Where were United when Brighton signed this player?' If other teams can find and sign these talented players, then surely we can be doing the same?
Not sure if this is a genuine question but I'll take a stab at answering.

The obvious answer is we don't even have an average set up football wise, forget about getting to their level of competence.

You need scouting/technical director/manager to be on the same page to begin with. Then if they are good we can identify and develop talents. Here we are unable to sign an attacker after knowing 8 months ago we are going to lose Cavani/Mata/Linagrd and unable to sign a single CM after losing Matic/Pogba from an already awful CM. We fired our chief scout, have a new DOF who seems to the worst around and a new manager.

At the best of times if you have all 3 above, being a big club means expectations which can be a big challenge to developing young players anyway.

Bottomline what you are asking is a pipe dream. Not going to happen while Glazers are in charge.

redcucumber

Jesus Christ, incredible that we could have had him for £5m a year ago. I remember talking about him with my friends and wondering why we didn't get him and loan him out for that price.

mu4c_20le

Jesus Christ, incredible that we could have had him for £5m a year ago. I remember talking about him with my friends and wondering why we didn't get him and loan him out for that price.
Clearly you and your friends know feck all about running a football club. The deal was extremely complicated with all sorts of red tape and international regulations. It was impossible to do.

pseudo_canadian

The disconnect between our scouts and whomever ultimately decides who we sign is just remarkable.

Bunch of incompetent assholes.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The disconnect between our scouts and whomever ultimately decides who we sign is just remarkable.

It’s becoming more and more obvious Joey Glazer signs everything off

Jama18418

Problem is we as a club think we're too "big" to get these kids in and play them while they're still learning, same with Pellestri and Amad, just give them game time, can they really be worse than Rashford and Elanga?

We could have got Enzo Fernandez, Caicedo and Alvarez for £35m combined.
The problem is this club hasn’t improved 1 player we bought for over 10 years. We haven’t any stability in management which means players not knowing what they should be doing on the pitch. I watch our games and seriously believe that some amateur teams who train once a week look more organised. We don’t have any identity playing as a team. Every game it looks like these players don’t know eachother abilities or strengths and have just met on the pitch for the first time. We have bought Amad and pellister who were rated higher or as high him how did that work out? We don’t plan for the next game and people are wanting to plan 2/3/4 years ahead. It’s like some people on here don’t watch United.

Chief123

As a Brighton fan, the comments here are an almost carbon-copy repeat of the Cucurella/Ben White threads on the Chelsea/Manchester City/Leeds forums. It’s very interesting to view other team’s opinions on our players, especially bigger teams than us like Manchester United.

Can I just clarify a few things about our club, to hopefully help a little with your understanding of how the Albion operate?

Our policy is essentially moneyball, we sign and develop these very promising young players by giving them a development plan into first team football. Ben White played one season of Premier League football - sold for £50m. Cucurella one season of PL football - sold for £60m.

Our chairman Tony Bloom has a policy of “nobody is for sale” with our best players. We don’t slap price tags on players, we simply reject bids until they become impossible to decline financially. Anything you read in the press about “Brighton demanding X figure” is clickbait nonsense.

Brighton rejected bids of £25m, then £30m from Leeds for Ben White, eventually getting double the original offer. We rejected a £30m bid from Manchester City, eventually getting double the original offer.

Which brings me to fan expectations of bigger clubs when it comes to securing our players. There is an expectation from some (not all) fans of clubs like United, that they just need to come in and make a bid with a price tag *they* feel is acceptable, and the deal will be done.

This is never how it has worked with our club under Tony Bloom. Caicedo will not be available for £30m.

Even when Manchester City’s shenanigans trying to force a move (their manipulation of Fabrizio Romano via Cucurella’s agent) were apparent, and drew a transfer request from the player, Brighton’s transfer and contract policy completely protected them from lowball offers.

Brighton transfer policy is very clear, they offer long contracts (4-5 years), they do not allow release clauses, they do not allow buy-back clauses when purchasing or request them when selling. Every deal is a one and done, straight shot.

Whether it’s Manchester United, Real Madrid or PSG the policy is the same. We only sell if we don’t want the player, or if the offer becomes outrageous.

£30m, as an example given above by an optimistic poster, is not a realistic offer.

Caicedo, aged 20, with three years left on his deal, playing in the top league in the world, with no release clauses, with the club having no financial need or obligation to sell… realistically the transfer fee would be in the £60-80m region.

I know lots will know this already, but I’m already seeing the same comments repeating from the other forums. The days of big clubs going and taking talent from the “lesser” clubs for pennies is over I’m afraid guys.
Good post. I agree about there being no “lesser” clubs in the league from a financial perspective. I read not long ago that at any given time, every premier league team is in the top 25 richest clubs in the world. That’s how much money EPL teams get now. So trying to buy a player that is not for sale in the league is going to command a high premium every time. That’s why EPL clubs are turning to players outside of the league.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Cheers mate. Great post.

Smores

Clearly you and your friends know feck all about running a football club. The deal was extremely complicated with all sorts of red tape and international regulations. It was impossible to do.
:lol: yeah course it was

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

We were in talks with him before he went to Brighton. Not exactly incompetent, especially when there was an ownership issue to work through.

The White Pele

If the De Jong deal is dead I would rather we pay over the odds for Caicedo than sign Rabiot

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
@UTAretro what if a player kicks up a fuss though? Downing tools, complaining etc, you name it. How does Brighton react then?
Hi, thanks for your reply This has actually never happened in the Tony Bloom era. The closest has been Cucurella placing a transfer request after we rejected a lowball bid from Manchester City. I would imagine management spoke to the player and his agent and said “we aren’t holding you back, we simply want your value”. Then Chelsea came in a week later and doubled City’s offer - and the club said “okay, you can go”.

I think the main reason this hasn’t happened is the club does an outrageous amount of due diligence on each signing’s personality as well as their footballing talent. Potter likes people who fit in, and isn’t afraid to ship out those who don’t. He likes good professionals, low-key personalities who train well and want to improve. There is a full time employee within the recruitment team whose sole job is to do social media, references, discussions with ex-colleagues of the potential signing - as much information as possible.

I am sorry if I seem boastful or overly enthusiastic about our policies in this regard, but truly we have become one of the best recruiting sides in Europe.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hi, thanks for your reply This has actually never happened in the Tony Bloom era. The closest has been Cucurella placing a transfer request after we rejected a lowball bid from Manchester City. I would imagine management spoke to the player and his agent and said “we aren’t holding you back, we simply want your value”. Then Chelsea came in a week later and doubled City’s offer - and the club said “okay, you can go”.

I think the main reason this hasn’t happened is the club does an outrageous amount of due diligence on each signing’s personality as well as their footballing talent. Potter likes people who fit in, and isn’t afraid to ship out those who don’t. He likes good professionals, low-key personalities who train well and want to improve. There is a full time employee within the recruitment team whose sole job is to do social media, references, discussions with ex-colleagues of the potential signing - as much information as possible.

I am sorry if I seem boastful or overly enthusiastic about our policies in this regard, but truly we have become one of the best recruiting sides in Europe.
You don't have to be sorry. I'm just reminded of Dortmund who I reckon also do a lot of due dilligence but still had the likes of Ousmane Dembele and Mkhitaryan causing trouble before leaving.

Giggsy13

Now the fecking idiots want him when they could’ve had him for £4.5 million. feck off with that. I hope Brighton bend the club over on fee, rightfully deserved for our incompetence.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We should get him, better late than never. But we wont because we dont want to spend money. Im sure its going to take 50m

The White Pele

I would actually feel like we had salvaged something from this window if we managed to get him. More by luck than design I think he could even end up being a better signing than De Jong in the long-term for a fraction of the wages. He’s the kind of physical, dynamic presence we have been missing in our midfield.

Please chuck some money at Brighton for this kid, offer Garner on loan as a sweetener to cover their loss and rescue some small positive from this disaster of a window.

redcucumber

:lol: impossible to do? Brighton managed it. I'd love to know your credentials of running a football club, ya gigantic wopper.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
You don't have to be sorry. I'm just reminded of Dortmund who I reckon also do a lot of due dilligence but still had the likes of Ousmane Dembele and Mkhitaryan causing trouble before leaving.
Indeed, it can happen any time to any club. We have been fortunate so far, but helped ourselves with policy to mitigate the risks.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The problem is this club hasn’t improved 1 player we bought for over 10 years. We haven’t any stability in management which means players not knowing what they should be doing on the pitch. I watch our games and seriously believe that some amateur teams who train once a week look more organised. We don’t have any identity playing as a team. Every game it looks like these players don’t know eachother abilities or strengths and have just met on the pitch for the first time. We have bought Amad and pellister who were rated higher or as high him how did that work out? We don’t plan for the next game and people are wanting to plan 2/3/4 years ahead. It’s like some people on here don’t watch United.
Correct! But you're labelled as a moaner by the apathetic fans on here who are seemingly happy to berate the fans who show concerns for the club that they love but not the owners who are literally killing it.

You'll be told you're impatient (even after 10 years of this shite) and go support another club if you keep making critical (although logical) posts like this.

c gull

Supports
Brighton
he only played 8 times last season and loaned out to belgium. Some of the brigton fans already talk about him being a flop. Where is this rumor come from?
Dont know where you have your info from but completely wrong. This was Bissouma replacement. We talk about him being a flop, dont think so. £150m+

c gull

Supports
Brighton
Same way as Cucu, 60 million bid came in and yes he could go, but others like Dunk, Stephens to name a couple dropped from first team, then realised they could not get their own way and came bqck stronger

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No chance he comes here. Brighton already lost bissouma, we’re already 2 games into the season, why would they sell one of their best players when they have lost so many already. It won’t happen. United need to be more smart than this. If he came here it would cost ridiculous money and I mean ridiculous.
If that's the case then fair enough. But it'll take a 1 minute phone call to find out. Brighton want/wanted Williams, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.