5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

He covers a lot of ground and his pass in the build up to our goal was class, I think his dawdling on the ball and overall passing variety needs to pick up, but he's been decent enough in general in the last 2 games.

marlowe78

We tried to use him like Herrera in the 1st half, except...he's not. He can play a good ball through on occasion but I don't think he's really that kind of player and never will be.

izec

I've never seen a professional footballer who's been so bad at marking from corners. I think he's lost his man every single time this season. We should just put him on the goal line.
so annoying. He is so shit at corners.

Sylar

Should be starting him with Herrera until end of season imo.

El Jefe

He will never win the people who think he should be Paul Scholes over. Our record when he plays and doesn't play speaks for itself.
I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum expects him to be that kind of player. As Manchester United fans, we've been spoilt over the last 20+ years with the quality of our midfielders namely Keane, Scholes, Ince, Robbo, Carrick and even players on a level lower like Fletcher and Butt. Not all of them are Scholes like players but they were all appreciated here. Unfortunately for Schneiderlin this is the level he will be compared to and as he's way short of that level its only natural he'll be criticised like several others in the team.

Sylar

Why cant we just play him and herrera as a midfield partnership?

acnumber9

Midfielders should be able to pass the ball. I don't understand why a man desperate at clinging on to the ball at all costs would sign a player like Schneiderlin.

pseudo_canadian

I thought he was alright today, all things considered.

It's incredibly hard when you have to play two midfield positions at once because your partner (cough cough, Carrick) is incapable or covering ground fast enough.

Manny

Grammar Police
One of the guys on Fulltimedevils said that he's a "players player" and that you didn't understand football if you can't see what he's offered the side this season......
Not sure what that means but he seems to be playing a destroyer role ahead of Carrick.

Thought he was very good in the first 30 minutes or so today.

Sylar

Midfielders should be able to pass the ball. I don't understand why a man desperate at clinging on to the ball at all costs would sign a player like Schneiderlin.
He can though. he has shown glimpses of it this season (in fact his ball out last game which lead to the win was a lovely one). He hasnt had a great season, but seriously, why cant we just put him next to another mobile player like Herrera. Or have the two of them ahead of Carrick if you need a three man midfield.

hubbuh

Why cant we just play him and herrera as a midfield partnership?
@Fer posted an interesting side that looked like this:

Schneiderlin-Herrera
-Blind-
CBJ-Smalling-TFM-Valencia

It makes sense to give it a go if we are seemingly not going to offer Carrick a new contract

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Thought he was really good in the first half. That first 20 minutes was pretty much him shutting down nearly every one of Spurs' attempted break. Must be hard when your partner's playing in slow-mo.

El Zoido

He was brilliant for Southampton, I watched him in enough games and saw it with my own eyes. He's been average for us and I can only point the finger at the management.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm still a fan of him, but his sense of urgency to danger is bizarrely lacking. When his opponent or the ball gets behind him, he just seems to watch it happen. If the ball is lost in the midfield, he just seems to stop, as if his job is done in that phase of play. He doesn't track a run, or run to support the centre backs in the box for a cross coming in. Happened numerous times during the 2nd half, even at 0-0, he just looked like he'd had enough.

Sylar

@Fer posted an interesting side that looked like this:

Schneiderlin-Herrera
-Blind-
CBJ-Smalling-TFM-Valencia

It makes sense to give it a go if we are seemingly not going to offer Carrick a new contract
I wouldnt mind if the Blind position was him or TFM Long term (along with Carrick / Basti this season)
But yeah, giving that a go would be great.

criticalanalysis

A player's player is basically someone, who his team mates appreciate a lot. A bit like Busquets at Barca (before he got recognition), Fletcher at United etc etc.

I thought he was very decent in the first half and after that it more effort than actual quality but I wouldn't blame him for that. He was literally a one man midfield at times.

The amount of times he lost the ball was because he was there in the first place to try and win the second ball then play it i.e you can't expect someone to tackle, regain possession AND play it out in the middle of the park against a mobile, pressing Spurs, with Carrick constantly on his heels and 10 yards away. Are there players capable of that? Maybe and in this case you could say he lacks 'quality' but I doubt very few would be able to actually affect the game in a positive manner with our tactics and personnel.

If he had a capable mobile partner, he would've have someone to press and play off each other. Carrick was again the liability today.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
One of the guys on Fulltimedevils said that he's a "players player" and that you didn't understand football if you can't see what he's offered the side this season......
That's hipster speak for describing an average player.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Thought he would be excellent here and really wanted him last Summer but I've been very disappointed I must admit. When it gets to the stage where I'd rather play TFM in his position it says it all really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A bang average player. Nowhere near the level we should be aiming at.
Based on what I've seen on him so far, I agree.

The caf seemed to consider him the dream tackling midfielder in the summer and wet themselves over his signing so I had fairly high expectations, but this guy has been a complete disappointment. I know which team you're in does make a difference, but even then, just in terms of his all round game, he looks so limited, and half the player Kante appears to be. The difference between the two in their movement, awareness, touch, speed and speed of thought, is staggering.

I can only hope that he's someone who raises his game big time under the next manager, but I have to say, I'm not seeing a great player in him. His skill-set appears to be very limited.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was brilliant for Southampton, I watched him in enough games and saw it with my own eyes. He's been average for us and I can only point the finger at the management.
Was his touch actually good when you saw him for them? He looks laborious in both his touch and reaction-time for us.

Devil may care

That's hipster speak or describing an average player.
I agree and usually the guy that said it talks a lot more sense. Schneiderlin just doesn't offer enough of anything, compare him to Kante today or even Fletch against City yesterday and you see more impact on their teams play.

acnumber9

He can though. he has shown glimpses of it this season (in fact his ball out last game which lead to the win was a lovely one). He hasnt had a great season, but seriously, why cant we just put him next to another mobile player like Herrera. Or have the two of them ahead of Carrick if you need a three man midfield.
He's petrified when he's on the ball. One or two passes under no pressure don't change that. He's ridiculously uninspiring. He was a ghost for most of the game.

Sylar

He's petrified when he's on the ball. One or two passes under no pressure don't change that. He's ridiculously uninspiring. He was a ghost for most of the game.
Part of me thinks its this strange tactic of having to keep the ball, and losing it will result in being benched. Heck, hes missed some important games this season and probably wants to be safe.

Hes not the only one, but it seems like our players are playing with fear (playing no risk stuff) hence why were only creating one or two chances per game.

Zoo

Thought he was really good in the first half. That first 20 minutes was pretty much him shutting down nearly every one of Spurs' attempted break. Must be hard when your partner's playing in slow-mo.
Agreed. You just knew Carrick's legs would go in the second half and Schneiderlin would be left with too much to do.

Apparently Herrera was warming up for 20 minutes but Louis Van Genius failed to get him on for Carrick.

acnumber9

Part of me thinks its this strange tactic of having to keep the ball, and losing it will result in being benched. Heck, hes missed some important games this season and probably wants to be safe.

Hes not the only one, but it seems like our players are playing with fear (playing no risk stuff) hence why were only creating one or two chances per game.
He's definitely playing it safe. More so than Carrick or Herrera would and even Herrera can be quite backwards and sideways with his passing. But they at least both look capable. Schneiderlin has a knack of controlling the ball in such a way that's he always looks panicked and under pressure when he tries to pass. The manager may be the problem and time will tell on that one but I'd be surprised if he all of a sudden starting looking comfortable in possession.

El Zoido

Was his touch actually good when you saw him for them? He looks laborious in both his touch and reaction-time for us.
Yes, he was also quicker in his decision making and forward distribution of the ball. It's obvious he's now no longer playing with confidence, the game isn't coming naturally to him and it really shows. That said, I don't think he's been bad for us at all, but we could be getting a lot more out of him. He can't run a midfield on his own though.

izec

I dont know how great he was for Southampton, but he is average for us. 25m for a squad player currently, we have tons of them by the looks of it. I hope Jose can elevate him to his Saints form if the reviews of him were true the last few years. I am hopeful, LvG cant bring the best out of our players, he brings them down til he gets sacked.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
A bang average player. Nowhere near the level we should be aiming at.
Based on what I've seen on him so far, I agree.

The caf seemed to consider him the dream tackling midfielder in the summer and wet themselves over his signing so I had fairly high expectations, but this guy has been a complete disappointment. I know which team you're in does make a difference, but even then, just in terms of his all round game, he looks so limited, and half the player Kante appears to be. The difference between the two in their movement, awareness, touch, speed and speed of thought, is staggering.

I can only hope that he's someone who raises his game big time under the next manager, but I have to say, I'm not seeing a great player in him. His skill-set appears to be very limited.
These

criticalanalysis

I'm quite baffled at the Schneiderlin criticisms, not because he doesn't deserve it but it seems like he's got absolutely no redeeming attributes at all and all the good work he does do isn't enough to even give him benefit of the doubt.

To all those who think that, what did you make of Carrick's contribution today and this season? If Schneiderlin offers nothing then Carrick is nothing.

I'm definitely bias because 'being petrified of the ball' can also be read as 'he's in the middle of the park because he chose to get stuck/involve in the middle of it and yes he doesn't have (all) the quality but at least he's there to do something. Oh and his partner is sh|te, which you know affects his options defensively and offensively in a massive way'.

I don't choose that train of thought all the time but it's more times than not.

dichinero

Some rubbish here. Clearly some fans didn't see him at Soton. It's not his fault he has been LvG'd

acnumber9

I'm quite baffled at the Schneiderlin criticisms, not because he doesn't deserve it but it seems like he's got absolutely no redeeming attributes at all and all the good work he does do isn't enough to even give him benefit of the doubt.

To all those who think that, what did you make of Carrick's contribution today and this season? If Schneiderlin offers nothing then Carrick is nothing.

I'm definitely bias because 'being petrified of the ball' can also be read as 'he's in the middle of the park because he chose to get stuck/involve in the middle of it and yes he doesn't have (all) the quality but at least he's there to do something. Oh and his partner is sh|te, which you know affects his options defensively and offensively in a massive way'.

I don't choose that train of thought all the time but it's more times than not.
Carrick is in his mid thirties and time catches up with us all. Schneiderlin won't achieve a quarter of what Carrick has at the same age he's nowhere near as good as Carrick was.

Status
Not open for further replies.