5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

Carrick is in his mid thirties and time catches up with us all. Schneiderlin won't achieve a quarter of what Carrick has at the same age he's nowhere near as good as Carrick was.
Except what Carrick has achieved means nothing to anybody other than himself so it's irrelevant.

I don't care for Carrick's cabinet or his superior abilities (which he doesn't use or can use often enough), I care that he's comfortably a step or two behind Schneiderlin when the going gets tough.

Of course the greater blame should go to LVG but I'm still surprised people are expecting we have a world class midfielder, who's gonna come in and control a midfield on his own. It's team work and partnerships. Schneiderlin is limited but he fights his own battles and does what he can for the team. Carrick? He can only play one style and that is, if teams are sitting deep, not pressing on him and we have dominant attacking players to receive his passes. He never fights above that. Never. Games bypass him too easily.

acnumber9

Except what Carrick has achieved means nothing to anybody other than himself so it's irrelevant.

I don't care for Carrick's cabinet or his superior abilities (which he doesn't use or can use often enough), I care that he's comfortably a step or two behind Schneiderlin when the going gets tough.

Of course the greater blame should go to LVG but I'm still surprised people are expecting we have a world class midfielder, who's gonna come in and control a midfield on his own. It's team work and partnerships. Schneiderlin is limited but he fights his own battles and does what he can for the team. Carrick? He can only play one style and that is, if teams are sitting deep, not pressing on him and we have dominant attacking players to receive his passes. He never fights above that. Never. Games bypass him too easily.
They're different kind of players and Carrick is considerably older. You should care as a Utd fan. He was a very good player in one of our greatest teams. A team Schneiderlin would've got nowhere near.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wouldn't blink an eye if we got rid in the summer... Sure we have other more important areas to fix, but I don't think he's good enough. Though then again, Fellaini is worse and our other options are Carrick, an aging and injury prone Schweinsteiger and an inconsistent herrera who needs a disciplined, defensive minded player next to him anyway.

Didn't think it was required last year, but think a complete re-haul of our midfield wouldn't be a bad thing. Has a terrible balance of players in it and nobody being good enough.

Devil may care

He seems to have no confidence to try anything when he has the ball and seems to float around the edges of the game.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He isn't a deep lying playmaker. His responsibility is to brake play up and he did that well. Don't know what you guys want from him.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He isn't a deep lying playmaker. His responsibility is to brake play up and he did that well. Don't know what you guys want from him.
This, his game is to press and break up play high up the pitch. People want a Carrick and that's just not his game.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I said it at the start of the season. He is a 6/10 player nothing more nothing less. Desperately unexciting. Jon Obi Mikel with less desire

But if mourinho does take over he would probably be quite useful. He could probably get the best out of this type of player

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No composure, mediocre passing, reckless against fecking Villa. I'd rather have Fellaini.

Eddy_JukeZ

Unfortunately our midfield while possessing more depth, still lacks quality.

Schneiderlin isn't good enough for this club. Southampton was his level.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's not set the world alight but he'll be excellent for us in time. There's more to his game than just breaking things up and pressing the opposition.

I read and heard the same sort of nonsense from people when we signed Carrick, it doesn't happen overnight. Ridiculous to compare him to Mikel or Fellaini.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I said it at the start of the season. He is a 6/10 player nothing more nothing less. Desperately unexciting. Jon Obi Mikel with less desire

But if mourinho does take over he would probably be quite useful. He could probably get the best out of this type of player
nonsense

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't think he was good today.

Overall his slide tackles are pretty piss poor, he goes in all guns blazing without anticipating the opposition players moving. Genuinely seen more from Timbo in the tackling department.

I'm expecting him to improve a lot next season under a new manager after a run of games.

Sylar

I dont know what his role is cos it seems to change every game. Cant tell if hes meant to be box to box, a sitting midfielder who breaks up play or a deep lying playmaker.

I still dont get why we cant play him next to Herrera.

kundalini

I dont know what his role is cos it seems to change every game. Cant tell if hes meant to be box to box, a sitting midfielder who breaks up play or a deep lying playmaker.

I tend to agree. Schneiderlin + Herrera at least has a clear division of labour. Schneiderlin deep. Herrera more advanced.

For Southampton he played alongside Wanyama. None of our players are remotely like Wanyama so clearly Schneiderlin is having to adapt. Some of his partnerships don't seem well thought-out. I thought his lack of creativity was alarmingly apparent both in the Spurs match and against Villa. Though at times Schneiderlin's defensive qualities don't seem up to much either.

Perrick Dubois

Car crash.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Of course, anybody can see he is a much better box to box player than water carrier. But, rather I meant the "6/10 player nothing more nothing less" comment.

I don't think anyone as ever seen him as box to box

He is the very definition of water carrier

Perrick Dubois

I don't think anyone as ever seen him as box to box

He is the very definition of water carrier
As someone who has watched a lot of him for S'oton and France, completely disagree. At United, of course not he has not had a chance to play as a box to box player, in the 4-2-3-1 but he has looked very uncomfortable as a water carrier and it has been completely obvious to me playing for United this season. He just isn't that type of player.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Because he's shite!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Last year he and Wanyama were paired at the base of Southampton's midfield and they had the 2nd best defensive record in the league. The few times I watched them play, Schneiderlin seemed to be the slightly more advanced of the two, but both had very similar jobs.

This year, he's been deployed alongside a number of partners, two really old guys (both of whom are clearly past it), Fellaini and, arguably his best partner, Herrera. When he has started, 23 games in the PL, we've conceded 16 goals, winning 13, drawing and losing 5, whilst picking up 44 points.

In the 10 games he hasn't started: we've won 3, drawn 3, lost 4, scoring 12, conceding 14 and picking up 12 points. Had he started every game this season, we'd be sitting on 63 points, and would still be in the title race.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Last year he and Wanyama were paired at the base of Southampton's midfield and they had the 2nd best defensive record in the league. The few times I watched them play, Schneiderlin seemed to be the slightly more advanced of the two, but both had very similar jobs.

This year, he's been deployed alongside a number of partners, two really old guys (both of whom are clearly past it), Fellaini and, arguably his best partner, Herrera. When he has started, 23 games in the PL, we've conceded 16 goals, winning 13, drawing and losing 5, whilst picking up 44 points.

In the 10 games he hasn't started: we've won 3, drawn 3, lost 4, scoring 12, conceding 14 and picking up 12 points. Had he started every game this season, we'd be sitting on 63 points, and would still be in the title race.
Seriously??? You're going to attribute our current predicament to not playing Schneiderlin? FFS!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well, you can't argue with logic like that!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Seriously??? You're going to attribute our current predicament to not playing Schneiderlin? FFS!
Of course not. But there's a certain pattern developing when he does and does not play. If you can't see that, then no one can help you.

prath92

He is actually a good defender. He has more interceptions than Blind and Smalling. Play him next to an actually good midfielder and we can see good results.

Sylar

Its a fair point by @Di Maria's angel given how shocking this league has been and the difference in our results when he plays and when he doesnt.

Just posting "hes shite", im not going to bother replying to that cos it a waste of a post and its a waste of time even acknowledging it.

I tend to agree. Schneiderlin + Herrera at least has a clear division of labour. Schneiderlin deep. Herrera more advanced.

For Southampton he played alongside Wanyama. None of our players are remotely like Wanyama so clearly Schneiderlin is having to adapt. Some of his partnerships don't seem well thought-out. I thought his lack of creativity was alarmingly apparent both in the Spurs match and against Villa. Though at times Schneiderlin's defensive qualities don't seem up to much either.
I would like to see the partnership given a chance to blossom as well. Both 26, both mobile, and put in work. That is needed in the premier league.
For Europe, you had a third partner (somebody like Carrick behind them), imo it would do well.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Its a fair point by @Di Maria's angel given how shocking this league has been and the difference in our results when he plays and when he doesnt.

Just posting "hes shite", im not going to bother replying to that cos it a waste of a post and its a waste of time even acknowledging it.

I would like to see the partnership given a chance to blossom as well. Both 26, both mobile, and put in work. That is needed in the premier league.
For Europe, you had a third partner (somebody like Carrick behind them), imo it would do well.
You just did. :lol:

Let me break it down for you. Schneiderlin may be a decent player but he's best suited to a mid-table / top third team. He certainly isn't good enough for United. He's had long enough to settle and has just not done anything significant. If you want to base your assessment on stats like those provided by Di Maria's angel, I'm sure we could establish some other equally indispensable players. He's probably had a handful of solid games for United this season but that's it. He's a bit clumsy on the ball and can be a bit rash in the tackle. He just does not influence the midfield enough for what we need, just runs around a lot and falls over quite a bit. For £25m we could've done a whole lot better!

Sylar

But I didnt reply. I just knew saying that would bait you ;)
Regardless, has he had an underwhelming season? Of course.
Is he shite? Of course not

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Of you are ranking our midfield options he comes near the top of the list. He doesn't work next to a deep playmaker as you are asking him to perform the role of a sitting totally defensive midfielder which he clearly isn't. He works best with another box to box player next to him (herrera). Watch the city game back and you will see everything Schniderlin excels at. He is good at winning the ball back and would be perfect for us in a point backwards 433. In a 4231 it is difficult to find his natural role with the players we have. Put Gündogan next to him in that system though and you have a good blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.