Mourinho Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

predator

Youth NITK
I'm very content to see mourinho go but I won't slate a man who has lost his job and also a man who genuinely tried to succeed and failed. Despite the pay out as well (which so many are obsessed with) it's reasonable to be respectful to a man who spent 2 and a half years with us.

Moving on though, the uncertainty factor is exciting imo. I think the risk of hiring almost anyone now is worth it given how negative the club has been past year.

Jimmyheals

Living in Germany I don’t get to games often, I thought buying tickets today would be the highlight of my day...saw this minutes later. The day got much better!!
I saw this coming, been waiting for a day and a half, I was convinced it would happen after that shameful display last weekend. Glad we finally did it!

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
£22.5m jeez! Mourinho has made more from sackings than most managers in Europe earned from their regular wages for their entire lives.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not happy he has failed. For starters, my main gripe with it all is it makes no sense to solely blame the manager when pretty much the same squad was comfortably 2nd last season.

But the writing was on the wall and the last thing I wanted to see was a long agony until CL was out of scope and the Board could avoid paying up. The fact they have made this decision makes me optimistic some of the more deeply rooted issues have been identified and will be addressed.

Get In Scholesy

Why do people keep saying this? There isn't a curse on the club. Scouting, recruitment, training have all been substandard in recent years. We just need to be managed better.
You’re right. The scouting, recruitment and training have all been substandard. Thus why changing the manager without addressing the other substandard aspects of the club will hardly reap any benefits. It starts with changing the manager, but it goes beyond that. It should not stay that way.

It's going to end up being Sparky, isn't it?
fecking hope not :lol:

That's why Neville's right when he said the club needs to reset the structure, if we stick with the same old then we're no better off.
Indeed. It must be a change on a much larger scale. Not just the manager.

humdinger

I’m genuinely shocked with how this all ended. Thought he’d really take us up a few levels and make us a very efficient, tactically astute side but he’s left us in a worse state than he’s found us.

I’d like to be grateful but I never warmed to him to be honest so I’m just happy to see the back of his miserable, negative tenure.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
In keeping with how this season has gone (from pre-season in fact), the whole thing is a shambles. Sacking a manager without any definite target, a club of our stature goes for a care-taker for more than half a season. the rot goes way deeper than the manager. Woodward is useless and most of the board need to take a long hard look at themselves. three appointments, three disasters. we have been going downhill for about five years and no one has the guts to admit it and do something about it. if you think sacking jose will somehow magically get us into the top four, think again. yes of course we want to play exciting football, no jose didn't produce it but when are the people who are to blame for that going to finally carry the can. the club is is a total mess

Backrow Singer

I’m sad it’s turned out how it has. We have witnessed off-field incidents being played out on the football pitch which is wrong in my opinion. That’s not just Jose Mourinho’s fault, part of the blame does lie with him of course but it also lies with some of the players and the board/directors. There has clearly been a situation where different people have had issues with other people within the organisation - clearly, they weren’t sorted out and they should have been sorted out. I don’t think that anyone has been in control of the football club and I think we’ve seen individuals ‘wrestle’ to try and gain some of that control. That can’t happen in a team sport and it’s lead to the club looking very disjointed. Disjointed is the word that best sums it all up for me. You’ve got to pull together and have a common aim, that hasn’t been the case and when that happens you’re finished.

I thought he did well in his first season in that he won us two trophies and got us back into the Champions League. We had a lot of injuries, obviously there were the Thursday games in the Europa League as well. For me, that was a success.

Last season, I thought cracks did appear and Sevilla in the Champions League was a real shocker. Two dreadful performances, unacceptable performances. The football wasn’t great but we did finish in the top four. The FA Cup loss was a real blow and left a bitter taste over the summer.

Whether extending his contract was right or wrong is one question but when they did, they should have backed him IMO and they didn’t. I think it’s cost us this season in terms of results because we’ve conceded goals that have been completely unacceptable and it’s clearly lead to a lot of problems off the field as well. Mourinho will always try and save himself first and when he knew that we weren’t getting a centre half, that’s what he did and he upset certain players in the process. Had they backed him, I think he’d have been a lot happier, the players would have been a lot happier as a result and maybe things would have been different - who knows.

I think he’s suffered badly with regards to a lack of leadership amongst the players. The likes of Keane, Neville, Giggs, Robson, even Rooney and Ibrahimavic in recent years wouldn’t have stood for some of the performances this season. They wouldn’t have accepted it, their personal pride wouldn’t have allowed it. I don’t think there’s a player in the dressing room who has that character and cares about the club enough to channel it in the right way. I think there is a combination of reserved individuals and players who care about themselves more than they do the team. That’s worked against him for sure.

But..... all of the above has happened and I think sticking with him for longer would have made a bad situation worse. I think a change needed to happen, mainly because I think the atmosphere is now so unhealthy it’s become poisonous. You can feel the tension at the matches, it’s almost felt like every game is a final. That couldn’t be allowed to continue and sacking José is the easiest way to clear that atmosphere. There are players who I wouldn’t trust as far as I could kick them and I think there are players who, like José, will put themselves and their own interests before the club. I think they’ll show that again if things don’t work out with the next manager.

As I say though, all things considered, it’s the right decision for me.

freeurmind

weak willed
I’m sad it’s turned out how it has. We have witnessed off-field incidents being played out on the football pitch which is wrong in my opinion. That’s not just Jose Mourinho’s fault, part of the blame does lie with him of course but it also lies with some of the players and the board/directors. There has clearly been a situation where different people have had issues with other people within the organisation - clearly, they weren’t sorted out and they should have been sorted out. I don’t think that anyone has been in control of the football club and I think we’ve seen individuals ‘wrestle’ to try and gain some of that control. That can’t happen in a team sport and it’s lead to the club looking very disjointed. Disjointed is the word that best sums it all up for me. You’ve got to pull together and have a common aim, that hasn’t been the case and when that happens you’re finished.

I thought he did well in his first season in that he won us two trophies and got us back into the Champions League. We had a lot of injuries, obviously there were the Thursday games in the Europa League as well. For me, that was a success.

Last season, I thought cracks did appear and Sevilla in the Champions League was a real shocker. Two dreadful performances, unacceptable performances. The football wasn’t great but we did finish in the top four. The FA Cup loss was a real blow and left a bitter taste over the summer.

Whether extending his contract was right or wrong is one question but when they did, they should have backed him IMO and they didn’t. I think it’s cost us this season in terms of results because we’ve conceded goals that have been completely unacceptable and it’s clearly lead to a lot of problems off the field as well. Mourinho will always try and save himself first and when he knew that we weren’t getting a centre half, that’s what he did and he upset certain players in the process. Had they backed him, I think he’d have been a lot happier, the players would have been a lot happier as a result and maybe things would have been different - who knows.

I think he’s suffered badly with regards to a lack of leadership amongst the players. The likes of Keane, Neville, Giggs, Robson, even Rooney and Ibrahimavic in recent years wouldn’t have stood for some of the performances this season. They wouldn’t have accepted it, their personal pride wouldn’t have allowed it. I don’t think there’s a player in the dressing room who has that character and cares about the club enough to channel it in the right way. I think there is a combination of reserved individuals and players who care about themselves more than they do the team. That’s worked against him for sure.

But..... all of the above has happened and I think sticking with him for longer would have made a bad situation worse. I think a change needed to happen, mainly because I think the atmosphere is now so unhealthy it’s become poisonous. You can feel the tension at the matches, it’s almost felt like every game is a final. That couldn’t be allowed to continue and sacking José is the easiest way to clear that atmosphere. There are players who I wouldn’t trust as far as I could kick them and I think there are players who, like José, will put themselves and their own interests before the club. I think they’ll show that again if things don’t work out with the next manager.

As I say though, all things considered, it’s the right decision for me.
Can't argue with any of that. He had to go, it was gone even those you could generally trust to put in a shift were walking around the pitch heads down. I was 100% against his appointment in the beginning but he won me over. Got genuinely excited beginning of last season when we went on that run of big victories. Players have to show up now, especially those who have been complaining the loudest. We need to get some wins under the belt, 2 or 3 bad results and we'll be right back into crisis mode.

Woodward should go. His tenure has been a disaster basically from the first transfer window. Time to get someone in who actually knows something about football and cares a bit more about winning.

lsd

The Oracle
I wonder how Ed goes about it when he sacks the manager's

Does he soft coat it or just go "your fired "

RichMet

Supports
Liverpool
Won't someone think of the real victims here, what are the Lowry hotel going to do now?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Genuinely surprised at the amount of people that have said they feel sorry for Jose.

Not sure if they’re just soft natured and feel bad but the guy was a manipulative, 2 faced conman. In my opinion he Gave up as soon as he got what he wanted (new contract for a big pay off). His comments after Sevilla especially were probably the worst/most selfish I’ve ever heard in football. He deserved sacking then but he got another chance. Nope just got worse.

He called Pogba a virus but it was just pot kettle black. Thank god he’s gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.