Mourinho on Martial after today's game

SER19

That would be fair interpretation if we weren't discussing Jose Mourinho, but given he has previous for throwing his players under the bus following a poor performance (at every club he has ever managed might I add) do you not think it more likely that the following is equally, if not more viable?

My personal interpretation of this announcement is that he simply wished to say that we have all been complaining about Sanchez's performances since t day he was purchased, and it is high time Martial replaced him in the starting lineup, but when he does eventually replace him, his performance was just as bad if not worse than Sanchez has offered before him (I disagree with Jose, I thought Martial, although nothing special, showed more attacking intent in his time on the pitch than any other United player)
Not in this case, I belive he is trying hard to put a better media face on things this season. Failing at tikes but trying

SER19

:lol: so he liked attack minded players to defend a couple of years ago and still does? Is that the point? I’m sure we can get some Porto quotes that express the same. Barrel scraping :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well when you want to hear something you hear it.
Fair point, people do tend to hear what they want to hear, but you have to admit, Jose has previous for throwing his players under the bus after a poor performance. It's difficult to read this statement any other way than it has been presented.

Just my opinion.

crackers0seven

I can't get over the love of martial. It's not about alexis vs martial. Both are shite and shouldn't be near starting 11. Fact is that martial has been crap for ages and his attitude stinks. Watching him play it so depressing. Even something as simple as getting fouled today at one nil he just lied on his stomach with a complaining look to the other players rather than getting up and move up the pitch with some urgency. Anyways it not just him. It's the manager and a good number of players that need to go to freshen up this team and club. Long season ahead :(

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sorry, Jose, that's about the 50th cherry on the cake. Get your coat and go.

Jojo <3 Mou

Fair point, people do tend to hear what they want to hear, but you have to admit, Jose has previous for throwing his players under the bus after a poor performance. It's difficult to read this statement any other way than it has been presented.

Just my opinion.
Indeed.

There is enough to be upset with Mourinho about: points, form, tactics, player management etc.
We don't need to start reading things into what he says as well. Or making up stuff.

Ban

Just my opinion.
Of course. We had a wee exchange of opinions. Far play. :)

RedDevil@84

So Jose doesn't have his own brains? Does he take decisions based on reading caf?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What a completely normal thing to say in a post-match interview.

The man is deranged. And he has been for a long time now - this is like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
At least he had some attacking intent.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Indeed.

There is enough to be upset with Mourinho about: points, form, tactics, player management etc.
We don't need to start reading things into what he says as well. Or making up stuff.
Doesn't this latest announcement fall directly under that category? Especially when you consider the negative affect such a statement could and likely will have on a young talented player?

thesheriffjw

Martial is the last player to use if you were up against it.

He pulls out of 50 / 50s and does not try hard enough.

The whole set up is a shambles and its down to jose. Hes had nearly 3 yrs now and is going backwards

Red_toad

But all our attacking players have been abysmal again, and have been for some time. There is an obvious common denominator.
We've had the issue for a long time now, tried different players and different managers. Yet the issue continues. So what's the common denominator? It used to be blamed on Rooney not so long ago.... West Ham front line who aren't a patch on the ability of our forward players really put in a shift.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Martial might be shit, we will know for sure in a few seasons. However, no attacking player apart from the big number 9s he's had in the front have enjoyed any type of success at this club in almost three years under Mourinho...none. It's not like we can even say they've been marginally good, they have been complete duds, so devoid of confidence they struggle to look competent.

Ibrahimorich

Martial did one of the only noteworthy things in the game for us going forward, when he dribbled (luckily tbf) past 2 defenders and tried to cross from the goal line.

I suppose Mourinho's comments were intended to be a dig at Martial but given that Sanchez wasn't even on the bench I think he was trying to say they're both shite.

Joeace2020

TBH he was asked about dropping Sanchez and not Martial. So I'm not sure it was a dig at Martial but still, I don't understand why he has to say something like that
He could have easily said "Look i gave Martial a chance today because he's been doing great and deserves it. I try to make sure i keep the rhythm of my players and Sanchez needed a rest so i gave Martial this chance and then maybe Snachez on Wednesday" A simple short reply rather than one that basically says "i do what you guys tell me since i can't be the manager anymore, i let you guys decide."He's certainly lost it. He doesn't even trust himself anymore. He sounds like a lower league manager testing the waters.

Nico87

We've had the issue for a long time now, tried different players and different managers. Yet the issue continues. So what's the common denominator? It used to be blamed on Rooney not so long ago.... West Ham front line who aren't a patch on the ability of our forward players really put in a shift.
But we've employed 3 managers with not wildly dissimilar philosophies on football, we've undoubtably upgraded the quality each time, but the fundamental concern of each is to prioritise making their team difficult to beat (ironically hasn't worked either) over attacking football, so we end up in this awkward juxtaposition of our teams not being coached or structured in attacking football but being too concerned with fan and pundit backlash to embrace to a fully defensive set up so commit fully to neither and end up in a limbo playing with no real intent.

I think the only way you can have success at clubs like Utd,Madrid,Barcelona and Liverpool is to actually embrace the attacking ethos of the clubs otherwise there is always a cloud hanging over the place which eventually becomes a storm.

Loublaze

ATLien
It didn't though, did it? And that invariably seems to be the case with Martial this year. Sanchez has been shit, but his performance against Burnley was far better than anything Martial served up today.
Sanchez was piss poor against Burnley, even getting the hook in the 61st minute for Rashford. Martial did more today than Sanchez did in that game, not by a whole lot but that one move I mentioned in particular was the difference. Sanchez can't even take on players anymore.

Hoof the ball

The feck? Martial, prior to this game has looked effective in his cameo's, and even in this game you can't criticise him because he was the best and most dangerous of a bad bunch!

Major

Supports
chelsea
Name me a manager who admits its his fault. Managers do that very, very rarely.
didn't Poch in one of the recent games Spurs lost, admit that it was his fault because he made the selection and set the tactics. Would find the link but I'm not allowed to post media so..

Wayne's World

He's some prick, he has the same cheek to come out and call every player under the sun but when one of his players (Pogba) does it and was right to do it too then he has a hissyfit about it

Should be fired tonight. Sick of his shite for the past three years

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's just an absolutely horrid man, isn't he?

Nanotron

Its pretty much like the stick a lot of pro mourinhos like to bash the mou out people.
I.e. wanting the team to lose so he goes quicker.

Thats pretty much what he is saying he did today to prove a point.
Ridiculous management and Id have to question where his head is at right now.
This has all the signals of ending in a mess anad again its only us the fans who fecking suffer.

Castia

Martial was abysmal yet again today, another massively over-rated player.
But put Ronaldo, Salah or anyone you want in Martial's position today what could they actually do in this system? We'd make Messi look wank.

I'm not excusing Martial, infact the whole side was yet again shite but the way we set up it's almost impossible to get anything out of the attacking players. We had 9 players sat deep for 70 minutes, the whole system was bizarre.

Canagel

He's an idiot. lukaku does feck all again yet he uses his post match time to dig out Martial who was the only player dropping deep trying to get on the ball/run at people and make things happen.