Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mcking

Mourinho. He actually cares about the club.

Baffles me to see how many people are taking Pogba’s side on this.
You can never say that about Mourinho.
It has actually reached a point where people now agree with Carragher's bollocks. I bet it wouldn't be so if it does not suit the agenda.

Last edited:

Martin L. Vandross

They both need to go. Pogba in January and Mou once we get a proper manager capable of developing talent i.e. not Zidane.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Carragher's point of view. I disagree with him in some aspects but I do understand exactly where he is coming from.
Agree 100% with him.

Pogba just seems to have such a self-absorbed, immature personality; Ibra was even more breathtakingly arrogant but underneath that he had the self-awareness and professionalism to underpin it that Pogba can only dream of.

Mcking

Treat the cancer, not the sores because the sores will keep on coming.
The truth is even if we cut out Pogba and keep Mourinho, it would make us worse on the pitch and the toxicity will be no better.
It has reached a point where there won't be any shift for the betterment under Mourinho and from this point, it can only get worse. It won't be long before he picks up fights with Pogba's replacement, the other players, the fans, the hierachy above him etc - it is in his DNA. We could trust him to resolve this, but history proves that this can only go one way, and that is the negative way. Soon, he would be picking up fights with his staff too. Remember Eva Caneiro? It was disgraceful.
A decent manager that can refer to his past successes, but he's nothing but a dinosaur right now and an awful personality. When he's not winning, he creates an uber-toxic environment. He tries to create a us vs the world mentality; makeout himself and his team the underdogs and blame everyone but himself. Those things can only work at a not so big club where he's not really expected to do much.
Anybody that think Pogba has not done much for this club could say the same for Mourinho too. He has said far worse but has somehow managed to get away with them.
Pogba have been nothing but loyal and professional in his football career and those closest to him and actually know him sing his praises - contrast that to Jose Mourinho especially when he's not winning.
It amazes me how much support Mourinho still gets from the fanbase.
The only way this can be resolved is to remove the root of all this toxicity, and that is Jose Mourinho.

Ibrahimorich

Whilst I am in the "we have to back the manager" (or descend into anarchy or worse - Chelsea) camp, I can't help but think they're both equally at fault.

Even if we did get rid of Pogba - which is the correct thing to do if that's what the manager wants - does Mourinho really deserve that backing? The football is dire. There's been no discernible improvement over 3 years in the style. Yes, results are better than Moyes and LvG but that's not asking much. This season is pretty much already over in terms of the league. We might get an FA Cup. That's not why Jose was hired though. He hasn't improved anyone except Fellaini, who shouldn't even be here.

We can't sack him mid-season, unless things REALLY deteriorate like his 2nd Chelsea stint but I'd be inclined to get rid of him at the end of the season and if Pogba wants to go as well, then he can feck off too.

It's not a real world solution but if we could loan Pogba out in January that might work for all parties.

It's a shit situation all around :(

Reactions: Grinner

Cloud7

AND, if this precedent was set, God help any new manager having to come in and deal with this wannabe gangsta and restore some respect and structure in the dressing room. It would take a monster of a new boss to do this!
The casual racism against Pogba never seems to stop. Some of you lot really need some introspection.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Pogba will go, Mourinho will hang about a bit longer to spread his toxic nonsense, then he'll go, and when he does, it'll be at the most inopportune time for us and it'll feck up the season.

stepic

get rid of one of the best (albeit flawed) midfielders in the world or a manager who most of the forum want gone anyway who has been having us play like shit for the last 2 years?

tough choice

Green_Red

Pogba needs to be disciplined for questioning the managers approach in public and he should be big enough and bold enough to understand the issues he has caused by what he has said. What he meant by his comments is always up for debate but at the end of thr day, whether you want Mourinho or not what we should want is a group of players that work hard for the team, the manager, the club and the supporters. If the manager gets it wrong then he will face the music eventually, but the players need to do their jobs and get on with it on the pitch above all.

We all seen Pogba was at fault for the equaliser against Wolves, so all the other players will have seen it too. We all heard his comments about our approach, so all the other players heard it too, which you could argue has he questioned his own teammates' desire to attack? Another debate I guess. But we've also seen that footage of him and Mourinho, so everyone at the club will have seen it too. What do people in and around the club make of it all. Pogba should shut his mouth, coming to training and train to win, get on the pitch and do his talking. I personally am getting fed up with him off the pitch. Just get on the pitch and show us why the club paid £90million for you ffs.

hn4manunited

Managers come and go too and are easily replaceable. Managers as you say are in charge of everything. If everything is a mess, change the manager and someone else can get more out of them and get more out of these tools.
Managers are not easily replaceable as proven by the years since SAF. Managers like you say are in charge, hence, player power cannot be tolerated and have to be clamped down. Manager vs player should always favor manager if we don’t want to set an untenable environment for the current manager and potential future managers. It is especially the case here where this player is not even good enough to justify unseating a serial winner of a manager. This player may have a lot of social media followers but the speaking on the pitch hasn’t been where it needs to be.

lawliet354

Overall has Pogba come even close to justifying that ludicrous transfer fee in the two and a bit seasons he's been here. Not by a longshot.
This is 100% the most important point.

I can't even take to Pogba I wish we had never signed him. (Again).
Has Mourinho justified his 400 million spending in the two and a bit seasons he's been here? Not by a longshot. And last season is the first time he didn't win anything in his second season as a manager, and now we are getting outplayed by promotion and league one team. This is 100% the most important point.

In Rainbows

For all those who would choose Pogba over Mourinho, let me ask you why did Deschamps not play Pogba left of a midfield three and why were Fance so defensive?
Pogba has played under Allegri, Conte, Mourinho and Deschamps, all classified as defensive, surely by now the penny should of dropped about releasing the ball early. and the defensive side of the game.

In Pogba first 6 Prem games this season.
Pogba has been dispossessed the most, he's had more unsusccessful touches, no interceptions, over 60 midfielder have made more tackles than him, remove the penalties, and all he's he's had 2 assist.

Didn't like the way he criticizied his team mates.

Still in the Jose camp
Crazy mental gymnastics. Pogba has been our best player this season.

And there's a difference between playing defensive and just failing to make the team play cohesive football. The latter is something we're suffering from right now. That wasn't always the case for Mourinho in the past despite his boring approach.

Managers are not easily replaceable as proven by the years since SAF. Managers like you say are in charge, hence, player power cannot be tolerated and have to be clamped down. Manager vs player should always favor manager if we don’t want to set an untenable environment for the current manager and potential future managers. It is especially the case here where this player is not even good enough to justify unseating a serial winner of a manager. This player may have a lot of social media followers but the speaking on the pitch hasn’t been where it needs to be.
Correct, managers are not easily replaceable when they're the right manager for the club. You can't just apply that to every manager though. Was Moyes easily replaceable?

Mou is clearly not that manager. He was in the past, but he's not for United.

ash_86

People saying Carragher's taking about Pogba to get him out of the club. Here what dear Gary Neville says

“Neville the pundit on Pogba would say, ‘He’s a talented player but I want to see more consistency and leadership,’” he told The Times.

“As a fan, honestly, part of me is that no one is bigger than the club and I am not interested in people who are looking left and right.

“So Paul, if you want to go play somewhere else, let’s make that work for you because Manchester United will be fine, don’t worry about that.

“If I was still in that dressing room giving personal advice it would be, ‘Paul, it’s obvious you want to play somewhere else but be professional.

“‘Don’t be someone who is seen as a mercenary or a mutineer. You don’t need to do that.’”

So you all now gonna say Neville doesn't care for the club anymore? Wake the feck up. Don't let your hate for Jose blind your eyes on what Pogba is doing.

el3mel

Speaks volumes for me that most rival fans are backing Mourinho in this and want us to sell Pogba.

Most of these fans despise Mourinho.
Does it though ? Pogba has never been rated by rival fans ever since we got him. Thy always labelled him overrated and overpriced. In fact, I actually think only us and French fans are the ones who rate him that highly, otherwise, most outside fans recognize him as overrated, good but not as good as United and French fans think him to be.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For all those who would choose Pogba over Mourinho, let me ask you why did Deschamps not play Pogba left of a midfield three and why were Fance so defensive?
Pogba has played under Allegri, Conte, Mourinho and Deschamps, all classified as defensive, surely by now the penny should of dropped about releasing the ball early. and the defensive side of the game.

In Pogba first 6 Prem games this season.
Pogba has been dispossessed the most, he's had more unsusccessful touches, no interceptions, over 60 midfielder have made more tackles than him, remove the penalties, and all he's he's had 2 assist.

Didn't like the way he criticizied his team mates.

Still in the Jose camp
Depends on what you look for in attack minded midfielder. I wouldn't rate Kante on his ability to attack.

Anyways in Premier league this season,
- Most goals by a CM
- Most dribbles attempted and completed by a CM
- Won 5th most aerial duels by a CM
- Third most passes by a CM
- Most accurate Long passes by a CM
- 6th most accurate Short passes by a CM
- 5th most chances created by a CM (2nd, 3rd, 4th are the players who takes set pieces, so from open play he is 2nd or 3rd)
- Most fouled player among CMs
- 7th in clearances by a CM

For just ManUtd it will be even more one sided. Most goals, assists, passes, dribbles, chances created.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

My opinion of this has not changed, the media are intent on creating rift between our manager and star player and are intent on forcing us to get rid of both.

There’s no better way to sell papers and get clicks than presenting United as in crisis, opposition fans love it, United fans will read it out of fear so it’s a win win. TalkSPORT are a discgrace though, every time I’ve listened over the past 6 days and has been almost exclusively about Mourinho and Pogba and asking which we should get rid of. Why is it assumed we have to get rid of either? One of the best managers in the world and the best midfielder in the world are what we need at the club.

FWIW we will not get a better midfielder at this club in terms of ability than Pogba any time soon. He’s out best player by far and you could see just how terrible our midfield was without him against Derby the other night. We cannot afford to lose Pogba, not in this market where any other club would value a player of that ability at £250m. There are frankly no players available capable of replacing his quality in my opinion.

I hope this can all be resolved/that it has merely been blown up by the media which I’m certain it has, just like the ‘debacles’, just like the supposed rifts with shaw, rashford, martial etc. Notice how it’s never our crap players that José is supposedly falling out with, why aren’t they going big on what he said about jones? It’s becuase the medias goal is to hurt the club, and how better than to unsettle our best players and manager? that’s what every oppo fan wants to read in this saturated world for football news..

MUFC OK

Depends on what you look for in attack minded midfielder. I wouldn't rate Kante on his ability to attack.

Anyways in Premier league this season,
- Most goals by a CM
- Most dribbles attempted and completed by a CM
- Won 5th most aerial duels by a CM
- Third most passes by a CM
- Most accurate Long passes by a CM
- 6th most accurate Short passes by a CM
- 5th most chances created by a CM (2nd, 3rd, 4th are the players who takes set pieces, so from open play he is 2nd or 3rd)
- Most fouled player among CMs
- 7th in clearances by a CM

For just ManUtd it will be even more one sided. Most goals, assists, passes, dribbles, chances created.
The media want him out of United, they know that we are basically finished with this current squad minus Pogba. He’s been fantastic so far this season. No wonder the likes of Souness and Carragher are getting behind it.

Last edited:

Footyislife

List of players i'd pick above Mourinho:
De Gea, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw, Pogba, Pereira, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Sanchez.

Woody kick him out already. Just get a new cigar sponsor to pay it off.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Mourinho has to go for me, him being there will only get worse.

The guy will start a fight with anyone, don't forget he fell out with the Chelsea team and caused a scene with his own physio.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
People saying Carragher's taking about Pogba to get him out of the club. Here what dear Gary Neville says

So you all now gonna say Neville doesn't care for the club anymore? Wake the feck up. Don't let your hate for Jose blind your eyes on what Pogba is doing.
Gary's 100% right. Pogba is talented as feck but he does seem to be very immature and has been disruptive lately. Doesn't matter if Jose is here next season or not for me if Pogba wants to leave United then sell him.

Mcking

You don't get rid of your best player for a manager that can't even get the players to play.
If it was Klopp, Poch or Pep against any of their top players, then the answer is obvious. But this is Mourinho.
He's done just as much as Pogba in terms of trophies, league positions etc - whilst being the actual manager. We seem to be heading towards doom with him at the helm and everything about the club is negative at the moment.
You would trust the club that is referred to as the biggest sports club in the world to make the right decision here.

tjb

I haven't dodged anything.

Il answer your question and then explain my case and in turn why your question is moot. Zlatan was standout for Jose as was Lukaku. Matic was consistently good and Shaw is coming good this year. Lingard was better under Jose too.

Now for the good stuff. The team as a whole has been much better under Mourinho. We went from 69 points to 81 points, our goal difference improved. We had better chance creation, gast breaks, more assists and shots on target since Jose joined over LVG. His win % has been 67% last season which is fecking good considering he lost Fellaini for 2 months, Pogba for 2 months, Bailey for 4 months with major ankle surgery and Herrera for 1.5 months.

He also had a higher activity zone in the opposition box, more sprints and more distance covered. So yeah the team has looked better in his tenure with greater purpose and better results.

To conclude its farcical for you to suggest the team hasn't improved because on the pitch and on results we pretty much have. I'd argue a 67% win percentage is pretty fecking good after a couple seasons.

Now you can beat your chest and lazily point to money spent. Or you can remember almost 2/3rds of that is on 2 players only. One who was necessary because Jose didn't inherit an Augero or Kane or Costa striker and the other a mistake but one he can make a profit on.

We can complain about how shite we are because we lost 2 and drew 1. Or we can remember it's September and we have a manager with superb pedigree and a track record of improving results at this club, even if you want to ignore all the things he's won elsewhere. We can give him the benefit of doubt earned from last seasons standings and back him without complaining over stupid issues and backing a diva player who isn't that good, isn't consistent and puts the team morale to shits for 3 match interviews running. Your choice, but I'd rather support my club and back the manager like 90% I'd the match going fans do. He earned it from the progress he's made thus far.
I would agree with you mostly if I thought the club were actually backing Mourinho, but I don't, and I mean this on all sides. The fans here have never really been in full support of him due to his percieved style of play ( despite the fact that personnel is largely responsible for this imo). I don't blame them as the united have not played consistently exciting football for many years, and they would like to see a return to that. This lack of support is the reason Mourinho gets consistent stick from the Mourinho despite good results, and is the reason despite finishing second, our summer was completely toxic. If the fans only see him as a short term fix or never wanted him at all, then whats the point of keeping him.

Secondly, the board no longer seem to be fond of Jose, and in truth this match was not as made in heaven as I first assumed. I initially thought Jose at a club like ours in which the board fully backed the managers would be able to turn united around. But poor personnel clearances, bad transfers ( particularly in defence), and off field issues have made me think otherwise. United is a conservative club that keeps things in house. Jose has been the opposite of that since his arrival, constantly in the news for the wrong reasons. In addition he made the fateful mistake of criticizing a supportive board, and the consequences of those actions have been evident this season already. The biggest thing however is the plan the club has moving forward. There is a plan to hire someone to deal more effectively with recruitment and partner the manager in bringing players in. Its a new structure, and I feel the club would want to start afresh with a manager more in tune with the style and image of the club. I would sell Pogba and sack Jose to achieve these things. Jose should not be worried, his management style, style of play and personality would still be appreciated at other clubs in Europe, particularly Inter. So both parties can leave with no ill feelings, while moving forward.

Fracture90

Hey if Pogba goes it will further solidify Mourinho's position in the club and we can look forward to a few more years of this exciting football and his classy behaviour off the pitch.

At least then Pogba will be in no immediate danger of being fined so we will at least get to hear what truly conspired between the 2 and get some saucy stuff for Jamie Carragher, who's wisdom these days has turned many a UTD fan to heed and further spread his word.

Fracture90

Speaks volumes for me that most rival fans are backing Mourinho in this and want us to sell Pogba.

Most of these fans despise Mourinho.
Yep, same when we were hoping for Rodgers and Hodgson to stay forever in Liverpool because bar that one season under Irish Klopp, they were dreadful.

Mcking

Gary's 100% right. Pogba is talented as feck but he does seem to be very immature and has been disruptive lately. Doesn't matter if Jose is here next season or not for me if Pogba wants to leave United then sell him.
If Pogba 'really' wants to leave, then there is not point in keeping him. It would be a disaster to get rid of him without much fight though, just because of Mourinho.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Has Mourinho justified his 400 million spending in the two and a bit seasons he's been here? Not by a longshot. And last season is the first time he didn't win anything in his second season as a manager, and now we are getting outplayed by promotion and league one team. This is 100% the most important point.
He didn't even sign Pogba it was a Woody signing.

JohnnyKills

You can never say that about Mourinho.
It has actually reached a point where people now agree with Carragher's bollocks. I bet it wouldn't be so if it does not suit the agenda.
Agreed. I really don't see how anyone can suggest Mourinho cares. Forget the hotel stuff - the way he slagged the club off after Sevilla was embarrassing.

If we had a manager we could get behind I'd back him 100%. But to be honest I think Pogba will be more valuable to us in the long-term.

Red_Ramirez

Pogba.

He is bigger than the manager, the management and any other player. He is bigger than the club and what it stands for.

Pogba brings in more insta likes than Jose or anyone of us can dream of. He can dab like no other and brings so much beautiful attention to our club...

Not only is he world champion but a social media champion too!

Pogba for player-manger. Lingard as assistant coach and Pobga's biggest fan and cheerleader Mino Raiola as football director

:drool:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Agreed. I really don't see how anyone can suggest Mourinho cares. Forget the hotel stuff - the way he slagged the club off after Sevilla was embarrassing.

If we had a manager we could get behind I'd back him 100%. But to be honest I think Pogba will be more valuable to us in the long-term.
My assumption is people only support Jose as that's what we did in the past when SAF was in charge. People forget that SAF was GOAT, so following that principle blindly will leads us nowhere. We should pick and choose what's best for the club. Manager>player always, doesn't work these days. Best example is Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Chelsea and few more successful clubs in last 5-10 years.

JohnnyKills

My assumption is people only support Jose as that's what we did in the past when SAF was in charge. People forget that SAF was GOAT, so following that principle blindly will leads us nowhere. We should pick and choose what's best for the club. Manager>player always, doesn't work these days. Best example is Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Chelsea and few more successful clubs in last 5-10 years.
Great post.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If Pogba 'really' wants to leave, then there is not point in keeping him. It would be a disaster to get rid of him without much fight though, just because of Mourinho.
Him and his cnut of an agent have disrespected United too much for my liking. I get that his relationship with Jose is bad and he's probably the main reason why he wants to leave but I just don't like the way he's gone about it. I would love for Pogba to stay at United because of his ability on the field but the off field issues can't be ignored. If he wants to go then let him go at a good price.

tonnas

Mourinho. He actually cares about the club.

Baffles me to see how many people are taking Pogba’s side on this.
Because we are playing dull football and the season is over in September. We won't achieve anything with Jose!

Sagittarius13

I'm from Mexico and in the poll I don't get who is who, so... The board will probably get rid of them both at the same time, because if they sack Mou and keep Pogba, they will be sending the wrong message where a player is more important than a coach, and it they sell Pogba the time of Mou in the team is up! I'm sure we won't even get through the group stage in Champions League. So we have to find us a new manager and a new world class player who can lead us to success.