Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
"If you want to press the ball all the time, you don't play short. If you are dominant in the air you go long. There are lots of poets in football but poets, they don't win many titles.
I read that a few times and I still don’t fully get what it’s saying; if you press the ball constantly why can’t you play “short”? Assuming short means passing your way up the pitch.

The two feel unrelated. How you defend as a team without the ball and how you move as a team with the ball are separate activities. The most ideal of those will always be active and aggressive pressing and fast and intricate passing - why can’t they go together?

caid

Part of the problem is that money spent on van gaal's signing are in a lot of cases not going to be that suited to Mourinho.
And by most accounts a lot of the signings in van gaals first season were set up and scouted by Moyes and he didn't seem to really rate them
(hererra and shaw were basically moyes signings weren't they?)
People are listing off figures that weren't spent by Mourinho on players that have been moved on since.
RVP, Kagawa, Falcao, Di Maria, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Depay are all gone. We spent ... what? 200m or so on that bunch, feck all use to us now though isn't it
People are listing off van gaals signings and conveniently leaving out Martial because it doesn't suit their point.
They're leaving out Lingard and Rashford which is actually relevant to our team now, today because it doesn't suit the narrative.

He was making one of two points imo
1. We need to spend more money (we do, blatantly so)
2. The players need to pull their shit together or he'll buy someone else to do it instead (fair enough imo, we've been pretty casual last 2 games and a kick in the ass wouldn't hurt)

We need to swap up our fb's and pick up an attack minded midfielder to make us less reliant on pogba.
Mikhitariyan and Mata are both dispensable and could and should be upgraded.
Were not going to do any of that without spending more

haram

I read that a few times and I still don’t fully get what it’s saying; if you press the ball constantly why can’t you play “short”? Assuming short means passing your way up the pitch.

The two feel unrelated. How you defend as a team without the ball and how you move as a team with the ball are separate activities. The most ideal of those will always be active and aggressive pressing and fast and intricate passing - why can’t they go together?
I think he is saying if the other team is pressing you go long.

Member 5225

This puts a lot of pressure on Jose next season, if/when we spend the money he feels is required to get us at the level we should be at.

Lukaku
Martial Pogba Winger
Matic Centre Mid
Left back
Jones Bailly Right Back
De Gea

In the next couple of season, we need to be buying in at least the positions highlighted. Maybe even another winger, as Martial is a striker. Possibly a centre back too.

Preferably, i'd like us to do it in one window, but if thats not realistic, and the right players are not available, then two seasons is fair.
I think you are spot on here.
That first team with the holes are perfect, we need to fill them and agreed re perhaps not achievable within only 1 more window.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We werent a mess? we had a fat alchoholic as our main striker, past it players like bastian, midfielders bought playing full backs, highest signing fecking off, players openly leaking to the press.
Most if not all of LVG's signings failed and moyes signings have been better used by mourinho than anyone else.
Depay - shit
Bastian- shit
Schniderlin - shit
Rojo - best under jose last year
ADM- fecked off
Blind- squad player at best
Herrera- one good year under jose
Shaw - Injured always
Fellaini - good under jose
Mata - Decent

That is not mourinho's fault where as city already had a better side by then .
Is being used 'better than LVG' supposed to be impressive? You appear to have set the bar near your ankles.

When LVG was floundering, our players were apparently not terrible but were being underutilised. Which to an extent was true. Our football under LVG was not a reflection of our team given his tactical decisions appeared to harm us more than help.

Funnily enough, City were also considered a bit of a mess when Pep came. Stones, Kompany, Bravo/Hart, Mangala, Otamendi were considered a laughing stock. Zabaleta, Kolarov and Clichy were useless fullbacks who consistently got overrun and didn't have the legs. Their midfield was basically Fernandhinio who wans't even that good under the previous manager, and chaps like Fernando and before him Rodwell. Seriously weoful stuff. They had Sterling out wide who everyone enjoyed laughing at, and Navas who was basically a poor man's Anthony Valencia.

City's squad was better. I do agree with that. But we finished 5th (City 4th) when Jose took over, and he spent 300 million since. So A) United being a mess and City having world class players misrepresents the facts/gap and B) Jose improved our squad by signing the right players (in some positions) which made sure there was not much between the two squads at the start of the season (at least on paper). I dont have a problem with another year to win stuff. Patience is good, but let's not put a blanket over our issues and pretend the manager cant be held accountable for anything.

amolbhatia50k

Forget six years, Jose can't even get one and a half without people expecting big trophies. We're at the level we should be if you look at the last 3-4 seasons. It's been made to look a lot worse by a freak City team.
Big trophies are expected at a big club. No matter where Bayern/Barca finish their fans will want big trophies if they're spending 150 million every summer. People forget that we're probably the 3rd biggest spenders in Europe right now and Jose has gotten a huge chunk to spend himself.

Regardless, I don't see many people upset that we're not winning the big ones right now. Pretty much every criticsm is about our football and how far behind we are from the current league leaders. Yes, City are having a freak season and I have no issue with us being behind them this season. Sometimes the other team is just better. But it's easy for everyone behind City to excuse their own selves using them as a shield.

Criticism or praise for us, if valid, should be made, whether City are having an unbelievable season or not.

amolbhatia50k

The revisionism on this site in incredible. I remember season 15/16 on here as if it was yesterday and almost 99% were disillusioned with our football and results that season. Yes, we won the FA Cup, however, similar to our EL cup victory last season, we played a shit team in every round and almost fecking lost to Palace in the final. We were being carried on the backs of a 19 year old for the first half of the season, lost to some unknown team from Scandinavia whose name no one knows how to spell which, incidentally, allowed us to identify another kid to help carry us to the FA Cup final.

I'm guessing you forgot all the games at OT we drew, or failed to score in, or failed to have any shots on goal. Honestly, this site has too many posters with short term memories. We were shite in 13/14, not shite in 14/15, dreadful in 15/16, somewhat shite last season, too. But, the way some people speak about it, you'd think we were a few fixes from becoming world beaters again. Before Mourinho joined, the only thing Manchester United knew how to do was passing the ball sideways or backwards. I'm not even saying that he's transformed us into something great, but what we're seeing now is a HUGE improvement on the shower of shite we witnessed in van Gaals last season.

Insomnia curing, some called us.
No one has forgotten that. But given how terrible everyone thought LVG was, and the fact that he had handbrakes on us, why is it such a big deal that we are playing like a normal team now? For me, that was only to be expected. Just because we had two terrible managers, it doesn't mean not being terrible after that is like this huge deal. It isn't difficult to release the pointless chained put in place by another.

haram

No one has forgotten that. But given how terrible everyone thought LVG was, and the fact that he had handbrakes on us, why is it such a big deal that we are playing like a normal team now? For me, that was only to be expected. Just because we had two terrible managers, it doesn't mean not being terrible after that is like this huge deal. It isn't difficult to release the pointless chained put in place by another.
Van Gaal bought some absolute shite and set us back a few years. We still have to clean some of them out. The players he signed were good enough to fight for top 4, not the league.

amolbhatia50k

Bottom line, ain't it?

Give the manager, whoever he is, time. That's my stance and has been ever since Fergie retired. Let him build a team according to his standards and methods.

No problem. Patience is my middle name compared to certain posters on here.

But the moment you even suggestively use “lack of funds” as an excuse for not challenging properly, not playing cohesive attacking football, not having a squad versatile or big enough to compensate for central players being injured – well, that's when I call bollocks.

The Glazers have done a lot of things. Depending on who you ask, they've done a lot of bad things too (essentially stopped funding what was more of a “family club” prior to the takeover) – but they certainly haven't been stingy with the transfer budget as such post Fergie. Nobody can claim that. There are posters on here who seem to peddle the idea that we simply can't compete with City anymore, because they've spent X millions more than we have on players – and feckknowswhat on full backs, not least – making the task essentially impossible even for the person still hailed (by those posters) as the greatest manager in the world.

The greatest manager in the world doesn't need to outspend his rivals. The actual greatest manager in the world did not outspend his rivals when push came to shove.

You don't need money to organize an attack. You need extreme amounts of money to “build” a side capable of beating anyone if you don't know how to drill attacking moves – that's the plain truth of the matter.
Bang on the money.

I find it amusing really. If Klopp complained about this then I'd actually ponder about it. Or I might not given his teeth would be begging me to punch them. In any case, he could make the claim that he's done all he could, which is, put in place a tactical set up that gets his players and team playing fluid cohesive attacking football. And his players are following that script to a tee which everyone can see. But that he needs a bit more money to spend on a defender or two to make it result in something bigger. All this considering how much they spend.

Can Jose really make that claim? He spent 300 million when he had 4th/5th placed team in a league where the other 4/5 biggest teams do not spend as much as he does/can. It just doesn't add up I'm afraid. It would make some sense if we spent less or if it was blatantly obvious that Jose was squeezing every inch out of what he has. But he isn't. His own "key signing" Mkhitarian has been absolutely dreadful. Lukaku has question marks over him. And Lindelof is probably busy skiing or whatever he does in his leisure time.

amolbhatia50k

Van Gaal bought some absolute shite and set us back a few years. We still have to clean some of them out.
Excuses.

City bought some absolute shit too.

Which of LVG "absolute shit" is here anyway?

haram

Excuses.

City bought some absolute shit too.

Which of LVG "absolute shit" is here anyway?
Well we got rid of the absolute shit like Depay but some of the average is still in the squad. Darmian and Blind are two. We still use them at fullback. Our fullbacks are ex wingers. Mourinho had to sign Pogba and Lukaku which is half of what his total spend is. Meanwhile Pep already had de Bruyne and Aguero at the club and so didn't have to spend the big amounts we did.

It's not excuses. City clearly had a better base to go off. That's why they could spend 130 million on fullbacks this summer.

amolbhatia50k

Surprised to see this sort of post coming from you, squad is good enough to play attacking football sure but to challenge City who are on 55 points from 57?

As for Lindelof taking time to settle, why is it a surprise that a foreign player is taking time?
I should have been clearer. City's season is a freak one and I don't actually have an issue with us being behind them or even at a bit of a distance. What they're doing is not going to happen again and for me it exceeds their actual quality. What I meant by challenge was A) in the a normal season (their season isn't normal) and B) in this season, to be 5-8 points behind. 15/16 is a bit shit really.

I have no issue with a player taking time to settle. In the Lindelof thread itslef, I said people need to be patient with new players especially from weaker leagues and under 24. However, the context I was speaking in was of squeezing every bit out of your squad and hence his inclusion was warranted.

amolbhatia50k

Well we got rid of the absolute shit like Depay but some of the average is still in the squad. Darmian and Blind are two. We still use them at fullback. Our fullbacks are ex wingers. Mourinho had to sign Pogba and Lukaku which is half of what his total spend is. Meanwhile Pep already had de Bruyne and Aguero at the club and so didn't have to spend the big amounts we did.

It's not excuses. City clearly had a better base to go off. That's why they could spend 130 million on fullbacks this summer.
Blind is a good footballer. Have people forgotten his performances under LVG at CB? Just because Jose doesn't fancy him, it doesn't make him "absolute shit". Apparently there's no limit to Jose worship. Darmian is crap though, I'll give you that one. He's also one, amusingly, the caf drooled over.

Talking about City's fullbacks - how important have Mendy and Danilo been to their success this season? I think you know the answer. It's convenient to hide behind the expensive fullback point just because Jose made it. But City have improved greatly in other areas too.

amolbhatia50k

Sure.
in 1 year, Jose won a domestic trophy and a European trophy.
In 2 years, LVG won a domestic trophy.
They're such big trophies, those, that I'm overwhelmed by the weight of your point.

haram

Blind is a good footballer. Have people forgotten his performances under LVG at CB? Just because Jose doesn't fancy him, it doesn't make him "absolute shit". Apparently there's no limit to Jose worship. Darmian is crap though, I'll give you that one. He's also one, amusingly, the caf drooled over.

Talking about City's fullbacks - how important have Mendy and Danilo been to their success this season? I think you know the answer. It's convenient to hide behind the expensive fullback point just because Jose made it. But City have improved greatly in other areas too.
Blind is average and is not good enough for a team challenging for the league.

You are missing the point with the fullbacks. Pep already had De Bruyne and Aguero. He didn't have to spend money bringing these players in. Meanwhile Mourinho did have to bring in Pogba and Lukaku which takes up a lot of the budget for both seasons. If Pep has to bring players of this calibre in he probably doesn't get his 130 million spend on fullbacks when he has just spent big money on Sane, Gundogan, Stones etc. They are just further ahead than us. The team under van gaal was nowhere near challenging for the title. The players were good enough for top 4 challenges. Players like Depay and Schneiderlin. Players like Sterling had already challenged for the title.

Us still having Young, Valencia, Darmian and Blind for fullback choices isn't good enough. Sagna, Clichy, Kolarov, Navas wasn't good enough for City either.

Quality strikers and CM's are probably the most expensive players in the world.

amolbhatia50k

Blind is average and is not good enough for a team challenging for the league.

You are missing the point with the fullbacks. Pep already had De Bruyne and Aguero. He didn't have to spend money bringing these players in. Meanwhile Mourinho did have to bring in Pogba and Lukaku which takes up a lot of the budget for both seasons. If Pep has to bring players of this calibre in he probably doesn't get his 130 million spend on fullbacks when he has just spent big money on Sane, Gundogan, Stones etc. They are just further ahead than us. The team under van gaal was nowhere near challenging for the title. The players were good enough for top 4 challenges. Players like Depay and Schneiderlin. Players like Sterling had already challenged for the title.

Quality strikers and CM's are probably the most expensive players in the world.
Blind is/was a squad player and a good one at that. Not to Jose's liking which is why he should go.

So what if Pep didn't have to buy these top players? We had to and did. They had to improve the "legs" in the team and did. Both managers improved the squad where they had to. At the start of the season everyone thought the squads were level or thereabouts. Even if you coul argue that City are slightly better, A) the difference shouldn't be 15 points and B) we should play more cohesive and fluid attacking football regardless. The money is more than enough to do that.

haram

Blind is/was a squad player and a good one at that. Not to Jose's liking which is why he should go.

So what if Pep didn't have to buy these top players? We had to and did. They had to improve the "legs" in the team and did. Both managers improved the squad where they had to. At the start of the season everyone thought the squads were level or thereabouts. Even if you coul argue that City are slightly better, A) the difference shouldn't be 15 points and B) we should play more cohesive and fluid attacking football regardless. The money is more than enough to do that.
The point is we are second and above everyone else. We are behind a team that was ahead of us already. People talk about us spending 300 mill like half of it wasn't just to land Lukaku and Pogba. Pep not having to spend anything on De Bruyne and Aguero did him a massive favour. We are behind them in our squad building, probably a similar position to where City were last season. Jose is saying we need to spend more to catch city, and it's true. Our points total is good. The gap is 15 points because City are outrageous this year. We played some good football at times. It can be better and more consistent though. Even Pep had troubles last season.

Where Jose picked up from LVG was worse than what Pep picked up. We probably are a season or two behind. Remember it was 3 years of damage under Moyes and LVG.

amolbhatia50k

The point is we are second and above everyone else. We are behind a team that was ahead of us already. People talk about us spending 300 mill like half of it wasn't just to land Lukaku and Pogba. Pep not having to spend anything on De Bruyne and Aguero did him a massive favour. We are behind them in our squad building, probably a similar position to where City were last season. Jose is saying we need to spend more to catch city, and it's true. Our points total is good. The gap is 15 points because City are outrageous this year. We played some good football at times. It can be better and more consistent though. Even Pep had troubles last season.

Where Jose picked up from LVG was worse than what Pep picked up. We probably are a season or two behind.
As of now. That gap has closed and we're only half way through the season. Let's see where we end up. I see a lot of people handing us some weird second placed trophy already (not specifically you).

Also, it's possible to play quality and cohesive attacking/other football without spending 400 million instead of 300 million. This is just a convenient curtain to hide behind. With regards to challenging, Jose will have to challenge next season. There's only so long you can keep wheeling out the same lines of rebuilding.

haram

As of now. That gap has closed and we're only half way through the season. Let's see where we wend up.

Also, it's possible to play quality and cohesive attacking/other football without spending 400 million instead of 300 million. This is just a convenient curtain to hide behind. With regards to challenging, Jose will have to challenge next season. There's only so long you can keep wheeling out the same lines of rebuilding.
And we have played some good football, especially at the start. Injuries have not helped us. What would the other teams look like if their best player was out for over 2 months? We can argue about play styles or whatever, but we are still second.

City are further ahead than us. We are now up with Chelsea who won the title last year. Considering the dross we were under van gaal this is progress. It's just that City are further ahead and always were. The money they spent was on top of players like Aguero and De Bruyne. That's a big difference.

If Mourinho had walked in with Pogba and Lukaku already at the club, what more could he have accomplished with the 300 million? Probably added a fullback, RW, AM etc. We would then be further along in our squad building. That's where City were when Pep arrived.

Last edited:

Social Madworks

Pep has City play as a team, attack as a team, defend as a team. I can't say the same for Jose.

Regarding injuries, Jose himself declared, at the start of his 1st season with us, that he has had very good record with injuries in all his previous clubs.

So, either he was over confident, or he has really very little experience in managing injury crisis.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Im starting to feel like mourinho is digging his own grave. There is no need to come out with such excuses because they make him look stupid. Money...players.. fans..and what not. Except his tactics everything is at fault in United.

There are teams in the league with far less spend then mourinho ... Playing far better football than United. Why not just get on with the results and reply on the field.

This rant is showing shades of his last Chelsea season where he lost it completely.

Water Melon

Im starting to feel like mourinho is digging his own grave. There is no need to come out with such excuses because they make him look stupid. Money...players.. fans..and what not. Except his tactics everything is at fault in United.

There are teams in the league with far less spend then mourinho ... Playing far better football than United. Why not just get on with the results and reply on the field.

This rant is showing shades of his last Chelsea season where he lost it completely.
Agreed.

haram

What teams do you think play better football than us?

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Mourinho is just hiding behind excuses
What teams do you think play better football than us?
Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Tottenham all play better football than mourinho's United. The passing , the movement ..the cohassive link up play is all there to see. Im not saying they dont have their flaws, barring city none of them is a complete team so they are going to have some downside, but their attacking play is better than United all day long.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get why Mourinho is moaning at all. United are actually doing quite well. Every team has some shitty results over a full season. Comfortably 2nd after half a season with 2.15 ppg is not bad by any standards. Mourinho doesn't need to come up with any excuses.

Perhaps City's freakish season so far is taking its toll on him. Considering the bitter history between him and Pep, Mourinho might be having a tough time stomaching what Pep has done at City in the same time with, although not equal, but similar resources as him.

haram

Mourinho is just hiding behind excuses

Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham all play better football than mourinho's United. The passing , the movement ..the cohassive link up play is all there to see. Im not saying they dont have their flaws, barring city none of them is a complete team so they are going to have some downside, but their attacking play is better than United all day long.
There are many examples of them all struggling and not playing well especially against teams that sit deeper. We have had games where we have played good football as well. I'm not going to argue against the fact that these teams play better football than us, but really the gap is not as wide as people think. On top of that we have scored as many goals as them, had our best player out for over two months and sit above them anyway.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Mourinho is right. Just look at the starting 11 yesterday, it's nowhere near good enough. We wouldn't fear playing against it.

Any team would fancy their chances against a defence with Rojo, Shaw and Young in it. A past it Ibra, slow Mata and greedy blind alley Rashford aren't an attack to worry about.

Jaybomb

He’s fecking right.

Look at how much City spent on their bench if you don’t believe it.

suhaylah

He bought dross like Lukaku, Mikhitaryan, Lindelof and an old Zlatan. It's Mou's fault if the team has not really improved.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get why Mourinho is moaning at all. United are actually doing quite well. Every team has some shitty results over a full season. Comfortably 2nd after half a season with 2.15 ppg is not bad by any standards. Mourinho doesn't need to come up with any excuses.

Perhaps City's freakish season so far is taking its toll on him. Considering the bitter history between him and Pep, Mourinho might be having a tough time stomaching what Pep has done at City in the same time with, although not equal, but similar resources as him.
Just 1 point ahead of Chelsea, 5 ahead of Liverpool. Comfortably ?

haram

He bought dross like Lukaku, Mikhitaryan, Lindelof and an old Zlatan. It's Mou's fault if the team has not really improved.
Lukaku is not dross. Lindelof has done ok so far and Zlatan was on a free.

Time for Ed Woodward to man up and tell him if he doesn't like it he can sod off.
Yes because that's how we will compete with this City side.

Darkhorsez

I don’t understand why there is 15 pages here on his comments. I don’t see from the quotes i’ve read where he is saying we don’t spend enough or we need a bigger budget to compete with City. He is responding to questions the press ask and they lead him down the path. Now, we can be critical of him, his style, some of his decisions, his investments etc but I don’t see the relevance of some of the comments in thread TBH just based on the comments. I think some have made up their minds on him and any comments made is being interpreted to fit those decisions.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
No matter who he signed he was never going to be able to compete with a team that wins 19 out of its first 20 games was he? Lack of money (lol really to claim this) doesnt explain draws against Leicester and Burnley while being knocked out of the league cup by Bristol. Mourinho as usual is going to blame everyone and everything instead of just acknowledging that his rival has been bloody brilliant and is on course to break every record in the PL. Best chance he has it to keep building and plugging away while hoping that City run out of steam in the next couple of seasons allowing Utd to win one.

Werd.

After watching the presser, don't see what the big fuss is really. Reporter asked him a question and kept adding fuel to the fire and Jose responded likewise and the point he was making was bang on. Also, he mentioned he is happy with the job his players are doing and they will keep going.