Mourinho's press conference

Redtilldead84

I admit a couple of years ago I was one to be unsure about Jose at Manchester United but after what we've had and the talk of Giggs I've warmed to the idea despite what I thought I always thought he was a great manager always loved an ego in any sport when backed up! (Come on we all loved cantona and Ronaldo especially when there ours!) watching the press conference I was surprised... He seems to be definite on most things he talked about didn't come in say he was the 'idiot one' he was a breath of fresh air wether this is because of what I've seen in the last 3 years I don't know! Loved how he cheekily let us know where hopefully getting 4 instead of keeping us in the dark! Let's just hope Jose is the man that sorts this crap out and he's found his home because he can be special!

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
After this press conference, it's fair to say José's back. There were more shots fired than in the battle of Normandy.

Segment

" in spite of many players are not here to start the pre-season, I have a group that is waiting for me on Thursday" - Who are these players? Any guesses?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
" in spite of many players are not here to start the pre-season, I have a group that is waiting for me on Thursday" - Who are these players? Any guesses?
Jones,Carrick,Herrera,Mata,Blind,Young,Lingard,Depay,Januzaj for starters.

Basically all the players who weren't at the Euros or Copa America.

Segment

Jones,Carrick,Herrera,Mata,Blind,Young,Lingard,Depay,Januzaj for starters.

Basically all the players who weren't at the Euros or Copa America.
Those players you've listed will definitely enjoy it, they are to go into a session with Jose who is hungry to get back onto the field. Doing what he does best.

Acole9

Outstanding
Very bullish in his press conference which was good to see. I really enjoyed his exclusive interview with Mutv as well.

vk20legend

I was very much looking forward to this press conference and my take on it:

First thought as he came in was " Come on Jose, not even a suit for the first PC?"

As expected and predicted by me earlier, the first question was What _____ One was he now? I thought he handled that stupid question really well.

Was really impressed with how he saw us as a club and where he wants United to be. This is what we want in a manager of United. I liked how he said, he wanted to be aggressive and wanted "everything". I believe him.

His answers on signings was completely fine and I didn't think we were after 6 or 7 players either and it made sense. I still believe this squad is better than what the previous managers have achieved with it. We have a manager with a plan and I am all for it.

I'll admit I cringed a bit when he took out the paper to explain his youth policy. He could have done without. I also don't completely buy his "I gave 49 players a chance" argument or his reasoning of low injuries and him having to compete for titles all the time that prevented him from giving more chance to youth. SAF did it while competing for trophies. But of course SAF is a one of a kind manager, so let's leave that aside.

He could have just said, "This club is famous for it and the structure here and the environment would allow me to promote more as the fans are used to seeing young players and would support them even if they had a few bad games. So it'll be easier." or something along those lines. I just hope he realizes that and trust some young talents to develop here at United.

The way he started answering the Giggs part of the question, I was worried that we might see a rant, but he handled it perfectly. Honest, direct, complimentary and the correct way to put the issue to rest and not have it hang around.

I absolutely loved that he confirmed that Rooney won't play 6 or 8. I am glad he has given a definitive answer on that issue. Thank God for that.

By the time the PC came to an end, I was completely sold and if he delivers I don't care if he gave his next press conference in tank tops and boxer shorts!! :D

I am pumped for the new season and can't wait for it to start.

P.S: I want to thank the person who sent me the river which helped in watching the press conference live. Cheers.

Phil

It feels right. I'm looking forward to the new season.

Dobbs

Somehow Real, Barcelona and Chelsea make it work regardless.
Not sure about that. With a proper pre season focused on fitness not money I'm sure they'd get even better results.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The MUTV interview was interesting, not least because he clearly sees Bailly as a CB right away (not an RB initially), and Rashford and Ibra as his two CFs.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Saying all the right things.

Fed up of these "pre seasons" though. Such a waste of time in footballing terms. All the money we pump into sports science and the medical facilities but then we take huge short cuts on the core fitness work.
What do you mean by this?

Camilo

Quite enjoyed that! But I wish he wouldn't paint himself into corners with comments like the Rooney one.. And also making comments like that before he's even met most of the guys.. doesn't seem necessary.

But what do I know!

AkaAkuma

I thought he hesitated a bit when he said Rooney wouldn't be an 8.

Also, he was pointedly clear on not signing players on the 31st of August.

Both were messages to the higher ups.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I thought he hesitated a bit when he said Rooney wouldn't be an 8.
I've also noticed that. He had to stress the point, otherwise there would still be an ambiguity about his stance: “Mourinho didn't said Rooney couldn't be #8”. Now we know that, for him, Rooney can only play upfront (10, 9,5 or, in special circumstances, 9). But it might come to haunt Mourinho, if one particular day he needs Rooney to drop to #8, for instance, while chasing a result.

AkaAkuma

I've also noticed that. He had to stress the point, otherwise there would still be an ambiguity about his stance: “Mourinho didn't said Rooney couldn't be #8”. Now we know that, for him, Rooney can only play upfront (10, 9,5 or, in special circumstances, 9). But it might come to haunt Mourinho, if one particular day he needs Rooney to drop to #8, for instance, while chasing a result.
I'm not sure contradicting himself is a problem for him.

I think he hesitated because he knows that Rooney would be a difficult player to drop if he isn't performing as a 9 or 10.

jem

And with one press conference, all my misgivings fly out the window. The guy is nothing if not confident and magnetic.

Water Melon

Under certain circumstances even crazier things happen on a pitch. Sometimes a defender put the keeper's gloves on. Or a striker plays as a winger or even a WB if need be. What Mourinho meant was that he did not see Wayne as # 6 or 8 in his team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So what? Rooney might drop deeper here and there, especially in the final minutes I can see him play in midfield if we win 1-0. Let's not hang onto every single word, of course he will be pragmatic. What is pretty sure though is that he wont start Rooney in midfield (which is great) and (at least so I hope) wont play him unless he's not in top form

SqueakyWeasel

Martial?

Darmian was a beast in Italy and he has more to offer. I think that he's gonna click really well with Mourinho.

Fellaini and Rojo can go.
That's why it's called an opinion, if we all thought the same we wouldn't need the board would we :)

Shit, just seen I wrote Martial … Meant Memphis! :lol: Hands up! I'm having a mare of a morning! :boring:

Changing my original post now :o

Gause

Not even 24 hours yet but there are already so many salty responses from the press and Arsenal fans. I just hope Jose's confidence and arrogance can fully inspire the players and us fans to get together and win our 21st this season, because it feels like the war is on and its surely gonna be a lengthy one.

Dobbs

What do you mean by this?
It's straightforward isn't it? LvG said the training in China will be rubbish. Now Mourinho has said the point of the tour is exposure to the Chinese fans rather than fitness.

We've all been complaining for years about injuries and our poor pressing game. Maybe it's because we neglect pre season. When we should be building our core fitness for the upcoming season we're busy selling ourselves. Flying here, there and everywhere.

This is a pretty crucial season. Just once I wish we'd forget about a pre season driven by money. We should be off to a warm weather training camp in Portugal or something.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's straightforward isn't it? LvG said the training in China will be rubbish. Now Mourinho has said the point of the tour is exposure to the Chinese fans rather than fitness.

We've all been complaining for years about injuries and our poor pressing game. Maybe it's because we neglect pre season. When we should be building our core fitness for the upcoming season we're busy selling ourselves. Flying here, there and everywhere.

This is a pretty crucial season. Just once I wish we'd forget about a pre season driven by money. We should be off to a warm weather training camp in Portugal or something.
Christ, exactly how bad do you think summer in Manchester is?

Dobbs

Christ, exactly how bad do you think summer in Manchester is?
Eh? It's been pissing down for weeks.

Heading off to a warmer climate for pre season has been going on for decades across all clubs. There are obvious benefits.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

I'll accept that the tours can be a distraction.

But how much training do you think happens? The hours of rest are more important than the hours of training, to a point.

I'd imagine that we've looked at things from a football perspective and balanced things accordingly. ie No flying within several hours after a training session, players given mandated sleep schedules and so on.

I couldn't truly comment without knowing what kind of schedule we're keeping, but the fact is that footballers have never been fitter. Every major side is flying around lots. We're not hampering ourselves when compared to other big sides. There will be a fortune spent on planning travel, sleep, training and nutrition.

You could also speak for all of the positive externalities; Players experiencing new things away from home, out of their comfort zone, as a group. Being constantly stimulated, not staring at the same pitch, hotel and faces for 6 weeks.

There are so many factors at work, I don't think that a period of warm weather training is an absolute stand out winner when speaking of pre season.

Dobbs

I'll accept that the tours can be a distraction.

But how much training do you think happens? The hours of rest are more important than the hours of training, to a point.

I'd imagine that we've looked at things from a football perspective and balanced things accordingly. ie No flying within several hours after a training session, players given mandated sleep schedules and so on.

I couldn't truly comment without knowing what kind of schedule we're keeping, but the fact is that footballers have never been fitter. Every major side is flying around lots. We're not hampering ourselves when compared to other big sides. There will be a fortune spent on planning travel, sleep, training and nutrition.

You could also speak for all of the positive externalities; Players experiencing new things away from home, out of their comfort zone, as a group. Being constantly stimulated, not staring at the same pitch, hotel and faces for 6 weeks.

There are so many factors at work, I don't think that a period of warm weather training is an absolute stand out winner when speaking of pre season.
I don't agree with most of your points unfortunately.

Mate get MUTV for the pre season. You'd be amazed at how disrupted the training is by the commercial endeavours.

Last year they were landing at night and immediately going out to train as by the time they woke the following day there wouldn't be time. It's just one example of many.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"It’s a new chapter in the club’s life. Always when you change a manager, I feel it is a sad moment but it is a new chapter now. We have brought a few new faces in, we will keep some others but, in the end, it doesn’t matter who the manager is, it doesn’t who the new players are or who is staying or leaving, it’s Man United and Man United is much more than any one of us.

"The passion the fans have is for the club and I feel that I am a club man. When I arrived, I wore the [United] shirt immediately and this is the kind of club and the kind of shirt that I am very proud to represent. I am going to do my best to be happy and to make the people happy."
Jose's interview for adidas