Muffled cries of “I told you so” from behind a green and gold scarf / blame it on the glazers part V

UnitedFan93

This is lovely and all that, but do you think Jose could have done slightly better with £400m spent?
Did he need to treat some of the player the way he did?
Or set us up like some sort of lower league team away to giants?

You can't tell me another manager can't do better, with or without the glazers.
Absolutely I totally agree with you - Mourinho underachieved and I totally agree with his sacking.

I do feel that a new manager will bring positivity and hopefully a better brand of football. However, all this does is paper over the cracks and continues to let the Glazers drain money out of the club. They take £22million out of the club each year in dividends, at a time when the debt stands at £487 million, and after already draining £1.1 billion out of the club!

As i said the club is falling behind in all areas, not least in infrastructure. Once upon a time, United had a modern 75,000 capacity stadium that was the envy of the nation. Whilst our rivals had old 35,000 seater stadiums that were fallings to bits, we led the way. The same could be said of our training ground, which was state of the art at the time. Back then the other clubs were struggling to keep up.

Look now, its us that is falling behind. Take Tottenham for example, a club 1/10 of our size has a better training ground and a soon a modern futuristic stadium that will set them up moving forward. All our rivals have modernised their stadiums and narrowed our capacity advantage. Yes, these clubs have taken on debt but it is good debt. Once their debt has been paid off, they will have modern stadiums/training grounds. Once our debt is paid off, we will be left with a stadium 20 years older and a training facility not fit for the supposedly biggest club in the world. The OT roof will still be leaking and the paint will still be peeling off.

I love Old Trafford, and I never want to leave the place, however, the place badly needs upgrading. It probably needs a £500 million investment in order to modernise it. However, this is not going to happen anytime soon given the current debt levels.

The money that has left the club should have been spent on long term infrastructure investments rather than on worthless debt. We can all thank the Glazers for that!

Have the Glazers provided enough money for transfers? Yes, they have, however, they only invest when it is necessary (to protect the value of the club) and they will invest the money also for commercial rather than sporting reasons. We buy social media superstars rather than football superstars! Once we finish outside the top 4, watch us spend £150 million in the summer in order to please the fans/sponsors and ensure season tickets sell. However, like last season, when we finish top 4 the money dries up. Let’s face it, our aim now is top 4 finishes, as it is the most profitable way to run a football club.

Sporting success and pride has gone out of the window with the Glazers! I remember a time when the league title was almost a given and finishing second was gutting! How times change thanks to the Glazers!

Reactions: Sultan

Crashoutcassius

Just wait for the resident caf financial experts who just googled the term mortgage to tell you how loans arent bad because they increased the value of the club by 200 percent as if it's some achievement.

However I disagree that a manager won't change much. I mean even if were bad were not 7th position bad. At the very least we will be back to playing some football.
loans aren't particularly bad. you get tax relief on interest payments so it is somewhat efficient to have some portion debt and the rest equity (eg which have to pay dividends with no tax relief)

our excess loans in the early doors were very very bad but the loans and debt these days are harmless and quite normal for any business.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
loans aren't particularly bad. you get tax relief on interest payments so it is somewhat efficient to have some portion debt and the rest equity (eg which have to pay dividends with no tax relief)

our excess loans in the early doors were very very bad but the loans and debt these days are harmless and quite normal for any business.
It's not the loans that are bad. The thing is we haven't grown nearly good enough for a club of our stature and until recently lagged behind on many other aspects

Keefy18

If anyone thinks the sacking of Mourinho will solve all our problems then they are going to be extremely disappointed.
Nonsense, I discussed this recently with @cheeky_backheel and its starting to show that I was indeed right. Woodward couldn't put a DoF in place with Jose there. There's a lot of rumor now today that a DoF is definitely going to be appointed alongside the new manager, basically modernize.

Cheeky doubted me and as I pointed out to him Jose fell out with the Chelsea board not once but twice over a DoF.

The reality is that the root cause of all our problems still remain and that is the Glazers. A new manager will be appointed, face the same challenges as Mourinho and will then be sacked in 2/3 years time. Rinse and Repeat. Let's face it Reds, the Glazers are only here for one thing and one thing only, and that is the money.
As mentioned above, they made the big decision well before top 4 was gone and us still in the CL and we still get folks like you drumming up nonsensical rhetoric.

Only here for money? Like ALL club owners... ALL! City's owners are absolutely fleecing that club blind at this point. Reality is this, the Glazers have put in well over 1billion to United weather its facilities, youth or the first team and our wage bill has tripled under Jose's watch. We now have Sports...not football, but Sports largest wage bill.

Every single club owner wants profit on their investment, your living in denial if you think some owner is going to come along and spend all their money on the club and put themselves out on the street for your entertainment for god sake, the notion is hilarious when I read sentiments like this.

And before I hear that boring reply of dividends, Christ don't folks realize dividends were always paid to share holders. It was the same with Edwards and the rest long before the Glazers rocked up to OT. Edwards put the club in its current commercialized state. He ignored FA rules and worked around them so he could line his own pockets. He's still raking in millions to this day from the club.

The treat the club as a personal ATM machine and couldn't care less if we play good football or not. They only care about the value of the club and whether Old Trafford is a full house for every game. Once the value of the club started to fall, and empty seats started to appear, they acted. That tells you everything you need to know about them! That was why Mourinho was sacked!
More nonsense, folks like you have given it loads about "Oh he'll only get sacked when Top 4 is mathematically impossible." Well your wrong and he was sacked for simply doing a woeful job after being financially backed.

Under their ownership we are starting to fall behind in all areas, whether it's on the pitch (squad/playing style) or off it (stadium/training ground) It's not really a surprise however. Everyone knew that the debt that the Glazers placed on us would catch up with us one day. It's an absolute disgrace that £1.1 billion that left the club to service a debt that we never should of had. It's also an absolute disgrace that the debt still stands at £487 million! How much money is it going to cost us to be debt free? Probably £2 billion! It's probably going to cost the club close to 2 billion pounds to have the pleasure of being owned by the Glazers! How anyone defends them I don't know!
Fall behind in all areas?

How in the blue hell is it the boards fault if manager can't get results on field? They've given this current manager alone €400m in transfer fees and then trebled our wage bill to over €300m. That's just Jose.. and 700M approx of the over €1 Billion I mention above that has been pumped into the club by the owners. Yet your blaming hoof football on The Glazers? How is it the Glazers fault on team selection? On our inability to have an identity in playing style? Or picking centre midfielders as centre halves? That's on Jose and Jose alone.

Stadium is still one of the very best in Europe and one of the largest.

They've invested heavily in facilities and youth and our youth team is absolutely ripping it up domestically with Chong, Gomes and Greenwood impressing massively both here and in Europe.. Yet Jose has ignored them completely pretty much.

Until the Glazers go and the debt along with them, I repeat, nothing changes.
More ridiculous hyper bole with zero reality attached. The debt is sweet FA in reality and could be cleared. The loan has been restructured and isn't hurting us in anyway at all.

UnitedFan93

The issue is the difference between good debt and bad debt. Good debt is where you take on debt, but once the debt is paid off you are left with a valuable asset, hopefully worth more than the cost of the debt (I.e borrowing to fund a stadium development). The Glazer debt is a bad debt - once that debt is paid off, what asset will we be left with?

It doesn't matter what tax relief we get from that debt - no tax relief savings will outweigh what we have to pay for the worthless debt. The interest we pay today for worthless debt is still a drain on cash reserves!

I come across fans who feel that the debt is worth having because we have the Glazers on board. Many defend the Glazers by saying that 'they have significantly increased the revenues of the club in particular commercial revenues and made the club more profitable’ – This is clearly to benefit themselves – a more profitable club means a more valuable club which means a more valuable asset.

Supporters treat the Glazers like they are some sort of corporate geniuses who took over the club and suddenly made it commercially appealing and the most valuable club in the world.
Let’s get this straight; the club was already the most commercially appealing football club with the biggest revenues (along with Real Madrid) way before the takeover.

The Glazers have simply marketed the brand of the club and picked up sponsors based on the worldwide support that was built on sporting success way before the Glazers had arrived. If anything, we should thank Fergie and not the Glazers for our current commercial appeal. With the rise in TV money also, the jump in revenues would have happened with or without the Glazers. In reality they have made no difference but cost us an absolute fortune and many lost years in development!

UnitedFan93

Nonsense, I discussed this recently with @cheeky_backheel and its starting to show that I was indeed right. Woodward couldn't put a DoF in place with Jose there. There's a lot of rumor now today that a DoF is definitely going to be appointed alongside the new manager, basically modernize.

Cheeky doubted me and as I pointed out to him Jose fell out with the Chelsea board not once but twice over a DoF.

As mentioned above, they made the big decision well before top 4 was gone and us still in the CL and we still get folks like you drumming up nonsensical rhetoric.

Only here for money? Like ALL club owners... ALL! City's owners are absolutely fleecing that club blind at this point. Reality is this, the Glazers have put in well over 1billion to United weather its facilities, youth or the first team and our wage bill has tripled under Jose's watch. We now have Sports...not football, but Sports largest wage bill.

Every single club owner wants profit on their investment, your living in denial if you think some owner is going to come along and spend all their money on the club and put themselves out on the street for your entertainment for god sake, the notion is hilarious when I read sentiments like this.

And before I hear that boring reply of dividends, Christ don't folks realize dividends were always paid to share holders. It was the same with Edwards and the rest long before the Glazers rocked up to OT. Edwards put the club in its current commercialized state. He ignored FA rules and worked around them so he could line his own pockets. He's still raking in millions to this day from the club.

More nonsense, folks like you have given it loads about "Oh he'll only get sacked when Top 4 is mathematically impossible." Well your wrong and he was sacked for simply doing a woeful job after being financially backed.

Fall behind in all areas?

How in the blue hell is it the boards fault if manager can't get results on field? They've given this current manager alone €400m in transfer fees and then trebled our wage bill to over €300m. That's just Jose.. and 700M approx of the over €1 Billion I mention above that has been pumped into the club by the owners. Yet your blaming hoof football on The Glazers? How is it the Glazers fault on team selection? On our inability to have an identity in playing style? Or picking centre midfielders as centre halves? That's on Jose and Jose alone.

Stadium is still one of the very best in Europe and one of the largest.

They've invested heavily in facilities and youth and our youth team is absolutely ripping it up domestically with Chong, Gomes and Greenwood impressing massively both here and in Europe.. Yet Jose has ignored them completely pretty much.

More ridiculous hyper bole with zero reality attached. The debt is sweet FA in reality and could be cleared. The loan has been restructured and isn't hurting us in anyway at all.
I think you're missing the point.

I'm not debating what an owner of a football club can or can't do with that football club. I'm debating whether the Glazers have been good owners for Manchester United. I am looking at this purely from a Manchester United perspective.

You seem to imply that I am surprised that the Glazers are taking out dividends or that the Glazers are looking for a return on 'their investment'. I'm not. As owners of the club they are free to do as they please. If they want they could pocket all the profits each and every summer, however this still doesn't mean it is good for the club given the current debt levels.

The fact remains that the Glazer debt has so far cost the club £1.1 billion and that debt still stands at £487 million. The debt is not going away and will have to be paid off one day. The longer we sit on the debt the more the debt is going to cost the club as interest builds up. With that in mind, to fully clear the debt, it will probably cost the club somewhere between £1.6 billion to £2 billion - an absolute ridiculous amount of dead money. We might as well of just thrown £2 billion into the Manchester Ship Canal!

An important question to ask is whether it has been worthwhile for the club to have the Glazers as owners given the costs associated with their ownership? What have the Glazers brought to the table that other owners couldn't? Business intelligence? Commercial acumen? Yes, the value of the club has increased, as has the club revenues, but this would of happened with or without the Glazers! United were already the most valuable football club with the biggest revenues way before the Glazers arrived. Every club in the Premier League has seen their revenues/club value increase due to sponsorship inflation and the rise in TV money. United are not some unique case.

So again, what have the Glazers provided to the club? Yes, we won some trophies during the SAF years of their ownership. However our success was despite the Glazers not because of them - I give SAF full credit for our success during those years. The Glazer debt made it incredibly hard for us to compete at the highest level during Fergie's last few years especially against clubs who had owners pumping money into that club.

Anyone remember the summer of 2009 when we lost Ronaldo and Tevez? Rather than reinvest the world record Ronaldo fee, that large sum was used to pay the ridiculously large debt repayments at the time. How brilliant! We lose the best player in the world and a world class player like Tevez, and end up with Valencia, Owen and Obertan! What about the days of 'no value in the transfer market?' - this Glazer approach resulted in us losing out on Hazard because we wouldn't pay £5 million to his agent!

You also mention that all club owners are only there for the money. I agree with you to an extent. However, give me an example in the world of football where an owner of a football club has taken so much money out of that club like the Glazers and placed so much debt on that club? United were debt free since 1945 before the takeover. Debt free and cash rich. The takeover then happened and we were suddenly £500 million in debt with large interest rates on that debt. Is that the sign of a good owner putting the interests of the club first? The reality is that the Glazers were never rich enough to buy United outright which is why they are getting the club to pay for their own takeover.

In my opinion, a good owner can chase a return on their investment and at the same time put the long term interests of the club first. When John W Henry purchased Liverpool he bought the club with his own money, and cleared the outstanding debt in the process. Since then, Liverpool have expanded/modernised Anfield and are in the process of completely upgrading their training ground. This is a proper long term investment which will benefit Liverpool even when Henry is no longer at that club. This is just one example of many in the Premier League where the owners have put that club first. Unlike the Glazers.

You also state that the Glazers have put well over £1 billion into the club. Have they really? If by investing, you mean letting the club spend it's own profits, then fair enough. However, consider this: Since 2005, I imagine United has generated more revenue/profit than any other club in the world. How has this money been invested? Have we invested this money wisely? Half has probably gone on the worthless debt and half on transfers/wages. When we buy a player, it is normally for commercial rather than sporting reasons. The Glazers will love Pogba (even when failing on the pitch) because he attracts sponsors/sell shirts which ultimately benefits them as the value of their asset will increase. However, is this a solid investment which will guarantee returns over the long term for the club?

Have the Glazers invested heavily in infrastructure? They haven't spent a penny on Old Trafford since the takeover apart from painting the tunnel walls red! They even got Kohler to fund the new dressing rooms! The only money spent on infrastructure was a £15 million expansion of the Aon Training Ground Complex. Hardly a massive investment considering Leicester City are about to spend £100 million on a new training ground.

Old Trafford is large but very dated. It needs a massive overhaul and probably a £500 million investment. Are the Glazers going to fund this? No, because the return on their investment is too long term, and the current debt remains a barrier to any investment. Are we going to borrow £500 million when we are already £487 million in debt? There is the problem - the current debt today is a barrier to any proper investment that benefits the club long term. Check out the stadium plans of Real Madrid and Barcelona - If Old Trafford is dated now, what will it be like in 10 years? The debt should be because of an Old Trafford stadium development rather than for the pleasure of being owned by the Glazers.

When the Glazers do invest they invest by putting their interests first and not the clubs. The way they run the club is not sustainable and extremely damaging. Their sole interest is to maximize commercial revenues for their own personal gain. However, without proper investment, sponsorship money will eventually dry up. Equally, we now attract players because we can pay them more money than any other club, however, again this is not sustainable.

I'm pretty sure the Glazers have an exit strategy and in the mean time they will do everything to maximize the clubs value without giving a second thought to the state of the club that they will leave behind. These last 13 years, there has only been one winner, and that is the Glazers!

I repeat, how anyone can defend them I don't know!

Last edited:

Keefy18

I'm not debating what an owner of a football club can or can't do with that football club. I'm debating whether the Glazers have been good owners for Manchester United. I am looking at this purely from a Manchester United perspective.
We've certainly had our ups and downs with them alright, can't say otherwise. When we were successful under Fergie folks didn't mind too much. The gravy train rolled on.

You seem to imply that I am surprised that the Glazers are taking out dividends or that the Glazers are looking for a return on 'their investment'. I'm not. As owners of the club they are free to do as they please. If they want they could pocket all the profits each and every summer, however this still doesn't mean it is good for the club given the current debt levels.
Agreed and folks often forget this and think we'll get some wonderful owner who will put themselves on the street for us.

The fact remains that the Glazer debt has so far cost the club £1.1 billion and that debt still stands at £487 million. The debt is not going away and will have to be paid off one day. The longer we sit on the debt the more the debt is going to cost the club as interest builds up. With that in mind, to fully clear the debt, it will probably cost the club somewhere between £1.6 billion to £2 billion - an absolute ridiculous amount of dead money. We might as well of just thrown £2 billion into the Manchester Ship Canal!
Well this is the problem many of our supporters don't understand. If new owners are to be found, if they leverage the buy out it could increase the debt already on the club. If the club is bought out in one lump sum would funds also then be available immediately to the manager? You'll be hard pressed to find an owner willing to part with $4b for the buyout and then quickly lump hundreds of millions investing in the team as well.

So the likelihood is an increase in debt.

An important question to ask is whether it has been worthwhile for the club to have the Glazers as owners given the costs associated with their ownership? What have the Glazers brought to the table that other owners couldn't? Business intelligence? Commercial acumen? Yes, the value of the club has increased, as has the club revenues, but this would of happened with or without the Glazers! United were already the most valuable football club with the biggest revenues way before the Glazers arrived. Every club in the Premier League has seen their revenues/club value increase due to sponsorship inflation and the rise in TV money. United are not some unique case.
That's a half truth your posting here. Whilst we were still the most marketable and profitable, Woodward has put Gills efforts at generating revenue to shame. So you are wrong to say this would of happened with or without the Glazers. Woodward is the golden boy for the Glazer family and his work on the business side is nothing short of mind boggling in reality.

His ability to find new revenue streams has helped in turn to improve the training facilities, fund youth set ups and of course the aforementioned huge transfer fees and ever increasing wage bill at the club. Without Woodward doing this none of the above would of been possible to do all at once as we have done.

So again, what have the Glazers provided to the club? Yes, we won some trophies during the SAF years of their ownership. However our success was despite the Glazers not because of them - I give SAF full credit for our success during those years. The Glazer debt made it incredibly hard for us to compete at the highest level during Fergie's last few years especially against clubs who had owners pumping money into that club.

Anyone remember the summer of 2009 when we lost Ronaldo and Tevez? Rather than reinvest the world record Ronaldo fee, that large sum was used to pay the ridiculously large debt repayments at the time. How brilliant! We lose the best player in the world and a world class player like Tevez, and end up with Valencia, Owen and Obertan! What about the days of 'no value in the transfer market?' - this Glazer approach resulted in us losing out on Hazard because we wouldn't pay £5 million to his agent!
Some truth here but also mitigating factors to consider also.

The Glazers took majority ownership in May 05, at that point Ferguson had a very strong group of players, young players in fact that could dominate domestically and in Europe for years to come. If you go back to the Glazer family original investment in 03, it was a few months after Ferguson broke a record on Rio at the time. From there he added Ronaldo for a reasonable fee for a teen of approx 18-19m? Rooney quickly followed for another record fee for a teenager. Our scouting found us 2 absolute gems in Vidic & Evra then and in the following 2 years we added 3 more additions in Carrick, Nani & Anderson who were again not exactly cheap. Berbatov also followed for a considerable lump some of approx 34m I think? RVP was a record for a 29yo at the time as well and I recall there being a lot of reservations about his fee vs injuries and longevity.

Truth is, Ferguson had a very good squad through those early years of the Glazer ownership and we were either winning or challenging for league titles consistently and performed better each year in the Champions league also, why was there a need for huge investment at this point?

You pin pointed the 09 transfer market and I do agree that was some woeful business. Was it all on the Glazer family? Not a chance.

What about Fergusons refusal to deal with certain agents? Raiola the obvious one, it cost us Pogba who was at the club already. We missed out on Hazard, Kompany and Aguero to name but a few. It's no coincidence that once Fergie retired did the club start becoming more involved with agents and trying to sign top quality players.

I also believe Ferguson's ability to judge a player was seriously on the wane as well. Remember his judgement of Phil Jones? He stated he could be better than Duncan Edwards! Incredible statement really! He opted for square pegs in round holes quite often in those latter years when there was no need, Pogba the obvious example where he was left on a bench whilst he opted for a midfield of Neville and Fabio I think it was vs Blackburn!

You also mention that all club owners are only there for the money. I agree with you to an extent. However, give me an example in the world of football where an owner of a football club has taken so much money out of that club like the Glazers and placed so much debt on that club? The reality is that the Glazers were never rich enough to buy United outright which is why they are getting the club to pay for their own takeover.

In my opinion, a good owner can chase a return on their investment and at the same time put the long term interests of the club first. When John W Henry purchased Liverpool he bought the club with his own money, and cleared the outstanding debt in the process. Since then, Liverpool have expanded/modernised Anfield and are in the process of completely upgrading their training ground. This is a proper long term investment which will benefit Liverpool even when Henry is no longer at that club. This is just one example of many in the Premier League where the owners have put that club first. Unlike the Glazers.
Leeds is the obvious answer isn't it?

You're right they didn't have the funds, but below you then mention John W Henry. Thing is, Henry got Liverpool on the cheap after Hicks & Gillett made a loss on the sale and I think it cost less than 300m for ownership. United on the other hand were already close to $1b to buy out in 2005 even! The Glazers paid more than Double what Henry did 5 years earlier (factoring in inflation).

Yes they've used the club to leverage their ownership but that's common in business practices and the thing is as mentioned, we won't find owners who will buy us out in a lump sum, clearing the debt AND... then pumping money into the club for youth, facilities, transfers and wages all at once due to the clubs valuation now. It'd take a top 10 richest person in the world type to now take ownership of United and meet all those requests you'd imagine.

You also state that the Glazers have put well over £1 billion into the club. Have they really? If by investing, you mean letting the club spend it's own profits, then fair enough.
Well you agreed above that they can take the profits for themselves if they so wish. They don't have to put this money back into the club do they? They have though and they've invested in facilities, youth, transfers and wage bill

How has this money been invested? Have we invested this money wisely? Half has probably gone on the worthless debt and half on transfers/wages. When we buy a player, it is normally for commercial rather than sporting reasons. The Glazers will love Pogba (even when failing on the pitch) because he attracts sponsors/sell shirts which ultimately benefits them as the value of their asset will increase. However, is this a solid investment which will guarantee returns over the long term for the club?
We've invested in plenty of players that don't fit this "Galactico" tag like Bailly? Lindelof? Lukaku? Matic? Mata? These are not anything close to Galacticos.

The reality is Ferguson papered over a lot of cracks in those latter years (09-13 in particular). He let the team rot and fall apart and his refusal to deal with agents hurt the club. His and Gills choice of successor was a farce and Gill ran the minute his golden ticket expired and how exactly did he help with the transition of the club post Fergie? It's amazing the amount of abuse for Woodward / Glazers but you oft read Gill is a genius and bring him back. I reckon Gill largely got lucky with Ferguson and coasted by. No coincidence he tucked tail an ran when Fergie did is it? He still takes his fair share of dividends too though, yet no one complains either. As mentioned above, Woodward is making a joke out of him on the business side of things.

Have the Glazers invested heavily in infrastructure? They haven't spent a penny on Old Trafford since the takeover apart from painting the tunnel walls red! They even got Kohler to fund the new dressing rooms! The only money spent on infrastructure was a £15 million expansion of the Aon Training Ground Complex. Hardly a massive investment considering Leicester City are about to spend £100 million on a new training ground.
Yes they have, remember LVG talking about the huge upgrades he asked for on the training ground? Camera's and all sorts put in and tonnes of new equipment to help with injuries. Jose also said the training facilities were upgraded during his stint a few months after his arrival. They've also heavily invested in the youth set up as well in recent years, hence the huge up turn in performances / results for the youth team last year and this.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-reveals-extensive-changes-10055590

Old Trafford is large but very dated. It needs a massive overhaul and probably a £500 million investment. Are the Glazers going to fund this?
As for OT, I've genuinely no idea. As you state its a huge project that is extremely costly even for a club as profitable as ours. It's no small task to do this, however the Glazer family own land around OT and it seems its an option?

It does look dated in parts alright, but its hardly falling apart and one of the largest stadiums still in the country. I doubt they expected the post Ferguson era would be so costly, nearly 1b in transfers alone and now an annual wage bill of some 300m!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-uniteds-owners-been-buying-11520814

They are not perfect by any means but a club of this size and the mismanagement from so many avenues has hurt the club every which was the last 10 years approximately. Everyone has their part in the blame from Ferguson, Gill, Woodward and the Glazers to all the managers.

All we can hope is that the penny has now dropped and these next 6 months are vital in that we get in a DoF, lower the wage bill by offloading a lot of unnecessary players and build back our identity as a team and plan for years ahead.

Reactions: Rood

ravelston

Just a couple of things. First could you explain where the £1.1 billion comes from - it's more than I've seen before. Second is about the aftermath of the Ronaldo sale. If you look at FY2009, 2010 and 2011 you'll see that we had more than £150 million in cash in the bank for the whole period. It was there for SAF to spend if he saw fit - apparently he didn't. (It's also worth noting that we scored 68 goals in the Prem in the last Ronaldo and Tevez season - we scored 86 in the next with Rooney, Berbatov and Valencia picking up the slack.) The last thing is just to note that we've spent £146 million on our fixed assets since 2005. Not enough to give us the spanking new stadium that we need, but a bit more than £15 million.