Muffled cries of “I told you so” from behind a green and gold scarf / blame it on the glazers part V

Rory 7

I’m never going to ‘support’ the Glazers - but post Sir Alex planning should have been (and was) with David Gill, not the owners. Very convenient of him to walk away when he did.

They are not going anywhere - they have a £3-4bn asset that is the best run financial club in the world.

I understand the criticism of the owners, but much of it is through a lack of understanding of finance and debt - there is good debt and bad debt. Furthermore, many fans who want a different owner, who just throws money at the team, has no debt, and is willing to spend £4bn to have a personal plaything are living in cloud cuckoo land. The Glazers are by no means perfect, but are a hell of a lot better than most owners. Just imagine if we had someone like Mike Astley and we played at the Sports Direct Arena Old Trafford.
But my criticism isn’t of the debt. My criticism is of lack of vision.

But my criticism isn’t of the debt. My criticism is of lack of vision.
That’s fair enough, I said it was one of the big criticisms, certainly not the only one. Football is very short term though - I’m really not sure there are many clubs that have a vision. City yes - but they have the only manager in the world who can entirely change the way a football club plays and is backed financially.

But I don’t see a vision at Real, Barca, Bayern. Football changes with the trends very quickly, and we were lucky to have Sir Alex, who kept changing and adapting. You could argue that Moyes was an appointment with a vision, being in the (allegedly/ and clearly obviously not) same mould as Sir Alex and we got our fingers burned.

Managerial appointments are 50% (at least) luck. You can have a vision, but what if it doesn’t work?

I’m certainty not saying we have been well led over the last 5 years, but on the football side of things, so much is down to good fortune and hoping you get the right manager. If not Jose, then who?! If not Woodwood, then who? Is a director of football suddenly going to make us ok? No guarantee, and DoF like managers have very mixed results, and like most managers, most of them fail to meet expectations. I don’t know what the answer is, but what I do know is that our managers have been given unprecedented funds to try and get things right on the pitch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That’s fair enough, I said it was one of the big criticisms, certainly not the only one. Football is very short term though - I’m really not sure there are many clubs that have a vision. City yes - but they have the only manager in the world who can entirely change the way a football club plays and is backed financially.

But I don’t see a vision at Real, Barca, Bayern. Football changes with the trends very quickly, and we were lucky to have Sir Alex, who kept changing and adapting. You could argue that Moyes was an appointment with a vision, being in the (allegedly/ and clearly obviously not) same mould as Sir Alex and we got our fingers burned.

Managerial appointments are 50% (at least) luck. You can have a vision, but what if it doesn’t work?

I’m certainty not saying we have been well led over the last 5 years, but on the football side of things, so much is down to good fortune and hoping you get the right manager. If not Jose, then who?! If not Woodwood, then who? Is a director of football suddenly going to make us ok? No guarantee, and DoF like managers have very mixed results, and like most managers, most of them fail to meet expectations. I don’t know what the answer is, but what I do know is that our managers have been given unprecedented funds to try and get things right on the pitch.
A mildly competent manager would a good start. The type of manager who will appreciate and make use of the excellent training facilities at his disposal, a transfer and wage budget that few rival clubs could possibly hope to match, a world-renowned scouting system that practically covers the entire globe and a youth system that used to be the envy of the world. Given the near-limitless resources at their disposal, it sounds ridiculous to say that the last 3 managers of our club have failed dramatically, but it is fact nonetheless.

The next manager absolutely must have a vision that reflects the clubs traditions and is willing to work towards a common goal shared by the board and fans of the club, not a clinically depressed narcissist who cannot see beyond his own need for self-preservation. I believe (hope!) Woody and co have learned from past mistakes, of which there are many, and their next appointment will be a success.

4th time lucky?

fellaini's barber

Couldn't have said this better, people talking about these other clubs have this perfect vision where they know exactly what will happen with each manager while ours just pick names out of a hat. Real Madrid's vision as far as I can tell is lack of tolerance of failure and to just keep hiring till something sticks. Madrid and Barca hired debut coaches and it worked, not because they planned it all out. If it didn't they'd have fired them and hired someone else. We actually picked a PL proven manager in Moyes based on Fergie's recommendation, backfired spectacularly, there was also a chance that he could have done a Pep. City got lucky with Pep and the fact that even under the managers before him they always bought well, we've been unfortunate to hire Jose and LVG spending similar amounts on shite mostly. Now Madrid have hired someone else not doing so good, they'll fire him, and keep hiring till they get a successful manager, and if they keep buying well, eventually it comes off, so will Barca. Not because of some spectacular vision. Only thing I'd say we really need is better football people making major decisions as Woody seems to just do whatever his manager tells him. It's just amazing just how all this board scrutiny has begun all because the manager is failing.

CA1

"We knew the club (Everton) would move in that direction, very good players, players from Barcelona. So that is the level which Everton wants to reach. Their ambitions are very similar to our ambitions.”

I agree with most Jose says

However I actually think Moshiri has more ambition for Everton than the Glazers for us.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
"We knew the club (Everton) would move in that direction, very good players, players from Barcelona. So that is the level which Everton wants to reach. Their ambitions are very similar to our ambitions.”

I agree with most Jose says

However I actually think Moshiri has more ambition for Everton than the Glazers for us.
I disagree.

If our owners shared a similarly low ambition to that of Everton's, they would not have appointed proven winners such as LVG and Jose Mourinho, the likes of which have claimed a multitude of honours, both domestically and on the European stage, managing some of the biggest clubs on the planet. Rather they would have set aimed for relatively unknown quantities such as (and the following examples are totally random) Koeman, Martinez, David Unsworth, Big Sam or Marco Silva.

Note I did not include David Moyes as I am not entirely certain whose decision it was to appoint him. Malcolm Glazer, Fergie and Donald Duck are the prime suspects, though.

CA1

I disagree.

If our owners shared a similarly low ambition to that of Everton's, they would not have appointed proven winners such as LVG and Jose Mourinho, the likes of which have claimed a multitude of honours, both domestically and on the European stage, managing some of the biggest clubs on the planet. Rather they would have set aimed for relatively unknown quantities such as (and the following examples are totally random) Koeman, Martinez, David Unsworth, Big Sam or Marco Silva.

Note I did not include David Moyes as I am not entirely certain whose decision it was to appoint him. Malcolm Glazer, Fergie and Donald Duck are the prime suspects, though.
Everton would appoint Van Gaal or Mourinho had they wanted to come 100%.

I don't think Mourinho would want to at this stage but Everton would have the ambition for it 100%.

Same with whoever we appoint next.

Cloud7

Couldn't have said this better, people talking about these other clubs have this perfect vision where they know exactly what will happen with each manager while ours just pick names out of a hat. Real Madrid's vision as far as I can tell is lack of tolerance of failure and to just keep hiring till something sticks. Madrid and Barca hired debut coaches and it worked, not because they planned it all out. If it didn't they'd have fired them and hired someone else. We actually picked a PL proven manager in Moyes based on Fergie's recommendation, backfired spectacularly, there was also a chance that he could have done a Pep. City got lucky with Pep and the fact that even under the managers before him they always bought well, we've been unfortunate to hire Jose and LVG spending similar amounts on shite mostly. Now Madrid have hired someone else not doing so good, they'll fire him, and keep hiring till they get a successful manager, and if they keep buying well, eventually it comes off, so will Barca. Not because of some spectacular vision. Only thing I'd say we really need is better football people making major decisions as Woody seems to just do whatever his manager tells him. It's just amazing just how all this board scrutiny has begun all because the manager is failing.
One of the biggest issues with us, and I cannot stress this enough, is that the club takes far too long to get rid of underperforming managers. All three of Moyes, Vangle and Mourinho have been here for far longer than they should have been. A big factor for this I think is the fans and the “stand by your manager” mantra. That speech that SAF gave has been the biggest anchor around the neck of the club since that day. Look at the reaction when the stories that came out about José being sacked after Newcastle. Neville was on tv talking about the club being toxic, fans were all coming out in support of Mourinho like nothing seen since his first season, it was crazy. I have no doubt that the mentality of the fans plays a part in the clubs unwillingness to get rid of managers in a timely manner.

Another thing that I wonder about is the contracts we give to managers. We always hear about the pay off that we will have to give a manager if we sack them, but why is this not an issue at any other club? Do we offer different terms in our managerial contracts maybe, I really don’t know, but United is the only club I ever hear of this being an issue at.

I’ve went off on a tangent, but I agree about your point that so much of this is based on luck. We are a club that has been properly successful under TWO managers in a 100+ year history. As fans of this club in particular I don’t understand how hard it is for people to understand that you can get multiple managerial appointments wrong, it’s not difficult to fathom.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Everton would appoint Van Gaal or Mourinho had they wanted to come 100%.

I don't think Mourinho would want to at this stage but Everton would have the ambition for it 100%.

Same with whoever we appoint next.
You're missing the point, mate.

The board clearly set their sights on the best possible candidates for the role when they recruited LVG and Jose Mourinho. For me, this is a clear indicator that they shared/share similarly lofty ambitions to that of supporters and club associates in general.

Offsideagain

Utd net spend under Mourinho £315m, Guardiola £395m according to the MEN. Other sources have Guardiola spending £600 m since he arrived at City so I can’t figure out who he sold for £200m unless it was 50 squad players.

The money has been available but hasn’t been spent wisely or at the right time. Woodward is partly to blame as is Jose for buying a few duds like Bailly. For those who think the Saudi’s will breeze in with a skip full of money I’m afraid you will be disappointed. Vanity purchases like City are rare and given that the Saudis are now toxic it’s nailed on that all the sponsors would disappear. We are stuck with the Glazers for a while yet but even worse, we’re stuck with Woodward making the purchasing decisions.

fellaini's barber

One of the biggest issues with us, and I cannot stress this enough, is that the club takes far too long to get rid of underperforming managers. All three of Moyes, Vangle and Mourinho have been here for far longer than they should have been. A big factor for this I think is the fans and the “stand by your manager” mantra. That speech that SAF gave has been the biggest anchor around the neck of the club since that day. Look at the reaction when the stories that came out about José being sacked after Newcastle. Neville was on tv talking about the club being toxic, fans were all coming out in support of Mourinho like nothing seen since his first season, it was crazy. I have no doubt that the mentality of the fans plays a part in the clubs unwillingness to get rid of managers in a timely manner.

Another thing that I wonder about is the contracts we give to managers. We always hear about the pay off that we will have to give a manager if we sack them, but why is this not an issue at any other club? Do we offer different terms in our managerial contracts maybe, I really don’t know, but United is the only club I ever hear of this being an issue at.

I’ve went off on a tangent, but I agree about your point that so much of this is based on luck. We are a club that has been properly successful under TWO managers in a 100+ year history. As fans of this club in particular I don’t understand how hard it is for people to understand that you can get multiple managerial appointments wrong, it’s not difficult to fathom.
How about the contracts we give to players? Renewing contracts of people we should be letting go. And the outrageous wages we just throw around to everybody and our inability to sell. We're waiting for a manager to tell us we should upgrade on Valencia and Young, something we should have done something about long ago. We're waiting on a manager to tell us we need to get rid of Darmian and Rojo etc. Why on earth did we even give Rojo a new contract? Or Fellaini, though it's understandable how crucial he is to Jose's football. We'll probably give renewals to everyone next summer as there'll be lots of players whose contracts will be up instead of selling or letting most of them go.

These are the kind of issues people should have with the the board, not attacking them because the manager they gave $400m is losing to bottom league teams. Imagine if Moyes lasted 2 seasons, we probably would have let him bring the whole Everton here. That's why I'm really happy with Woody for not letting Jose con him to buying Willian, Maguire or Toby for $70m, like Matic we'd be looking to shift them after one season. Gave me hope that at least he's not a total numpty. That's why it pisses me off seeing all this anti Glazer crap to defend Jose. We're pretty much the only big club who just hire a manager and let him do whatever the feck he wants as long as you meet the target position they give you without interference, before this summer at least. Buy loads of dross, play soul destroying football, shit on the club and the players, just get 4th place and you're grand. Give us your transfer list every summer, we try our best to get them usually by overpaying as we never have a Plan B and get out of your hair till season end. Look at how much crap we let LVG bring in yet some fans are still defending him. We could have let LVG get rid of DDG ffs!

Rory 7

I think you’d be better off following Real Madrid.

Cloud7

Interesting times at O.T.

I mean, I really can’t blame them for being upset at being late twice. That really is horrible logistics management for it to happen twice in such quick succession. Reaching a game late will make the players edgy and affect their performance, even to a small degree. Less time to relax and get focused before the game etc.

Jojo <3 Mou

I mean, I really can’t blame them for being upset at being late twice. That really is horrible logistics management for it to happen twice in such quick succession. Reaching a game late will make the players edgy and affect their performance, even to a small degree. Less time to relax and get focused before the game etc.
Agree. I hope that the management can fix the issue. It shouldn't be that hard to solve; we look like amateurs. United as a "big" club just looks so "out of it" on many levels. *Sigh*

CA1

'I think the objective of the club is happiness related to football results'

Mourinho on Juventus

Tyrion

In five years Man It's have spent close to £1bn.
I don't like the Glazers but there are worse owners and their clubs still do well.
I agree with that but I don't understand why many on this forum get so defensive when the Glazer's are criticised. I don't mean you here but the thread's name change seems weird. Maybe these posts are made more than I'm aware of.

dave1956

Would it have done the players any harm to walk to the ground with the fans. They may have heard a few home truths which may have dented their fragile egos but perhaps it would have done them some good. In another era the players did just that, then that was the time of no agents and the players did not live in a protective bubble.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

This

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I agree with that but I don't understand why many on this forum get so defensive when the Glazer's are criticised. I don't mean you here but the thread's name change seems weird. Maybe these posts are made more than I'm aware of.
They're unfairly critized after 10 years of doing nothing wrong. The debt is in the past, was furious abck then but it turns out they've managed them well and didn't bleed us as much as people think.

They seldom take a huge divident over the years. Could have pocketed the 1bn for themselves but they didnt. They pour it back to the club.

fellaini's barber

These kind of threads pop up whenever we have a bad game. It's either a thread blaming the players, claiming Jose wasn't backed, saying how none of our players are good enough to get into so so team, inventing absolute nonsense like 'player power', and now since all those excuses don't work anymore, someone got the bright idea to attack the Glazers after the Juve loss. It seems people will say anything and blame everyone else for the ineptness of our manager.

Fluctuation0161

They're unfairly critized after 10 years of doing nothing wrong. The debt is in the past, was furious abck then but it turns out they've managed them well and didn't bleed us as much as people think.

They seldom take a huge divident over the years. Could have pocketed the 1bn for themselves but they didnt. They pour it back to the club.
This can't be serious. Reads like a fluff piece from a Glazer PR company. :lol:

Think people can be overly harsh. We've had 5 years since SAF left and spent an incredible amount of money, and aside from Moyes whom I believe they 100% trusted Sir Alex on, the appointments have in many ways made sense. Maybe they should have considered putting a better structure in place before appointing Mourinho but at the same time, they believed they finally had their man and knew that he's not fond of working with a DoF.

That said, if/when Mourinho does leave, then the owners and Woodwood have absolutely no excuse but to get it right. It seems like absolutely everyone is in agreement regarding this, similar to how City did pre-Pep, we should have the structure in place for our top managerial target way in advance. You can say a lot of things about City, but their preparation for the arrival of Guardiola was second to none. However, even with all the preparation, the first season didn't go as planned so patience will be required, but City are reaping the rewards now.

If the owners and Woodward feck it up after Mourinho, I'll be their biggest critic because that would amount to gross negligence.

Mainoldo

Would it have done the players any harm to walk to the ground with the fans. They may have heard a few home truths which may have dented their fragile egos but perhaps it would have done them some good. In another era the players did just that, then that was the time of no agents and the players did not live in a protective bubble.
What? That they’ve all regressed. The fans might have got some home truths and finally shut the hell up.

Do enlighten me with numbers.

Start with how much debt to current assets ratio. Compare them to chelsea and city if you want.
The books look healthy these days: https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/documents/2018-mu-plc-form-20-f.pdf

• £1,534,274,000 in total assets.
° £290,257,000 of the above in cash and cash equivalents.
Yearly profits after debt repayments etc of around £50m. Borrowing at approx. £487m.

All of this after spending £774,000,000 :eek: in the past 5 years and also ok-ing the highest wage bill in the league. Not quite sure what more @CA1 expects from owners?
As I said earlier, the only thing I personally believe that we can now expect is that after 3 failed attempts the Sir Alex Ferguson way, the owners learn their lesson and bring in a better structure for entire the football club, if they don't, well then everyone should be on their backs for being shit at running a football club.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't like the Glazers and don't want to defend them.
But the notion that we are unsuccessful because we haven't spent enough money doesn't make sense.

Tyrion

I don't like the Glazers and don't want to defend them.
But the notion that we are unsuccessful because we haven't spent enough money doesn't make sense.
I definitely agree with that. Afaik, only City have outspent us (in the PL at least) over the last 5 years.

Tyrion

Don't/didn't they take a lot of money out of the club? My understanding was that the debt only existed because of them meaning that the cost of paying it off was effectively for their benefit.

Tyrion

The books look healthy these days: https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/documents/2018-mu-plc-form-20-f.pdf

• £1,534,274,000 in total assets.
° £290,257,000 of the above in cash and cash equivalents.
Yearly profits after debt repayments etc of around £50m. Borrowing at approx. £487m.

All of this after spending £774,000,000 :eek: in the past 5 years and also ok-ing the highest wage bill in the league. Not quite sure what more @CA1 expects from owners?
As I said earlier, the only thing I personally believe that we can now expect is that after 3 failed attempts the Sir Alex Ferguson way, the owners learn their lesson and bring in a better structure for entire the football club, if they don't, well then everyone should be on their backs for being shit at running a football club.
Afaik, they're looking to appoint a DoF. It's about time. Ideally, he'd be appointed before the end of the season and get to choose Mourinhos successor.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Don't/didn't they take a lot of money out of the club? My understanding was that the debt only existed because of them meaning that the cost of paying it off was effectively for their benefit.
Nothing extraordinary iirc. As an owner of a once 1 bn worth of asset which now stands at 4bn they off course took some form of dividents, profit or whatever they call it. But nothing extraordinary big.

A 700m debt now stands at 400m means they used 300m over the course of 10 years. Hardly anything extraordinary. 30m dividents per year.

They made united as a collateral for a loan. But people making it as if they sold parts of united for 700m.

Patrick08

as Woody seems to just do whatever his manager tells him.
Not sure about that either. I doubt the managers we had told him to sign players like Di maria, falcao, schneiderlin, darmian, I would also include mkh in that list, I doubt he was a Jose signing.

Kapardin

Not sure about that either. I doubt the managers we had told him to sign players like Di maria, falcao, schneiderlin, darmian, I would also include mkh in that list, I doubt he was a Jose signing.
Not this again.

LvG openly said he wanted a player like AdM. Even after selling AdM, getting sacked and while taking pot-shots at Ed, he never said he didn't ask for AdM.

Schneiderlin and Darmian were purely LvG signings. Schneiderlin impressed LvG during that 1-0 defeat to Saints at home, and LvG scouted Darmian along with Rojo at the WC.

Jose clearly stated he had scouted Mkhi himself. In fact, prior to us appointing him, he was attending Dortmund games.

Only Falcao might have been a Woodward suggestion, as he was available. Which is hardly a liability, as it was a loan deal and there seemed to be no pressure on the manager to play him. And considering Falcao's rep at that time, any manager would be willing to take a gamble to see if Falcao regained form.

Woodward has several faults, but this wasn't on him. There is no proof to suggest that the managers were lying when they said they scouted/asked for the players.

Bloedrood

Van Gaal was asked yesterday on Dutch tv about the problems at the club. He said the main thing he was surprised and disappointed with during his time at the club was that football wasn't the priority, commerce/money was. He said the club was run very different from Bayern, where football was the clear number 1 priority.

gajender

Van Gaal was asked yesterday on Dutch tv about the problems at the club. He said the main thing he was surprised and disappointed with during his time at the club was that football wasn't the priority, commerce/money was. He said the club was run very different from Bayern, where football was the clear number 1 priority.
Yes we can certainly do better in terms of footballing structure at the Club but I would take anything Van Gaal says with pinch of salt he lacks self awareness and it's in his self interest to support Mourinho and blame board completely for our failings that way he himself is absolved from any blame for his tenure with as well.