g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Muffled cries of “I told you so” from behind a green and gold scarf / blame it on the glazers part V

fellaini's barber

Statistically Mourinho is actually one of the best.

Barring Busby and Ferguson, it'd be between Big Ron and Jose for the best after that in post war times.. A lot of people liked Tommy Doc though.
Still a failure

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Fair enough.

There were some who backed them. Nobody admits it now obviously.
I don't recall anyone on this site who backed them (although I'm sure there were ).
The site said RedCafe with a green and gold scarf around the name ffs. But let's be brutally honest, we thought they were going to rape the club and that hadn't been the case.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Not a huge amount.

All I heard recently was they'd not reached the play-offs for 10 years and that they spend very little money.

Which sounds shit to be honest

FSG run the Boston Red Sox ffs. One of the most iconic sporting teams anywhere in the world.
Are you serious?

Are we really comparing a sport with a hard salary cap (one of the most restrictive in American sports mind you) to a sport without a salary cap? Not only that, you are comparing one of the smallest market/ relatively new teams to one of the most iconic who happen to reside in a large market.

At this point, you are just throwing shit on the wall and hoping it will stick. When that fails you start questioning who is a real fan based on if they attend matches and how long they supported United. Self-righteous sports fans are the worst.

And let's not forget Liverpool fans hated FSG before they started winning.

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

It's totally understandable why some backed them at the time, something that people like you forget to mention is that the former PLC was made of worse people with far less interest for sport, far less commercial acumen and far more willingness to tighten the purse. My worry only concerned the way they would structure the debt and if they had a solid plan to finance it, which they did.

The funny thing is that these people who have been in open war with SAF, sold their shares at the first opportunity because they were in it for easy money but you still have fans that acts as if they cared about the club.
Yeap.

Who were our good owners? Martin Edwards who lied to Fergie about a pay raise which prompted him to borrow George Graham's contract to make a point, or the board behind Kenyon who made him say 'SAF needs to sell before he can buy', cocked up the Ronaldinho deal penny pinching, almost cocked up the Rooney deal against Newcastle, and actually left the Glazers with half the transfer fees of Rooney unpaid?

It's utter revisionism to say that the management we used to have were in any way shape or form superior to the Glazers. If Fergie could survive and thrived in that environment, maybe our current coaches should fecking stop moaning and get on with their jobs.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Reads like a thinly-veiled Mourinho apologist thread (attempt) by trying to lay the blame for our current situation solely with the owners.
That is exactly what this thread is. Look at OPs post history. Defends Mourinho in literally every posts he makes about the subject. He slates the the board, Woodward, the players, and even the fans, but never Mourinho. Very bizarre

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeap.

Who were our good owners? Martin Edwards who lied to Fergie about a pay raise which prompted him to borrow George Graham's contract to make a point, or the board behind Kenyon who made him say 'SAF needs to sell before he can buy', cocked up the Ronaldinho deal penny pinching, almost cocked up the Rooney deal against Newcastle, and actually left the Glazers with half the transfer fees of Rooney unpaid?

It's utter revisionism to say that the management we used to have were in any way shape or form superior to the Glazers. If Fergie could survive and thrived in that environment, maybe our current coaches should fecking stop moaning and get on with their jobs.
They hit the jackpot with SAF and Eric Harrison developing an incredible group of academy players, if it wasn't for that they would have never compensated it with purchases and they would have never allow SAF to pay the type of wage necessary to attract the best players. United were already the richest club in the world but weren't close to pay the highest wages.

The Glazers have their faults particularly when it comes to the organization of the footballing side, they should have recognize SAF's exceptionalism, the same way people are currently aware of the fact that Popovich and Belichik aren't normal, I remember articles stating that NBA teams shouldn't try to emulate the Spurs because they don't have Popovich. It's the same logic with SAF, personally I suspect that they didn't change things drastically because they were worried that it would be badly perceived from the outside.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

And let's not forget Liverpool fans hated FSG before they started winning.
They haven't even won anything yet, and are still happy. One wonders if that's because they actually have a manager who delivers viewer friendly football...

Kapardin

That is exactly what this thread is. Look at OPs post history. Defends Mourinho in literally every posts he makes about the subject. He slates the the board, Woodward, the players, and even the fans, but never Mourinho. Very bizarre
And he says nobody would beat Mourinho's holy grail of a 2nd spot. Apparently the likes of Jardim, Favre and Sarri are "Flavor of the Month" managers. I mean, come on.:rolleyes:

InfiniteBoredom

The Glazers have their faults particularly when it comes to the organization of the footballing side, they should have recognize SAF's exceptionalism, the same way people are currently aware of the fact that Popovich and Belichik aren't normal, I remember articles stating that NBA teams should try to emulate the Spurs because they don't have Popovich. It's the same logic with SAF, personally I suspect that they didn't change things drastically because they were worried that it would be badly perceived from the outside.
Remember ‘stand by your manager’?

Our fanbase indulged itself in a sense of exceptionalism in the immediate aftermath of Fergie’s retirement. How many posts were made deriding other clubs with their infighting between head coach and DoF, while Utd were held up as the shining beacon of how a football club should be run, with the head coach actually be a manager who has a big say over transfer and day to day running of the club?

It’s funny how their once upon a time biggest virtue is now the biggest stick to beat them with.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very bizarre behavior indeed. He accuses others of having their heads in the sand, whilst he's unable or unwilling to place much, if any, accountability with Mourinho.

It''s not an either/or situation. Both could be accounted some of the blame.

CA1

Very bizarre behavior indeed. He accuses others of having their heads in the sand, whilst he's unable or unwilling to place much, if any, accountability with Mourinho.

It''s not an either/or situation. Both could be accounted some of the blame.
I'm not absolving people of blame.

I firmly believe that the owners and the board are at major, major fault. Hence why I "slate the board, Woodward" etc.

If you all think its all down to the a new manager and then all will be OK, then good luck.

Charlie Foley

We signed 12+ players for LvG and some 9 players for Jose. Enough to have a new squad. That it isn't enough is down to the poor scouting by the managers.
Grant
Dalot
Lindelof
Bailly
Matic
Fred
Pogba
Zlatan
Lukaku
Sanchez

I count 10!

Judas

Open to offers

I firmly believe that the owners and the board are at major, major fault. Hence why I "slate the board, Woodward" etc.

If you all think its all down to the a new manager and then all will be OK, then good luck.
People know there's more issues than just the manager at the club, that's not the point.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Not many people has said that though, have they?

Actually, structural changes from the top down, investing in infrastructure/academy, DoF, blaming Woodward/the Glazers for not having a football vision and being too focused on the commercial side etc. have all been brandied on here for years and years, as criticism.

CA1

Not many people has said that though, have they?

Actually, structural changes from the top down, investing in infrastructure/academy, DoF, blaming Woodward/the Glazers for not having a football vision and being too focused on the commercial side etc. have all been brandied on here for years and years, as criticism.
Most people have said that.

Because where are these structrual changes, investment, DOF, football vision etc? It won't happen overnight. They're duping you, it won't arrive and if it does it will be half hearted. They're not football people.

They'll whack a DOF and a new coach in without much vision.

Where will fans on here draw the line then when they feel they have to make themselves heard to the owners/board?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

You just don't slate the board you slate EVERYONE but Mourinho.

Can you point us to a post where you criticized Mourinho the same way you criticized the board, Woodward, Pogba, Martial, the fans, and potential managerial replacements? I skimmed through your posts and I didn't see a single one laying any blame on Mourinho (apologies if I missed it)

Here is a post where you wished an opposition player would "rip United to shreds" just to prove Mourinho right
https://www.redcafe.net/matches/wes...er-united.239/discussion?page=4#post-23114805

What fan of any club says that? Like I said very bizarre.

Before the Valencia game you said you expected United to beat Valencia
https://www.redcafe.net/matches/manchester-united-vs-valencia.240/discussion?page=4#post-23134940
After they draw you immediately slate the players...
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-valencia.441962/page-5#post-23138788

I'm not picking on you and want to truly understand what point you're trying to make, but reading this thread and your post history you come across as an apologist for Mourinho.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Most people have said that.

Because where are these structrual changes, investment, DOF, football vision etc? It won't happen overnight. They're duping you, it won't arrive and if it does it will be half hearted. They're not football people.

They'll whack a DOF and a new coach in without much vision.

Where will fans on here draw the line then when they feel they have to make themselves heard to the owners/board?
You need to show me a post from anyone on these boards who clearly state that "Mourinho is our only problem", because I've definitely not seen it.

Also don't disagree with most of what you're saying about the structural changes. But none of these exempt Mourinho from his poor performance as manager.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Can you point us to a post where you criticized Mourinho the same way you criticized the board, Woodward, Pogba, Martial, the fans, and potential managerial replacements? I skimmed through your posts and I didn't see a single one laying any blame on Mourinho (apologies if I missed it)

Here is a post where you wished an opposition player would "rip United to shreds" just to prove Mourinho right
https://www.redcafe.net/matches/wes...er-united.239/discussion?page=4#post-23114805

https://www.redcafe.net/matches/manchester-united-vs-valencia.240/discussion?page=4#post-23134940
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-valencia.441962/page-5#post-23138788

I'm not picking on you and want to truly understand what point you're trying to make, but reading this thread and your post history you come across as an apologist for Mourinho.
That Arnautovic post :lol::houllier:

CA1

I don't slate Mourinho as much as others because he has a track record of being a good football manager and has done ok here.

I slate the owners because they are shit. The board because they are shit. Woodward because he is shit. A lot of the players because they are shit.

The players I rate are De Gea, Matic (going through bad form), I rate Pogba as a talent a lot (questionable application), I always back Lingard and Rashford, think Mata is a goos option and don't hammer Lukaku like som on here do, I think he's a good goalscorer going through a bad patch.

I love Ibra and feel his infleunce in the dressing room was understated and that we miss him as Mourinho's voice on the pitch. We played some good football when he was linking the attacks and bringing people into the game

CA1

As for Arnautovic, he's a very good player and when he was linked he was laughed at.

Funnily enough he did tear us apart and they won 3-1.

Kapardin

I don't slate Mourinho as much as others because he has a track record of being a good football manager and has done ok here.

I slate the owners because they are shit. The board because they are shit. Woodward because he is shit. A lot of the players because they are shit.

The players I rate are De Gea, Matic (going through bad form), I rate Pogba as a talent a lot (questionable application), I always back Lingard and Rashford, think Mata is a goos option and don't hammer Lukaku like som on here do, I think he's a good goalscorer going through a bad patch.

I love Ibra and feel his infleunce in the dressing room was understated and that we miss him as Mourinho's voice on the pitch. We played some good football when he was linking the attacks and bringing people into the game
He really hasn't. Yesterday when I was watching Napoli play, I realized how much I missed watching good football. Most of the time our results depress me so much that I am put off by football for the week and as a result, don't watch matches like the one yesterday where teams actually play fluid football - almost forgot what it was like.

We have the players to play almost at the level Napoli are, for instance -- not asking much, it's Napoli, not Barca. That we aren't is on Mourinho. Not on Woodward because he isn't responsible for us not being able to string an attacking move together. Not on the players as they aren't coached to do so; you had Pogba coming out and literally saying as much.

JPRouve

Scout
He’s been superb since Moyesy put him up front and he’d bring alot more to this side currently.
He is bang average and people need to stop with the overhyping of middle players having a decent purple patch. It's like when people were gushing about Morten Gamst Pedersen.

CA1

He is bang average and people need to stop with the overhyping of middle players having a decent purple patch. It's like when people were gushing about Morten Gamst Pedersen.
Is Martial overhyped too then?

Because he never does it consistently for me. Not many of our players do.

Prediction for Sunday, Richarlison will play central and rip Lindelof to ribbons.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sure, it could get worse. But seriously, I don't see any other half decent manager take us to 10th place at any point in the season with the level of investment Jose has had. It's really an achievement
No other Man United manager EVER won 2 trophies in their first season.

None since LVG guided the team to 2nd since SAF.

I am not happy and wouldn’t be bothered if he was sacked but lets not leave out what he has done well.

JPRouve

Scout

Prediction for Sunday, Richarlison will play central and rip Lindelof to ribbons.
What is the link with Martial? Martial has been better than Arnautovic in every seasons they both played in PL and he is 6 years younger.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

You don't slate him at all. I haven't seen a single post of you slating him. We are talking about the manager, the guy who picks the matchday squad, the guy who approves transfers, the guy who sets the tactics. Not the assistant coach or the medical staff, but that manager. Not one critique of his approach, only an appeal to his past glories. You don't think that is a little bit weird from the outside looking in?

On the flip side, have you given credit to Pogba or Martial for the good matches they've played this season? If you have, I didn't see it. I think United fans would be more sympathetic to your gripes if you actually conceded that Mourinho is at fault for something, but it seems like you have a dogmatic view of who is at fault and that person seems to be everyone except for Mourinho.

It's clear by your posts you have players and staff that you fancy and other you don't, and that's normal. But when you take this self-righteous stance and refuse to acknowledge your favorites may also share a huge part of the blame it's difficult to take your stance seriously.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Wouldn't say not spending has been a problem, but Glazers has woefully been found lacking in actually creating a football structure in the club. It's been five years since Fergie retired, and even then we have nothing right now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe he’ll jog on too when miserable Mou leaves

ravi2

Before the Glazers go, Ed and Jose have to go first.
The club will not progress in a football perspective as long as those 2 are around.

ravi2

Wouldn't say not spending has been a problem, but Glazers has woefully been found lacking in actually creating a football structure in the club. It's been five years since Fergie retired, and even then we have nothing right now.
I will never defend the Glazers but its Ed's job to create a footballing structure ... or it is his job to hire those who can create such a structure.
At this stage, he is the root of all the footballing problems at United.

As long as he is making football decisions, we will never progress. He is an investment banker who is overruling the manger on transfer targets. It doesnt make sense.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I could rip Lindelof to ribbons and I’m not a professional footballer

Guess who bought him and plays him

JPRouve

Scout
I will never defend the Glazers but its Ed's job to create a footballing structure ... or it is his job to hire those who can create such a structure.
At this stage, he is the root of all the footballing problems at United.

As long as he is making football decisions, we will never progress. He is an investment banker who is overruling the manger on transfer targets. It doesnt make sense.
But it's the owners and board members job to make sure that Woodward does his job adequately. In the end they are responsible for everyone.