Muffled cries of “I told you so” from behind a green and gold scarf / blame it on the glazers part V

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Meh. One poor start and We're all crying about shit board shit ceo shit structure etc.

Where were you when we signed di maria, bfs, and ms in one window. There's still a thread on how good ed was and how he's the next david gill.

You lot just find things to blame when things go sour.

spiriticon

FSG are shite, please. They fumbled around cluelessly for years before getting Klopp.

If anything, the situation at Liverpool proves how just changing the coach and nobody else can make an instant difference.

CA1

FSG are shite, please. They fumbled around cluelessly for years before getting Klopp.

If anything, the situation at Liverpool proves how just changing the coach and nobody else can make an instant difference.
Rodgers nearly won them the league.

Their recruitment has got better and better because they've got proper people making the decisions.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Meh. One poor start and We're all crying about shit board shit ceo shit structure etc.

Where were you when we signed di maria, bfs, and ms in one window. There's still a thread on how good ed was and how he's the next david gill.

I thought that the structure of the club was wrong then and still think that it's the case now. I also thought that Woodward was visibly competent in his previous role and should focus on that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Their recruitment has got better and better because they've got proper people making the decisions.
Because Dalglish bought them Suarez who was ready to explode on the football scene.

The recruitment panel (that Rodgers complained about several times) bought some huge whoppers too.

They have got better but they had to have time to get the structure right and then constantly tweaked it

CA1

Probably that he could always dump him in a year and buy a new one if he wanted. That’s not gonna happen anymore Mou
Not sure he would have bought a young-ish CB from a another league if he thought that. He obviously saw something he liked but I don't see what because I think Lindelof is poor.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I will never defend the Glazers but its Ed's job to create a footballing structure ... or it is his job to hire those who can create such a structure.
At this stage, he is the root of all the footballing problems at United.

As long as he is making football decisions, we will never progress. He is an investment banker who is overruling the manger on transfer targets. It doesnt make sense.
He's not making footballing decision other than choosing the manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
FWIW I said at the time that United made a mistake by letting SAF and Gill leave at the same time. Ed had no support in his new job. He was a money man not a football man. That’s what I blame the glazers for. Poor succession planning

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Do you actually know these proper people? They are all businessmen that had nothing to do with football, their board is basically the same as ours at the exception of Dalglish who like SAF isn't an executive member.

fellaini's barber

I'd hate it. The misery some people are going to face next 10 or so years is going to very, very cruel.
Or we could get another manager and go on a Zidanesque triple CL run. You'd be gutted:lol:. Since you're so good at seeing the future tell us what happens if the same Glazers your slating kept Jose and gave him $500m more to spend. 10 years of glory and annual quadruples instead right? Imagine predicting a terrible future for the club you claim to support except they keep your favorite manager then question the loyalty of other fans.

CA1

Or we could get another manager and go on a Zidanesque triple CL run. You'd be gutted:lol:. Since you're so good at seeing the future tell us what happens if the same Glazers your slating kept Jose and gave him $500m more to spend. 10 years of glory and annual quadruples instead right? Imagine predicting a terrible future for the club you claim to support except they keep your favorite manager then question the loyalty of other fans.
I've not said this at all.

I've said no manager would succeed under the Glazers/Woodward with this lack of direction and their only interest in making money.

Mourinho isn't going to win one league under this regime and neither will any other manager.

Hence why I'm so opposed to the Glazers. I never even mentioned Mourinho in the OP.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why the recent trend of mods changing the title of any threads that they don’t agree with? Bit disrespectful imo.

zizi

I'd be delighted if we got a manager who came in and was successful.

Admittedly, I would always be sceptical as to what was around the corner and would be convinced that it could only ever be a short term success and that in the long term we'd be extremely unlikely to be what we used to be, what we can be for a club of our standing, our potential etc.

Could we get a manager who gets a team together and does well? 100%. We had one who did well for the majority of last season but we'll never be permanently competing with Real Madrid, Barcelona etc whilst these owners are here.
So what would it take to convince you that its not just 'short term' success, what would a new manager have to achieve?

And also, when have we ever 'permanently' competed with Real/Barca before the Glazers? They have always been a bigger, better, more prestigious then we have, whether we want to admit it or not.

Last question, say the Glazers go, which owner out there right night do you want taking over? who ticks all the boxes for you? Genuinely curious.

fellaini's barber

I've not said this at all.

I've said no manager would succeed under the Glazers/Woodward with this lack of direction and their only interest in making money.

Mourinho isn't going to win one league under this regime and neither will any other manager.

Hence why I'm so opposed to the Glazers. I never even mentioned Mourinho in the OP.
Well that's just your rubbish opinion not some sort of fact isn't it? Wanna hear mine? Mourinho won't win a major trophy here cos he's past it, and if we had hired someone who knew what the feck they were doing and gave them $400m after we'd be up there challenging for the EPL not sitting in 10th place, playing worse football than Derby. Opunions eh

RedorDead21

Well that's just your rubbish opinion not some sort of fact isn't it? Wanna hear mine? Mourinho won't win a major trophy here cos he's past it, and if we had hired someone who knew what the feck they were doing and gave them $400m after we'd be up there challenging for the EPL not sitting in 10th place, playing worse football than Derby. Opunions eh
We should have backed him in the summer and then we'd be certain as we got 2nd and it looked more likely we'd be able to push on. I don't think he's past it over the past 6 months I think we openly weakened his position in front of a squad looking for a reason to drop a level because of dislike for his demanding methods and less than modern approach. Still I think Mou will win major trophies again prob not here given his untenable position now. Whomever we bring in we must ensure he plays the way we want with the values we hold dear. More friendly with the playing staff, more we than me, none of this trumps a fully backed Mou for me but that boat has now sailed and we need to move on.

CA1

More proof that American people and Association Football simly do not mix well.

fellaini's barber

We should have backed him in the summer and then we'd be certain as we got 2nd and it looked more likely we'd be able to push on. I don't think he's past it over the past 6 months I think we openly weakened his position in front of a squad looking for a reason to drop a level because of dislike for his demanding methods and less than modern approach. Still I think Mou will win major trophies again prob not here given his untenable position now. Whomever we bring in we must ensure he plays the way we want with the values we hold dear. More friendly with the playing staff, more we than me, none of this trumps a fully backed Mou for me but that boat has now sailed and we need to move on.
Seeing what he's done with done with all the 'backing' in his first two seasons I'd say not backing him this summer is the best decision the club has made since he came, renewing his contract being the worst. Imagine buying Maguire, Willian and Toby all for $70m apiece only for him not to know what to do with them or have them going to total shit like Sanchez and Matic and almost all the players he bought.

RedorDead21

Seeing what he's done with done with all the 'backing' in his first two seasons I'd say not backing him this summer is the best decision the club has made since he came, renewing his contract being the worst. Imagine buying Maguire, Willian and Toby all for $70m apiece only for him not to know what to do with them or have them going to total shit like Sanchez and Matic and almost all the players he bought.
Well that's your opinion but I think we made strides in the first 2 seasons and although the playing style still irked we did win some trophies and were closer to the top. We need new CBs. Toby from spurs would have done for me. He would have got a good price for Jones or whomever as he usually does when letting them go. I get your point but after extending his contract, back tracking on transfers was a poor move. Either not extend and move for another man to lead or back him. It hurts the club doing this.....

Eric's Seagull

Contrary to many opinions I agree with a lot of things the OP said. I think it is a quite interesting thread.

I think the owners are at fault. I believe that they didn't prepare properly for when Sir Alex arrived. I think a Director of Football should have been appointed before Moyes, he should have been there in Sir Alex last season but during that season just as more of an observer and planner and asking as many questions of Sir Alex and absorbing as much information as possible for when Moyes took over, by doing this I believe that a lot of problems which are occurring presently wouldn't be happening.

I think the owners shouldn't have given Ed so much power on the footballing side as I think he is trying to use the club to turn himself into a minor celebrity and if the Director of Football had been brought in, my opinion is that we wouldn't have been in such a mess as he would have made sure there was a continuity in style when a new manager came in and I believe we wouldn't have wasted all those millions.

The board are guilty of lettting Ed handle the transfers and cocking up by bringing in managers with different styles who decide 'x' amount of players don't fit my philosophy so they have to go and we have to spend 'this' many million to replace them.

Although I would say the board have invested the money, it hasn't been invested properly in my opinion, which goes back to need for a'good' Director of Football, not a 'yes' man for Ed as I don't want him near any transfers. I personally think the board should have invested more but I can see that they see it as a business and seem to be happy for top 4 as long they can keep lining their pockets.

Although I'm no big fan of Jose I think that he should have backed all the way in the summer or they should sacked him, that way he wouldn't have an excuse to moan about not having his players and resorting to his childish antics. Since he didn't get his players he should have been a man and took it on the chin and got on with it and tried to make better use of the players at his disposal instead of throwing them under the bus. He should be doing better with the players he has got and in my opinion no way should we be where we are now in the league.

I think we need a new manager as I am sick of all the negativity surrounding Jose but just by getting a new manager and giving him £300m or whatever is not going to sort out our problems. We need a Director of football in place before the new manager and hopefully the board will realise and learn from the mistakes of the last few years.

For the record I am neither a lover of Jose, Ed or the Glazers and they all need to take some responsibility for the mess we are in.

RedorDead21

Contrary to many opinions I agree with a lot of things the OP said. I think it is a quite interesting thread.

I think the owners are at fault. I believe that they didn't prepare properly for when Sir Alex arrived. I think a Director of Football should have been appointed before Moyes, he should have been there in Sir Alex last season but during that season just as more of an observer and planner and asking as many questions of Sir Alex and absorbing as much information as possible for when Moyes took over, by doing this I believe that a lot of problems which are occurring presently wouldn't be happening.

I think the owners shouldn't have given Ed so much power on the footballing side as I think he is trying to use the club to turn himself into a minor celebrity and if the Director of Football had been brought in, my opinion is that we wouldn't have been in such a mess as he would have made sure there was a continuity in style when a new manager came in and I believe we wouldn't have wasted all those millions.

The board are guilty of lettting Ed handle the transfers and cocking up by bringing in managers with different styles who decide 'x' amount of players don't fit my philosophy so they have to go and we have to spend 'this' many million to replace them.

Although I would say the board have invested the money, it hasn't been invested properly in my opinion, which goes back to need for a'good' Director of Football, not a 'yes' man for Ed as I don't want him near any transfers. I personally think the board should have invested more but I can see that they see it as a business and seem to be happy for top 4 as long they can keep lining their pockets.

Although I'm no big fan of Jose I think that he should have backed all the way in the summer or they should sacked him, that way he wouldn't have an excuse to moan about not having his players and resorting to his childish antics. Since he didn't get his players he should have been a man and took it on the chin and got on with it and tried to make better use of the players at his disposal instead of throwing them under the bus. He should be doing better with the players he has got and in my opinion no way should we be where we are now in the league.

I think we need a new manager as I am sick of all the negativity surrounding Jose but just by getting a new manager and giving him £300m or whatever is not going to sort out our problems. We need a Director of football in place before the new manager and hopefully the board will realise and learn from the mistakes of the last few years.

For the record I am neither a lover of Jose, Ed or the Glazers and they all need to take some responsibility for the mess we are in.
A new manager capable of raising confidence levels and being a leader and I don't think we are far behind once more. Everything looks bad with the wrong man in charge. A couple of good buys and more confidence and this team can challenge for me. Providing we have a club all pulling in the same direction for what seems like an eternity with some real direction!!

Fluctuation0161

One!!?????

Eric's Seagull

A new manager capable of raising confidence levels and being a leader and I don't think we are far behind once more. Everything looks bad with the wrong man in charge. A couple of good buys and more confidence and this team can challenge for me. Providing we have a club all pulling in the same direction for what seems like an eternity with some real direction!!
I agree on a new manager being a leader I think that if we are ever having a blip a manager should protect his players by absorbing the pressure and sorting problems in house not in the media, as I believe throwing players under the bus lets rivals know that things at our club are not going as smoothly as they should. I think that by knowing that they are not going to get slaughtered in the media for making a mistake will raise the players confidence.

I also we are a couple of good players away from challenging, hopefully a good Director of Football who builds a good rapport with the next manager will solve this. I think the last part is particularly important and if we all start pulling in the same direction I think this will have a massive positive impact on throughout the club.

RedorDead21

I agree on a new manager being a leader I think that if we are ever having a blip a manager should protect his players by absorbing the pressure and sorting problems in house not in the media, as I believe throwing players under the bus lets rivals know that things at our club are not going as smoothly as they should. I think that by knowing that they are not going to get slaughtered in the media for making a mistake will raise the players confidence.

I also we are a couple of good players away from challenging, hopefully a good Director of Football who builds a good rapport with the next manager will solve this. I think the last part is particularly important and if we all start pulling in the same direction I think this will have a massive positive impact on throughout the club.
Agreed. We decide who we are as a club. We bring in a DoF who shares those values. We allow him to build the recruitment which runs independently of manager whims. We appoint a manager who again shares the values laid out to him in the appointment process. We always back said manager in as much as we can in terms of bringing in players for positions he raises concerns with. We stick to this for 4-5 years regardless of ups and downs and manager appointments. It's not quite as rigid as I make it mind. I think a manager needs his input but he cannot be the only voice. Ed needs to have no voice apart from the amounts available! I think we screwed Mou. Whether that was right or wrong is debatable. Giving him a contract pre screwing is not really up for debate. We show a lack of strategy and quite rightly it shows on the field. That's fair and a good thing.

Eric's Seagull

Agreed. We decide who we are as a club. We bring in a DoF who shares those values. We allow him to build the recruitment which runs independently of manager whims. We appoint a manager who again shares the values laid out to him in the appointment process. We always back said manager in as much as we can in terms of bringing in players for positions he raises concerns with. We stick to this for 4-5 years regardless of ups and downs and manager appointments. It's not quite as rigid as I make it mind. I think a manager needs his input but he cannot be the only voice. Ed needs to have no voice apart from the amounts available! I think we screwed Mou. Whether that was right or wrong is debatable. Giving him a contract pre screwing is not really up for debate. We show a lack of strategy and quite rightly it shows on the field. That's fair and a good thing.
A very valid point you mentioned is to lay out the values to the manager in the appointment process because then he knows what to expect and doesn't have excuse to go moaning like Jose and you are right on giving him as much support in the transfer market, as his thinking will be on the same page as the Director of Football.

I also think we should stick with this for a certain amount of years because the 'circus' of the last few years and us not having a proper direction has been terrible. I share your opinion on Ed and if 'all' this does happen like this and Ed concentrates on what he is good at, then I will be a lot happier.

MDFC Manager

Exactly my point as well. And this is exactly what every other club does when things go wrong, instead of booting out the owners :wenger:

Probably that he could always dump him in a year and buy a new one if he wanted. That’s not gonna happen anymore Mou
Thank feck

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Terrible buy from Mourinho. No idea what he was thinking.
He probably thought lets buy him and if it shit hits fan then Id ask for some 30 year old for 60m

fellaini's barber

Well that's your opinion but I think we made strides in the first 2 seasons and although the playing style still irked we did win some trophies and were closer to the top. We need new CBs. Toby from spurs would have done for me. He would have got a good price for Jones or whomever as he usually does when letting them go. I get your point but after extending his contract, back tracking on transfers was a poor move. Either not extend and move for another man to lead or back him. It hurts the club doing this.....
It was the perfect move. People have said it time and time again that this CB excuse is just that, an excuse he's gotten all of you to buy into. We almost got beat by Newcastle man, NEWCASTLE!! They have 2 points all season but came to OT and put two past us. We got outplayed by the likes of Wolves and Derby, these are teams I'd expect even Moyes to win . How you people have convinced yourselves that Jose, after buying like 10 players and spending $400m is the victim here is remarkable. So when he buys Toby we'll start having an attacking plan? We'll stop booting the ball to Lukaku and Fellaini? Jose spent more than Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs since he came but plays worse football than them all and its because of fecking Toby?! He's only been outspent by Pep but somehow all these other guys being better than us makes sense to you?! So if we get beat by Everton or Cardiff you'll come out here to type that it's because we didn't sign a CB? You realise how stupid all this sounds to any rational thinking person? That before Jose can beat mid to bottom table teams he needs to buy more CB's after buying 10 players including 2 CB's, please be honest with yourself does this actually make sense to you?

rollingstoned1

football fandom is all about force fitting narratives and rationalizations after the fact, wouldn't be the same otherwise. See every signing made in the last 5 years so too the fanfare and optimism that greeted both Mou and LVGs appointments. You'd be forgiven for thinking they never had anyone's favor here going by the current mood.

Thiim

When every other avenue of blame and critizism has been hurled out, and we are still shit, you can always blame the Glazers. The only thing you can blame them for right now is the fact that the clown Woodward is still in charge of footballing activities, which is baffling.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Rory 7

It’s a little bit disingenuous, to say the least, to dismiss fans criticism of the Glazers. In fact it’s rather blinkered. The kinds of transfer fees the owners have spent over the last five years will never absolve them from their mismanagement of the post-Fergie transition. The owners of this club had years to plan for SAFs retirement. The simple fact is they didn’t. The club has no vision, no plan and no genuine leadership on the sporting front since 2013. That’s why they need to go in my opinion. These guys were always vulture capitalists, their interests are on the revenue generation side and very little else. That is wrong for an institution like United. As I say, disingenuous to dismiss fans who are unhappy with these owners. And blinkered to support them based on transfer spend.

Eric's Seagull

Terrible buy from Mourinho. No idea what he was thinking.
Shame about him as I read a story about him when he was younger about how he got so pi$$ed off about losing a game that he run off to a forest and someone found him crying. At that point I really liked the attitude of the guy by showing how much he cared about winning or losing a game.

Eric's Seagull

It’s a little bit disingenuous, to say the least, to dismiss fans criticism of the Glazers. In fact it’s rather blinkered. The kinds of transfer fees the owners have spent over the last five years will never absolve them from their mismanagement of the post-Fergie transition. The owners of this club had years to plan for SAFs retirement. The simple fact is they didn’t. The club has no vision, no plan and no genuine leadership on the sporting front since 2013. That’s why they need to go in my opinion. These guys were always vulture capitalists, their interests are on the revenue generation side and very little else. That is wrong for an institution like United. As I say, disingenuous to dismiss fans who are unhappy with these owners. And blinkered to support them based on transfer spend.
Agree with a lot of what you said in your post , if you want new owners you might like to have this guy running the club who I heard about in another thread. I certainly want him here if the Glazers do decide to sell: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...-chelsea-jim-ratcliffe-manchester-united-fan/

I’m never going to ‘support’ the Glazers - but post Sir Alex planning should have been (and was) with David Gill, not the owners. Very convenient of him to walk away when he did.

They are not going anywhere - they have a £3-4bn asset that is the best run financial club in the world.

I understand the criticism of the owners, but much of it is through a lack of understanding of finance and debt - there is good debt and bad debt. Furthermore, many fans who want a different owner, who just throws money at the team, has no debt, and is willing to spend £4bn to have a personal plaything are living in cloud cuckoo land. The Glazers are by no means perfect, but are a hell of a lot better than most owners. Just imagine if we had someone like Mike Astley and we played at the Sports Direct Arena Old Trafford.

Eric's Seagull

The Glazers are by no means perfect, but are a hell of a lot better than most owners. Just imagine if we had someone like Mike Astley and we played at the Sports Direct Arena Old Trafford.
I personally don't like the Glazers ownership but would rather have them than someone like Mike Ashley. One thing I will give them respect for is not changing the name of Old Trafford which is something I thought they definitely would do.