Nani

Godfather

Of course, because the amount of faith that United fans on the Caf have for him is directly related to how well he performs.

:angel:
No but because he doesnt get a run of games?
Ronaldo has been pretty shit in his last games as well, but I'm sure he well start performing again same goes for Nani

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No but because he doesnt get a run of games?
Ronaldo has been pretty shit in his last games as well, but I'm sure he well start performing again same goes for Nani
He doesn't get a run of games but neither does Park, he's in and out every other week.

Wingers are meant to be able to make an impact whenever they're given the chance and Nani's been a liability up until now.

There's a guarantee Ronaldo will get back to form, there's no such guarantee with Nani.

Godfather

He doesn't get a run of games but neither does Park, he's in and out every other week.

Wingers are meant to be able to make an impact whenever they're given the chance and Nani's been a liability up until now.

There's a guarantee Ronaldo will get back to form, there's no such guarantee with Nani.
Well Park's had a pretty long run of games hadn't he? And he certainly did pretty well, but that Nani's hasnt even been on the bench was confusing.

Don't exactly get your point with the last bit. What gives you that guarantee with Ronaldo? And what makes you so unsure bout Nani?

There will be progress, I'm sure and it will come if he starts some games, and Nani on form gives us more offensively than Park and that's what we need right now.

Brwned

Well Park's had a pretty long run of games hadn't he? And he certainly did pretty well, but that Nani's hasnt even been on the bench was confusing.

Don't exactly get your point with the last bit. What gives you that guarantee with Ronaldo? And what makes you so unsure bout Nani?

There will be progress, I'm sure and it will come if he starts some games, and Nani on form gives us more offensively than Park and that's what we need right now.
Park started off the season behind Nani. Nani failed to impress so Park got his chance, and he took it. That's entirely Nani's fault and an excuse shouldn't be made for him.

Ronaldo's shown consistency for the last 2 years, Nani's done nothing of the sort.

It's what we need? From what I can see we've steadily being making progress on the league leaders without 'needing' Nani, actually.

The only reason there's so much support for Nani is because he's an exciting player, if Park and Nani swapped roles there wouldn't be half as much support.

Chris H

Video Posting God
he has the potential to just be so much better than him, and he already was last year
Why then did Park play nearly every game at the business end of the season, while Nani had to content himself with a few appearances as a substitute, and a few afternoons in the stand? Perhaps Sir Alex believed that playing Park instead of Nani gave the team a better chance of winning these crucial games. And by perhaps, I mean that it is glaringly obvious. And personally I've never said Nani was shite. Just that sometimes, he fecks up too much, and that won't fly against tough opposition.

ANd your comparision between Evra and Oshea just isnt acceptable at all. Wingers's jobs is it to have a shitload of assists and to score goals, Park's isn't really the best at both of that.
Absolutely wrong. A winger's job is to do whatever the feck Sir Alex Ferguson thinks will best help Manchester United to win. Forget what we may have read as kids, or what our coaches may have told us, or what those idiots on Match of the Day say about positional play. There are plenty of pundits (and posters) who will say that a winger's primary task is to put in crosses and set up pothers for goals - a standard by which Ronaldo had a very bad year last season. And that forwards should be good targets in the araea, lead the line, and score a ton of goals - standard by which Rooney and TEvez were not that great last season. And that central midfielders, among other responsibilities, need to be "box-to-box" players who score a lot of goals, or make a lot of crunching tackles a la Keano - a standard by which we had no good CMs last season.

And yet we did pretty well. And our players were damned good.

Nani's crossing, shooting (all that a winger needs btw)
Sorry, but that's completely wrong. By that standard, we should re-sign David Beckham and let Park go, yet no manager in his right mind would do that. On Manchester United at least, a "winger" has to do more than cross and shoot. A lot more. And sometimes, he doesn't even have to do those particularly well...

Godfather

Park started off the season behind Nani. Nani failed to impress so Park got his chance, and he took it. That's entirely Nani's fault and an excuse shouldn't be made for him.

Ronaldo's shown consistency for the last 2 years, Nani's done nothing of the sort.

It's what we need? From what I can see we've steadily being making progress on the league leaders without 'needing' Nani, actually.

The only reason there's so much support for Nani is because he's an exciting player, if Park and Nani swapped roles there wouldn't be half as much support.
Well if that's all you want. I want ot watch attractive, offensive football and we were lucky to score a goal in our last matches. Nani can score goals from all position, can cross the ball better than anyone at united, is faster and is better on the ball.

His desicion makin lets him down too often and that changes with experience and games so I don't see a reason why he shouldnt get some more games and come back on form.

Don't know what you mean with your last part? Park's a very good and exciting player as well his fighting spirit and running around can win us games as well, but I just think we need a bit more creativity and pace in our game and Nani gives us that.

Ekeke

Of course, because the amount of faith that United fans on the Caf have for him is directly related to how well he performs.

:angel:
Not sure thats true.

Everyone is slagging him off for not playing well this season when he's set up and scored more goals in less time on the pitch than last year.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Not sure thats true.

Everyone is slagging him off for not playing well this season when he's set up and scored more goals in less time on the pitch than last year.
And given the ball away almost as much in half a season as he did in a full one last year. As well as contributing far more "What the feck?" and "Oh, for feck's sake Nani" moments. However there are no statistics for such things.

Brwned

Not sure thats true.

You're the only one who thinks he's performed better this season though.

Brwned

Well if that's all you want. I want ot watch attractive, offensive football and we were lucky to score a goal in our last matches. Nani can score goals from all position, can cross the ball better than anyone at united, is faster and is better on the ball.

His desicion makin lets him down too often and that changes with experience and games so I don't see a reason why he shouldnt get some more games and come back on form.

Don't know what you mean with your last part? Park's a very good and exciting player as well his fighting spirit and running around can win us games as well, but I just think we need a bit more creativity and pace in our game and Nani gives us that.
Seems like a spoilt way of putting it. 'I don't want to win, I want to win and score plenty of goals!'

He will get more games.

Nani gives us feck all creativity if he's constantly giving the ball away, Park rarely loses the ball and helps in the build-up to creating.

Godfather

Why then did Park play nearly every game at the business end of the season, while Nani had to content himself with a few appearances as a substitute, and a few afternoons in the stand? Perhaps Sir Alex believed that playing Park instead of Nani gave the team a better chance of winning these crucial games. And by perhaps, I mean that it is glaringly obvious. And personally I've never said Nani was shite. Just that sometimes, he fecks up too much, and that won't fly against tough opposition.

Absolutely wrong. A winger's job is to do whatever the feck Sir Alex Ferguson thinks will best help Manchester United to win. Forget what we may have read as kids, or what our coaches may have told us, or what those idiots on Match of the Day say about positional play. There are plenty of pundits (and posters) who will say that a winger's primary task is to put in crosses and set up pothers for goals - a standard by which Ronaldo had a very bad year last season. And that forwards should be good targets in the araea, lead the line, and score a ton of goals - standard by which Rooney and TEvez were not that great last season. And that central midfielders, among other responsibilities, need to be "box-to-box" players who score a lot of goals, or make a lot of crunching tackles a la Keano - a standard by which we had no good CMs last season.

And yet we did pretty well. And our players were damned good.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. By that standard, we should re-sign David Beckham and let Park go, yet no manager in his right mind would do that. On Manchester United at least, a "winger" has to do more than cross and shoot. A lot more. And sometimes, he doesn't even have to do those particularly well...
You mean like the final in Moscow? Where Nani kept a cool head and was one of the biggest reasons why we won the final in the end? Good point then.

He was pretty feckin good at it tbh.

Like tackling well, beating his men, show creativity, beeing able to outrun your opposite?
Well Nani's damn good at it tbh.

You won't find many aspect in a winger's game in which Park's better than Nani, that't the truth.

If Nani gets back on form he can be a perfect winger for us and be worldclass, don't know why you don't see that

Godfather

Seems like a spoilt way of putting it. 'I don't want to win, I want to win and score plenty of goals!'

He will get more games.

Nani gives us feck all creativity if he's constantly giving the ball away, Park rarely loses the ball and helps in the build-up to creating.
No? So last year's passing with Evra/Rooney and also Ronaldo wasn't creative? Haven't seen that too much from Park tbh.

Yeah he lacks consistensy, but as you said we can hope that he will get more games and come back on form, and still then I think that Park will be a big factor and will get his games

Brwned

No? So last year's passing with Evra/Rooney and also Ronaldo wasn't creative? Haven't seen that too much from Park tbh.
He was creative last season, less so this season.

Park's been more creative this season.

Ekeke

You're the only one who thinks he's performed better this season though.
Yes, the single one it seems.

I wont deny he's given the ball away more than last year, in fact I make a point of it almost any time I mention him.

But he has scored 1 and has 3 assists in 7 matches this term. So almost every 2 matches he's produced a goal or set one up for someone else.

Last season he had 3 goals and 6 assists in 26 matches. So more like 1 in 3 last time around and he'd still likely have ended up with the most assists in our squad last year if he played as many games as Giggs did.

I'm not saying he hasn't been frustrating. But he's produced more in the final third this season than last season, he's just not played much.

Brwned

Yes, the single one it seems.

I wont deny he's given the ball away more than last year, in fact I make a point of it almost any time I mention him.

But he has scored 1 and has 3 assists in 7 matches this term. So almost every 2 matches he's produced a goal or set one up for someone else.

Last season he had 3 goals and 6 assists in 26 matches. So more like 1 in 3 last time around and he'd still likely have ended up with the most assists in our squad last year if he played as many games as Giggs did.

I'm not saying he hasn't been frustrating. But he's produced more in the final third this season than last season, he's just not played much.
Two of those goals came in the League Cup.

From 8 league and Champions League starts and 5 sub appearances, or 13 overall, he has 1 goal and 2 assists. That's more than 1 in 3.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
As talented as Nani is I just don't get the feeling that he will develop into anything more than a good player. He's no world beater, like Anderson will become imo.

Ekeke

Two of those goals came in the League Cup.

From 8 league and Champions League starts and 5 sub appearances, or 13 overall, he has 1 goal and 2 assists. That's more than 1 in 3.
I only have his league stats and they are more impressive than last year's. I'm only suggesting he needs more time playing in league games.

Park on the other hand has played 12 times according to the premiership site and not set up a single goal? scoring 1. I'm not suggesting Park doesnt bring lots of other things to the side, but Nani can make the difference in a game with a goal or assist. Park hasnt been doing that too often this season.

Chris H

Video Posting God
You mean like the final in Moscow? Where Nani kept a cool head and was one of the biggest reasons why we won the final in the end? Good point then.
Dude. Don't be thick.

No one disputes that Park didn't play the final, nor that Nani scored a penalty in the shoot-out. But look at the previous two months, as opposed to the final 19 minutes of the season, and you see an entirely different pattern. With the exception of those 19 minutes, Ferguson greatly preferred to use Park over Nani. This is a simple fact. It is not my opinion.

You won't find many aspect in a winger's game in which Park's better than Nani, that't the truth.
At the moment, Park is superior in the one most important aspect of any football player's game - helping the team to win.

Nani has more natural talent than Park, it is true. Obvious, in fact. But world football is littered with the wilting careers of men with more talent than our Park, but who became less effective football players. I truly do hope that Nani reaches his potential, which is vast. But until he does, it's just potential. He can fulfill it, but he might not. He would do well to cultivate the focus, drive, and discipline of a player like Park, and of course any young footballer would benefit from Park's experience, which is considerable. And it is in these attributes - not specifically part of a winger's game, but certainly part of a footballer's - that Park is simply better. And it is for this reason that he better helps the team to win at the present time, and it is for that reason that Ferguson keeps putting him in the team. That won't change at all until either Park gets injured, or Nani steps up his game - hopefully the latter. But do not underestimate how difficult it can be for young players to develop those attributes, and do not underestimate their value to a football club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dude. Don't be thick.

No one disputes that Park didn't play the final, nor that Nani scored a penalty in the shoot-out. But look at the previous two months, as opposed to the final 19 minutes of the season, and you see an entirely different pattern. With the exception of those 19 minutes, Ferguson greatly preferred to use Park over Nani. This is a simple fact. It is not my opinion.

At the moment, Park is superior in the one most important aspect of any football player's game - helping the team to win.

Nani has more natural talent than Park, it is true. Obvious, in fact. But world football is littered with the wilting careers of men with more talent than our Park, but who became less effective football players. I truly do hope that Nani reaches his potential, which is vast. But until he does, it's just potential. He can fulfill it, but he might not. He would do well to cultivate the focus, drive, and discipline of a player like Park, and of course any young footballer would benefit from Park's experience, which is considerable. And it is in these attributes - not specifically part of a winger's game, but certainly part of a footballer's - that Park is simply better. And it is for this reason that he better helps the team to win at the present time, and it is for that reason that Ferguson keeps putting him in the team. That won't change at all until either Park gets injured, or Nani steps up his game - hopefully the latter. But do not underestimate how difficult it can be for young players to develop those attributes, and do not underestimate their value to a football club.
Quality post that.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
So the fact that Park is 5 years older, has played in the World Cup and vastly more CL experience than Nani doesn't play a slight role in Fergie's decisions?

Ronaldo is already a developed product in the last 2 years. How about 4-5 years ago, when he was inconsistent, selfish, and immature? You can't deny that he was given far more chances and extended runs than Nani.

That's not true. Nani is a much more direct player who can take on defenders, and cause all sorts of problems for them. Park is intelligent and works hard, links up well, but offers far less penetration and directness than Nani. There is much support for Nani because we remember what he's like at top form, and we want to see more of it. Because when he's in form he is absolutely deadly and Park doesn't even hold a candle to him.

Brwned

So the fact that Park is 5 years older, has played in the World Cup and vastly more CL experience than Nani doesn't play a slight role in Fergie's decisions?

Ronaldo is already a developed product in the last 2 years. How about 4-5 years ago, when he was inconsistent, selfish, and immature? You can't deny that he was given far more chances and extended runs than Nani.

That's not true. Nani is a much more direct player who can take on defenders, and cause all sorts of problems for them. Park is intelligent and works hard, links up well, but offers far less penetration and directness than Nani. There is much support for Nani because we remember what he's like at top form, and we want to see more of it. Because when he's in form he is absolutely deadly and Park doesn't even hold a candle to him.
It's a factor. Just like his performances are, they were both given chances and because of their levels of performance Park is deservedly starting.

Because he was up against Darren Fletcher. And he was 17. Nani's 23 and up against Park and Ronaldo, that's it. Are you trying to say Nani's being unfairly treated and not being given enough chances?

Lets talk about this season, rather than in the past. Half a season is long enough for him to get his act together but he hasn't.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Dude. Don't be thick.

Respect Chris H

oleonenumber20

the difference is that 4-5 years ago when Ronaldo joined was that our sqaud wasn't as strong as it is now. Beckham was sold to Real, Ronaldo was the player to come in a fill his boots. Ronaldo was given more chances because his only other opposition for that right wing slot was fletcher.

a few times last season when park was injured Nani out played an ageing Giggs on the left wing, but he has failed to make that position his like how Ronaldo has done. Park and Nani are different types of wingers, and will be used in different situations. Last season when Park started Nani was coming off the bench and put in a big impact (like scoring against pool) he hasn't done that this season (yet).

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
It's a factor. Just like his performances are, they were both given chances and because of their levels of performance Park is deservedly starting.

Because he was up against Darren Fletcher. Are you trying to say Nani's being unfairly treated and not given enough chances?
No, just pointing out that comparing him to Ronaldo is unfair because 1.) Ronaldo is a phenomenal talent, and 2.) He is already developed while Nani is probably still gelling, and 3.) the fact that Ronaldo was constantly forced into the starting lineup while Nani gets rotated DOES factor a bit into his development. It is always going to be tough for him to get games and face being dropped on a whim when the title race is so tense.

Lets talk about this season, rather than in the past. Half a season is long enough for him to get his act together but he hasn't.
Fair enough. He needs an extended run though and the fact that the team was struggling recently can make it difficult for him to rediscover his form. Be patient on him.

Brwned

No, just pointing out that comparing him to Ronaldo is unfair because 1.) Ronaldo is a phenomenal talent, and 2.) He is already developed while Nani is probably still gelling, and 3.) the fact that Ronaldo was constantly forced into the starting lineup while Nani gets rotated DOES factor a bit into his development. It is always going to be tough for him to get games and face being dropped on a whim when the title race is so tense.

Fair enough. He needs an extended run though and the fact that the team was struggling recently can make it difficult for him to rediscover his form. Be patient on him.
I didn't bring up Ronaldo first though, Godfather did.

Nani's only a year younger than Ronaldo now so I don't think the same leniencies can be made though. But yes, it's an unfair comparison.

I'm very patient, my first post in this thread:

The talent's there, hopefully it'll be shown in more regularity soon though. Total faith in him.

That pass for Nani's goal was magnificent too, and then the great first touch and finish. Great goal.

Godfather

Dude. Don't be thick.

Well I agree with most of that post, it makes perfectly sense, but I still can't share your opinion that Park is better than Nani. Not this season, not last season.
He is in better form and he is more consistent but, as far as I'm concerned and what a winger has to look like, Nani is at least as good as Park.

And only to talk about "potential" in his case is bollocks as well.
He is 21 (or 22?), already plays a very big factor in the Portuguese team, he is the reason why Simao only sits on the bench from game to game.
And last year he already showed that he can fulfil that potential, and also in some flashes of brilliance this year.

So it's not all about him and not fullfilling his potential, it's probably just a lack of form, due to not even sitting on the bench.
He could get out of there if he plays games like tommorrow, and I really hope he starts and even if he dissapoints us I'd still be happy that he played, just because we would see that SAF still has faith in him, not as many others in here.

Park's in better form than Nani is, therefore he plays more than him, that's reasonable and fair.
But nevertheless he should get games, that's my point

Godfather

I didn't bring up Ronaldo first though, Godfather did.

Nani's only a year younger than Ronaldo now so I don't think the same leniencies can be made though. But yes, it's an unfair comparison.

I'm very patient, my first post in this thread:
Well yeah, but I did it in a positive way, I could have brought up anyone who has already went through hard times in this club and came back again after playing more games.
Ronaldo is not the point, Nani's form was.

But I very much agree with your first post.

dave2528

No wonder nanis been shit this season no ones got any faith in him hes getting critisism and is barely playing at all.
If he started the next five games hed probably frustrate for the first few games, but after that hed start to improve big time and we would see him reach a new level.
Its no good playing one game in like a month, him not playing well and then ditching him for another month. hes never gonna progress at that rate.
The lad needs games.IMO.
The problem here is that we don't have the next few games to sit and watch Nani linger on the ball far too long, choose to shoot low percentage shots when teammates are making runs, and overall make very poor decisions. I for one don't want to use the Chelsea match as some sort of on the job training for him.

I'm with everyone here who watches those videos of Nani's skill and ability, and then salivates like Pavlov's dog. His talent practically oozes out of him, like the reacting chemicals in his Jheri curls, but he has definitely regressed in form since last year.

We can argue the why's and how's of that all you like, but I for one don't want to jeopardize points because the heir-apparent at left wing can't get right in the head.

He needs to sort himself out in training and perform when he does get the call. This isn't the type of situation for trial by fire when we have an adequate player in Park, who is a solid and reliable player, and we have important games to play.

And before someone comes back with the "well, we let Ronaldo go out there and trash around for several years before he came good..."

Ronaldo was but a teenager and VERY raw when he arrived, Nani's only a year younger than Christiano but still far behind on the learning curve. Not to mention that our club several years back was in a definite state of rebuilding and uncertainty, and it wasn't as hard to run out a young prospect when the expectations of the club weren't as high as they are at this moment.

I want very much to see the expectation's placed on Nani's shoulders come to fruition. How could anyone not want one of ours to become world class? But I'm also not willing to sacrifice the overall good of the team to build him up when we have other options and the schedule dictates that we play our best eleven.

No one should be giving up on the lad, but lets not jump on the opposite end of that teeter-totter and suggest absurd and unnecessary solutions to his woes.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The problem here is that we don't have the next few games to sit and watch Nani linger on the ball far too long, choose to shoot low percentage shots when teammates are making runs, and overall make very poor decisions. I for one don't want to use the Chelsea match as some sort of on the job training for him.

I'm with everyone here who watches those videos of Nani's skill and ability, and then salivates like Pavlov's dog. His talent practically oozes out of him, like the reacting chemicals in his Jheri curls, but he has definitely regressed in form since last year.

We can argue the why's and how's of that all you like, but I for one don't want to jeopardize points because the heir-apparent at left wing can't get right in the head.

He needs to sort himself out in training and perform when he does get the call. This isn't the type of situation for trial by fire when we have an adequate player in Park, who is a solid and reliable player, and we have important games to play.

And before someone comes back with the "well, we let Ronaldo go out there and trash around for several years before he came good..."

Ronaldo was but a teenager and VERY raw when he arrived, Nani's only a year younger than Christiano but still far behind on the learning curve. Not to mention that our club several years back was in a definite state of rebuilding and uncertainty, and it wasn't as hard to run out a young prospect when the expectations of the club weren't as high as they are at this moment.

I want very much to see the expectation's placed on Nani's shoulders come to fruition. How could anyone not want one of ours to become world class? But I'm also not willing to sacrifice the overall good of the team to build him up when we have other options and the schedule dictates that we play our best eleven.

No one should be giving up on the lad, but lets not jump on the opposite end of that teeter-totter and suggest absurd and unnecessary solutions to his woes.

Agree with the overall concept and the chelsea game isnt the time to give an underporforming player time to find his feet. but we have southampton and a game v derby coming up where id like nani to play in both those games. we should be able to win both games with nani in the team, right? and if hes shocking in those games then i fear for him.

What a debate this is turning out to be!?

I dont know what else I can add. But I will say that Sir Alex is correct to select Park in our first team at the moment. Im a big fan of both Nani and Park but form is rewarded with appearances in our team. Park simply deserves to get games right now because he is showing great consistency in his play. Sure he could be more clinical in front of goal but he keeps getting himself into the right positions and that is half of the work. He also works so hard for the team and is effective in his style of play. He has the ability to create something out of nothing. As long as we keep winning, he will keep playing and rightly so.

Now, Im always here defending Nani and I will do it again because some are far too quick to write him off. Of all the challengers we have brought in over the years to replace Giggs in the starting lineup, he has shown the most technical ability and skill. It may take some patience to mould him into a great winger but we should have faith in him. He is a spectacular winger in everything from his confidence with the ball, skill, wonder goals and celebrations. The added competition in his position should help to bring the best out of him because I want him to be here for the long term. There is no point comparing his progress with Ronaldo although they are similar players. Nani is following a different path to unlock his true potential and I sure hope he does.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Biggest threat from out wide in our team, that includes Ronaldo

Cina

Deserves to start more after todays performance. Seems to have taken criticism on, was far less selfish today.

he'll be a great player in a few years, no doubt.

Godfather

Jup, great performance.
Southampton are shite though, but still you have to perform and he did.

Great crossing, beat his men constantly and almost scored 1 goal and hit the post.
Nice, I want to see more