NBA 2014-2015

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Mimai have offered Bosh 23.5 Million a year contract? :o

I guess Pat Riley doesn't want to lose Bosh along with LeBron and feels its necessary he keeps Bosh.
$20.6m first year with increment (the max), which is the deal he had on the table from Houston.

Respect for Riley for offering it, Bosh has been really good to Miami, and he sacrificed a lot, and he did help Miami win 2 titles, and if Diaw gets $8m for a contribution like that in one title, Bosh is not exactly being underpaid here.

And respect for Bosh for jumping at the chance to stay with the Heat, because he had the exact same offer from a team much better positioned to be a contender, but he decided to stay with the Heat.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
$20.6m first year with increment (the max), which is the deal he had on the table from Houston.

Respect for Riley for offering it, Bosh has been really good to Miami, and he sacrificed a lot, and he did help Miami win 2 titles, and if Diaw gets $8m for a contribution like that in one title, Bosh is not exactly being underpaid here.

And respect for Bosh for jumping at the chance to stay with the Heat, because he had the exact same offer from a team much better positioned to be a contender, but he decided to stay with the Heat.
Yeah, credit to him indeed.

Maybe we will finally get to see him play as a PF along with a centre which would help his game a lot more.

Napier - Wade - Deng(?) - Bosh - New Centre(?)

With McRoberts, Granger, Cole etc looks fine. Not the favs obviously but they will be contenders.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I thought Bosh got the 5 year max, which only Miami could offer?
Yeah one year difference but the exact same salary structure.

But he didn't stay for the extra year, he wanted to stay in Miami, and he was the only one of the big 3 to publicly say numerous times even during the season that he will be ready to take pay-cuts (I mean big pay-cuts like $5m+ per year) if that means he's gonna stay in Miami, showing great respect and loyalty for the organization.

After James left, it would have been disrespectful from Miami to offer him less money than the money Houston already offered, and when they made their offer he accepted it immediately. No thinking about it, no deliberation, nothing.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Yeah, credit to him indeed.

Maybe we will finally get to see him play as a PF along with a centre which would help his game a lot more.

Napier - Wade - Deng(?) - Bosh - New Centre(?)

With McRoberts, Granger, Cole etc looks fine. Not the favs obviously but they will be contenders.
At least I'm now pretty confident that Miami will be in the playoffs, especially if they add Deng or Ariza.

The roster doesn't look that great, but hopefully Bosh and Wade will be able to show more next season. Napier is not going to start next season. It's either Cole, Chalmers, or they sign a veteran (like Nelson). The Center position is the biggest problem.

If they make it to the second round next season I'm very happy. Unless they lose to the Cavs, which will make me a little sad.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Wonder how does Wade feel about all this. He took a paycut to get the big 3 together, opted out this season, Bosh and LeBron will be getting the max, while I have doubts Wade will be offered the max if Miami wants to put together a team that can challenge.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Wonder how does Wade feel about all this. He took a paycut to get the big 3 together, opted out this season, Bosh and LeBron will be getting the max, while I have doubts Wade will be offered the max if Miami wants to put together a team that can challenge.
It's already reported that he will take a (big) pay-cut (from the max) to allow the Heat to add a third good piece. It's also reported that the Bulls did show interest, but he didn't even open the door for negotiations. He made it clear that he's not leaving Miami no matter what. (The offer was actually made before Bosh re-signed when it looked like he was headed to Houston).

Wade is the heart and soul for Miami. He is part of the Heat organization now and he wants it to succeed as much as Pat Riley does. Obviously he will get very respectable money because the Heat would want to reward him too, but he (and Haslem by the way) are not going to argue over money with Miami, nor will they have any hard feelings when they make a sacrifice, because they consider themselves as part of the organization.

Skills

Snitch
There was no chance he was ever going to leave all that money behind anyway.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Heat might be able to solve their cap problem in an unexpected and ironic way..

Their main target now for the Heat is Deng, who happens to be on Cleveland's books right now (which is incidentally where Lebron is heading in case you missed it). The idea (if they agree with him on a deal) is to not sign him as a free agent (for cap space) which would limit their flexibility greatly by depriving them the right to use all of their exceptions (including bird rights to re-sign their current players), but to make a trade for him with Cleveland (Deng for Lebron, which is a bit unfair I know but it's ok), and that will not only help them retain all the exceptions they have including the MLE, but will also enable them to offer competitive money to all of their players from last year.

The only catch is, Dan Gilbert and Cleveland helping the Heat? Not sure about that... However, if Lebron is going to do the same thing he did when he came to Miami (demand the fifth year on his contract), then he can easily facilitate this trade (in the same way he got Cleveland all those draft picks from Miami in 2010). Will he do it?

If Lebron doesn't want to cooperate, then the Heat might need to give away even more draft picks to Cleveland to make it possible, which would pretty much ensures that every single draft pick the Heat had in this decade is going to Cleveland.

Of course it's still someway away (the Heat are still negotiating with Deng over salary), but I thought it's an interesting scenario just to think about it. And who knows, it could happen.

Zen

LeBron went grovelling back there.....he can't demand shit.

ThaReaper01

If Melo signs with Chicago, I will explode all over the place. Strange, though, that even with Boozer being amnestied and Rose coming back from yet another knee injury, Chicago was 4th favorite for the title next season. Does Vegas know something we don't or do they just have massive faith in Dougie and D-Rose?
So they have an unreal amount of faith in D-Rose's 2 replacement knees and a rookie from a mid-major. And Thibs. 1/3 ain't bad.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
So... Lakers gonna suck again next season?
Better shot at actually making the playoffs next season if Kobe stays fit and the new coach makes the most of what he has, but nothing beyond first round imo. Still banking on 2015, which I don't think will pay dividends.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
James really cares about bringing a title back to Ohio, to Cleveland so much that he only signed a 2 year contract.
And the second year is a player option. So he can become a free agent next year too if he wants.

I loved this piece on CBSSports in the news reporting the contract:
"At this point, James wouldn't dare leave Cleveland due to what the backlash would be after coming back for just two years, so the Cavs can rest pretty easy that this is strictly a financial situation for LeBron and not a way to get out if it's not going well."
I thought he would not leave Cleveland because it's "home", and because he "really wants to brings them a championship", and because he has "matured" now and he's "really sincere" now.. ;) Yeah, I agree, nobody will believe that and it won't really make the Cleveland fans feel any easier.

Meanwhile, it looks like the Lebron-Deng trade is off.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Actually this is now very puzzling for me. I can understand that "official excuse for the 2-year contract" of being able to sign a bigger deal in 2016, but that opt-out option in 2015 does not make any sense whatsoever, apart from simply leaving himself with an easy way out if he doesn't like how things are going next season..

It makes no sense at all. He will have no bird rights next year (he lost them because he signed as a free agent), so he can't sign a new deal with Cleveland next year, why would you have an opt-out option for next year?

I'm not sure there is any other "excuse" to justify that. Am I missing something here?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
It makes perfect sense. If there is a key player the Cavs can bring in and are trying to wiggle under the cap, he can opt out and take less. Some of you guys are constantly looking for these machiavellian twists.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It makes perfect sense. If there is a key player the Cavs can bring in and are trying to wiggle under the cap, he can opt out and take less. Some of you guys are constantly looking for these machiavellian twists.
But he specifically said he wanted a max deal this time, it would be strange if he changed his mind so quickly.

What about taking less money this season for wiggle room, or next season? A 1 year contract is even more flexible.

But he can opt out so I guess it is really a 1 year contract.

Honestly I don't think players should be sentimental towards their teams, the owners deserve this sort of stuff because they show no loyalty.

The only loyalty in the game is between the players, and obviously taking care of business is acceptable between teammates, or former teammates.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I like Pierce replacing Ariza. Ariza was the most replaceable of the starting 5-Pierce will be a nice placeholder until Porter can develop. Now that James left The Heat, Wiz are serious division front-runners.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Why didn't he take a pay cut this year (with Cleveland)? They're definitely struggling with room now to add Miller and Allen.

Why did he come out defiantly like that this year and asked for the max? A max for one year? I don't get it.

Why doesn't he wait until the next year (2016)? When the cap goes higher and Cleveland will have a lot of possibilities? His contract is already for only 2 years. And by the way, Cleveland have a lot of good pieces to trade for another player, so it's not even like how the situation was in Miami. They don't need to make cap space to bring in new super-stars. They could just trade the so many assets they have (in addition to the picks they have next year).

In fact staying over the cap for them is more beneficial because they have so many pieces, that it will be better if they use their exceptions (bird rights) to bring them all back in, than start over and be limited by cap space.

I think this is becoming too sentimental of a situation, that they're starting to make it look more like a love story than an actual business (which it in fact is). The media are not even clarifying some important things, and just want to sweep it under the carpet, all to be able to run their touching story.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Why didn't he take a pay cut this year (with Cleveland)? They're definitely struggling with room now to add Miller and Allen.

Why did he come out defiantly like that this year and asked for the max? A max for one year? I don't get it.

Why doesn't he wait until the next year (2016)? When the cap goes higher and Cleveland will have a lot of possibilities? His contract is already for only 2 years. And by the way, Cleveland have a lot of good pieces to trade for another player, so it's not even like how the situation was in Miami. They don't need to make cap space to bring in new super-stars. They could just trade the so many assets they have (in addition to the picks they have next year).

In fact staying over the cap for them is more beneficial because they have so many pieces, that it will be better if they use their exceptions (bird rights) to bring them all back in, than start over and be limited by cap space.

I think this is becoming too sentimental of a situation, that they're starting to make it look more like a love story than an actual business (which it in fact is). The media are not even clarifying some important things, and just want to sweep it under the carpet, all to be able to run their touching story.
Because Lebron, like anyone, wants to make a lot of money. He just spent 4 years making less than he could have. If Cleveland brings in a superstar (Kevin Love), it will be to re-sign him. Thus the Jarrett Jack trade.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Because Lebron, like anyone, wants to make a lot of money. He just spent 4 years making less than he could have. If Cleveland brings in a superstar (Kevin Love), it will be to re-sign him. Thus the Jarrett Jack trade.
Lebron didn't sacrifice that much money in Miami. Merely around $2m per year (well, compared to his salary).

Cleveland don't have many guaranteed pieces for 2015, so they would be able to add Love easily next year without Lebron taking a pay cut (if they wanted to). However, Cleveland should not do what Miami did in 2010. Miami had no good pieces to retain (which is why they sacrificed their bird rights easily and went for a clean slate). If Cleveland does this then they're the stupidest team in the league. They have the bird rights for many good pieces to bring back next year, and they could use them far more effectively than the 2 millions Lebron is going to sacrifice to build a better team.

It really doesn't make any sense to have an opt-out for next year.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Miami signed Deng, 2-year $10m per year, and re-signed Mario Chalmers (2 years, salary unknown so far).

Roster now:

Bosh
Deng
McRoberts
Chalmers
Cole
Granger
Napier

The Heat are also expected to sign Wade, Haslem and Ennis (he has impressed during the Summer league).

Miami is now trying to re-sign Birdman. If they get him, the rest of the roster would be pretty much filled with minimum players (apart from one $2m exception they have).

It looks like Wade and Haslem will be the last players to sign for Miami, taking what's left after filling the roster.

Miami are trying to aim for another go in 2016, while staying reasonably competitive in the next two years.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The Mavs get Parsons!

That gives them a starting 5 of:

Tyson Chandler
Dirk
Chandler Parsons
Monta Ellis
Devin Harris

bench of:
Raymond Felton
DeJuan Blair
Jae Crowder

Not bad at all. If they can show up in the playoffs like the did last season then I think that team could win it all. Not that they'd be the most likely, but I think people will underestimate their chances.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Good move by the mavs, but I still don't expect them to get out of the first round. Houston will likely make other moves now.

Miami have Birdman back too. Great to see the core of last year's team sticking with the Heat after James left.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Birdman resigned for 2 years (I think) with the heat. Deng signed with the heat.

Bulls have officially brought Mitrovic into the lineup, as well as Pau Gasol (like I predicted before the weekend ;)). Also Hinrich has signed on for less money to stay with the Bulls. They will have a great defensive backcourt in Pau and Noah, wow.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
The Mavs get Parsons!

That gives them a starting 5 of:

Tyson Chandler
Dirk
Chandler Parsons
Monta Ellis
Devin Harris

bench of:
Raymond Felton
DeJuan Blair
Jae Crowder

Not bad at all. If they can show up in the playoffs like the did last season then I think that team could win it all. Not that they'd be the most likely, but I think people will underestimate their chances.
I think the Mavs are working on a sign-and-trade that would See Dejuan Blar move on.

Zen

Rose
Dunleavy
Butler
Gasol
Noah

Augustin, Hinrich, McDermott, Taj, Mirotic the new bench mob.

If Rose was Rose, that's a better set up than the 2010-11 team, but he's not or won't be for next season anyway.