NBA 2017-2018

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It's the Clippers.

That being said, what would have been the better option? Trade for Parker and Ginobili's expiring contracts? I'd be horrified seeing them in that jersey.
So many teams would love to have Paul. If not should have traded for draft picks before the draft.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Paul is leaving a lot of money on the table to do this, isn't he?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Paul will not go to Houston. They are always linked with big free agents but Howard aside, they don't seem to be able to get any.
Great timing:lol:

Classy move by Paul to tell the Clippers of his intentions and make sure they get something in return. However, I don't know if he and Harden work well together and I don't think thats enough to beat the Warriors.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Paul is leaving a lot of money on the table to do this, isn't he?
I thought the Rockets get whatever rights the Clippers have with a trade and he'll get the max he wants if he re-signs with the Rockets now?

The new max contract was basically his baby to give him that last glorious pay cheque he wants, fat chance he's going to leave it on the table.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Rumor has it that the Rovkets are still pushing for Melo and Paul George, a big 3 of CP3, Harden, and George would be :drool: .

elmo

Classy move by Paul to tell the Clippers of his intentions and make sure they get something in return. However, I don't know if he and Harden work well together and I don't think thats enough to beat the Warriors.
I'm sure it has nothing to do with him getting a much bigger salary through a trade than him opting out and signing as a free agent.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I am so terrible at predictions this year :lol:

Sarni

I'm sure it has nothing to do with him getting a much bigger salary through a trade than him opting out and signing as a free agent.
Yeah he gets $40M or so extra. I think Rockets will regret this move.

elmo

Harden just had his best ever season, playing at PG and they sign CP3 now? Doesn't make sense.
It's CP3. The moment you get an opportunity to trade for someone like him without giving up your best assets, you do it first and worry on how to make things work later.

ZDwyr

I think Paul and Harden are both smart enough players to make it work. Obviously there may be a bit of an adjustment but at the end of the day I think there is too much talent there for it not to work. Not a huge fan of the sign and trade though. Paul did the right thing by the Clippers but he significantly weakens the team he is joining because they have to give up so many assets. Like Melo when he moved from Denver.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
According to Pablo Torre (and he said he could not confirm if true) the Clippers had a trade offer from the Knicks (during the season I think was said) that would have sent Melo and Vujacic to LA for Rivers, Crawford, another player I can't recall the name stated, and a future 1st rd pick. However, according to Torre's inside scoop the trade was nixed because Doc wouldn't trade his son. Imagine if that's even partially true on the refusal to trade his son to land a player that would immediately improve the squad.

Oh, and Houston can feck off. Hope they crash and burn again.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I really like the Paul trade. He'll really enjoy life in Houston, and the tactic of double teaming either Paul or Harden when they were at different teams will now be a recipe for disaster. They should probably get the 2nd seed.

Sarni

I think Paul and Harden are both smart enough players to make it work. Obviously there may be a bit of an adjustment but at the end of the day I think there is too much talent there for it not to work. Not a huge fan of the sign and trade though. Paul did the right thing by the Clippers but he significantly weakens the team he is joining because they have to give up so many assets. Like Melo when he moved from Denver.
Does he? Beverley and maybe Williams aside, what they gave up is a lot of tosh. Players like Dekker and Harrell are not ready to contribute much. They'll be able to get better talent in free agency.

They gave away:

- Patrick Beverley - good player but Paul is direct replacement
- Lou Williams - not needed when Harden moves back to SG and they still have Gordon
- DeAndre Liggins - not worth much
- Darrun Hilliard - worthless
- Montrezl Harrell - not worth much, little experience, not ready
- Sam Dekker - not worth much, hasn't impressed
- Kyle Wijtler -not worth much
- 2018 first round pick - that's going to be a very late first, not worth much

RDCR07

Paul George is tapping up Klay Thompson to come play for the Lakers after next season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Rockets going after Melo and Blake also.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Am I the only one who doesn't get why so many are after Melo? At the contract he'd demand, I'd want him nowhere near my team.

RDCR07

Am I the only one who doesn't get why so many are after Melo? At the contract he'd demand, I'd want him nowhere near my team.
He is a still a very very good offensive player. Can create his own shot. Trying to compete with GS and win NOW. Next best '3' available to George I guess. Teams think its a matter of 15-20 points before they can beat GS but its not that simple. You can have Paul, Harden, Melo all score 30 and they still wont beat GS.

RDCR07

According to Pablo Torre (and he said he could not confirm if true) the Clippers had a trade offer from the Knicks (during the season I think was said) that would have sent Melo and Vujacic to LA for Rivers, Crawford, another player I can't recall the name stated, and a future 1st rd pick. However, according to Torre's inside scoop the trade was nixed because Doc wouldn't trade his son. Imagine if that's even partially true on the refusal to trade his son to land a player that would immediately improve the squad.

Oh, and Houston can feck off. Hope they crash and burn again.
If that is what actually happened then the Clippers are stupider than I thought. And if I was the Clippers management, I would have thrown out Doc for that bullshit. Instead of having a team with DJ, resigning Blake, Melo, CP3, you now have only DJ. Good job Clips!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He is a still a very very good offensive player. Can create his own shot. Trying to compete with GS and win NOW. Next best '3' available to George I guess. Teams think its a matter of 15-20 points before they can beat GS but its not that simple. You can have Paul, Harden, Melo all score 30 and they still wont beat GS.
Does he take a lot of touches? Is he efficient?

He has never struck me as someone who wins a championship as the first or second option. I can't even say why. Just dont see it.

RDCR07

He has never struck me as someone who wins a championship as the first or second option. I can't even say why. Just dont see it.
I think he is efficient. He can catch fire in any game real quick. Carrier FG% of over 45%. His 3 point efficiency isnt the best at 34% but his midrange game is brilliant at over 47% FG%. I also think he is a pretty clutch player. He never really had the team around him to make a run at the Championship except maybe one year at Denver.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Fair enough. I think he could have in his prime with a strong supporting cast, a la Dirk 2011.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It's looking more and more likely that Iggy is going to leave. After the finals it appeared everything was going to be smooth sailing on a contract renewal but now it's being reported that there are teams out there that may be offering 20 million/per. Don't see the Dubs matching that especially with the luxury tax problems that are sure to hit them down the road. It appears the "Death" lineup will soon be the "Really Ill" lineup. :(

Last edited:

ZDwyr

Does he? Beverley and maybe Williams aside, what they gave up is a lot of tosh. Players like Dekker and Harrell are not ready to contribute much. They'll be able to get better talent in free agency.

They gave away:

- Patrick Beverley - good player but Paul is direct replacement
- Lou Williams - not needed when Harden moves back to SG and they still have Gordon
- DeAndre Liggins - not worth much
- Darrun Hilliard - worthless
- Montrezl Harrell - not worth much, little experience, not ready
- Sam Dekker - not worth much, hasn't impressed
- Kyle Wijtler -not worth much
- 2018 first round pick - that's going to be a very late first, not worth much
I'm pretty high on Dekker, so my opinion is probably skewed by that. I think Beverley leaving is a big deal too though, he was their heart and soul and they'll lose something there. I was probably a little too critical when I made that comment as they are obviously a better team now that they have Paul. I was just matching them up against the Warriors and they still don't have enough talent IMO. Keeping Williams and/or Dekker for depth would have been great - but very hard to do.

It's looking more and more likely that Iggy is going to leave. After the finals it appeared everything was going to be smooth sailing on a contract renewal but now it's being reported that there are teams out there that may be offering 20 million/per. Don't see the Dubs matching that especially with the luxury tax problems that are sure to hit them down the road. It appears the "Death" lineup will soon be the "Really Ill" lineup. :(
It totally sucks when you lose someone from your best line-up and then have to just rely on your 2x MVP, the second best player in the league, the best defender in the league, and your lockdown 3 and D guy who is probably the second best shooter ever....
:smirk:

Moby

Dick
It totally sucks when you lose someone from your best line-up and then have to just rely on your 2x MVP, the second best player in the league, the best defender in the league, and your lockdown 3 and D guy who is probably the second best shooter ever....
:lol: First world problems.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I really appreciate the commiserations but sometimes you've just got to take it on the chin and move on. ;)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Klay already rated higher as a shooter than Ray Allen et al?