NBA 2017-2018

ZDwyr

Rose linked with Minnesota via buy-out is hilarious to me. Thibs recreating his old team is so strange.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
Yep, he played his heart out last year, but did himself no favors this season (can’t fault him completely, but he isn’t without blame). Lost a lot of money during that span, shame for him.

Doesnt really matter, he’ll likely be gone in free agency (unless he returns to Celtics form and takes a fan discount). I’d play him off the bench though.
Can you expand on this? I didn't know about any of IT's problems last year.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yes, that's true. Memphis were in absolutely no position to drive a hard bargain though. And they got some decent offers, reportedly - Mudiay and a second rounder ; two second rounders and Yabu. Those are much better than nothing, which is what they will get now. Absurd.
I agree. Chris Wallace should have been fired eons ago. That's a different story though.

ArseHat

Can you expand on this? I didn't know about any of IT's problems last year.
Last year with the Celtics he was great. Stevens utilized him perfectly masking his deficiencies on defense and optimizing his offensive output. I doubt he’ll return to that form again. He’s ideally a Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford type impact scorer off the bench.

If you mean with the Cavs? He’s only been there a couple of months, but it’s obvious he’s been rubbing people in that organization the wrong way. He called out Love, criticized Ty Lue, questioned the team’s character, and blamed his teammates for their lackluster defense saying his Celtics were better defensively (bearing in mind he’s one of the worst defensive players in NBA history and the Celtics defense was good in spite of him and not because of him).

Some of the criticisms are fair enough, but some things you don’t say in public, especially since he’s a been on the team for only half a season and has hardly been a factor. He didn’t admit to being a part of the problem and kept on whining. Not to mention the Boston tribute fiasco.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Cavs were not in a good spot they did the best they can do with the situation they in. Obviously a bigger problem was their defense but, another issue was the fact on offense guys like Wade, Rose and IT needed the ball. Wade was the only one who was even playing decently. And only IT is a 3 point shooter out of the 3 and he was shooting unbelievably poor. LeBron is the best player maybe ever at creating open three pointers for teammates and Hill and Hood are knock down shooters who do not dominate the ball. And they can be really good defenders when focused. Clarkson gives them someone who can play both guard positions and can possibly be the primary ball handler for the second unit. Nance gives them someone who can be Tristan's backup or even possibly replace him in the starting lineup if he continues being terrible. I think with these moves Cavs will come out the East again when a day ago I wondered if they would make it out of the first round.

freeurmind

weak willed
Good deals for the Cavs getting younger and way better defensively but it's going to be tough for them to score in the payoffs when Lebron isn't on the floor.

freeurmind

weak willed
It's to the point where it's not even funny anymore. Porzingis should have been shut down for the year a long time ago but they chose instead to chase the 8th spot. Hopefully now we can tank beautifully and get a decent pick. Really disappointed we didn't at least try to get Kemba.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Good deals for the Cavs getting younger and way better defensively but it's going to be tough for them to score in the payoffs when Lebron isn't on the floor.
Always a problem with LeBron teams. His teams have consistently been bad offensively when he is not on the floor.

freeurmind

weak willed
Can someone explain to me why the Knicks traded for Mudiay? Oh the Knicks front office is a joke? Sorry, for a minute I had forgotten.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Can someone explain to me why the Knicks traded for Mudiay? Oh the Knicks front office is a joke? Sorry, for a minute I had forgotten.
The price wasn't huge so they took a chance. Mudiay isn't great but he has some talent, and McDermott wasn't going to be very good anyway.

Sarni

Embiid is going for a massive line tonight. 20 points and 10 rebounds so far in a half.

freeurmind

weak willed
The price wasn't huge so they took a chance. Mudiay isn't great but he has some talent, and McDermott wasn't going to be very good anyway.
The move only makes sense in a universe where we don't already have a young PG who needs minutes and Mudiay isn't terrible. Honestly, I think Dolan gets the front office to sabotage the Knicks every year.

Sarni

The move only makes sense in a universe where we don't already have a young PG who needs minutes and Mudiay isn't terrible. Honestly, I think Dolan gets the front office to sabotage the Knicks every year.
Well I don't at all understand the way Ntilikina has been handled, I think he has good potential but the way he has been neglected I won't be surprised if Knicks trade him for a second round pick in two years.

At this point Knicks have nothing to play for so a player like him should be getting 20 mpg comfortably...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Is it my impression or that Finnish guy, Markkanen from the Chicago Bulls looks a good prospect for their future?

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Is it my impression or that Finnish guy, Markannen from the Chicago Bulls looks a good prospect for their future?
His qualities are perfect for the modern NBA, so he has a bright future, certainly. I doubt he'll ever be a (good) team's number 1 but he could be a great 2nd/3rd option on a future contender.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
His qualities are perfect for the modern NBA, so he has a bright future, certainly. I doubt he'll ever be a (good) team's number 1 but he could be a great 2nd/3rd option on a future contender.
More Pau Gasol than Nowitzki?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Clips going around of Markelle Fultz airballing shots inside the paint. So strange what's happening there.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
More Pau Gasol than Nowitzki?
It's hard to say how good rookies will get. Dirk comparisons are inevitable for every 7 ft European that comes to the league and there are actually some stylistic similarities, though Markkanen doesn't have the post moves. Honestly, he looks to me like a giant Klay Thompson, at the moment, more than anything else. Mixed with a bit of Kevin Love perhaps (Cavs version). That's why I'm saying I could see him in more of a secondary role. I don't know how good he'll actually get though. He's better than a rookie Dirk, for example, so you never know.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He's better than a rookie Dirk, for example, so you never know.
Yes and I had the chance to see yesterday a full match vs the Timberwolves and the Bulls are godawfull as a team, hopefully that wasn't their normal standard, even if they won, which makes Lauri numbers even more impressive for a guy who only played 1 year in the United States before coming to the NBA.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Hearing the Rox will sign Wright and Joe Johnson as both are getting bought out, if true and provided they rest more for the rest of the season I can honestly see them beating the Warriors.

mav_9me

Well I don't at all understand the way Ntilikina has been handled, I think he has good potential but the way he has been neglected I won't be surprised if Knicks trade him for a second round pick in two years.

At this point Knicks have nothing to play for so a player like him should be getting 20 mpg comfortably...
I haven't seen him play much so I'm not qualified to say much. But what I've read and heard is that he hasn't shown anything in the minutes he has gotten so far, particularly offensively.

It does appear that their front office now has basically moved on from him.

Sarni

I haven't seen him play much so I'm not qualified to say much. But what I've read and heard is that he hasn't shown anything in the minutes he has gotten so far, particularly offensively.

It does appear that their front office now has basically moved on from him.
He doesn't offer much offensively at this point but defensively he already seems like a very good player, which is a start.

You can't give up on a 19-year old coming from France after a year but this is Knicks so you never know. They drafted him over Smith and Mitchell.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Ntilikina was always considered a long-term prospect. Nobody thought he was NBA ready when he was drafted. He's not going to get there if he doesn't get minutes though.

freeurmind

weak willed
The new Knicks GM clearly doesn't believe in Frank. Not sure Hornacek rates him either. If the Knicks don't rate him, it would have made much more sense to package him with Willie, O'Quinn and a pick and make a go at Kemba rather thn getting Mudiay. But this is the Knicks. We are destined to lose KP to free agency and never win a title as long as Dolan owns the team.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Couple of games at watchable time tonight, including Celtics - New Cavs. Can't wait for that.

Let's please talk about something so that I don't go in the football forum.

JoaquinJoaquin

The new Knicks GM clearly doesn't believe in Frank. Not sure Hornacek rates him either. If the Knicks don't rate him, it would have made much more sense to package him with Willie, O'Quinn and a pick and make a go at Kemba rather thn getting Mudiay. But this is the Knicks. We are destined to lose KP to free agency and never win a title as long as Dolan owns the team.
The Mudiay trade was fine. Taking a chance on a young player with something to prove for McDermott who has been poor since November is a good trade. Frank is going to be used as a combo guard so we may see a lot of him at SG. Right now he isn't good enough to be a starting PG and with Mudiay we bring in someone who can grow into the role. Kemba is a short term solution and we have suffered from that too much already in the last few years. Need to play the long game.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Hearing the Rox will sign Wright and Joe Johnson as both are getting bought out, if true and provided they rest more for the rest of the season I can honestly see them beating the Warriors.
As an unbiased observer ;), I think if the Dubs play their best basketball they win it all. The trouble is over the last few weeks that hasn't been happening and if they continue to play at their current level I can indeed see the Rockets winning a Championship. The real test will come during the post season where neither Harden or Chris Paul have exactly set the world on fire. Currently, I believe the Rockets are playing the best basketball of anybody. The question is, will that be the case in April, May and June?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
As an unbiased observer ;), I think if the Dubs play their best basketball they win it all. The trouble is over the last few weeks that hasn't been happening and if they continue to play at their current level I can indeed see the Rockets winning a Championship. The real test will come during the post season where neither Harden or Chris Paul have exactly set the world on fire. Currently, I believe the Rockets are playing the best basketball of anybody. The question is, will that be the case in April, May and June?
I agree with most of this, Harden needs to turn up big in the play offs and so does CP3 so we can stand a chance, but at least we addressed the depth issue.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Great game so far. The Cavs already look much better even without LeBron for half the quarter. Their offense is so much more energetic.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
CP3 aside from that OKC series couple of years ago has generally played very well in the playoffs.

Harden though needs to step up. But having a second ball-handler and playmaker who could create shots for Harden as well would help.

Houston need to absolutely dominate the glass. Capela has been a beast this season and he needs to continue that for Houston to win against Warriors.

But imo, the deciding factor will be the bench. The second unit of Warriors usually kill the teams. However Houston have added depth and experience to their team now. Still they need to stagger mins between CP and Harden and have one of them always on the floor.

A second unit of "CP/Harden - Gordon - LRMAM - Iso Joe - PJ Tucker" is quite good.