NBA 2023-2024

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think this divorce is good for both parts.

Wasn’t he supposed to not report to any other team than Miami though?
I was trying to call you a casual but you didn’t bite :mad::wenger:

Yeah for you lot it’s start of a rebuild where you’re already a couple of years ahead of the curve with the young talents you’ve already accumulated. Exciting times. Glad he didn’t end up in Miami.

sport2793

Bucks are the only winners there. Suns and Blazers came out of this down bad.

Blazers trade their franchise superstar for what will probably end up being 2 first round picks and Deandre Ayton.

Suns trade DeAndre ayton for Nurkic and Nassir Little?
Grayson Allen too, the Suns downgrade a bit at the 5 (although Ayton definitely cannot be trusted in the playoffs anymore) but are far more athletic and have better shooting around KD and Book than last season. The Nuggets defensive strategy was they sold out on KD and Book leaving the corner 3 open that ended up being a wise move. Suns have more center depth now so Nurk doesn't have to play 82 per se. Being objective, I think the Suns improved offensively as Ayton provides no spacing and wants to take mid range shots, clogging up the areas KD, Book, and Beal want to use, while having a glut of excellent wing 3 point shooters and athletes to spread the floor and get out in transition. Defensively, the Suns probably improved also as Nurk is a better interior defender than Ayton and while Nurk is worse at PnR defending, Ayton was so disinterested last year that it won't be as much of a drop as people think. With Vogel, Suns will switch to drop defense and switch 1-4. Where this trade looks bad for the Suns is the optics of losing the #1 pick for a few role players and the idea that Ayton will turn into an elite center. Ayton will never be Embiid or Jokic and the Suns have KD, Book, and Beal. I promise everyone that Ayton will never care about winning as much as getting his and getting paid. So in reality it's not as much of a loss for the Suns as people think.

Also when the Bucks won the finals in 2021, I thought a lot of that was to do with Jrue doing a job on Book and CP3 at key points in the series. Bucks will be better offensively but worse defensively in my view. I think Bucks become favorites in the East and maybe for the title but it isn't as clear cut as people make it out to be. I would be more intrigued by which contender trades a pick for Jrue, depending on who it is, they will get an excellent two way player, albeit in the later stages of career.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Only Blazers won the trade

Bucks lost depth and defense which edged them over the Celtics. It’s the wrong trade for them too.

Jrue > Dame in terms of fit.

Suns downgrade at centre because Nurkic can’t stay fit and we’ve to waive players because our roster is already full.

Last edited:

SinNombre

How did Blazers win the trade?

Ayton is almost negative value at this point and no contender is going to give real assets for him. Jrue is still a regular season positive asset but strictly worse than Dame.

And Jrue will get traded immediately so fit didn’t matter. Pelicans or Bulls?

sport2793

Only Blazers won the trade

Bucks lost depth and defense which edged them over the Celtics. It’s the wrong trade for them too.

Jrue > Dame in terms of fit.

Suns downgrade at centre because Nurkic can’t stay fit and we’ve to waive players because our roster is already full.
Only 1 player needs to get cut from my count, probably Ish Wainright.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Think that the trade works for everyone, including Dame who goes to a straight contender and forms a scary duo with Giannis. Yeah, the Bucks will lose a lot on defence and Jrue was a massive part of that ring, but their offense staled for the last 2 seasons with opponents closing the paint and them forcing too much on Giannis. He will not have to come so much outside for the ball anymore and in Dame they now have a much needed closer (the way they fell apart against the Heat in the 4th quarters these playoffs was, well, pretty embarrassing).

The other two teams got pretty much what they wanted as well. Should be amazing season as again there are 6,7 genuine contenders (Nuggets, Suns, Warriors, Lakers, Bucks, Celtics..) with a lot of teams behind who will be competitive. As it should be. Which reminded me to say feck Kevin Durant again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wouldn't mind Jrue Holiday to the Wolves but it's unlikely.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I like this trade even more today. 2029 unprotected first when Giannis will be over 30 and maybe not at Bucks at all and Dame will be long gone could be tasty and chances are those swaps will also have a good chance of materializing in 2028 and especially 2030 as our young core may get good by then (both Scoot and Sharpe should be in their prime). I hope we can make some use of Ayton in the intermediate years and also that we can get good return back for Jrue. Cringe at all contenders fans that think we will buy him out and they will pick him up for free though, definitely not happening.

JPRouve

Scout
I like this trade even more today. 2029 unprotected first when Giannis will be over 30 and maybe not at Bucks at all and Dame will be long gone could be tasty and chances are those swaps will also have a good chance of materializing in 2028 and especially 2030 as our young core may get good by then (both Scoot and Sharpe should be in their prime). I hope we can make some use of Ayton in the intermediate years and also that we can get good return back for Jrue. Cringe at all contenders fans that think we will buy him out and they will pick him up for free though, definitely not happening.
Yeah, you are probably correct. My initial reaction ignored the likely trades of Holiday and even Ayton. Funnily enough Miami could do with both, imagine if you rinse them on those trades?

ZDwyr

@Sarni am I wrong to think Nurkic is incredibly washed? I keep seeing people say going from Ayton to Nurk is a 'slight downgrade' but to me it seems like a massive one for the Suns.

Sarni

@Sarni am I wrong to think Nurkic is incredibly washed? I keep seeing people say going from Ayton to Nurk is a 'slight downgrade' but to me it seems like a massive one for the Suns.
He hasn’t been good for a while. Had a great start to his Portland career but then alternated between injured and disappointing. I don’t know how good Ayton is currently but I don’t really buy into the idea of Nurkic, I think these days you can get a perfectly fine center that will do basic stuff like rebound, dunk and block occasional shot at a very moderate / minimum contract. There’s no need to pay $15m+ a year to an average center.

I was initially disappointed with losing Little but then realized he was here for 4 years and has hardly done anything. A decent rotation wing is probably his ceiling.

Last edited:

Sarni

Yeah, you are probably correct. My initial reaction ignored the likely trades of Holiday and even Ayton. Funnily enough Miami could do with both, imagine if you rinse them on those trades?
Miami would have no real use for Ayton as Adebayo is much better, and besides I’m fairly certain we will keep Ayton and aim to pair him with our new young backcourt. There will be plenty of demand for Holiday, I can see us getting engaged in a 3-team deal with Sixers and Clippers (who will acquire Harden) as it seems a fairly obvious move for all sides but then again literally every single time these top players are up for grabs it ends up with the most unexpected move. I don’t think Bucks had been seriously mentioned once in relation to Dame prior to yesterday. AD to Lakers is honestly the only trade that springs to mind that saw a top player go exactly where everyone had predicted him to go, and it still took like 8 months to complete the deal. Jrue will probably go to Indiana or Spurs now.

Woj seems to think we will get a young player on a rookie deal and multiple picks for Jrue which would make it a great trade overall and quite close to Mitchell return.

SinNombre

Woj seems to think we will get a young player on a rookie deal and multiple picks for Jrue which would make it a great trade overall and quite close to Mitchell return.
I don’t see this happen unless the multiple picks are late firsts.

Mitchell is a lot younger than Jrue

Sarni

I don’t see this happen unless the multiple picks are late firsts.

Mitchell is a lot younger than Jrue
I meant Lillard trade overall after Jrue is traded will have fetched similar return to Mitchell, as trading Jrue for the above package would bring it to Ayton, another young player and three first round picks.

All those picks will very likely be quite distant as they will be coming from contenders, so we’d probably be looking along the lines of Sixers 2029/30 and Clippers 2028 to 2030. Impossible to predict where these will land. I don’t think we are getting any picks before 2027 from this trade, and I don’t even want us to as I’d rather gamble on contenders demise. I think we might land on one pick plus one player as long as that player is someone established, like Mann.

Last edited:

R'hllor

Anyone saw those stories emerging how Dame wanted to take back his request if he couldnt go to Miami and GM told him hell nah, for me Dame didnt come out looking good at all in this whole mess.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Heat fans taking this well I see :lol:

reelworld

We’ve 17 players not including those on 2 way contracts. That’s a minimum of 2 players to cut.
just take a look at the roster list, yeah we definitely need to cut 2 players. Ish was mentioned alot but I'm not sure he will be the ones got cut.
Regarding the trade, the only thing I hate is that I have to cheer for Grayson fecking Allen. Everything else I don't really have an issue. Nurkic is a good fit with Book, KD and Beal as long as he stays healthy.

Sarni

Jrue to Celtics for Robert Williams, Brogdon, GSW 2024 1st round pick and 2029 Boston 1st round pick unprotected. We have got quite a haul for Dame in the end, and I bet we will find a team to give us a 2nd rounder for Brogdon now.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Jrue to Celtics for Robert Williams, Brogdon, GSW 2024 1st round pick and 2029 Boston 1st round pick unprotected. We have got quite a haul for Dame in the end, and I bet we will find a team to give us a 2nd rounder for Brogdon now.
Don’t see how Ayton and Williams can play together though.

Sarni

Don’t see how Ayton and Williams can play together though.
They mostly won’t, I think. They will rotate and maybe play some time together. Ayton may develop a shot, we won’t be trying to win so he will get plenty of time to work on that.

Also possible that we will be shopping Williams to a contender later in the year. I think Ayton is the one we will be trying to develop long term.

Last edited:

R'hllor

Uh salty Miami fans wont like that, claim how MIami offer was much better can finally die

Sarni

Uh salty Miami fans wont like that, claim how MIami offer was much better can finally die
Even the maximum haul they could have possibly offered (Herro, Jovic, Jaquez and three picks) wouldn’t have been close to the deal we got. They’d have needed to include Adebayo and it was never going to happen.

Honestly what we got from Boston for Jrue is probably better than what Miami were going to offer for Lillard. :lol:

R'hllor

Even the maximum haul they could have possibly offered (Herro, Jovic, Jaquez and three picks) wouldn’t have been close to the deal we got. They’d have needed to include Adebayo and it was never going to happen.

Honestly what we got from Boston for Jrue is probably better than what Miami were going to offer for Lillard. :lol:
Exactly, the level of delusion thinking that their offer without main guys had some value :lol:. Using fecking Herro as a main trade chip, Christ.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This guy gets himself ejected 5 mins into his very first preseason game :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Based on the FIBA World Cup, preseason and in the case NAW his performances since the trade. If KAT confirms that he is back at his best, do you sell high, move the now 6'11" McDaniels to PF and put NAW in the starting 5? Or do you pay the tax and keep the current 8-9 men rotation made of Edwards, Gobert, Conley, McDaniels, Towns, Reid, NAW, Milton and Anderson.

What would some of you do if you were a GM?

JPRouve

Scout
Holy feck. What is Wembanyama? :lol:

How do you stop that?

His 3-point was off, but everything else was just unreal. Generational talent.

The move at 4:25 is hilarious when you think about his size. You have actual elite guards that can't dribble like that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The move at 4:25 is hilarious when you think about his size. You have actual elite guards that can't dribble like that.
The bucket just before that one is the one I just laughed out loud, like the guy just chucked it up in the general area of the rim and Wemby did the rest :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
The bucket just before that one is the one I just laughed out loud, like the guy just chucked it up in the general area of the rim and Wemby did the rest :lol:
There is also the poster dunk from outside the restricted area.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Based on the FIBA World Cup, preseason and in the case NAW his performances since the trade. If KAT confirms that he is back at his best, do you sell high, move the now 6'11" McDaniels to PF and put NAW in the starting 5? Or do you pay the tax and keep the current 8-9 men rotation made of Edwards, Gobert, Conley, McDaniels, Towns, Reid, NAW, Milton and Anderson.

What would some of you do if you were a GM?
Would be very tempted to move KAT depending on the offer (or listen what is out there on the market) .

I presume they will run things the same way this season and then depending on success decide what is best moving forward. But the Wolves need to, not only get into playoffs, but finally move past the 1st round. Or in short, show they can pretty much be a contender. Anything else and they will break it out imo.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Name me a better duo than OKC and acquiring future draft capital:lol:

Good riddance though. I’m glad he’s no longer our problem.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Steph in mid season form. Eight 3 pointers including the game winner with 6 seconds left.

Just looked at the box score. Steph scored 13 points in the last 1.57 of the game. Needs to save stuff like that for the regular season.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'll be playing an nba fantasy league for the first time ever. Does anyone know good sites that follow injuries and probable lineups?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Just took a look at the opening few games for the Dubs. Kind of a brutal schedule. 7 of first 9 on the road including 2 back to backs and the 2 home games they do have are the Suns and the Kings.

Phew!

JPRouve

Scout
I started to worry but McDaniels signed his extension, 5 years 136M.