g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NBC - Possibly one of the best coverages of football?

Gazza

NBC has been fantastic for this ex pat. I can watch every single game on tv or online. Without exception. They hired their own commentators but did well, bringing aboard Arlo White, Le Saux, Dixon amongst others.

The analysis panel is ok, with Mustoe and Earle; but is definitely a weak point.

Given how dreadful it's been out here to watch football for the last 15 years, NBC is a revelation.
Can't agree with this part. NBC coverage is slick and professional, but in terms of watching football living in the US has been good to me since I moved here in 2001. True, the presenters and graphics on Fox Sports World (or Fox Soccer Channel as it became) were awful (although I still like Max Bretos for some reason), but there were always at least 5 full PL matches on during the weekend, and they also had other leagues like Dutch, French and Argentinian (when football was my life back then, that was a good thing!). I'd give FSC credit for providing so much football at a time when it was much more niche.

The only thing that sucked about those days was ESPN's CL coverage. Tommy Smyth. The pre game show started about 5 minutes before kick off and the coverage ended almost right after the final whistle so they could get on with showing children's spelling bees.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Can't agree with this part. NBC coverage is slick and professional, but in terms of watching football living in the US has been good to me since I moved here in 2001. True, the presenters and graphics on Fox Sports World (or Fox Soccer Channel as it became) were awful (although I still like Max Bretos for some reason), but there were always at least 5 full PL matches on during the weekend, and they also had other leagues like Dutch, French and Argentinian (when football was my life back then, that was a good thing!). I'd give FSC credit for providing so much football at a time when it was much more niche.

The only thing that sucked about those days was ESPN's CL coverage. Tommy Smyth. The pre game show started about 5 minutes before kick off and the coverage ended almost right after the final whistle so they could get on with showing children's spelling bees.
FSC was ok when they picked up the English feeds, as was the CL coverage. I've been over here since 2003, and since NBC picked it up, it has been a completely different ball game. 5 times as many games, and just much, much better all round. I'm not saying you couldn't get the games over here, before. The content was there. But the coverage was pretty poor, and when they went with US commentators, it was unholy.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I dont get why America needs to have so many drug ads though.

But they good coverage when i watch them online
When I was in the States earlier this year, I was amazed at how many of these there were. And advertisements on class lawsuit cases where they ask "have you used xxx product lately? Then you might be able to win some money! Call now."

GTA V really got the American (LA to be specific) culture spot on. :lol:

Gazza

FSC was ok when they picked up the English feeds, as was the CL coverage. I've been over here since 2003, and since NBC picked it up, it has been a completely different ball game. 5 times as many games, and just much, much better all round. I'm not saying you couldn't get the games over here, before. The content was there. But the coverage was pretty poor, and when they went with US commentators, it was unholy.
I get what you mean but I still need to stand up for FSC here!

They never used American commentators for EPL games - they used the TWI feed that many international broadcasters still use today.

In terms of number of games there was little difference except that the concept of on demand or watching games on the internet apps didn't exist back then. On a given Saturday, FSC would start with the early lunchtime game live, a live 3pm game, and the 5.15 kick off live, and then they would show other tape delayed games after that. Really, I just think it's harsh to say it was "dreadful" watching football here before NBC, it was in fact more like heaven for me after I moved from the UK! :)

namco

Just search for NBC sports accounts on reddit. (Or Google)They basically just give you a login and password.
I can't find anyone offering accounts on reddit. Please post a link to a thread where they are on offer.

Omar Little

I can't find anyone offering accounts on reddit. Please post a link to a thread where they are on offer.
Actually, the guy I bought mine off doesn't seem to be selling NBCSN anymore, on reddit. I have another source though. I'll PM you.

PieCrust

BeIN shows some, not all, of the league cup matches. Prolly will now since we're down to the semi-finals.
I think you're right about BeIN and the league cup. I know they have some loophole with the US national team TV deal for example where they can show the away matches but not the home matches. It's kind of weird, since nobody in American even really knows what BeIN is and you have to pay extra to get packaged if you do want it, even outside of the normal pay extra sports packages. Not worth it imo.

Fox sports I believe shows the FA cup matches though, so those are more accessible. If you can handle listening to Alexi Lalas. Best you can hope for is that he's just on the pre-game and not actually calling the match itself.

Fox used to also show La Liga games too, which was great. I think the only way to get La Liga now is one of the foreign Spanish speaking channels and honestly I haven't look too hard for it since I only really wanted to watch it for Ronaldo and Messi, not La Liga in general.

Basa1987

NBC's coverage is really top notch. My only gripe is that you can't legally purchase standalone access to NBC Live Extra (unlike FoxGo). I hate the fact that I have to pay nearly $150 for the 4 to 5 games that I actually watch (I don't really watch anything else on live tv).

Cantonagotmehere

I never miss a United game because of NBC, it really is great. Wait until you see how much the next deal for the Premier League goes for if you don't think Americans care about their football. It will be a huge amount more than the last.

My only gripe is the team of Arlo (cannot remember his last name) and Le Saux. They are dreadful to me. Always hyping up controversy and negative tripe. I enjoy every single other announcing team in any sport besides those two. Le Saux seems very ABU to me.

PS - I see a lot of league cup games on BeIn. I am sure there rest of the League Cup will be on there.

PPs - I get NBC live on my phone and computer for 'free', but I guess its because I subscribe to Comcast for my cable?

PieCrust

PPs - I get NBC live on my phone and computer for 'free', but I guess its because I subscribe to Comcast for my cable?
You get access to their streaming and online services if NBCSN is included in your cable package. So it's not really "free", just part of what you already have to pay for. You can't just separately purchase the NBCSN online portion (legally anyway) like you could with Fox Go or whatever it's called now. Probably the only real complaint anyone could have about the current coverage options.

Cantonagotmehere

You get access to their streaming and online services if NBCSN is included in your cable package. So it's not really "free", just part of what you already have to pay for. You can't just separately purchase the NBCSN online portion (legally anyway) like you could with Fox Go or whatever it's called now. Probably the only real complaint anyone could have about the current coverage options.
Got it.

bleedred

Commentator in Utd game blatantly saying that Refs favour us at old trafford. He said something along the lines of unless you are two yards offside, you are not flagged... of sorts..

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I've got Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) as my cable provider and just got a scrolling message saying that Spectrum might be losing NBCSN and to call some number. :mad:

Traub

Commentator in Utd game blatantly saying that Refs favour us at old trafford. He said something along the lines of unless you are two yards offside, you are not flagged... of sorts..
I think it's the international feed as the commentator on mine said the same. I think he said something like in the past a United player would have to be two yards offside before it was given.

DavidDeSchmikes

Wonder what he thought after Ibra's disallowed goal?

klayton88

Great coverage again. Will actually look for this stream even with our games being on BT/Sky to avoid Owen/Savage.

Sylar

Even they were making fun of the referee display. Not sure who the co-commentator was, but he was decent.

Baxter

Even they were making fun of the referee display. Not sure who the co-commentator was, but he was decent.
Funny part of it was at the start when Pogba was offside for the overhead, the commentator made a comment like 'it has to be two yards off at OT for the linesman to put his flag up". :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He did but he definitely balanced it by admitting we had been robbed in this game already and it was the narrative of the season for us so far.

Sylar

The 2 yard offside comment was tongue in cheek though. Seemed like it.

When they were actually discussing the match, they were fair.

welshmanc75

Would a fountain of knowledge care to PM the best way to get this ie. Sites etc. Santa was good enough to bring me a Fire Stick with Kodi but wouldnt mind shelling out for proper coverage as opposed the crappy Bein stream

EvilEuro

Because it hasn't been mentioned yet, and because everyone keeps saying that some of the NBCSN announcers are biased etc., NBCSN has only ONE announce crew. If you hear Arlo White and either Lesoux, Dixon, or Neville, that's the actual NBCSN crew. They will sometimes have another person who is not Arlo White if Arlo is doing another assignment such as the Olympics.

But if you hear Jon Champion, Martin Tyler, or any other announcing crew, that is the same as Fox used to do on Fox Soccer Channel -- it's the TWI feed which NBC picks up.

In an ideal world there would be a mix of NBCSN's quality of presentation in their pre and post match shows and Fox Soccer Channel's showing of every match in full on the day it is played. But NBCSN has other sports to cover so they can't do this. So much so that NBCSN is almost to the point of needing another channel just to complete their coverage and not avoiding having to run away so quickly for NHL hockey, college football, NASCAR, or Formula 1.

Still can't complain too much. We see more football here in the States than folks in the UK and one can indeed have discussions without all of the tribalism.

Reactions: Grinner

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
In an ideal world there would be a mix of NBCSN's quality of presentation in their pre and post match shows and Fox Soccer Channel's showing of every match in full on the day it is played.
Think you're confusing the two, NBCSN does show every PL match live. Or at least it does on Time Warner Spectrum. Fox Soccer showed most games, but not all.

ice-bionic red

Wish I could watch every game on there without it being a crappy, buffering stream. Had it one time perfect and it was great..

Any idea how to get it? Maybe by subscribing to something online?? Living in the uk though :(

EvilEuro

Think you're confusing the two, NBCSN does show every PL match live. Or at least it does on Time Warner Spectrum. Fox Soccer showed most games, but not all.
Yes and no. I'm fully aware that every match is available on NBCSN via their Extra Time channels or online. But NBCSN isn't going to show Stoke v. Everton on delay on NBCSN proper on delay. FSC used to show every match on the main channel, either live or via tape delay. If FSC wasn't eventually showing every match, it sure felt like it. That's more of what I was getting at.

Plus, I have Dish Network and I always forget about the Extra Time channels because for some reason Dish only provides the Extra Time channels in standard definition. Seriously, who does that in 2017? Dish Network is your answer.

Now, none of that really matters to me as a United fan because 99% of the time United are shown live on NBCSN and, like everyone else, I'm beyond grateful for the quality and extent of their coverage. That's really being driven home this weekend as Fox continues to provide the most bland of FA Cup coverage.

Reactions: Akshay

PieCrust

Got tired of listening to Lalas shout down Friedel in the studio about how great Lalas thinks MLS is and attempted to imply to that because of its parity, it's better than the prem, which is just absurd. Also implying that top world managers like Mourinho wouldn't cut in MLS because of it. I was at a loss for words really hearing this shite.

In another section, Friedel said that MLS should move away from signing over the hill designated players if MLS wants to continue progressing as a league and Lalas wouldn't even let him finish his opinion before jumping about how wrong he was. I just don't understand how a guy like Lalas has the arrogance to talk that way, especially to a guy like Friedel, who at least as a professional footballer, completely f'ing blows Lalas out of the water.

Lalas has a brief spell in Italy after he got some exposure at the '94 World Cup in the states, but sucked enough that he spent the rest of his career stateside. Which is all fine, that was his level. But his attitude is like he was some American trail blazer in Europe or some bullshit. He ended up with almost 100 caps because the US was (is) fecking terrible at the international level and had no other options.

pseudo_canadian

I never miss a United game because of NBC, it really is great. Wait until you see how much the next deal for the Premier League goes for if you don't think Americans care about their football. It will be a huge amount more than the last.

My only gripe is the team of Arlo (cannot remember his last name) and Le Saux. They are dreadful to me. Always hyping up controversy and negative tripe. I enjoy every single other announcing team in any sport besides those two. Le Saux seems very ABU to me.

PS - I see a lot of league cup games on BeIn. I am sure there rest of the League Cup will be on there.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who really dislikes those two. White is a drama whore and Le Sauz always finds something to moan about - especially concerning United.

Other than that, NBC has been great.

pseudo_canadian

Got tired of listening to Lalas shout down Friedel in the studio about how great Lalas thinks MLS is and attempted to imply to that because of its parity, it's better than the prem, which is just absurd. Also implying that top world managers like Mourinho wouldn't cut in MLS because of it. I was at a loss for words really hearing this shite.

In another section, Friedel said that MLS should move away from signing over the hill designated players if MLS wants to continue progressing as a league and Lalas wouldn't even let him finish his opinion before jumping about how wrong he was. I just don't understand how a guy like Lalas has the arrogance to talk that way, especially to a guy like Friedel, who at least as a professional footballer, completely f'ing blows Lalas out of the water.

Lalas has a brief spell in Italy after he got some exposure at the '94 World Cup in the states, but sucked enough that he spent the rest of his career stateside. Which is all fine, that was his level. But his attitude is like he was some American trail blazer in Europe or some bullshit. He ended up with almost 100 caps because the US was (is) fecking terrible at the international level and had no other options.
Lalas is a certified douchebag, has been forever.

I just mute the TV whenever he starts talking/shit starts pouring out of his mouth.

Guy is a huge asshole with ridiculous and idiotic opinions on football.

Gazza

Problem with Arlo White is that he just talks talks talks through the game and never shuts up long enough to let the game breathe. The best commentators don't try to fill every second with chatter.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Every man dreams of a head of hair like Kyle Martino's. Damn those luscious locks.

surf

Problem with Arlo White is that he just talks talks talks through the game and never shuts up long enough to let the game breathe. The best commentators don't try to fill every second with chatter.
That's true and he isn't talking about what's happening on the field either, it's more like current events in football as if we only follow the game for 90 minutes a week.

On Lalas vs Friedel, Brad is a perceptive and articulate critic who commands respect and Lalas comes across as an old jock who had too many head traumas in his playing days.

Cantonagotmehere

Very, very true. He really hurts the whole vibe of the game.