Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womp

idiot
What the feck is our luck with missing one of our best midfielders when we need them most? Losing Pogba against Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool now losing Matic against Arsenal and City potentially. FFS.

reddaz71

Matic has been played to death but without Carrick he has had a heavy workload,hopefully his injury though is nothing major,we have done very impressively to hang onto Citys coat tails given our substantial injury problems tbf,the blue side have hardly had any in comparison,lets see what transpires 2nd half of the season if the roles are reversed!!

RuudTom83

Jose should rotate the squad more, Martial and Rashford rarely play back to back 90 mins, and he reaps the rewards from having one of them fresh to call upon.

Herrera is playing poorly but that could be explained by being in the cold all season with only the odd appearance now and then.

Matic has played every minute in the league and an injury was always going to happen...sadly this injury timing couldn’t be worse. FFS Jose!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think we can just about survive without him vs Arsenal, but he simply must has to play vs City for us to have any chance.

DickDastardly

Any news?

Overheard something about a muscle damage.

He makes us tick and brings huge amounts of calm to the whole team. I fear for us if he's gonna be out for a longer period.

IAmAWinner

FFS if Matic is out, imo our most important player, we don't have anyone in the squad who could do a job like he does. I'm praying he's fine.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Looks like a case of a well functioning engine which has been working fine, rests for a while, is kept in the garage for international duty, and then starts malfunctioning.

wr8_utd

:'(
Looks unfit and yet been brilliant in a couple of crucial moments. Need to rest him midweek for sure.

kundalini

Mixed performance. Some good defending but also terrible clearing headers that simply invited more danger and got caught out of position too often, especially in the first half.

el3mel

First half he was great. Overall a solid performance imo, not his best but better than the last 2 games.

Devil may care

To play that well after coming off with a muscle issue the other night is a huge credit to him, his calmness was a big help today.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Sturdy, is the word I'd use. No highlight moment but he calms things down when it's looking frantic - exactly what we needed tonight - stellar performance

wc18

Wasn't overly excited with his signing but i am a big fan now.
Such a fantastic player.

Backrow Singer

Surprised this hasn't had more responses today if I'm honest.

He's massive for us and a fantastic player. As good as Pogba is with the ball, he leaves Matic consistently isolated but he finds a way to deal with it every time. His positioning, the way he tracks, his body angles, he's a great footballer. As said above, he's our rock who holds everything together. He makes other players look better.

Needs a big, big game next week.

Trizy

Surprised this hasn't had more responses today if I'm honest.

He's massive for us and a fantastic player. As good as Pogba is with the ball, he leaves Matic consistently isolated but he finds a way to deal with it every time. His positioning, the way he tracks, his body angles, he's a great footballer. As said above, he's our rock.

Needs a big, big game next week.
Agreed. I think alot of fans who don't watch him week in week out (like United fans in his Chelsea days) think of him as a Kante type terrier who wins the ball back from midfield. In fact, he's much more than that. He's also clever on the ball, brilliant passer, calm, strong.. he's the perfect CDM basically.

As for the bolded part, it's gonna be a massive ask with Pogba in that midfield.

Backrow Singer

Agreed. I think alot of fans who don't watch him week in week out (like United fans in his Chelsea days) think of him as a Kante type terrier who wins the ball back from midfield. In fact, he's much more than that. He's also clever on the ball, brilliant passer, calm, strong.. he's the perfect CDM basically.

As for the bolded part, it's gonna be a massive ask with Pogba in that midfield.
I just think it's his positioning. When we've got five/six players around the box and we lose the ball, straight away he's in position and within three seconds he's blocked the two main passing threats off and knows exactly where the third is. Great awareness of space.

Definitely will be and I think he's going to have a tough one. They've got so many quality players who slip into those areas in and around him, that's where I believe their main threat is. Whoever plays in there with him needs to support him and hold their position. Today was very carefree at times but next week there needs to be that thought of "I've got a job to do if we lose the ball here".

Verbalkint

Matic was unbelievable vs Arsenal. Pretty sure he wasn't 100% fit, but man did he put in some effort or what. Some of his clearances were dodgy and just went up straight in the air but he put in 7 vital interceptions. Immense contribution from the Serbian and one of the game's unsung heroes (Ashley Young deserves a mention too).

Jose will rest him , no doubt about that. Would mind that big lump Fellaini vs CSKA.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Matic was unbelievable vs Arsenal. Pretty sure he wasn't 100% fit, but man did he put in some effort or what. Some of his clearances were dodgy and just went up straight in the air but he put in 7 vital interceptions. Immense contribution from the Serbian and one of the game's unsung heroes (Ashley Young deserves a mention too).

Jose will rest him , no doubt about that. Would mind that big lump Fellaini vs CSKA.
Yeah, he was under pressure several times but his composure on the ball was superb. His defensive game is top notch as always but composure when pressed is impressive and only behind Pogba and Martial.

Verbalkint

Yeah, he was under pressure several times but his composure on the ball was superb. His defensive game is top notch as always but composure when pressed is impressive and only behind Pogba and Martial.
Yup, his positioning and anticipation seems to be spot in doesn't it? It's probably why he was in those pressure cooker situations on multiple occasions. Such a brilliant player to watch - does his work efficiently, he's a good clean player and very non controversial. Thorough professional and one many look up to, surely.

AmanNits04

There was one moment in a match for our 3rd goal, Matic had the ball outside our box and he was sorrounded by 3 Arsenal Players, at that he had the calmness to look ahead and spot Lukaku who was coming short who then went on the flick it to Lingard and we started the counter. For me that pass was simple but he had the calmness to spot it. He never looks fazed or under pressure to be honest. Definitely the signing of the summer for us.

ants7

Wasn't overly excited with his signing but i am a big fan now.
Such a fantastic player.
Same. I was less enthusiastic about this signing and wanted probably some big name but he has turned out to be a vital signing for us. In addition to being a sturdy DM, he also seems like a player with a brilliant mindset as well. One of these players who you might not notice at first but if you leave him out of the team, you'll find yourself missing him badly. Our silent guardian.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Rest him against CSKA. We need him to put in a big performance against City.
With Pogba’s ban, I think Matic will definitely sit out this midweek game after already being considered doubtful for the Arsenal game.

He’s having a tremendous season so far. Dropped off a bit a couple of weeks ago, but no midfielder is going to sail through every game with a solid 7/8 out of 10 having played pretty much every minute since joining.

I know people have a hard on for long term players on here, but the way he plays, he’s got at least 5 years to offer. Whilst being different to Carrick, he’s certainly proving to be a top class replacement.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Had some amazing tackles, and his ability on the ball was crucial at times. But he's still not enough, everybody thought Pogba and Matic would transform us into the best midfield in England but I fear we'd get dominated similarly against Liverpool/City.

Luciano Venturini

Our best signing in recent times in my opinion. Gives so much stability and balance to our team. I have to admit I was 100% convinced when we signed him but it only took me a few games to realize my mistake in judgement. Definitely needs a rest on Tuesday as he will be so so important come Sunday.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Had some amazing tackles, and his ability on the ball was crucial at times. But he's still not enough, everybody thought Pogba and Matic would transform us into the best midfield in England but I fear we'd get dominated similarly against Liverpool/City.
It's not the midfield combination that dominates the game, it's coach and how he sets up the team. Give Pep Delph and Cleverley, he will still play dominating game against any team in England, that's how he sets up his team.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was all for this signing years ago glad it’s working out. Hopefully get a midfielder to really compliment Pogba and Matic someone with quality like Ozil (floating between midfield and attacking) but coming deep in possession or alternatively a runner like Del Alli who could boost our midfield engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.