Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Send him to Dubai for a week.

Canagel

We need cover for Matic in January. I'm sorry but asking him to play 50 odd games is going to end badly. Remember Zlatan getting injured last season? That was a consequence of all the minutes he played without rest. I'm worried Matic will completely burnout by the time we reach the business end of the season and breakdown from injury.

IAmAWinner

Looks dead. Fortunately, he will now get a bit of rest till Stoke. Hasn't helped him that Carrick and Fellaini have been out most of the season.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's a shame that Carrick hasn't been able to play, as he could have filled in for Matic 4 or 5 times this season and replaced him from the bench when games were won.

The man looks 100% gassed after about half an hour at the moment.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's been poor for a good while now and he's been getting off very softly. Hell, I think 3% of people voted him MOTM last game! Would like to see him given a rest. Even if that makes he's only playing half games for a bit.

Devil may care

He looks worn down, I'm pretty sure at Chelsea even in his best season he tailed off stamina-wise over the season, he needs a player to rotate with.

Andersons Dietician

He has become a bit sloppy recently, with kinda silly passes and losing possession. Probably does need a rest just to recharge his batteries.

AshRK

now he can take proper rest. I would even suggest why don't Jose send him on holidays for 4 or 5 days considering our next PL game is on the 15th.

Man Utd 3:0 Stoke

Vilev

That Ireland chance... Time and time again Matic simply stops following his player into the box. I mean you are a DM, that is his main job. To cover the second line runners in the box.
And that's been happening a lot lately as well.

Fracture90

That Ireland chance... Time and time again Matic simply stops following his player into the box. I mean you are a DM, that is his main job. To cover the second line runners in the box.
And that's been happening a lot lately as well.
I think that part of the pitch is Pogba's responsibility now.

Zoo

It’s clearly tactical. Mourinho just needs to instruct him to sit.

Devil may care

He's got a very hard job as at times tonight we were pratically playing with a front 5, so when they broke Pogba was miles away leaving him with the ball carrier and the runner to worry about, I don't think it's sustainable.

R'hllor

Either play 4-3-3 properly or just buy new different type of DM, this aint funny to watch when we defend, i am all for free Pogba but then get another midfielder to make a balance, Lingard and Pogba in front of him, there is no much discipline there. There were situations tonight like it was 4-1--------5.

kundalini

For an experienced professional, some of the choices he has made this season have been bewildering. What on earth was he doing in the first half ? Spotting danger and tracking runners from midfield is his job. It's bad enough when Pogba can't be bothered but from Matic it's ridiculous.

diarm

Sylar

For bigger games we need to play 433 (drop Mata of course). Think that will suit Matic.
For games like this at OT, he will be pretty much left in a 1 vs 2 situation which makes it difficult for him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Few bad decisions but not helped by how we were set up. Think we can afford to play like this at home against the poorer sides but no way against any half decent sides away.

cyberman

How can he be tired? He's just after 2 weeks off with a trip to Dubai thrown in!

ash_86

He's been okayish past couple of games. His passing was very sloppy

criticalanalysis

http://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-matic-running-on-empty-to-provide-stage-for-pogba

Not a bad article this. I'm not so sure he's looking as jaded as the author thinks (reckon it's more just tactical conservatism with Pogba, Lingard, Mata etc attacking with more freedom) but he can't keep going forever and he doesn't half get through a shift of work each game. We sorely need someone to share some of the less glamorous load with him.
Decent article. Been saying it since the first (yes) couple of games. Matic with Pogba in a two is not sustainable or for the good of the team in the long term i.e shoe horning a third midfielder in there doesn't off set the fatique and lack of playing time in that set up.

Mr Smith

Either play 4-3-3 properly or just buy new different type of DM, this aint funny to watch when we defend, i am all for free Pogba but then get another midfielder to make a balance, Lingard and Pogba in front of him, there is no much discipline there. There were situations tonight like it was 4-1--------5.
I'm fairly certain we will in the summer.

Suedesi

Star player, still confused why Chelsea let him leave this summer. Super intelligent in his positional play, closing down spaces and releasing the ball. Provided impetus going fwd with his intelligent use of the ball.

United’s best midfielder today

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His passing wasn't good, his long passes were more miss than hit (looked like that) and he let Ireland run to the box unchallenged couple of times. His short passing was crisp though, like few said he was playing alone in midfield when they counter attacked.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Matic is not looking quite as imposing as he did at the start of the season, and his choice of pass and decision making have not been very good since the start of December.

I can only attribute it to Matic playing injured through that period and his body being overworked. It was risky starting him in a two man midfield because, right now, he does not look like he can do all that covering himself.

As Jose said in his post-game interview, we looked more secure when we switched to 4-3-3 for the second half. Right now Matic needs that extra body in and around him. We should play that way against Burnley, to help him, then rest him against Yeovil.

Marcelinho87

Thought he played well personally. Cut untold passes out in the middle of the park and played sensible passes out from the back when needed.

Trizy

Big Matic fan and think he's been our most important player pre-Christmas but he's been off the boil the past couple of games. Thought he was poor yesterday.

Can't be tired. They just had over a week off in Dubai! Hopefully just a small dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.