Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Im going to say it, I really don't see why so many have an issue with him. People say he dawdles on the ball but I say he's composed. He's also not afraid to create angles to pass into unlike a lot of others who only pass left, right or straight in front or behind

I do wish he'd sit in front of the back 4 more though and stop playing so high up

Alabaster Codify7

I'm actually starting to actively dislike him. He's a spent force and seemingly undroppable, he contributes absolutely nothing at present. Liability. We needed to upgrade him this summer, his dropoff was evident last season but we completely ignored it.

thegaffa

Supports
Chelsea
Think today the criticism is over the top, he was fine.
The concern is about when United face the likes of Europe’s top teams where the speed of play is fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He wasn't particularly bad but my issue is i'm not sure what his role is. He doesn't seem to protect the back 4 very well (like Fellaini came in and did well for a few games), nor is he a deep lying playmaker or a box to box.

I'd be interested to see a Herrera, Fred and Pogba midfield 3 to give us more energy.

Robbie Boy

How surprising: A player that’s been shite for months now was once again shite today.

Canagel

Time to bring Herrera or Periera in the team. Or even Fellaini. Anyone is better than matic.

R'hllor

Wont add to anything i said before, just amazed how people act like they dont understand whats the issue, why there are critics about his current form or call it w.e.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Last season he had it all. This season he has a quarter of what he did last season. Needs to be dropped with Lukaku

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Im going to say it, I really don't see why so many have an issue with him. People say he dawdles on the ball but I say he's composed. He's also not afraid to create angles to pass into unlike a lot of others who only pass left, right or straight in front or behind

I do wish he'd sit in front of the back 4 more though and stop playing so high up
On the face of it he looks "OK" because he doesn't really do much, and that's precisely the problem.

Defensively though his positioning and awareness is awful. So many times when the opposition have the ball in our half he ball watches. I lost count the amount of times Sigurdsson ran off the back of him and he didn't even notice/follow.

Juve spotted him as a weak link, and i'd say Everton did the same. All the attacking work came down the left channel.

His build up play from defense is also just not good enough, he doesn't command the ball and when he does receive it he's happy to play square 5 yard balls.

If he does try to advance up the pitch he thinks he's Pogba and tries to hold them off as they press, but he doesn't have the quick feet not the acceleration to get away.

I just don't see what he does for us that nobody else can. I'd much rather have Herrera in the team, in his small cameo he won the ball back more times than Matic seemed to in the whole match.

JK-27

He was terrible today, he really was. I didn't seem he make any tackles, he seemed to just be protecting space but the Everton players just played around him with ease. As per usual his passing consisted of 5 yard passes to the side or back. There was even a moment in the second half where Pogba has players closing in on him so he layed it off to Matic and Matic immediately played it back to him. Pogba again layed it off to Matic because players were closing in on him, and Matic passed it straight back to him again. It was as if Matic was scared of the ball.

Pereria showed some good touches in his limited minutes earlier in the season and definitely would be a better option than Matic right now, particularly in home games.

Web of Bissaka

Defensively he's getting found out - more and more players passes through him easily now.

Attacking performance this time is not bad - he's composed as usual and accurately, even in tight angle, deliver the ball to our other attacking players feet who'll then do the rest. Not bad. Fred's energy in the centre helps him a lot.

Time to rest him? he's not getting back to his usual best by playing every game. Use him periodically Mou.

Rajma

Posted the below in Fred thread:

His kind of composure is meaningless because all it does is slows down our play and allows opposition to regroup. Don’t mistaken needless amount of touches for composure as this basically says he is not aware of the surroundings and needs several touches to evaluate the situation he’s in (he knows he can shield the ball alright to give himself time for this) but this is no use for us at all as it makes us very pedestrian and predictable.

Devil may care

His kind of composure is meaningless because all it does is slows down our play and allows opposition to regroup. Don’t mistaken needless amount of touches for composure as this basically says he is not aware of the surroundings and needs several touches to evaluate the situation he’s in (he knows he can shield the ball alright to give himself time for this) but this is no use for us at all as it makes us very pedestrian and predictable.
Exactly, he's too ponderous on the ball, often because if he doesn't win it facing forwards it takes him a few seconds to work his way into a forward facing position and by that time the other team has regained their shape.

Agreed @charlenefan. There's just an awful "feel" around our fans these days, they can't wait to slag a player off. Matic had a good game yesterday and we won, yet almost everyone wanting to big up Herrera's cameo (which was great) couldn't help themselves but hurl shit at Matic.

Posting it in two threads doesn't make it any less wrong.

Fosu-Mens

Last season he had it all. This season he has a quarter of what he did last season. Needs to be dropped with Lukaku
We asked for Lukaku to be dropped --> He was dropped
We ask for Matic to be dropped --> If Matic is dropped, then JM is on the caf.

But in all seriousness; Last season Matic seldom went forward as much as he does now. His strength as a CDM is not in bringing the ball forward or contribute in attack. I think part of the reason why he is perceived as not performing is due to this. If/when he is ordered to sit back and "balance" the midfield, then he will perform better.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Posting it in two threads doesn't make it any less wrong.
Your opinion, but me and many others don't feel he is doing a good enough job.

For a purely defensive midfielder he rarely breaks attacks down, he fails to track runners and often gets caught the wrong side of the number 10 due to poor positioning.

I've noticed that he rarely looks around, he ball watches often so people sneak behind him and by the time he realises it's too late.

At the moment he's not building attacks, not being an offensive threat and he's doing a poor job defensively. So why is he in the team?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Matic is badly off form at the moment and I'd really like to see if starting Herrera in his place would make a massive difference.

I remember in 2016/17 Herrera had monstrous interception stats. Why could he not regain that form if given a run by Moruinho? Matic is not doing enough to warrant starting week-in week-out.

Ace of Spades

The biggest problem with him right now is that he is not doing the defensive part well at all. The rest of his problems could be tolerated, if he was actually doing his main job. He is supppsed to protect the defense, and he just does not do it all that well. I think Periera has actually done better in that position in the few games than him, even though Matic is supppsed to be the experienced one.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Your opinion, but me and many others don't feel he is doing a good enough job.

For a purely defensive midfielder he rarely breaks attacks down, he fails to track runners and often gets caught the wrong side of the number 10 due to poor positioning.

I've noticed that he rarely looks around, he ball watches often so people sneak behind him and by the time he realises it's too late.

At the moment he's not building attacks, not being an offensive threat and he's doing a poor job defensively. So why is he in the team?
He doesn't play as a DM though (and arguably never has in his 1 and a bit years here). He never sits centrally in front of the two CB's, he's always next to Shaw in the LB area

Ashley R1+O

In horrendous form but the midfield combinations just don't work. He needs to play anchor or nothing at all, with Pogba you'll never be able to have Matic's toolkit and play as a versatile player running back to goal with Pogba not helping out at all ever. Just one of those things.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Matic is badly off form at the moment and I'd really like to see if starting Herrera in his place would make a massive difference.

I remember in 2016/17 Herrera had monstrous interception stats. Why could he not regain that form if given a run by Moruinho? Matic is not doing enough to warrant starting week-in week-out.
Jose's already dropped Lukaku and Sanchez.

Maybe it's time for Herrera to be playing instead of Matic.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The issue is 2 fold with him

1) He's bypassed way to easily in midfield. He just doesn't have the agility to mark quick players. Juve targeted him by dropping Dybala into the spaces he occupied. Many of Everton's best attacks were a result of Matic not being able to track runners (same with Juve).
2) Playing him with Pogba or Fellaini hinders the effectiveness of a press. Matic tries to press but he is just so lumbering and doesn't cover enough ground. If he's pulled out of position, it almost always lead to an opposition attack, b/c neither Fellaini or Pogba have the agility or pace to cover and he his recovery speed is non-existent.

As an aside, if Chelsea decide to replace Kante with a more technical midfielder, United should move heaven and earth to get him. IMO he's missing link this team needs and the antithesis of what Matic brings. They probably won't dare risk selling Kante to a top 6 side so this is moot.

Ekeke

How about not successfully making a single tackle or interception all game? He definitely slows us down and takes more touches than are needed. If thats considered composure I guess Lukaku is considered the most composed striker in the league.

keener

I think this position is the most under appreciated by the common fan. It's sometimes hard to see the little things that elite holding midfielders do that make them so great. That said, Matic is serviceable.

I've said for over a month now that I'd like to have Herrera or Pereira get a run of 4 or 5 games in that role as they're quicker and may be able to allow us to push up the field more to attack. For me, it's less that he's failing and more that he's just not the player I want to see in this pivotal role. I want more athleticism. I hate it when we started Matic, Pogba and Fellaini as they're all 3 big strong players but the quick passing, vision, aggressive winning the ball with quickness and speed isn't their game.

Give Herrera a month. Every time that lad gets a run in the team, he ends up being player of the month.

RikRuud

Needs a rest. Whether that would bring him back to the form of his early Utd career remains to be seen.

0le

He wasn't as great as people make out last season and he is continuing to regress this season. We should sell him at the end of the season. For now at least, we should play Pereira or Herrera in there.

Robbie Boy

He wasn't as great as people make out last season and he is continuing to regress this season. We should sell him at the end of the season. For now at least, we should play Pereira or Herrera in there.
Had a great start with us and then faded badly. People have short memories if they think he had a great season.

Canagel

Needs a rest. Whether that would bring him back to the form of his early Utd career remains to be seen.
He's needed a rest for over a year now. Why its only matic that gets this excuse I have no idea. The WC and then being thrown straight into team after the surgery has finished him off. He looks done.

keener

The thing we lack with Matic is that defensive intensity that you get when you watch Herrera or Pereira buzzing around, pressing, attempting to cut passing lanes etc.

RedorDead21

We need to see some stats. Let me see interceptions and pass completion, forward passes and tackles please before I, the oracle will decide. Go forth and bring me stats in a pretty table my minions

RikRuud

He's needed a rest for over a year now. Why its only matic that gets this excuse I have no idea. The WC and then being thrown straight into team after the surgery has finished him off. He looks done.
Yes he was thrown back into the team way too early after his surgery. It was the worst pre season I can remember as a UTD fan. He's regressed very quickly and is looking like a player in his late 30's.

Water Melon

We have Pereira and Herrera who would do better than current Matic. Who knows, maybe if a new manager comes in he might spend money on players in other positions.

Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was still awful, but he was better in the 2nd half than any other game this season. Some good interceptions, and didn't look like he was picking a pass in slow motion.

1st half might be the worst he's been in a United shirt though.

Eugenius

Takes three touches of the ball. Second is always taking him into danger so his third touch is a pass backwards or that invites pressure on the team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not playing well enough to keep starting.

Ekeke

Its starting to remind me of back when Keane's legs had gone and we were adjusting the team around accomodating him, making sure the right players were there to make up for his deficiencies. Of course Keane's famous rant got himself kicked out of the club so we didn't carry on playing him when he wasnt good enough.

I dont see Matic being kicked out for comments off the field. So we might have to endure this for a longer period.

I really, honestly, couldnt tell you what Matic's function is in the team. Fred had more touches, played more passes, and won 5 tackles to Matic's 1 in the first half, with both making 1 interception each.

At the end of the full 90 mins Matic had made 2 tackles, 1 interception all game. Fred's first half 5 and 1 was still far more than Matic's entire game.

So he's not in the side to win the ball I guess. So what does he do? Lots of sideways passes that didnt amount to anything. He's just a passenger in our midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.