Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I see him put in half hearted challenges and opponents going past him all the time
You see a lack of commitment? As the most staunch defender of Smalling on the Caf, I'm surprised you don't think (this season) that he's hit and miss, like Smalling (every season) but that there isn't a problem with his attitude.

Smores

He's been terribly mismanaged this season in truth. He should have been given a greater rest and rotated in and out. He's not looked fit enough for me.

I also don't think he's a good match to play alongside Pogba anymore. We need a 'mad dog' to use Jose's words and then someone who can play out Matic can do the latter but not the former.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You see a lack of commitment? As the most staunch defender of Smalling on the Caf, I'm surprised you don't think (this season) that he's hit and miss, like Smalling (every season) but that there isn't a problem with his attitude.
He's caused us to concede at least half a dozen goals this season by not bothering to follow his man and simply watching him run into empty space and score (or set up the goal). If Pogba were doing those exact same things it would be getting jumped on by the media, Mourinho and half the people in here as a sign Pogba was lazy and can't be bothered. For some reason it's a different narrative when it's Matic.

Ekeke

I think theres a problem with his aggression. He's a big guy who goes in for tackles like he's 4 foot nothing. I think there's times when he runs around plenty, but with that lack of aggression his attempts to win the ball look half hearted

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think theres a problem with his aggression. He's a big guy who goes in for tackles like he's 4 foot nothing. I think there's times when he runs around plenty, but with that lack of aggression his attempts to win the ball look half hearted
I don't disagree. I don't think he's ever been that type of player to be honest. But I've never once thought that he doesn't care or he's not trying, like I do often times with Pogba (contrary to what people are trying to make out, it's not merely about tracking runners). I just think he's been run into the ground by Jose this season after already being tired last season (with a World Cup in between). He needs to manage his games much better, and he also benefits from having an efficient and energetic player alongside him.

Ekeke

I don't disagree. I don't think he's ever been that type of player to be honest. But I've never once thought that he doesn't care or he's not trying, like I do often times with Pogba (contrary to what people are trying to make out, it's not merely about tracking runners). I just think he's been run into the ground by Jose this season after already being tired last season (with a World Cup in between). He needs to manage his games much better, and he also benefits from having an efficient and energetic player alongside him.
I didn't see it happen nearly as often last season. He didnt win the ball as much as some other combative and hard working DMs but when he went in for a challenge it was sturdy enough to come away with the ball most of the time. This season I dont think so. I see him there to put his foot in, trying and being ignored

Canagel

He's caused us to concede at least half a dozen goals this season by not bothering to follow his man and simply watching him run into empty space and score (or set up the goal). If Pogba were doing those exact same things it would be getting jumped on by the media, Mourinho and half the people in here as a sign Pogba was lazy and can't be bothered. For some reason it's a different narrative when it's Matic.
Yep . his derby performance was worse than anything Pogba has done , he won absolutely nothing in the midfield but hey he hasn't got a fancy haircut so why would he get jumped on by the media? Only one pundit has said anything and that's Petit after Bournemouth game - another lackluster and lazy performance

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didn't see it happen nearly as often last season. He didnt win the ball as much as some other combative and hard working DMs but when he went in for a challenge it was sturdy enough to come away with the ball most of the time. This season I dont think so. I see him there to put his foot in, trying and being ignored
I've mainly seen a guy in a team of individuals trying and often not succeeding. Last season was completely different for all of them. And it's evident in most games this season that he's knackered as fook.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I've mainly seen a guy in a team of individuals trying and often not succeeding. Last season was completely different for all of them. And it's evident in most games this season that he's knackered as fook.
The amount of times I've watched him nonchalantly jogging back towards our goal when we lose possession would suggest the contrary, and more often than not we will see opposition players busting a gut actually pass him in the process. It happens every game and has cost us on several occasions. It wouldn't be as bad if his main contribution towards the team is meant to be a defensive one. Compare that to the level of commitment we see from Herrera.

b20times

Touted as the best player in Europe when utd signed him. Unfortunately it didn't state what part of Europe.

Foxbatt

The amount of times I've watched him nonchalantly jogging back towards our goal when we lose possession would suggest the contrary, and more often than not we will see opposition players busting a gut actually pass him in the process. It happens every game and has cost us on several occasions. It wouldn't be as bad if his main contribution towards the team is meant to be a defensive one. Compare that to the level of commitment we see from Herrera.
he will throw a leg out and the opposing player will ignore it and carry on running with the ball and as you say he will jog back. Or as in numerous occasions he will just jog alongside him without doing anything to distract him or tackle him.
Yes against Fulham is was better but which player was not better against Fulham?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep, I can forgie bad performances but not jogging back when playing defence. He is doing it all the time even at start of the games.

evil_geko

Brilliant player when played to his strengths, knee jerk merchants are hilarious though.

Foxbatt

Brilliant player when played to his strengths, knee jerk merchants are hilarious though.
What are his strengths that he needs to be played? He is a defensive midfield player and that is where he has always played for United too.

snk123

Can't wait til he's fecked off when Jose goes. A fecking abortion of a player.
No. I think you meant to say one of the best DMs around, protects the ball very well, doesn't panic when he's surrounded and has all the attributes (fantastic shot, long passes etc).

Just wish Jose gives him a rest often as he runs out of steam by 70th minute.

Canagel

What strengths?
He's not exactly Xavi on the ball is he? Herrera is showing us what an actual DM can do and was doing it before we signed matic for no reason .

Canagel

Can't wait til he's fecked off when Jose goes. A fecking abortion of a player.
Amen . I've seen lorries turn faster . What a downgrade from Carrick who wasn't blessed with pace either but never took more than 2 touches to move the ball

rotherham_red

No. I think you meant to say one of the best DMs around, protects the ball very well, doesn't panic when he's surrounded and has all the attributes (fantastic shot, long passes etc).

Just wish Jose gives him a rest often as he runs out of steam by 70th minute.
He hides behind the defence at the first hint of any trouble. He takes 5 touches before invariably passing backwards and sideways and therefore slows down our attacks. Even his supposed strengths of defensive positioning is non-existant - he regularly lets runners through and has been the cause of at least two killer goals against us (Juve at home and City away).

I could handle him being shit on or off the ball, if the other side of his game was up to scratch, but frankly it quite simply isn't.

Liverpool 3:1 Man Utd

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I have absolutely no idea how he’s starting and finishing all our games. He shouldn’t even be on our bench.

When Jose is gone he will follow shortly after that much I have no doubt.

Foxbatt

He was awful today too after a decent start. He went back to his jogging habit. It was his lack of marking and not putting on pressure that led to the pass for the Pool first goal. Yes Young went to sleep too but that pass should never have been allowed. Jose will still pick him up for the next game.

Stadjer

Everything he does goes slowly. When he runs, slow. When he turns, slow. When he tries to pass, slow. Basically he is slow. Very very slow and that is a problem.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope he fecks off with Mourinho, along with Mourinho's other soldiers.

Eugenius

It was very noticeable how much 'busier' Herrera was in closing down players. Was watching Matic closely and his default mode is to jog backwards and drop into space without really picking anyone up or putting pressure. He ends up basically as a 3rd centre back when we don't have the ball.

He needs to learn to use his right foot and open his body up. The main reason he's so slow on the ball is that he wants to shift it on to his left all the time - basically he's a left footed Valencia.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It was very noticeable how much 'busier' Herrera was in closing down players. Was watching Matic closely and his default mode is to jog backwards and drop into space without really picking anyone up or putting pressure. He ends up basically as a 3rd centre back when we don't have the ball.

He needs to learn to use his right foot and open his body up. The main reason he's so slow on the ball is that he wants to shift it on to his left all the time - basically he's a left footed Valencia.
Nah, he just needs to be sold

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have absolutely no idea how he’s starting and finishing all our games. He shouldn’t even be on our bench.

When Jose is gone he will follow shortly after that much I have no doubt.
Jose holds a different standard of what is and isn't an acceptable performance depending on who the player is.

One of the things that pisses me off most

Bwuk

He looks like Bastian did when he was here.

Legs have gone.

M16Red

At one point clyne just ran around him like he wasnt there, hes just too slow for the EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.