New Gillette ad

Don't Kill Bill

To be fair I have been trying to get my wife to cook the barbeque for years. Now Gillette says I'm not allowed to shave unless she does it I think she is going to have to submit because she hates beards.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Thanks Gillette

mu4c_20le

I just saw the ad and pretty much agree with the first page replies... good message, wrong execution. Also couldn't help but laugh out loud when the black dude stopped the white dude from catcalling women.

Norris

Good Ad, maybe very dramatic in a way, but the message is clear.

Listar

I have no issues with the ad. I think masculinity does not mean violence, bullying and doing lewd acts. Masculinity actually means to refraining from violence when not required and standing up to the bullys. However, there were few instances in there I thought was just attempt to flirt. Can't men flirt with ladies on the street anymore because that is seen as unwanted attention?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Meanwhile...
Great. Now every time I see a vegetable it will trigger a memory of this commercial and make me think it’s the equivalent of eating male genitals, which will make me not eat vegetables. Terrible effect.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I dont even shave so not bothered but that’s a Joke of an advert tbh.

klsv

What's the opposite of PC? Because that's what has gone mad.

Good job by Gillette anyway. Got their attention. I also used to very critical of big companies using social and political issues to make profit, but honestly, if feminism or any other movement remains in its own niche, it's not going to be enough. Stuff like this will shape the new normality, some will moan but I'm glad the next generations will be growing up in this type of cultural space as an opposite to what was considered acceptable when I grew up.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I think its quite good. Whether companies should be dictating social change is an entirely different argument altogether but it looks like they set up a non-profit which is cool I guess.
They aren't dictating anything...calm down. As a huge global corporation who is run by PEOPLE, they would also have a responsibility to the community, it's what a good company does. Not because you call yourself a corporation doesn't meet you shouldn't speak up or care about social issues. Eventually social changes would affect your company in the medium to long term.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Advertising has always promoted social change - it's one reason why we have an increasingly self-centred society.'Be the envy of all your friends' is a classic advertising slogan...and what a seductive, destructive slogan it is.

bpet15

I love the fact I am looking at a thread about Gillette, yet there is a huge Harry’s advert on the bottom of each page.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I just saw the ad and pretty much agree with the first page replies... good message, wrong execution. Also couldn't help but laugh out loud when the black dude stopped the white dude from catcalling women.
46 out of 47 men displaying negative behaviour were white. Out of 7 in the ad displaying positive behaviour 5 were black. :lol:

Halftrack

They're mass deleting comments and downvotes from YouTube :lol: Absolute tossers
Who are 'they'? As far as I know, only YouTube themselves can alter likes/dislikes. What's more likely is that some fragile white male egos have used bot accounts to spam dislikes, and YouTube has removed likes/dislikes left in periods of high suspected bot activity.

hobbers

Any comment from Gillette about why they can't quite be woke enough to stop charging women more for their razors?

Florida Man

It's a decent analogy I think, if not a 1:1 analogy.

"Hey women, we need to do better because (thing only a tiny minority of women do)"
It’s definitely more than just a tiny minority of men who have acted or still act inappropriately to women. It’s far more widespread, else we wouldn’t have the amount of women speaking out on it as we see. Also, there was never a time where men in general have had to put up with living in a “woman’s world”. Also, give me one good example of what women are doing inappropriately to men in large numbers that wouod warrant such a canpaign? Short answer is you can’t. So this false equivalency doesn’t fly. Context matters.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Who are 'they'? As far as I know, only YouTube themselves can alter likes/dislikes. What's more likely is that some fragile white male egos have used bot accounts to spam dislikes, and YouTube has removed likes/dislikes left in periods of high suspected bot activity.
fecking white men, how dare they!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think people finding an issue with the way races are portrayed is a bit of a stretch. Let’s say they make the black guys the baddies, they’d catch even more flak. They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t really. It’s better to be accused of being ‘right on’ than racist.

As for the rest of the advert, there’s obviously nothing inherently wrong with the core message, I think it’s just done with such a high and mighty attitude that it pissed some people off. People know it’s bad to do these things, there’s no sex offender who’s going to watch that and have an epiphany. So for a razor company to start preaching, it’s a bit like who the feck are you?

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
You don't need bots to explain why an advert with a scene decrying "mansplaining" was heavily downvoted.

It’s definitely more than just a tiny minority of men who have acted or still act inappropriately to women. It’s far more widespread, else we wouldn’t have the amount of women speaking out on it as we see. Also, there was never a time where men in general have had to put up with living in a “woman’s world”. Also, give me one good example of what women are doing inappropriately to men in large numbers that wouod warrant such a canpaign? Short answer is you can’t. So this false equivalency doesn’t fly. Context matters.
Depends how you define "tiny" I guess. I got the guy's point, people don't like being told they need to "do better" because of things a small group of twats in the same demographic as them have done.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Seeing as this 'woman's world' is really only in its infancy, it goes without saying that there are currently no examples of what you ask for. However, come back in another 20 - 25 years & I reckon there'll be plenty of stories of women behaving inappropriately. I was out a few years ago in Liverpool city centre with a couple of friends from work. There was a large hen party in one particular pub where the drunken 'hens' were going around grabbing mens private parts to see who had the biggest meat & two veg. Some of the blokes were even with their female partners, but it didn't stop these idiots acting like the giant pricks that they were carrying around with them. It seems kinda pointless taking over the world if you're just going to behave in the same way as those you've bitched & moaned about for years. How's that for context.

2 man midfield

Seeing as this 'woman's world' is really only in its infancy, it goes without saying that there are currently no examples of what you ask for. However, come back in another 20 - 25 years & I reckon there'll be plenty of stories of women behaving inappropriately. I was out a few years ago in Liverpool city centre with a couple of friends from work. There was a large hen party in one particular pub where the drunken 'hens' were going around grabbing mens private parts to see who had the biggest meat & two veg. Some of the blokes were even with their female partners, but it didn't stop these idiots acting like the giant pricks that they were carrying around with them. It seems kinda pointless taking over the world if you're just going to behave in the same way as those you've bitched & moaned about for years. How's that for context.
People will likely come respond to that with the fact that those are obviously a select group of women and are in no way representative of their gender - which is the exact point men make. The only difference is the scale, I guess.

Florida Man

Well it’s fecking Liverpool, a godforsaken place of subhumans and weirdos. They’re not an accurate sample of the world.

Also, it’s a big assumption to state that women will take over the world in a way that men have ruled the world, let alone in 20-25 years. I think you’re equating womens equality to mens oppression.

Cloud7

Depends how you define "tiny" I guess. I got the guy's point, people don't like being told they need to "do better" because of things a small group of twats in the same demographic as them have done
Why do they not like it? If it doesn’t fall in your garden and you aren’t the type of man who needs to do better, then there’s no reason to be upset about it. It’s as simple as that really.

Cloud7

This is how it always is. These “PC gone mad!” types always seem to be the ones getting offended over everything, while at the same time telling everyone else they’re an easily offended snowflake.

2 man midfield

This is how it always is. These “PC gone mad!” types always seem to be the ones getting offended over everything, while at the same time telling everyone else they’re an easily offended snowflake.
Maybe online, it seems the opposite in real life. At least in my experience.