Newcastle owners sanction the murder of 7 men for sit-in protests

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
People are going to criticise this but they drive petrol cars so in the end aren't we all Saudi murderers.
This is nothing when compared to what chinese government does to their people, and it doesn't stop people buying goods from China, and use tiktok, temu...etc.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
That was certainly my own intention - and I believe that goes for pretty much everyone else too.

Except @rimaldo, of course (I have it on good authority that he's the grandson of Stalin's uncle's mistress, a horrible woman who went by the stage name "Rimalda"). *

* Spelled "rimalda" (lower-case, that's where he got the idea).
a few people i don’t know, and therefore don’t really care about, are going to die, whilst i’m sat here, lamenting our lack of strikers, wishing we had the owners to sign mbappe. you know, actual problems.

Barthez

Shock horror the world isn’t perfect. Their country, their rules.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What's your suggestion? Don't discuss it, we have no right to disagree what happens in another jurisdiction? Stop caring who owns the club United share a league with? Or do you think there's genuinely nothing to see here?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
agreed. are you as minded as me in that you
would you be happy to keep the glazers if they promised to murder a few people next season?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes, and countered with obtuse questions. It deserves better discussion.
While I totally agree, I'm not actually sure what there is to discuss otherwise that hasn't been said a thousand times already. I mean, the Saudi 'justice' system is clearly not deserving of the name, obviously it's harsh dictatorship, and it's awful that a regime like that owns an EPL club (or anything, for that matter).

But then what? We retread all that? Although I suppose that's better than the sarcasm/cynicism or, even worse, not reacting cause there's nothing new to say.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
While I totally agree, I'm not actually sure what there is to discuss otherwise that hasn't been said a thousand times already. I mean, the Saudi 'justice' system is clearly not deserving of the name, obviously it's harsh dictatorship, and it's awful that a regime like that owns an EPL club (or anything, for that matter).

But then what? We retread all that? Although I suppose that's better than the sarcasm/cynicism or, even worse, not reacting cause there's nothing new to say.
I think treat it like it would be treated in the Current Events forum, where the point scoring is at least couched in an attempt at decorum.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think treat it like it would be treated in the Current Events forum, where the point scoring is at least couched in an attempt at decorum.
I suppose the advantage of having the discussion over here is that some newbies get to show their true colours...

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
decorum shouldn’t be wasted on people who are entirely lacking in empathy.

Barthez

What's your suggestion? Don't discuss it, we have no right to disagree what happens in another jurisdiction? Stop caring who owns the club United share a league with? Or do you think there's genuinely nothing to see here?
It can be discussed but the world is one fecked up place. It’s not right, of course it isn’t but you can’t change cultures, traditions, beliefs and the history of the country if doesn’t want to itself.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
It can be discussed but the world is one fecked up place. It’s not right, of course it isn’t but you can’t change cultures, traditions, beliefs and the history of the country if doesn’t want to itself.
agreed. it’s why we’re all still living in mud huts and shitting in the streets.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So what do you suggest? Just do or say nothing? Then how do you expect anything to change ever? Cause staying silent on such a very visible action from such a high-profile partner of the UK and the EPL would give a clear signal that they can get away with anything.

You could counter that this just a football forum, but that's not how it works. This is a social community, a place where people see what others think and have their own thoughts shaped, just as anywhere else. It's like with climate change or basically anything: you're nothing on your own, but as part of a like-minded community, you have a voice and impact.

So it's as important here as anywhere to make clear that this is not OK (to put it mildly), and to not let those who don't care or agree appear to have the upper hand in this discussion, and not let it seem that's it common or acceptable to adopt that position.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I can’t understand why people that live in a constitutional law governed state are hypocritically not questioning the use of Sharia.
The fact that discussing this is off the table there will be no genuine discussion around these matters.
When governance and religion are merged the abuse of human right is unavoidable. Look at USA debate on birth control, how is it even a discussion because people are compromised and can’t even speak their own truths.Obvious different case but Im just alluding to why these matters are a catastrophic situation that no one wants to deal with.
If a woman gets to the point they believe a pregnancy should be terminated they no longer subscribe to the same conservative believes. Likewise if young people get to the point of protesting an issue they should not be judge on the same laws they’ve chose to protest against.
I’ve mentioned a few times already, doing business with these countries I’m alright with because for me they are separate entities. We can’t keep circling around the issues and not talk about the cause of it all due to some fear. If Amnesty International want to truly address these issues let them balls up and talk about the use of Sharia instead of saying everything but.

Brophs

The One and Only
ffs.

@Brophs, i won’t be needing your legal advice on putting a bid in after all.
Read it again. He said paedos. Plural. Just don’t get involved in a consortium with the boys from the club and they can’t touch you. So to speak.

tomaldinho1

What can you do about it though? Prevent any random rich Arab from buying football clubs because they're connected to the state in some way?

This is grim because the PIF, a state run organization, owns Newcastle. You could put in a rule that says the source of the capital shouldn't have relations to the state at all (kind of a dubious rule to put in place because most wealthy people have some connection to their respective states) but they can very easily put up fronts like Jassim to get around that rule.
As an individual the only option is to support a different team, sadly that’s my only option if Qatar win.

Everyone is complicit but the players and managers who agree to play under these nation’s flags are the worst perpetrators. The sickening part being these are no breadline earning people, the desperation for money would at least be understandable, these are multimillionaires who have so little ability to think critically and such fear of not following the herd that they can’t imagine simply just saying ‘no’ to a handful of clubs whose owners literally kill people. It couldn’t be a lower bar and yet here we are.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That is an interesting point I have also thought about for a bit. But in the end public image is only a small part of sports washing. It is also about creating dependencies. And it is about creating connections. Getting into the room with the right people. Create an environment wherein favors and bribes can easily be exchanged. Get important people do your bidding. Public image doesn't even have to improve for sports washing to be effective. It is enough to have people dependent on you so they defend you when criticism is voiced.
This is frankly bullshit and moving of the goalposts

"Sportswashing is done by bad states to launder/improve their reputation"

"But it brings attention to their bad acts, more than if they never tried to "sportswash""

"Well actually sportswashing is much more than improving their reputation"

Yeah sure, ok.

And regarding the bolded, do you understand those dependencies, connections, rooms, environments you speak of, literally exist already, and have existed for years prior to the Newcastle acquisition? There is no need for Saudi Arabia to do what you have mentioned, today.

I await another "definition" of "sportswashing" conveniently constructed to evade the logical loopholes that have been pointed out

manutddjw

Genuine question about sportwashing. When these countries buy clubs, due to the popularity of football, they put themselves under a microscope that otherwise wouldn’t have been there.

I would’ve never known about this case or other viewpoints these countries have if it wasn’t for football. Maybe a small portion of Newcastle fans will turn a blind eye and justify these actions but I suspect a vast majority will acknowledge it is wrong. I’m strongly in the Qatar camp for our ownership, but I’m not going to start agreeing with everything they do just because they own us and do good things for our club.

The Firestarter

Maybe a small portion of Newcastle fans will turn a blind eye and justify these actions but I suspect a vast majority will acknowledge it is wrong. I’m strongly in the Qatar camp for our ownership, but I’m not going to start agreeing with everything they do just because they own us and do good things for our club.
Exactly the opposite.

ROFLUTION

Has it ever dawned on you naive idiots that this a sportswashing that works for the city of Newcastle?

It works the other way around: People forget about Geordie Shore now.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Their execution would mark a chilling escalation of the already record-breaking use of the death penalty with the number of executions in the country having increased seven-fold in the past three years alone.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It's their culture and we have to respect it. I hope Saudi Arabia gets to organize the World Cup soon, so they can open up to the world and see the error of their ways.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With this, should Newcastle fans feel less happy when that CL anthem song will be played in St. James ?

Bob Contact

Driving to Festivus with all the windows down
Not an issue for the fans because they'll eventually win the treble and we'll be treated to a weeks coverage of Dan Burn being a 'lad'.

Tragic. I sincerely hope Qatar don't take over (I am aware that SA are in another league for this sort of thing but a Human Rights Abuser is a Human Rights Abuser is a Human Rights Abuser. Old Zen saying).

Wilt

It‘s their culture and we have to respect it. I hope Saudi Arabia gets to organize the World Cup soon, so they can open up to the world and see the error of their ways.
Just because you respect it ….don’t expect others to.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
This is nothing when compared to what chinese government does to their people, and it doesn't stop people buying goods from China, and use tiktok, temu...etc.
Shein is the worst from china. There’s an unbelievable amount of people that buy clothes from that place.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's really disgusting how more than a few are lumping Qatar in with Saudi Arabia.

Life in Qatar is pretty decent for nearly everyone if you shut up about politics. In Saudi Arabia you get killed for literally anything you do that doesnt conform with fundamentalist islam, including existing as a non-muslim.

Stop being so ignorant Caf.

IncyWincySpider

Football has become so grim. I'm really not sure I'm going to watch next season. I don't think it would be so depressing if more people were speaking out about this stuff but the majority of fans seem desperate to get on board with it all.

Woodzy

With this, should Newcastle fans feel less happy when that CL anthem song will be played in St. James ?
I don’t know but I think Geoff Shreeves is probably going to want to hold off on reminding players they are banned from the next round of the competition for these Newcastle games.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's really disgusting how more than a few are lumping Qatar in with Saudi Arabia.

Life in Qatar is pretty decent for nearly everyone if you shut up about politics. In Saudi Arabia you get killed for literally anything you do that doesnt conform with fundamentalist islam, including existing as a non-muslim.

Stop being so ignorant Caf.
Nearly doing a bit of work there mate.

klsv

Genuine question about sportwashing. When these countries buy clubs, due to the popularity of football, they put themselves under a microscope that otherwise wouldn’t have been there.

I would’ve never known about this case or other viewpoints these countries have if it wasn’t for football. Maybe a small portion of Newcastle fans will turn a blind eye and justify these actions but I suspect a vast majority will acknowledge it is wrong. I’m strongly in the Qatar camp for our ownership, but I’m not going to start agreeing with everything they do just because they own us and do good things for our club.

I actually think it's the opposite. The tribal nature of sports fandom works well for them. Everyone who follows news and politics pretty much know what are the issues with Saudi Arabia. They usually disapprove of it or don't really care and we'd have threads about in the currenr events forum instead of the football forum. If you support Newcastle and you're owned by them, and the new ownership lifts you back into Champions League, you now how a reason to find excuses for the regime and evem if you can't find any, you can always point out the "hypocrisy" of those who criticize your club to play down the issues with your owners.