Newcastle owners sanction the murder of 7 men for sit-in protests

Mr. Ant

It's really disgusting how more than a few are lumping Qatar in with Saudi Arabia.

Life in Qatar is pretty decent for nearly everyone if you shut up about politics. In Saudi Arabia you get killed for literally anything you do that doesnt conform with fundamentalist islam, including existing as a non-muslim.

Stop being so ignorant Caf.
I'm pretty sure life is pretty decent for thousands of slaves that live in Qatar...

I get that laws in KSA are worse than in other arab states but does that mean we shouldn't discuss them as well?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It all started when they allowed City to be bought by a state.
Good job. Money over everything I guess?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's polemic for sure. Let see how their matchgoers celebrate when Trippier scored a freekick against Madrid.

I don’t know but I think Geoff Shreeves is probably going to want to hold off on reminding players they are banned from the next round of the competition for these Newcastle games.
This is totally woosh over my head, mate.

stevoc

It all started when they allowed City to be bought by a state.
Good job. Money over everything I guess?
To be honest it really all started with Roman buying Chelsea. The fact a Russian gangster with close ties to a despot passed the fit and proper persons test opened the door for all sorts of nefarious regimes, criminals, chancers and charlatans to worm their way into English football.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's polemic for sure. Let see how their matchgoers celebrate when Trippier scored a freekick against Madrid.
So if some people display in an immoral way, that is fine? You're basically saying, 'Who cares if people (including kids) have been tortured and killed' because the fans will still celebrate when they score?

I don't get it. Do you agree with them?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So if some people display in an immoral way, that is fine? You're basically saying, 'Who cares if people (including kids) have been tortured and killed' because the fans will still celebrate when they score?

I don't get it. Do you agree with them?
I thought this thread is on Football Forum? I'm questioning from Newcastle fans POV.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I actually think it's the opposite. The tribal nature of sports fandom works well for them. Everyone who follows news and politics pretty much know what are the issues with Saudi Arabia. They usually disapprove of it or don't really care and we'd have threads about in the currenr events forum instead of the football forum. If you support Newcastle and you're owned by them, and the new ownership lifts you back into Champions League, you now how a reason to find excuses for the regime and evem if you can't find any, you can always point out the "hypocrisy" of those who criticize your club to play down the issues with your owners.
And what impact does this have in real life?

Do you think a factor in Saudi Arabia buying Newcastle was some online fans now defending the regime in online arguments?

klsv

Do you think a factor in Saudi Arabia buying Newcastle was some online fans now defending the regime in online arguments?
I think changing the way people speak about their country in general is one of the factors for sure. Not just Newcastle and not just online, of course. It's not just Newcastle anyway. For Saudis there's also F1 and golf. I don't think they want to make money off Newcastle.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So let's pretend Russia is the same as North Korea? This shit actually matters to people's lives. I'm sure if you'd asked Romanians under Ceaucescu (whatever, I cant spell to save my life) if theyd prefer the circumstances in Hungary in the 80's, theyd all say yes. I don't see the point pretending that not being completely free but having food and a roof over your head and not being killed indiscriminately is the same as not being completely free and having a shit life.
I'm pretty sure life is pretty decent for thousands of slaves that live in Qatar...

I get that laws in KSA are worse than in other arab states but does that mean we shouldn't discuss them as well?
1. This thread is about Saudis
2. Why Arab states? What has Qatar got to do with Saudi Arabia? They're both Arab. Okay, makes perfect sense.

gajender

Zilch I would argue I believe this whole argument of Sports Washing simply boils down to football fans overrating their own importance in the grand scheme of things .

These countries already have a seat at the top table and don't need defending they are well entrenched in power circles where there are Enough world leaders willing and eager to do their bidding , what they are doing is simply diversifying or simple dick swinging .

adexkola

Supports
I think changing the way people speak about their country in general is one of the factors for sure. Not just Newcastle and not just online, of course. It's not just Newcastle anyway. For Saudis there's also F1 and golf. I don't think they want to make money off Newcastle.
Yeah they have changed it. For worse. Commentary on Saudi Arabia online is much more negative than positive.

Zilch I would argue I believe this whole argument of Sports Washing simply boils down to football fans overrating their own importance in the grand scheme of things .

These countries already have a seat at the top table and don't need defending they are well entrenched in power circles where there are Enough world leaders willing and eager to do their bidding , what they are doing is simply diversifying or simple dick swinging .
Spot on.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To be honest it really all started with Roman buying Chelsea. The fact a Russian gangster with close ties to a despot passed the fit and proper persons test opened the door for all sorts of nefarious regimes, criminals, chancers and charlatans to worm their way into English football.
Chelsea as well. But City started the trend where its more accepted. Its where it became normality.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yeah there almost seems to be some kind of rejoicing going on here over a tragic event and using it as some kind of point scoring exercise and it’s really quite ugly. The first page is almost entirely “jokes and parody”
What? It’s horrendous. The actions of the dictatorship. End of. Should not be allowed to hollow out a football club for sports washing purposes. End of. Don’t you agree?

Pintu

Yeah they have changed it. For worse. Commentary on Saudi Arabia online is much more negative than positive.
I don’t know if they care for the “negative/positive”… There is definitely a lot of talk about them. And the football related talk isn’t all negative.

Football magazines with millions of followers posting something like this link bellow about Saudi league is actually a positive for the regime’s strategy.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cti6NA5vpWG/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

InfiniteBoredom

It's really disgusting how more than a few are lumping Qatar in with Saudi Arabia.

Life in Qatar is pretty decent for nearly everyone if you shut up about politics. In Saudi Arabia you get killed for literally anything you do that doesnt conform with fundamentalist islam, including existing as a non-muslim.

Stop being so ignorant Caf.
Ah yes, the decent life of not being able to practice popular suffrage, truly something to aspire to.

KSA is barbarity on a level of its own but let’s not pretend that fundamentally they aren’t the same society with the same tyranny being exercised.

adexkola

Supports
I don’t know if they care for the “negative/positive”… There is definitely a lot of talk about them. And the football related talk isn’t all negative.

Football magazines with millions of followers posting something like this link bellow about Saudi league is actually a positive for the regime’s strategy.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cti6NA5vpWG/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
And the regime's strategy is what exactly? I want to correlate it to a video of supporters dancing

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ideally noone linked to the state, government or royalty of any country should be able to buy a club -

All history of American, Great Britain, the Middle East and nearly all countries show a history of utter violence and killing just within the last 10-100 years.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

My guess is they're trying to entrench themselves in Western popular culture to create an aura of legitimacy. That legitimacy may help them to attract more investors to Saudi Arabia. After all, I think the Saudi royals are well aware of the need for diversification.

Andy_Cole

It’s not murder though is it. It’s the death penalty for a rule they broke. I’m not saying it’s right. But I’ve never heard of other countries committing murder for the death penalty.

adexkola

Supports
It’s not murder though is it. It’s the death penalty for a rule they broke. I’m not saying it’s right. But I’ve never heard of other countries committing murder for the death penalty.
Death penalty is murder by the state. Legal within their frameworks, yes, but immoral for several reasons

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So let's pretend Russia is the same as North Korea? This shit actually matters to people's lives. I'm sure if you'd asked Romanians under Ceaucescu (whatever, I cant spell to save my life) if theyd prefer the circumstances in Hungary in the 80's, theyd all say yes. I don't see the point pretending that not being completely free but having food and a roof over your head and not being killed indiscriminately is the same as not being completely free and having a shit life.

1. This thread is about Saudis
2. Why Arab states? What has Qatar got to do with Saudi Arabia? They're both Arab. Okay, makes perfect sense.
Good for you thinking that. I personally think it’s incredibly stupid to say people can have a decent life if they don’t discuss politics and we should be okay with that and accept it but you do you.

Marwood

I'm sure that distincton will be of solace to the families.

Not technically murder becasue a handful of blokes have made up an unjust law.

gajender

My guess is they're trying to entrench themselves in Western popular culture to create an aura of legitimacy. That legitimacy may help them to attract more investors to Saudi Arabia. After all, I think the Saudi royals are well aware of the need for diversification.
Again we come back to the same point they are already legit for the people who make all these decisions , they aren't seeking acknowledgement or approval from football fans they are just diversifying and preparing for the future . Or they are buying it because they simply can nothing more to it .

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That is an interesting point I have also thought about for a bit. But in the end public image is only a small part of sports washing. It is also about creating dependencies. And it is about creating connections. Getting into the room with the right people. Create an environment wherein favors and bribes can easily be exchanged. Get important people do your bidding. Public image doesn't even have to improve for sports washing to be effective. It is enough to have people dependent on you so they defend you when criticism is voiced.
Good, succinct and poignant post.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Again we come back to the same point they are already legit for the people who make all these decisions , they aren't seeking acknowledgement or approval from football fans they are just diversifying and preparing for the future . Or they are buying it because they simply can nothing more to it .
They're not yet legit for everyone though.

gajender

Good, succinct and poignant post.
It's nice conjecture nothing more but far from reality , all the things mentioned have already happened for these Nations they don't need to buy Football Clubs for that .

Marwood

So do you class any ‘war hero’ as a murderer?
These endless no sense comparisons, like this above, aren't something I get into.

Better question is why you feel the need to if not fully defend, at least water down what's going on in Saudi.

gajender

They're not yet legit for everyone though.
Ok not being argumentative just general question for whom they are not legit not talking about the masses but the power brokers or influential institutions .

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's nice conjecture nothing more but far from reality , all the things mentioned have already happened for these Nations they don't need to buy Football Clubs for that .
Depends on where they’re venturing and expanding to; evidenced in other sports, there’s vested interest in dipping toes. So yes, it is necessary, especially in terms of expediency.