Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I basically had to find articles and youtube videos myself because both managers didn't provide enough info. Not necessary an 12,000-word essay, but something more to show us voters how good the players really are

If the 40s doesn't generate enough interest, we can forget about 30s, 20s and so on
I think that's the bottom line - there wasn't a shedload of posts from the managers and it was compounded by the odd situation that few of the draft regulars seemed to be around (as shown by the penalty carry on). Let's reserve judgement until later in the tournament.

Annahnomoss

mazhar is right, its because of the 40s draft.....
im a draft junkie and i enjoy reading through threads during both parts, drafting and games but this draft is first that i ignore all the threads as its the first time i dont know shit about majority of players and its impossible to judge the teams, at least for me. Its okay when you dont know about 2 or 3 players in the team, you can get the picture and you can do some research about unknowns but when you dont know shit about 6 or 7 players then there is no point in doing anything.
Same story with me. Don't have the time to research so many teams and players even if I happily read through the match threads and the discussion I can't justify voting. I will try and provide some discussion and insight on the players I feel comfortable with but even then I don't see myself capable of voting.

If I have enough time some day I will do it though, and maybe the next rounds will be easier to participate in.

Skizzo

What is a sheep draft?
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/

Aldo had one prior to that too.

Edit: this was my favourite part of the draft for me

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/page-40#post-16963260

Mainly because it included this

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/page-45#post-16967313

And this

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/page-47#post-16967463

Which is a fairly simple gif....but to this day I can't help but laugh when I see it, just from knowing all what was going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
someone suggested before and i think it would be fun, you guys played manager draft which is pretty similar but in this case you would pick your "captain" first and then you pick only players that played with him during his career. Its pretty easy so we can play it like a sheep draft or just add different criterias.

Marty1968

Would definitely be up for a sheep draft or another auction draft (with restrictions). What you thinking?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Old one done yet? Who won?
I think the semifinals are played this week, so no, not done yet. Might take one more week until it's finished.

MJJ

I think the semifinals are played this week, so no, not done yet. Might take one more week until it's finished.
Ahh okie, this is almost taking as long as the annah one or maybe it just feels that way on the sidelines.

Will take part in the next one as long as its a relatively modern one.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
We definitely need more players that the average member has heard of for the next draft

Šjor Bepo

at this point im up for anything really, i need a fix.....the current draft is running for ages now:annoyed:

Annahnomoss

Maybe something like a 2015-16 draft just to get the interest back in? Not a lot of games have been played but that would mean plenty of new faces who have started the season strongly. I won't play myself just tossing out ideas.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Maybe something like a 2015-16 draft just to get the interest back in? Not a lot of games have been played but that would mean plenty of new faces who have started the season strongly. I won't play myself just tossing out ideas.
Thought of it but i'd prefer a 15/16 draft for end of season. Don't think there is a lack of interest, rather a hunger from those who didn't participate in the last one. To attract interest from newbies we should play all-time or current players. A sheep draft would certainly "revive" (lel) the fun.

Last edited:

The Stain

Possibly, depends on what the scope of it is.
I suggest either all-time or born after 60/70. Just make it hard as hell to maximize number of sheep and throw in a few curveballs here and there :D

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I suggest either all-time or born after 60/70. Just make it hard as hell to maximize number of sheep and throw in a few curveballs here and there :D
Sheep draft is best if all-time. Decades can always be a criteria to ensure diversity.

I can run it, but would need a helper (someone in non US time-zone preferably). Though I'd prefer to play more than run :p

The Stain

Sheep draft is best if all-time. Decades can always be a criteria to ensure diversity.

I can run it, but would need a helper (someone in non US time-zone preferably). Though I'd prefer to play more than run :p
Ye, all-time sounds good. @Gio might run it so you can play, EAP.

Šjor Bepo

i would rather play with players born after certain year as that way the pool is smaller and that means the drafting will be more interesting and the chance for the sheep will be bigger.
If you guys dont want to play from 60/70s lets at least start from the 50s so the 40s get a rest as the current draft is from that era.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Count me in if it's all-time - and brutal.

Didn't get to play the current one properly, too busy with all manner of pesky RL chores (as they say).

The more curve balls and the like, the better.

PS Playing, I mean - not running.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
i would rather play with players born after certain year as that way the pool is smaller and that means the drafting will be more interesting and the chance for the sheep will be bigger.
If you guys dont want to play from 60/70s lets at least start from the 50s so the 40s get a rest as the current draft is from that era.
It ceases to be fun after 2 sheep's. And most will end up with one even in all time. Should be sufficient..

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Bloody hell, wanted to take a break but there is no way I'm going to miss a sheep draft, so book me a place. Hopefully a draft like Skizzo's with plenty of curveballs like Chester stated. We need more meltdowns :devil:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It ceases to be fun after 2 sheep's. And most will end up with one even in all time. Should be sufficient..
Depends how it's organized.

One way to go is to have a maximum of actual sheep (I mean useless players who are only good for a laugh) per team: 12 players per manager, when you have 2 sheer clowns, you're maxed out - and from there on in the draft maestro (or the sheep committee) will give you semi-sheep in the shape of run-of-the-mill but actually useful players.

That's a pretty good safeguard against rendering any team utterly broken.

The Stain

Gio was last seen: Viewing thread The First Redcafe Sheep Draft, 7 minutes ago.

Has planning started?

1. The Stain
2. Joga Bonito
3. Chesterlestreet
4. Sjor Bepo
5. green_smiley
6. EAP

Copy list and add your name. Hurry up, i reckon list will be full in no time..

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Noob question... What is a sheep draft? Could someone please guide me to a draft FAQ, or rules breakdown of some sort? Thanks! :)

The Stain

I'll just add people whom reported interest earlier in the thread so they don't miss out.

1. The Stain
2. Joga Bonito
3. Chesterlestreet
4. Sjor Bepo
5. green_smiley
6. EAP
7. MJJ - needs confirmation
8. Marty1968 - needs confirmation
9. Stobzilla - needs confirmation
10. Skizzo - needs confirmation
11. mazhar13 - needs confirmation
12. Physiocrat - needs confirmation