Next PM | #NoMoBoJo | Still hanging around like a bad smell

The little anecdotes as well. Might as well send up two robots.
"I was speaking to my good friend BUS DRIVER and he told me that what the country really needs is for the Conservative Party to continue its great work making NAME OF COUNTRY the envy of PLANET DESIGNATION 7334-B."

DM's shorter headline is 'Liz takes round 1'.

Rishi fails to land a blow in brutal BBC debate: Sunak slams Liz Truss for 'immoral' £40bn tax cut vow as she brands him a 'bean-counter' who would crash the economy - but poll finds Tories thought the Foreign Secretary came out on top

A snap Opinium poll afterwards found 39 per cent of viewers thought Mr Sunak came out on top, but 38 per cent plumped for Ms Truss.

However, critically among Tory voters Ms Truss was seen as having won by a margin of 47 per cent to 38 per cent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ishi-Sunak-crucial-BBC-TV-debate-TONIGHT.html

DM's shorter headline is 'Liz takes round 1'.

Rishi fails to land a blow in brutal BBC debate: Sunak slams Liz Truss for 'immoral' £40bn tax cut vow as she brands him a 'bean-counter' who would crash the economy - but poll finds Tories thought the Foreign Secretary came out on top

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ishi-Sunak-crucial-BBC-TV-debate-TONIGHT.html

They’ve been brown-nosing her from the get-go. She could’ve shat herself on stage and cried and they’d call it a power move.

It is based on a 2021 blog post he did.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog...s-they-are-the-party-of-big-deficit-spending/

Summary:

First, Labour borrows less than the Conservatives. The data shows that.

And second, Labour has always repaid debt more often than the Conservatives and has always repaid more debt, on average.
I'm aware of that, particularly how unfair it has always been that Healey still gets a huge bad press for having to borrow from the IMF without ever saying it was after taking over from the Tories, and without ever saying he quickly paid it back. Par for the course I suppose, Labour have never been good at defending their economic record.

Nonetheless, the post should have mentioned both parties or it looks biased, whether it is or not.

Sunak is right about one thing, Truss will go for a sugar rush followed by interest rate and balance of payments disaster, the Tories just can't resist it every few years, but what he doesn't mention is the great majority of her tax cuts will go to the already wealthy, because the Tories always do that as well.

The stream for the second debate isnt even working on Youtube. TalkTV what a shitshow

Truss says she has had a great birthday. Today she grew up in Paisley. Yesterday she grew up in Leeds.

The issue is anaemic growth, she says. We have the lowest growth projected in the G7. Johnson says it's the highest. Should get your stories straight.

Fair play to TalkTV, as much as I hate them because they are a rival, this is a good debate.... or at least better than yesterday

Oh oh, something happened. Crash sound as Liz was talking and she looked shocked and walked towards Kate. TalkTV then cut

You mean they’re not going to cannibalise each other for our pleasure any more? How bloody convenient. Murdoch has already chosen Liz anyway.

Everything was answered with "We need to review that", "We need to do more of that", "I would increase that".

Tories reduce spending on everything. It's their raison d'etre. Truss, at one point, said something about putting more into mental health for kids in school. How? Teachers are buying bread and making kids toast out of their own pockets. They cut money going into education. They are so full of shit it's laughable. But all they have to do is promise to be horrible to people in dinghies and something about toilets and the gammons will lap it up.

Thank feck for that. I know that’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I see my energy bill has increased 300 quid and my real wages have decreased by 7% - what is this government going to do about the damn 2010 Equality Act.

Are you losing a vote involving right wing little Englander cnuts!? Why not start a culture war.

Thank feck for that. I know that’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I see my energy bill has increased 300 quid and my real wages have decreased by 7% - what is this government going to do about the damn 2010 Equality Act.

Are you losing a vote involving right wing little Englander cnuts!? Why not start a culture war.
Genuinely hate this country sometimes. Sure let's take away legislation designed so disabled people can't be discriminated against etc, what a great idea.

You do realise that your energy bills are high and your wages are low because of market confidence, and that’s because of the facking wokes? That’s what my neighbour told me and he watched GBNews so he knows what he’s talking about.

Urgh, this is going to be this elections “dead cat” isn’t it?

You do realise that your energy bills are high and your wages are low because of market confidence, and that’s because of the facking wokes? That’s what my neighbour told me and he watched GBNews so he knows what he’s talking about.

Urgh, this is going to be this elections “dead cat” isn’t it?

I think an actual dead cat would do less damage as PM than either of those two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-62385757

The shape of things to come....
I am not a Scot nor do I live in Scotland.
But to call the Scottish leader an attention seeker who should be ignored is hardly an acceptable thing to say.
In fact it comes over as inflammatory and makes the case for independence somewhat stronger.
She's a diplomatic time bomb. She can ruin international relations for the UK even more, in that sense building on from Boris.

Liz Truss has 34-point lead over Rishi Sunak, poll shows

A YouGov poll for The Times published last night showed that Liz Truss has a 34-point lead over her rival, Rishi Sunak, among Conservative party members.

The poll, which the paper said was conducted over the past five days, showed 60% support for Truss versus 26% for Sunak, with the remainder undecided. Almost nine in 10 Tory members have already made up their minds about who to vote for, it said.

The results of the poll suggest a significant widening of Truss’s lead. The last YouGov poll, carried out on 20 July, had support for Truss on 49% compared with 31% for Sunak. Truss is ahead of Sunak among all age groups, across different parts of the country and among men and women.

The poll also suggested that Boris Johnson would “easily beat” both Truss and Sunak if he were on the ballot paper, with widespread resentment among Conservative party members about the way he was ousted from office.

Sunak's decision to abandon Johnson when he did might be the deciding factor here. He probably figured resigning when he did would stand him in better stead with the public at a general election, but didn't figure that it would completely torpedo his chances amongst the weird cult that is the Tory membership.

Sunak's decision to abandon Johnson when he did might be the deciding factor here. He probably figured resigning when he did would stand him in better stead with the public at a general election, but didn't figure that it would completely torpedo his chances amongst the weird cult that is the Tory membership.
I was going to reply to the post above but it feels a more relevant to this - Its looking like the Tory membership is massively out of touch with the general public. They’re spending their time arguing about pronouns, public toilets, cutting corporation tax, attacking unions and cuts to the public sector at a time when people are more worried than hey have ever been about inflation, energy prices, the cost of living and climate change.