Next Spurs Manager

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Managers like Mourinho and Conte just isn’t what Spurs should be about.

They’re never going to win the league, or be able to compete with the top teams financially, so at least try to play good football, bring in some exciting players, and build a positive environment. Pochettino worked so well for that very reason.
Does Poch want to go back to Levy though?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Frank has said he’s very happy at Brentford
So he should be too. He's built a great environment, club and team.

It's a genuine feel good story.

Hell of a gamble to then go to Spurs...I mean of course it's a step up and of course it looks an opportunity...

But he could find the rug out from under him rather quickly if things don't start well...I think he'd be a genuinely interesting appointment if he's given time

Poch is the obvious choice but either of Thomas Frank or Big Ange would be dark horses and good appointments. Big Ange's high energy, high octane football would be some change from the tumescent dross served up under Mourinho or Conte. I am not sure Spurs have the players for it.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Brentford are with touching distance of European qualification. I wonder how much money Frank’s been promised in the summer to take them to the next stage or whether he thinks this is as high as he can get them?

CM

I find it really strange seeing names like Enrique and Tuchel being linked with the Spurs job. Going down the big name manager route has worked terribly for them with Mourinho and Conte. Spurs weren't as bad this time last season but they still only really got top 4 last season because us and Arsenal were nowhere near the level.

Spurs need a project type manager, who is happy to build towards something. Pochettino was that, although I'm not sure how great an idea it would be for them to go back to him either. Graham Potter would've been the right type before he got the Chelsea job - if they did a manager swap with Chelsea, I think both teams would be better off for it.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Poch has his eyes on Madrid I think
I have my eyes on Margot Robbie but I'm pretty sure my chances of landing a date with her are about as slim as Pochettino landing the Real Madrid job. :lol:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
You calling him a liar?

Be careful what you say next as you could face libel proceedings.
Being happy at the current job and potentially being open to new challenges aren't mutually exclusive though, are they?

I'm quite happy with my own job at the moment but if a rival company offered me a bigger position with a much larger salary, it would be difficult to say no.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Why should Enrique even go there? He’ll wait for one of the bigger clubs surely.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I think these names can be linked with the Spurs.

-Der Zerbi- has the potential to be an even better version of himself, playing attacking and attractive football
-Enrique- playing attacking and attractive football( debatable), short-passing style but could be direct a lot of times
-Tuchel- unidentifiable about his status or goals. Some resources say that he is on the process of learning Spanish for Real Madrid's manager in the future.
-Poch- his first stint with Spurs is beyond gratifying. Maybe he will come back.

I think the Spurs are well suited to a manager who can build the team and play attractive/ enjoyable football. It's a compatibility relationship.

devil99

Michael Carrick , Xabi Alonso or Frank
Frank Lampard

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Carrick would actually be a great shout in the summer. Sure, it’s early, but he has shown real promise, has a clear, cohesive style and has genuine ties to the club.

Tuchel is a tactician who would scoff at the quality of the current squad, they don’t have the players to play an Enrique style and Poch would feel like a regression to the past.

I think Carrick would be a genuinely exciting appointment and could help change the culture at the club.

CM

Carrick would have the feel of Frank Lampard when he got the Chelsea job. He's done a bit better than Lampard did at Derby so far, but it's one season in the Championship. It would be premature for a top 6 side to be taking a chance on him at this stage.

Vapor trail

Not exactly sure why Spurs would sack Conte what's the objective ? they don't have a team strong enough to contend for the league or UCL. At best a domestic competition would have been feasible. They are fourth though Liverpool have a game in hand and Spurs probably have enough firepower to finish above a sliding Newcastle. I don't get the urgency.

Maluco

Carrick would have the feel of Frank Lampard when he got the Chelsea job. He's done a bit better than Lampard did at Derby so far, but it's one season in the Championship. It would be premature for a top 6 side to be taking a chance on him at this stage.
I don’t see Tottenham on the same plain as Chelsea and the job simply doesn’t have the same pressure.

I think it would be worth the risk rather than spending a massive amount on another ill fit.

It’s a small sample, but what he has implemented at Middlesbrough is much more impressive than what Lampard did at Derby.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel does love living in London. He also loves managing a team. If Carlo stays at RM, I think Tuchel might consider it.

CM

I don’t see Tottenham on the same plain as Chelsea and the job simply doesn’t have the same pressure.

I think it would be worth the risk rather than spending a massive amount on another ill fit.

It’s a small sample, but what he has implemented at Middlesbrough is much more impressive than what Lampard did at Derby.
I do kind of agree with you, but I think it'd be sensible to see what Carrick can do in the Premier League first before taking that chance on him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I rate Enrique highly for the job he did at Barca. But club football changes quickly and six years seems like a really long time to put out of the mix. Are there any success stories where a successful manager goes away from club football for 5-6 years and then comes back and has a successful second spell? Managers like Conte and Van Gaal coached international football for very short 1-2 year spells before returning to club football but that is a different situation, more like a sabbatical. Sacchi managed Italy for 5-6 years and then went back to Milan but that didn't exactly end well.

Maluco

I do kind of agree with you, but I think it'd be sensible to see what Carrick can do in the Premier League first before taking that chance on him.
Arsenal didn’t wait with Arteta and, although there were growing pains, he has transformed their squad and has a vision for how football should be played.

I think Spurs taking a slightly longer term view and doing surgery on that squad could be the way forward.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I’d give Carrick more credit than that. He’s doing a great job at Middlesboro (almost Cooperesq). I like the fact he’s been strong enough to benched Isiah Jones who was the Boro fans darling last season. Fat Frank has underperformed everywhere he’s gone. Another great player who is turning into a bang average manager.

CM

I’d give Carrick more credit than that. He’s doing a great job at Middlesboro (almost Cooperesq). I like the fact he’s been strong enough to benched Isiah Jones who was the Boro fans darling last season. Fat Frank has underperformed everywhere he’s gone. Another great player who is turning into a bang average manager.
Of course, I definitely think Carrick has the higher ceiling as a manager. My point is that he's only been in that job for half a season.

It isn't typical for a manager to walk into a top 6 job with such little experience. I'm sure he will make a good manager in the future, but you've also got to earn the right.

romufc

Of course, I definitely think Carrick has the higher ceiling as a manager. My point is that he's only been in that job for half a season.

It isn't typical for a manager to walk into a top 6 job with such little experience. I'm sure he will make a good manager in the future, but you've also got to earn the right.
Agree. Alot of managers who have had 6-12 good months then get a bigger job when they clearly are not ready for it and get sacked.

I would like to see Carrick in the championship and if they get promoted then keep the job and see what he can do.

RVN1991

Managers like Mourinho and Conte just isn’t what Spurs should be about.

They’re never going to win the league, or be able to compete with the top teams financially, so at least try to play good football, bring in some exciting players, and build a positive environment. Pochettino worked so well for that very reason.
Agree completely, as someone mentioned earlier, Potter would've been perfect for the job and it would've been a way better fit for him than Chelsea which looks like is a step too high than where he is in his career arch right now.

The chap at Sporting or Thomas Frank should be the main targets but they'll probably go for Pochettino/Enrique/Tuchel which I think would all be mistakes for different reasons.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think it’s fairytale to think Enrique is an option.
Why?

Did well at Barca but that was with MSN at its absolute peak (and mid season of the treble season they weren't actually in that great shape). Beyond that his spells have been underwhelming at Roma and Celta Vigo so I wouldn't put him in elite manager bracket personally so don't see why he'd just dismiss a europa league club (and Spurs could still claim 4th if they can be bothered).

Think issue is Spurs will have weak forward line start of next season so it could be just like Spain, dominating the ball with little cutting edge, bit like when Spurs had Vilas-Boas.

In terms of profile then actually De Zerbi has a similar trajectory to Poch when he was at Southampton so would be interested if Spurs push on him although think he'll stay if Brighton make europa.

Outsider....Marco Silva....

I still think it will be Poch again though as that's the easier managerial sell to fanbase when team is in transition and realistically needs to be rebuilt for 12 months before it can challenge again for 4th.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Gallardo would be interesting. He's a very charismatic leader, which I think Tottenham urgently needs now.

ti vu

Tuchel would be a solid choice, I hope they go for Poch because funny.
It would be funny that Levy would sign another former Chelsea manager who has a record of fighting with president/chairman/the board about club transfer policy.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I honestly think Tuchel is their best chance at a cup. They probably still fail after Kane bails but anyone else and it'll curtains for years to come

432JuanMata

Thomas Frank what he is doing with Brentford is amazing and deserves the chance. Spurs don’t need a Jose/Conte as they short term managers that demand a budget but Spurs won’t give them that.
They need a Poch like in to get them steady top 4