Neymar | 2015/2016

Nucks

RT History Department
I honestly think we have a legitimate shot at getting him. There are a few reasons for this which I will outline.

1) Messi, Barcelona still have Messi, Messi is Messi, he's still the best. I don't think Barcelona is as soulless/brutally pragmatic as Real Madrid and opt to move Messi while he is still in his prime to clear way for the younger next big thing.
2) Because of Messi, Neymar cannot be the number 1 guy, nor will he be able to grow the way he could if he was the number 1 guy.
3) Is anyone bigger than United in a commercial sense? United is the gate keeper to the biggest endorsement market in the world.
4) United ticks all the boxes that Neymar would be looking for. Global appeal, commercial opportunity, money to pay him very well, club history.
5) Neymar is DEFINITELY looking to develop his brand globally. Can anyone do that better than United? Not sure they can.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I honestly think we have a legitimate shot at getting him. There are a few reasons for this which I will outline.

1) Messi, Barcelona still have Messi, Messi is Messi, he's still the best. I don't think Barcelona is as soulless/brutally pragmatic as Real Madrid and opt to move Messi while he is still in his prime to clear way for the younger next big thing.
2) Because of Messi, Neymar cannot be the number 1 guy, nor will he be able to grow the way he could if he was the number 1 guy.
3) Is anyone bigger than United in a commercial sense? United is the gate keeper to the biggest endorsement market in the world.
4) United ticks all the boxes that Neymar would be looking for. Global appeal, commercial opportunity, money to pay him very well, club history.
5) Neymar is DEFINITELY looking to develop his brand globally. Can anyone do that better than United? Not sure they can.
6 hypothetical wishful thinking points. He may end up at United, but hardly any of those reasons are legit reasons for him to leave at the moment.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member

You put the same reasons in 3 different numbers. :lol:

krazyrobus

The best way to build your brand is to be a successful footballer. i.e winning trophies in major tournaments seen by millions/billions. Barca definitely offer him more of that than utd do.

Secondly, why does he even need to build it, who at this point doesn't know who Neymar is. He plays for one of the top clubs in the world and one of the most celebrated national teams in the world.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The best way to build your brand is to be a successful footballer. i.e winning trophies in major tournaments seen by millions/billions. Barca definitely offer him more of that than utd do.

Secondly, why does he even need to build it, who at this point doesn't know who Neymar is. He plays for one of the top clubs in the world and one of the most celebrated national teams in the world.
Isnt the EPL the most watched football league in the world?. If its about building brands then surely playing in the worlds most watched league would help?

Roman Bellic

Prick

1) Messi is 28. They can definitely co exist, especially when his career begins to wane. Also unselfish.
2) Neymar doesn't have to be the number 1 guy immediately, probably isn't too fussed about it.
3) Whilst not as big as United in the commercial sense, Barcelona are still top 3 in the world and i really don't see what difference this makes to a player like Neymar who doesn't need a club to cash in on endorsements.
4) Barca also comfortably tick those boxes, again what major difference does this make?
5) See 3 & 4.

cyberman

1) Messi is 28. They can definitely co exist, especially when his career begins to wane. Also unselfish.
2) Neymar doesn't have to be the number 1 guy immediately, probably isn't too fussed about it.
3) Whilst not as big as United in the commercial sense, Barcelona are still top 3 in the world and i really don't see what difference this makes to a player like Neymar who doesn't need a club to cash in on endorsements.
4) Barca also comfortably tick those boxes, again what major difference does this make?
5) See 3 & 4.
He's going to be deployed out wide again when Messi returns. As Balague says he'll return to making off the ball runs and unselfish passes to feed the Messi machine and he and his camp aren't happy about this. It's a genuine concern for Barca fans and a talking point in Spain. Barca seemingly cannot afford the renewal of Messi and Neymars contract so are scrambling, even to the point of pulling out of the Nolito deal because they cant afford him. Their economic situation is a mess.
Barcelona are massive in markets that Neymar is already huge in, the in roads for Neymar to be on par with Ronaldo / Beckham etc is to crack the Asian market and in Asia the Premier League is king. Depay had more shirt sales then Neymar last year ffs.
There's also the massive tax issue that's holding everything back.
Are we that warped from the propaganda that we think Barca and Madrid players are so untouchable that they'll sign every world class talent and have them retire at the club? The TV deal next season will squeeze the life out of these clubs.

Roman Bellic

Prick
He's going to be deployed out wide again when Messi returns. As Balague says he'll return to making off the ball runs and unselfish passes to feed the Messi machine and he and his camp aren't happy about this. It's a genuine concern for Barca fans and a talking point in Spain. Barca seemingly cannot afford the renewal of Messi and Neymars contract so are scrambling, even to the point of pulling out of the Nolito deal because they cant afford him. Their economic situation is a mess.
Barcelona are massive in markets that Neymar is already huge in, the in roads for Neymar to be on par with Ronaldo / Beckham etc is to crack the Asian market and in Asia the Premier League is king. Depay had more shirt sales then Neymar last year ffs.
Are we that warped from the propaganda that we think Barca and Madrid players are so untouchable that they'll sign every world class talent and have them retire at the club? The TV deal next season will squeeze the life out of these clubs.
Valid argument(s).

Cait Sith

You're spreading lots of misinformation.

Depay hasn't sold more shirts than Neymar. The gossip papers obviously haven't explained it but those numbers are based solely on 1 particular shop's sales numbers and that shop happens to be located in England. Depay doesn't sell more shirts than Neymar and Coutinho doesn't sell more shirts than James Rodriguez.

Ballague? Neymar unhappy? Neymar came to Barca particularly to play with Messi. He repeatedly stated that as one of his main motivations: to play alongside Messi.

Everytime before a matchday Neymar posts on Instagram or Twitter the sentence: "May God bless us and protect us", everytime accompanied by a different photo which he puts up. Most of the time it happens to be a picture of him together with Messi. Like this:

Or this:

He's an absolute Messi fanboy.

El Zoido

Even if Neymar's role is reduced to accommodate Messi, it'll only be temporary. Neymar is younger and can take over when Messi can no longer produce at the same level. It would be in Neymar's interests to stay involved with the best side in club football.

cyberman

Lets be honest what is he meant to say? Screw that Argie midget?
Maybe all that fawning is part of the problem.
Plus I wouldn't call the Depay stat as tabloid nonsense since United announced it themseves when releasing their financials this year.
United are a huge club with a huge fanbase you know :)

Cait Sith

It's just the shirt sale numbers of Kitbag, which is a United Kingdom sports retailer with headquarters in Manchester. Sky reports it correctly: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...o-memphis-depay-the-top-selling-player-shirts

We've been in touch with kitbag.com to see which players are most popular when it comes to shirt sales - and it will come as little surprise that Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are vying for top spot.
If United used that for advertising purposes good for the club. Doesn't change the fact that it is has nothing to do with the real, world-wide sales numbers.

cyberman

It's just the shirt sale numbers of Kitbag, which is a United Kingdom sports retailer with headquarters in Manchester. Sky reports it correctly: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...o-memphis-depay-the-top-selling-player-shirts

If United used that for advertising purposes good for the club. Doesn't change the fact that it is has nothing to do with the real, world-wide sales numbers.
Kitbag Limited has the exclusive rights to operate the official online stores of Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Everton, Celtic, Sunderland, Manchester City, Nottingham Forest, Borussia Dortmund, Football Association/England team, British Lions (rugby), RFU (rugby), Le Tour, Wimbledon, Roland Garros, NBA, NFL, Open Tour and European Golf Store.[citation needed] Kitbag runs several retail stores.

There you go but we'll move on

Treble

Kitbag Limited has the exclusive rights to operate the official online stores of Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Everton, Celtic, Sunderland, Manchester City, Nottingham Forest, Borussia Dortmund, Football Association/England team, British Lions (rugby), RFU (rugby), Le Tour, Wimbledon, Roland Garros, NBA, NFL, Open Tour and European Golf Store.[citation needed] Kitbag runs several retail stores.

There you go but we'll move on
If you believe that Memphis sells more shirts than Neymar, well, any debate would be pointless...

cyberman

If you believe that Memphis sells more shirts than Neymar, well, any debate would be pointless...
It's not what I believe, it's a fact.
United have the largest fanbase in the world while Neymars shirt sales will be cannibalised by Messi.
Is it that hard to believe?

Treble

United have the largest fanbase in the world while Neymars shirt sales will be cannibalised by Messi.
It's very easy to see that it is not a fact. But go on with this bulshit.

RedStarUnited

The biggest reason of him moving will be the tax issue and wages. It hasn't been mentioned on this page but Barcelona are operating at a very high ratio of wages to profit. Messi is due a renewal soon, Neymar HAS to renew before next season or they suffer the potential of him going into the last year of his contract (in 2017). Now, how can Barca please both him and Messi with the contract renewals, whilst maintaining or lowering their already high wages to profit ratio? On top of that, they have to 'help' Naymar and his family with the whole tax thing.

cyberman

Did I make something up here? Is there a better source than the official online retailer of the biggest clubs in the world? The same company that's handled Nike etc online business?
But by all means call bullshit on official numbers with your well sourced and informed opinion

RedStarUnited

Take in what he is saying. Most people only buy one shirt per year for a team. Messi will still draw a large proportion of those who want to buy a Barcelona shirt. Memphis got the number 7 this year, a popular number amongst United fans.

Treble

Did I make something up here? Is there a better source than the official online retailer of the biggest clubs in the world? The same company that's handled Nike etc online business?
But by all means call bullshit on official numbers with your well sourced and informed opinion
There was a thread about these data several weeks ago. I presened there my arguments, I'm no going to repeat them here.

cyberman

There was a thread about these data several weeks ago. I presened there my arguments, I'm no going to repeat them here.
Your contribution to this thread has been invaluable.
Imagine every poster went into threads stating they wouldn't be giving their opinions on a topic.
Anyway that's enough of this

MDFC Manager

Nope, very easy to believe. I remember seeing loads of Owen7 shirts as well and thinking "wtf is going on?"

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even if Kitbag is an official retailer, sales worldwide give a better representation of the hierarchy between the most marketable players. To limit the analysis to Kitbag only is a bit pointless.

cyberman

Even if Kitbag is an official retailer, sales worldwide give a better representation of the hierarchy between the most marketable players. To limit the analysis to Kitbag only is a bit pointless.
?
Unless I'm reading this wrong it says they have exclusive rights to these clubs online shirt sales. It's not limited at all

Deleted member 78215

He always had a higher ceiling and I am not sure many could have argued with that. But there were periods over the past few seasons where they performed as good if not better than him. Now that he is fulfilling his potential, he is clearly a level above if not more.
Neither Hazard or Bale have performed at a level higher than Neymar.

Deleted member 78215

Btw, post reported for calling me twat for no reason, and saying I abused you just because I had different opinion.
You report him, yet you post this: you would probably shag the guy considering the love you show for him.

Irony.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Said the same thing during the Ramos saga, but this is quite similar.

When you take off the red-tinted glasses, its quite obvious why Neymar wouldnt want to leave Barca for United. People will convince themselves otherwise, but to this players already on massive wages and huge marketing stars elsewhere, a slight increase in that wont change that . To most players, Barca and Real hold far more prestige.Thats why those two have far more balon d'or winners than anyone. Throwing around a bunch of shirt sales numbers in Kazakhstan doesnt really change that.

I love United, but I'm realistic

Treble

Your contribution to this thread has been invaluable.
Imagine every poster went into threads stating they wouldn't be giving their opinions on a topic.
Anyway that's enough of this
Maybe, just maybe, you can see how stupid those kitbag based stats are if you read this:

https://www.footy-boots.com/top-10-highest-selling-player-shirts-18562/

Diego Costa is 3rd ahead of Messi who comes 5th.

One shouldn't rely on additional info like this to see the stupidity in playing the kitbag card here. A bit of logic would suffice. The argument that United is the biggest club and therefore Memphis could sell more shirts than Neymar contains simple mistakes.

Last edited:

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Maybe, just maybe, you can see how stupid those kitbag based stats are if you read this:

One shouldn't rely on additional info like this to see the stupidity in playing the kitbag card here. A bit of logic would suffice. The argument that United is the biggest club and therefore Memphis could sell more shirts than Neymar contains simple mistakes.
Just WOW!! I would have never thought Messi's kit would be so unpopular. I'm actually more surprised that it's Costa and ADM in 3rd/2nd position.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You report him, yet you post this: you would probably shag the guy considering the love you show for him.

Irony.
Yeah, because calling me twat for no reason and saying I abused him(like I am some kind of bully, wtf?) just because I didn't share same love for his hero is far worse than saying he might be in love with Neymar(when he actually got that tagline and everyone is well aware of that).

Cait Sith

Except they don't. Here is the article on the FC Barcelona homepage which confirms that Nike is running their official store:

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/article/official-fc-barcelona-online-store-now-at-nike-com

If you want to do the real life test, here is the link to the official FC Barcelona shop:

http://shop.fcbarcelona.com/

Guess where you get directed to once you select a country: to the Nike Store.

Don't know what that Wikipedia article (without citation) is supposed to mean but Kitbag certainly aren't running the official stores of the biggest football clubs on the planet. It's a small retailer owned by Findel which is a company with £ 500 million revenues.

cyberman

What does this mean? Costa and ADM made the most high profile moves to the most popular league in he world. Ronaldo shamelessly self promotes while Messi doesn't.
You don't seem to be saying anything here. Just because you have a hard time digesting this doesn't make it any less credible.

cyberman

Except they don't. Here is the article on the FC Barcelona homepage which confirms that Nike is running their official store:

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/article/official-fc-barcelona-online-store-now-at-nike-com

If you want to do the real life test, here is the link to the official FC Barcelona shop:

http://shop.fcbarcelona.com/

Guess where you get directed to once you select a country: to the Nike Store.

Don't know what that Wikipedia article (without citation) is supposed to mean but Kitbag certainly aren't running the official stores of the biggest football clubs on the planet. It's a small retailer owned by Findel which is a company with £ 500 million revenues.
You don't seem to understand their role. They don't compete with Nike ffs,

It has also had experience in running the official internet retail sites for other partners, such as Nike, Reebok, Umbro, FIFAand UEFA through merchandise agreements.[2]

They actually work together. I'm not claiming to be an expert here but it's pretty clear they're not some low level corner shop here..

Verminator

Ah, what Braziian doesn't dream of trudging the litter - strewn streets of Manchester in the pissing rain, appreciating the architectural delights of the Arndale whilst looking for a restaurant that serves brand - name brown sauce?
Toothless Scottish harmonica players shouting a chorus of "Gettifeck! " as they entertain the bourgeoisie in their jogging pants or fishing for shopping trollies on the Irwell banks?
God knows why he diverted to Barcelona on his way here. Maybe he hadn't seen the "Curry and a pint" deal that Weatherspoons were offering.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
This whole shirt sales talk is just pathetic. Using Kitbag's sales from July to September to justify that Memphis sells more shirts than Neymar, and concluding that automatically he just needs to come to the PL. Because you know, sells more shirts and stuff.