Neymar | 2015/2016

Lyricist

Inaki Williams's goal yesterday was miles better.
this

Neymar's goal was good but I think to suggest it should win the Puskas award takes it a bit far, especially considering that a better version of his goal was scored in the same league and even in the same week.

Treble

Neymar's much closer to Messi's level than people realise. He is scoring for fun now without relying on the service of two of the greatest midfielders ever in Xavi and Iniesta. And he is outperforming Messi at international level. It's not a coincidence that he's on course to beat Pele's record for Brazil at 27 :houllier:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Neymar's much closer to Messi's level than people realise. He is scoring for fun now without relying on the service of two of the greatest midfielders ever in Xavi and Iniesta. And he is outperforming Messi at international level. It's not a coincidence that he's on course to beat Pele's record for Brazil at 27 :houllier:
Messi looks a level above when they play together. Nothing to do with Neymar sacrificing his game either as Messi has altered his game for Neymar to succeed as well.

Skills

Snitch
Generally, I perform at neymar levels in the park. Nothing special really. Only real difference is that I am keeping it real by turning down 'professional' contracts and not going commercial.

Neymar is not a real artiste.
:lol:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Aye. It's very nice. But for all the hype I wouldn't put it on the same level as Bergkamp's against Newcastle, Ginola's for Newcastle or Gazza's against Scotland. Mainly because Neymar gets the ball in quite a bit of space, so the defender's playing catch-up from the start.
In fairness I don't think (m)any are saying it's at that level. Just that it's a great goal by someone who's in the form of his life right now.

Was a fan of his last season but even still I'm surprised at how much he's stepped up in Messi's absence.

Treble

Messi looks a level above when they play together. Nothing to do with Neymar sacrificing his game either as Messi has altered his game for Neymar to succeed as well.
Not sure abou that, given that Neymar is more productive in Messi's absence.

krazyrobus

FFS can't this whole England V Spain argument happen in its own thread and not in a Neymar thread. It's been 3 pages now.

JSArsenal

A few years ago, before the Barcelona move, a journalist asked Wenger if there was one player he would buy if money wasn't an issue who would it be and he said Neymar. Football managers can and do get it wrong from time to time but it was clear back then that Neymar was the next big talent to come out of Brazil. He's done better than expected in a team where he will always be the secondary figure as long as Messi is a part of it but the amazing part is, he's only 23 and could become much better. I'd wager he's going to be the next non Messi/Ronaldo Ballon D'or winner.

Barcelona have three of the world's best forwards all in the same team, it just isn't fair, although I'd rather that than Man Utd getting their hands on Neymar anytime soon.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I was there on Sunday! :drool:

Neymar's fecking brilliant, and I just love the ingenuity and creativity of the goal more than anything else. How many players are there out there who would even try something like that? Are there any in the Premiership who show imagination on anything like that level?

Was also hilarious comparing his performance to Ronaldo's v Sevilla a couple of hours later. Neymar's been clearly better this season, it's barely even close.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I was there on Sunday! :drool:

Neymar's fecking brilliant, and I just love the ingenuity and creativity of the goal more than anything else. How many players are there out there who would even try something like that? Are there any in the Premiership who show imagination on anything like that level?

Was also hilarious comparing his performance to Ronaldo's v Sevilla a couple of hours later. Neymar's been clearly better this season, it's barely even close.
He gave you your ticket's worth with Messi being injured. Perfect timing.

ThierryHenry

He gave you your ticket's worth with Messi being injured. Perfect timing.
Was great yeah. First half was a little dull but Neymar made it all worth it. Him, Suarez and Busquets looked a class above, clearly some of the best footballers I've ever seen live. Obviously Iniesta is up there with them all but he wasn't at his peak - aside from last year's CL run I haven't seen the best of him for a few years now.

Also - random question but what's the significance of the 17th minute for the Independence chants at the games? The crowd went wild in both halves at that minute with independence/ Catalonia screams. Aside from that (and plenty of howling at the ref!) the atmosphere was fairly tame, it was more of a family event than you see with British, or German crowds. Good and bad comes from that though, pretty cool to see 40-odd percent women at a football game. I'll be amazed if there's ever been that many women at a match in the Premiership.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Was great yeah. First half was a little dull but Neymar made it all worth it. Him, Suarez and Busquets looked a class above, clearly some of the best footballers I've ever seen live. Obviously Iniesta is up there with them all but he wasn't at his peak - aside from last year's CL run I haven't seen the best of him for a few years now.

Also - random question but what's the significance of the 17th minute for the Independence chants at the games? The crowd went wild in both halves at that minute with independence/ Catalonia screams. Aside from that (and plenty of howling at the ref!) the atmosphere was fairly tame, it was more of a family event than you see with British, or German crowds. Good and bad comes from that though, pretty cool to see 40-odd percent women at a football game. I'll be amazed if there's ever been that many women at a match in the Premiership.
I think 1714 was the last time they had independence, so it's at 17 minutes 14 seconds the flags are raised.

Cantona'sCollar

Considering Ronaldo has been extremely below-par this season, with Messi spending much of it injured, I do believe that Neymar has been the best player in the world this season. The other contenders would be Lewandowski & Aubameyang. I know many will disagree, but he has been insanely good since Messi's injury allowed him to be the main man.

It has happened every season since he joined Barca - Messi spends a few weeks on the sidelines and Neymar goes up several levels. It is obvious that he needs a move if he wants to become the true best player in the world, and that is why I don't think it is out of the question that he leaves Barca in the next year or two.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona

Iniesta was coming off a month long injury, but he looked sharp and added a much needed balance to the team.

As for the atmosphere, that's what you get with the success, cheap tickets, huge stadium, and of course the expectations of a "show". Many club ultras are banned as well from entrance. Barring the big games, the atmosphere is kind of a hit and miss.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Considering Ronaldo has been extremely below-par this season, with Messi spending much of it injured, I do believe that Neymar has been the best player in the world this season. The other contenders would be Lewandowski & Aubameyang. I know many will disagree, but he has been insanely good since Messi's injury allowed him to be the main man.

It has happened every season since he joined Barca - Messi spends a few weeks on the sidelines and Neymar goes up several levels. It is obvious that he needs a move if he wants to become the true best player in the world, and that is why I don't think it is out of the question that he leaves Barca in the next year or two.
He is not going to move, can see him becoming the face of that team as Messi ages. Just like Messi did with Ronaldinho, he'll bid his time.Got a ridiculous buyout clause and Barca dont sell with the only big star they've lost being Figo. Its just the media running with catchy stories, expect his peak to be at Barca.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He is not going to move, can see him becoming the face of that team as Messi ages. Just like Messi did with Ronaldinho, he'll bid his time.Got a ridiculous buyout clause and Barca dont sell with the only big star they've lost being Figo. Its just the media running with catchy stories, expect his peak to be at Barca.
Is it the ~£138m one? Because that's far from ridiculous, though I may be mistaken.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Besides, it's not as if it is a surprise to him that he is second fiddle to Messi.

Far more believable that playing with an all time great is a bigger draw for him than being the top dog.

InfiniteBoredom

There is a difference between Neymar's and Messi's circumstances though. By the time Messi is done, Neymar could be 27/28 himself. Hardly old, but that leaves much less time for him. A bad injury and he will enter his 30s without ever being the team's top dog.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
There is a difference between Neymar's and Messi's circumstances though. By the time Messi is done, Neymar could be 27/28 himself. Hardly old, but that leaves much less time for him. A bad injury and he will enter his 30s without ever being the team's top dog.
In a couple of years Neymar will be better then Messi and the team will be geared around him. Loads of time to show off his best.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I love the attacking trident we're spoiled with for a variety of reasons, not the least of which due to how much better they make eachother but I object to the galactico policy that got them together. They're better together than I would've ever imagined but I got more joy from Pep's version

cyberman

In a couple of years Neymar will be better then Messi and the team will be geared around him. Loads of time to show off his best.
Gotta disagree with this. in a couple of years Messi will still be in his prime and one of the worlds best, not a chance Barcelona marginalise him in any way.
If anything the team will have to work harder to cover an ageing Messi.
That's the same logic that told us Fabregas would bide his time and take over from Xavi. Barcelona aren't ruthless with their home grown players. Iniesta has been under performing for a while now and in his 30s yet no replacements are being suggested for him for example.

ThierryHenry

I don't really get the argument - it's not as if Neymar's a particularly selfish player, can't play in the same line up as Messi, or that Messi doesn't provide him with assists. There's no reason they can't shine in the same team for years to come, they have so far.

Also, I love how Neymar's completely copied Messi's diagonally chipped ball over the defence. They both seem so consistent at making that pass now as well (though with Leo obviously better).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I love the attacking trident we're spoiled with for a variety of reasons, not the least of which due to how much better they make eachother but I object to the galactico policy that got them together. They're better together than I would've ever imagined but I got more joy from Pep's version
That probably wasn't because of the attack but more about the midfield control Pep's team had. Your current attacking trio is the best I have ever witnessed at Barca.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
That probably wasn't because of the attack but more about the midfield control Pep's team had. Your current attacking trio is the best I have ever witnessed at Barca.
The attack, yes, I absolutely agree. I miss the buildup as much as the final product, I miss the way they could put teams in complete disarray once they moved it from the back. It's simply a preference of mine, I didn't mean to suggest I don't get joy from this team.

The attack is extraordinary, there's no question - I've never seen anything like it either. I was just watching Suarez' compilation from last season and it always leaves me speechless. It's something special, we'll just have to see how long it lasts since it's rare to keep something like this going nevermind at this level.

I thought all that was missing was for Neymar to step up his game more and now he is. As inconceivable as it may sound, it makes the possibility of getting better as a trident very real

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
I'm jumping into this argument a bit late, but Neymar's goal instantly reminded me of Pele's famous goal in the 1958 World Cup final. That goal is still regarded as one of the greatest goals in history, obviously given the fact that it was a WC final influences its legacy.

I also saw Inaki Williams' goal, and frankly I wouldn't want to take away from either one. Neymar's was possibly a bit more controlled, but Williams' was arguably more difficult. Both are among the greatest goals I've ever seen, not just this year but ever.