Nicolas Pépé

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Eh?

Liverpool went from paying £30m for Mane and £40m for Salah (Both of whom arrived with more pedigree than Pepe) to paying £75m for a centre half from Southampton and more than £60m for a keeper.

Madrid have just paid €100m for a nearly 30 year old left winger with one year left on his contract.
Liverpool signed salah, ox, richardson and keita in the same summer for a combined £130m plus were also trying to sign VVD for £50(had to wait 6 months and add an extra 25 for their trouble). Then spent £75m a year later on two players

Madrid spent 100m for eden hazard after a disastrous season. The same madrid that spent 100m for bale and offered 180m for mbappé

As i said, a change in mindset. One that in fact liverpool had from the beginning and influenced the other big clubs

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Liverpool signed salah, ox, richardson and keita in the same summer for a combined £130m plus were also trying to sign VVD for £50(had to wait 6 months and add an extra 25 for their trouble). Then spent £75m a year later.

Madrid spent 100m for eden hazard after a disastrous season. The same madrid that spent 100m for bale and offered 180m for mbappé

As i said, a change in mindset. One that in fact liverpool had from the beginning and influenced the other big clubs
:D

Jimmy_Bond

Liverpool signed salah, ox, richardson and keita in the same summer for a combined £130m plus were also trying to sign VVD for £50(had to wait 6 months and add an extra 25 for their trouble). Then spent £75m a year later on two players

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...ame-for-rise-in-transfer-fees-barcelona-chief

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well at the same time Barca's hierarchy blamed everything and anything on Neymar. They're not really unbiased with this even if Neymar's transfer played its role in a system that was going out of control year after year

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
The shot was horrific though. Amazing what we ignore from opposition players compared to our own.
I ignored it because it was his debut in an away game vs Liverpool. I liked the technical pieces I saw though so we will see.

I am not in a hurry to possibly ridicule myself later on because I am chomping at the bit to make quick hugely negative assumptions about a player I don’t know based on his PL debut because he is not our mega money buy and I hope he fails.

Jimmy_Bond

I am not in a hurry to possibly ridicule myself later on because I am chomping at the bit to make quick hugely negative assumptions about a player I don’t know based on his PL debut because he is not our mega money buy and I hope he fails.
This is what this board was doing all summer with this guy (amongst many others).

Ps. It was his third game :)

Jimmy_Bond

So they say. I repeat, if somebody is willing to check we can see whether fees have indeed gone up and by how much
You really need to check if fees have gone up since 16/17?

I mean, all summer you've been quoted £150m for a player we signed that very summer for £89m who has hardly been a resounding success in his time here.

Jimmy_Bond

Well said. If you can't judge a player in a new league after one start and 150 total minutes when can you?
Exactly mate. There was nothing tongue in cheek about the quoted post at all.

Half the people on here clearly can't read.

I've said on numerous times he will probably go on to be a good player, but there has been nothing in his career so far nor in his limited showings in the PL to date to suggest he is worth the money paid nor the hysteria from our fans during the summer transfer window due to us not going for him.

People simply quote small sections of long posts to remove context and pick arguments.

Would I have been happy if we'd have signed Pepe? Considering our need for a RW, yes.

Would I have been happy if we'd have signed him for £72m? Not really. Considering our recent record with big money signings, it would have felt like a big risk on somebody with no proven track record to speak of other than one very good season in France aged 24.

And like I said earlier, if he was that good, considering the dire need some of Europe's top clubs have for right wingers, he'd have signed for somebody bigger/ better. Munich passed on him due to concerns about his ability to function in a league where you get less space than France (and before you ask, I've already posted a link during the window. Google it as it's very easy to find if you haven't already seen it) whilst Madrid and United (who could have signed him ahead of Arsenal pretty easily given our financial resources) didn't get involved despite his club's best interest to use those names to drive up the price.

Maybe they've all missed a trick and he'll go on to be the next big thing? Who knows. I'm happy to wager he won't live up to the fee though. Personally I think that money would have been better spent shoring up your defence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I ignored it because it was his debut in an away game vs Liverpool. I liked the technical pieces I saw though so we will see.

He did completely make VVD look silly with one excellent piece of skill. Based on the clips I saw of Pepe, he didn't appear particularly all that impressive but people seem to rate him highly so let's see how he does.

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal

I've said on numerous times he will probably go on to be a good player, but there has been nothing in his career so far nor in his limited showings in the PL to date to suggest he is worth the money paid nor the hysteria from our fans during the summer transfer window due to us not going for him.

People simply quote small sections of long posts to remove context and pick arguments.

Would I have been happy if we'd have signed Pepe? Considering our need for a RW, yes.

Would I have been happy if we'd have signed him for £72m? Not really. Considering our recent record with big money signings, it would have felt like a big risk on somebody with no proven track record to speak of other than one very good season in France aged 24.

And like I said earlier, if he was that good, considering the dire need some of Europe's top clubs have for right wingers, he'd have signed for somebody bigger/ better. Munich passed on him due to concerns about his ability to function in a league where you get less space than France (and before you ask, I've already posted a link during the window. Google it as it's very easy to find if you haven't already seen it) whilst Madrid and United (who could have signed him ahead of Arsenal pretty easily given our financial resources) didn't get involved despite his club's best interest to use those names to drive up the price.

Maybe they've all missed a trick and he'll go on to be the next big thing? Who knows. I'm happy to wager he won't live up to the fee though. Personally I think that money would have been better spent shoring up your defence.
Calm down Jimmy. We won't know how good this guy can be until he's settled in the team and that takes time. To be likening him to Gervinho after 150 minutes in the league is a bit silly. I've seen your Bayern logic before and don't agree with it but it certainly is one way to gauge transfers. I assume you believe Perisic is that good right? Bayern loaned him so he must be.

Regarding value for money I don't think any player today can justify their fee given the utterly absurd figures around. There's no point in fixating on them and instead just look to see if the player improves their new team. If they do then they're worth the money. Is Pepe worth the money? No idea but we'll find out as the season progresses.

Bearded One

Calm down Jimmy. We won't know how good this guy can be until he's settled in the team and that takes time. To be likening him to Gervinho after 150 minutes in the league is a bit silly. I've seen your Bayern logic before and don't agree with it but it certainly is one way to gauge transfers. I assume you believe Perisic is that good right? Bayern loaned him so he must be.

Regarding value for money I don't think any player today can justify their fee given the utterly absurd figures around. There's no point in fixating on them and instead just look to see if the player improves their new team. If they do then they're worth the money. Is Pepe worth the money? No idea but we'll find out as the season progresses.
Spot on, mate.

Jimmy_Bond

I'm not likening him to Gervinho based on 150 minutes. I used the comparison as their career paths (and stats) in France were very similar prior to joining Arsenal. I'm sure he'll be better than him, but I suspect closer to that level than to a level of a player like Mane (which no Arsenal fan has suggested by the way, but our own United fans were making out we'd missed out on a player of this level. All my posts on the matter have been aimed at United fans and their hysteria as a result of us not being in for him, but as there are so many Arsenal fans here they've decided to get involved for one reason or another).

Regarding my "Bayern logic," it's not my logic (I had literally never seen him play prior to arriving, and I'm sure VERY few United fans had done either, making their hysteria even more ridiculous). That's the reason they didn't sign him. Whether or not they are correct I don't know, but what I do know is you get more space in Germany than here, so it's certainly a concern. In reality their number one target was always Sane, who is obviously a better player. I suspect the Perisic is just a stop gap until he recovers from injury, Perisic certainly was "that good," but what his level is like now I'm not so sure.

One thing that is clear is that Pepe is nowhere near the finished article. If he does go on to be a resounding success at Arsenal there's nothing to say he would have been here as our manager hasn't yet demonstrated he is able to develop players and take them to a top level. Hopefully he will do, but the jury is still out.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal

I'm not quoting this post specifically but I'm quoting your opinions on this thread in general.

I think your assessments make sense in a forceful way, but applied logically especially in regards to other factors involved it's bordering on over the top. To be honest, using these opinions you've given on Arsenal, we could easily apply it to United no?

Remember we are the Arsenal. We are not City or United and will never compete financially on the same level, our signings have never really been ready made super stars unless a good value opportunity comes along (ozil/sanchez). Our owner doesn't invest personally in the club and we generally have a modest and cautious spending policy. Paying close to £50 million on Lacazette for a striker is nothing. Top strikers command a significant premium, due to limited supply and high demand.

For Giroud, when he left we needed a quicker, younger and slightly more adaptable striker. Giroud was always our plan B option for a lot of games due to his impressive aerial ability. We knew Sanchez wanted to leave at that point so a replacement was essential. We had a look at Higuain but didn't want to pay the fee I think. At that time who else was available? I think Lacazette is a good signing considering the size and financial status of the club (at the time). Can't really think of anyone else who would have performed marginally better without diminishing our returns?

The same applies to the French NT, Giroud got the nod ahead of Lacazette due to his different traits/strengths as a striker. He offers a unique aspect in his game play compared to Lacazette and logically was the obvious back-up option in tightly contested games when they needed to switch tactically? Why pick Lacazette for the NT when you have better players in Mbappe and Griezmann? Again Arsenal realistically have no chance of signing the two I just mentioned...

Now for Pepe, hes just started his first game against arguably the best team in the world right now. A little harsh to judge him as a B rated player. I agree he will never be a Ribery or Robben etc. but the kid has showed flashes of his skill and we expect him to improve the Arsenal team somewhat. If he gives us what Arsenal have lacked for years - a natural dribbler who can beat a man and help us elevate to a 4th CL spot i'd be ecstatic. From there, we can then look into acquiring higher caliber players.

I'm genuinely excited for Pepe and I hope he has a decent season. We've seen flashes of his skill against Liverpool however he seems a little raw. I fully expect him to integrate in the PL and become a key player for Arsenal.

Reactions: JPRouve

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You really need to check if fees have gone up since 16/17?

I mean, all summer you've been quoted £150m for a player we signed that very summer for £89m who has hardly been a resounding success in his time here.
I think they went up, but it would be interesting to see if that's indeed the case and by how much

As to Pogba, the main difference between 2016 and 2019 is the financial power of his club, and his wages. Signing a big player from a big club is certainly more expensive now, because those clubs are richer. I think the neymar transfer set a benchmark for the top top players in the market, and altered the market for the rest by acting as proof of the big clubs' spending power.

But in general, the neymar transfer was a symptom, not the cause, for the inflation. The cause of the inflation is clubs are richer then ever and keep getting richer

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Still early days but showed some great skill, not that many players will give Robertson a tough time like that at Anfield. Could have had two goals so disappointing he didn't score but to be fair he did create both chances himself. Still plenty to come from him and he also has plenty to still prove.

Regarding my "Bayern logic," it's not my logic (I had literally never seen him play prior to arriving, and I'm sure VERY few United fans had done either, making their hysteria even more ridiculous). That's the reason they didn't sign him. Whether or not they are correct I don't know, but what I do know is you get more space in Germany than here, so it's certainly a concern. In reality their number one target was always Sane, who is obviously a better player. I suspect the Perisic is just a stop gap until he recovers from injury, Perisic certainly was "that good," but what his level is like now I'm not so sure.
If they were in for Sane (and looked like they had a good chance of signing him), why would they have made a move for Pepe?

Jimmy_Bond

If they were in for Sane (and looked like they had a good chance of signing him), why would they have made a move for Pepe?
They were scouting Pepe throughout last season as they knew they had to replace two wingers (Robben and Ribery) but in the end opted against it for reasons previously stated.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
As far as I'm aware they were only trying to sign the one wide player for this season, Gnabry's was one of their stand out players last season.

RooneyLegend

They were scouting Pepe throughout last season as they knew they had to replace two wingers (Robben and Ribery) but in the end opted against it for reasons previously stated.
Their reasons will prove to be rather foolish in the end. Bayern have been going backwards for years, they are no great barometer of anything at this point in time. Lacazette not starting has alot to do with Arsenal having two very good strikers and a coach who hasn't got the ability to find a system to fit both in.

He's easily been worth the fee. He's among arsenals 2 best players pre Pepe as we don't know where he'll be. Btw you probably could've written all of this about Mane before the Pool transfer and he got to work with a great coach in a great system.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Of course they did. World record went from £90m to £200m. Players like Dembele suddenly cost £120m and Coutinho £130m. They would have cost nowhere near this pre Neymar. Note how I said "pretty much" and said that "£55m became £80-90m." Not quite double is it? But well on it's way. Hence me saying "pretty much."

The case in point is that pre Neymar a Maguire-esque player would have cost around £50m. Post Neymar? £80-90m. Pretty simple.
Do you disagree?[/QUOTE]

Do you actually believe this? That the Neymar deal pushed up the prices of all other players or do you think it's more likely the growth of TV revenue and value of top clubs in reality pushed up prices? I mean I could see the argument it pushed up the price teams would demand off Barce knowing they had 220m in their backpocket but not for other teams. For the record, Lacazette went the same window as Neymar as did Lukaku (90m), Morata (60m) and ofcourse Mbappe who was what 150m?

Higuain had just scored more goals than games in his final season for Napoli in Serie A. In his time with Napoli scored 71 in 105 games in a better league than France and in a league notoriously difficult to score goals. In his peak, he was a MUCH better player than Lacazette, and a regular for his country.

Diego Costa was and is a much better player than Lacazette and only cost Atletico £5m more than Lacazette cost (having scored 52 in 80 Premier League games and winning the title).

Lukaku left United with a record of a goal every 178 minutes (as you like your stats like this, or as I prefer 28 league goals in 66 appearances) but considered a flop.

Morata was obviously a waste of money and has been a massive flop.

Tell me then, considering the inflation of transfer fees post Neymar, how much would Lacazette have cost in today's market? Would his record justify that fee? If you're seriously telling me that he'd have cost Arsenal the same money now than then, you're having a laugh. His record is not that of a man who cost such money, and his impact has not been that which was expected.

Ndombele this summer just cost £55m - £60m. Are you saying he would have cost the same the summer than Lacazette signed for Arsenal, and pre Neymar? Of course not. He's have been around £20m - £25m cheaper.
Costa has been washed up since he left Chelsea, Higuain was good for a season before being washed up. I think we got much better value buying a player that will give us 6 years of his prime and while selling Giroud he cost 30m net. In fact in the same season we also sold Walcott and Chamberlain for 55m. So while 50m for Lacazette was significant it still represents value when you consider the business other teams were doing, bar Liverpool.

Last season Laca got a goal or assist every 112 minutes, season before a goal or assist every 121 minutes. They're good if not outstanding numbers.

Lacazette doesn't score as much as Aubameyang but he contributes much more to linking up attacks and build up of play. In case you forgot he earned the penalty that Aubameyang scored against you at the Emirates last year. He's the opposite of Lukaku in that respect. United under Fergie always had a plethora of attacking talent to be called up off the bench or when players were injured or tired and it obviously was a part of your success. Lacazette is a great rotational option, or starter and a great option off the bench.

Your comparison of Gervinho to Pepe is a lazy one and I can just as easily compare Pepe to Hazard. In terms of first touch, technique, close control, dribbling, vision he is clearly worlds apart from Gervinho. Also we've managed to upgrade our wing option for 40m net in selling Iwobi, who was our version of Lingard. The main issue with Pepe now is his lack of physical strength, which means he needs to adapt to the league.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Better feet but more raw (decision making and feel for space is not good) than I expected.
I will give him benefit of doubt. New team and getting to learn his new team mates. He has shown he can play throughballs. Played auba in twice last 2 games. He already had 4 shots and is getting in shooting positions. He also shown great feet. Really interesting to see how he fares
I'm not likening him to Gervinho based on 150 minutes. I used the comparison as their career paths (and stats) in France were very similar prior to joining Arsenal. I'm sure he'll be better than him, but I suspect closer to that level than to a level of a player like Mane (which no Arsenal fan has suggested by the way, but our own United fans were making out we'd missed out on a player of this level. All my posts on the matter have been aimed at United fans and their hysteria as a result of us not being in for him, but as there are so many Arsenal fans here they've decided to get involved for one reason or another).

One thing that is clear is that Pepe is nowhere near the finished article. If he does go on to be a resounding success at Arsenal there's nothing to say he would have been here as our manager hasn't yet demonstrated he is able to develop players and take them to a top level. Hopefully he will do, but the jury is still out.
The jury is out because he has started 1 PL game and has total of 150 mins in PL. Its like you are looking for reasons to justify your view that he is not good enough. Hell he can be meh all season and still wont be flop because a lot of players really show their true class in the season in the Pl like Drogba, bernardo silva etc etc. He just came to the league and has already shown he can beat players and be havoc. On paper its hard for me to see a player like pepe who has speed, great dribbling ability and can score goals fail in the PL. Unless there is some clear mental weakness we are not aware of.

Jimmy_Bond

I will give him benefit of doubt. New team and getting to learn his new team mates. He has shown he can play throughballs. Played auba in twice last 2 games. He already had 4 shots and is getting in shooting positions. He also shown great feet. Really interesting to see how he fares

The jury is out because he has started 1 PL game and has total of 150 mins in PL. Its like you are looking for reasons to justify your view that he is not good enough. Hell he can be meh all season and still wont be flop because a lot of players really show their true class in the season in the Pl like Drogba, bernardo silva etc etc. He just came to the league and has already shown he can beat players and be havoc. On paper its hard for me to see a player like pepe who has speed, great dribbling ability and can score goals fail in the PL. Unless there is some clear mental weakness we are not aware of.
For goodness sake. Read what I've written. I've said a million times I think he'll be a good player. However, all of my points revolve around how there has been nothing to suggest the hysteria from out own spoilt fans was justified during the summer, who were making out this guy was some kind of superstar despite never seeing him play.

Once again, people seem incapable of absorbing any post that is longer than a couple of sentences.

Oxeki

Supports
Arsenal
I think it will be pretty foolish to conclude that a player who has barely played 3 games or even 180mins will be a failure.

Let's wait till he has gotten enough games before judging.
I understand the need to make a negative opinion on a big signing because it makes us sound cool and knowledgeable about football, but the truth is nobody can tell if he'll be a success or a bust.

I remember my Utd friend laughing at Liverpool for signing mane. The following year I still remember saying salah was not good enough for man Utd and his resaon being the usual "if he was good enough, why did no other club go for him?"

Pepe is great player who will addressed our need for creativity from the wings.

I don't get the Gervinho comparison at all. just because they're both Ivorians and they both played for Lille doesn't make them the same player.

I'm very excited about the signing, I can't wait to see what brings us

crossy1686

career ending
The only alarming thing I've noticed about Pepe so far is how painfully one footed he is. Apart from that it's still too early to judge the guy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Btw you probably could've written all of this about Mane before the Pool transfer and he got to work with a great coach in a great system.
Problem for Pepe however is, Arsenal don't have either.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
For a guy who cost 80M and is already 25, people aren't demanding a lot from him. "He did well, did some fancy tricks and shot into the goalkeeper". For that price I would expect some end product like Sadio for instance.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Another thing is sometimes certain things just fall into place for transfers, for example Spurs signing an excellent player Ndombele in with little to no competition.

For a guy who cost 80M and is already 25, people aren't demanding a lot from him. "He did well, did some fancy tricks and shot into the goalkeeper". For that price I would expect some end product like Sadio for instance.
He actually 24 and he could cost up to £72m..... He's only started one game and that was away to the European champions, so a bit early to start saying he should be producing like Sancho

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
He played one match at Anfield. Jesus...

Sky12

Supports
Chelsea
In as much as it hurts me to say this, I think he will be a great buy for Arsenal

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
For goodness sake. Read what I've written. I've said a million times I think he'll be a good player. However, all of my points revolve around how there has been nothing to suggest the hysteria from out own spoilt fans was justified during the summer, who were making out this guy was some kind of superstar despite never seeing him play.

Once again, people seem incapable of absorbing any post that is longer than a couple of sentences.
We seen him play though. He played in lille....not in Moldovan league. There is extensive video footage of him on youtube that gives clear picture of what type of player he is. You sound like the type if fan who was looking down on mane when lvg wanted him because he hasnt done it in big club yet.

Jimmy_Bond

We seen him play though. He played in lille....not in Moldovan league. There is extensive video footage of him on youtube that gives clear picture of what type of player he is. You sound like the type if fan who was looking down on mane when lvg wanted him because he hasnt done it in big club yet.
Good old youtube footage eh? Where would we be with out it?

Yeah, the French League is shit mate. Talking of the LVG reign, how did Falcao do here? Cos he's been banging them in in that league since he left. Some decent youtube videos of him knocking around as well.

You sound like the kind of fan who bases his knowledge on FIFA ratings and compilation videos.

If you're incapable of rustling up any kind of coherent argument, stay out of it mate. I've explained why I'm happy we didn't spend £72m on Pepe. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Are you entitled to disagree? Of course. But try to stay away from insults and wild presumptions about what kind of fan I am.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Good old youtube footage eh? Where would we be with out it?

Yeah, the French League is shit mate. Talking of the LVG reign, how did Falcao do here? Cos he's been banging them in in that league since he left. Some decent youtube videos of him knocking around as well.

You sound like the kind of fan who bases his knowledge on FIFA ratings and compilation videos.

If you're incapable of rustling up any kind of coherent argument, stay out of it mate. I've explained why I'm happy we didn't spend £72m on Pepe. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Are you entitled to disagree? Of course. But try to stay away from insults and wild presumptions about what kind of fan I am.
Falcao arrived just rehabing from an ACL. It's madness to criticize his output because of that. It takes a while to get back to your best after something like this. A bit of context isn't a bad thing

fps

Well the problem is that almost all the misses mentioned weren't good in Ligue 1 in the first place.
Oh my days, just let it go. The other poster has clearly won this argument.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
What a boring argument in here.

Can’t wait to see more of Pepe, he looks like the most exciting player we’ve had since Alexis could run.