Number 10 shirt | Rashford officially our new #10

Snafu17

For me, there are only 2 iconic shirts. #7 and #11. I say that because squad numbers came in in 1994 or there about, so even though others wore the number earlier, it was a positional thing and not a player thing. Cantona made #7 iconic. Giggsy makes #11 an iconic number. Those are the numbers that should be earned. And since Giggs left, no one has actually earned 11. I hoped that Martial would be worthy of #11, but don't think he has lived up to it so far. Perhaps an argument can be made for #10, but for me it hasn't reached that status yet.
You could argue Beckham, Sheringham, Ruud, Rooney and Ibrahimović is a better collection of players compared to Giggs, Januzaj and Martial.

Coops73

Give it to Erikson after we’ve swapped him with Martial.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Only player that could handle the responsibility is Lukaku imo. He has the right mentality to take it but I doubt he cares too much about it when he has #9.

Really hope Willian doesn’t take it if he joins although it’s only a number so it doesn’t really matter haha.
Responsibility for the number 10 shirt ? I didn't realise it required responsibility.

Also your username should be SolkskjaerHasWonIt.

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Responsibility for the number 10 shirt ? I didn't realise it required responsibility.

Also your username should be SolkskjaerHasWonIt.
Well it's arguably just as iconic as the #7 considering it has been worn by our top goalscorer of all time and has been worn by so many other great players.

And yeah but that was taken haha.

pacifictheme

You could argue Beckham, Sheringham, Ruud, Rooney and Ibrahimović is a better collection of players compared to Giggs, Januzaj and Martial.
The point with the 7 is that it had cantona, beckham and ronaldo. 3 unbelievable talenta. And its associated with best and robson.

11 was the shirt number for one player for 20 years.

10 has been worn by so many (admittedly excellent) players but is not on the same level. Ibra was one season at the end of his career, sheringham was never the star player, or even close, rooney divides opinion and love him or not, we were at our best before and after ruud played for us (one league title and 2 domestic cups won in his 5 seasons), plus he left under a cloud. And no one associated beckham with the 10 shirt.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
11 is iconic because it was one of Georgies numbers and Giggs was his heir apparent. It was a big deal back then. Giggs was not our first famous 11.

The 10 shirt means naff all in English football for most teams. It's a number, not a position here.

mykelawrence

He might have said it to be polite or for whatever reason at the time mate, it's possible. But i do think Beckham pushed for the no7 shirt. There was even talk Ferguson didn't want him to have it.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f...Alex-Ferguson-David-Beckham-iconic-No-7-shirt

I remember reading something about Fergie wanting Keane to have the no.7 shirt because he didn't want Beckham to have it!

That might have been said tongue in cheek, come to think of it.

Red_Ramirez

I remember reading something about Fergie wanting Keane to have the no.7 shirt because he didn't want Beckham to have it!

That might have been said tongue in cheek, come to think of it.
That's true actually, I think it was in Keano's and/or Fergie's book.

Keane was Fergie's first choice to wear the number 7 but Keane was happy with his number 16.

SecondFig

I get what you're saying but Rooneys most exciting years were in the 8 shirt.

Our 10's of note;
Rooney
Ruud
Teddy
Hughes
Whiteside

It's not until you get to Whiteside that you get anywhere near what a number 10 is, and even then it's a stretch.

I'd rather celebrate our own iconic shirts (7&11) and let other clubs have their famous 10's. The shirt has never been a big deal.
Totally agree - even the 11 is (for me) some way below the 7, and even the bloody No.7 has only really been considered iconic since Eric and the start of fixed squad numbers. Yes great players wore the 7 (and the 10, and the 11, and the 8 etc.) but until the 90s players wore multiple numbers. Best is one of our iconic number 7s, but he wore 11 more than 7.

I'm sure Andy Mitten wrote a piece on how the whole "iconic 7" is a 90s invention that the club happily adopted as it helped market players and shirts...

So no, the 10 is not a big deal. It's just a number - one that should indicate a player is a forward (no bloody defenders wearing 10) and one who plays regularly (first XI). But not something that Rashford needs to earn - he plays, give it to him.

Beagle

People actually want it to go to Mata or Rashfrord? Mata is on borrowed time and won't be here much longer and I haven't seen anything from Rashford to think that he's up to lacing Rooney's boots, never mind having his shirt. Save it for a signature signing or someone who steps up and deserves it.
Not just your username though is it? Deserve Rooney's shirt? :lol:

Fer

What? Where have the first three names come from?
Those are the players I would love too see using the No.10 shirt for United (in that order). Unfortunately, they are unrealistic.

It's like saying that I want Bale or Dembele as our right winger, not going to happen but one can dream.

It seems that we are just going to sign a CB. So, I hope that defender is Alderweireld instead of Mina.

dave1956

Shirt numbers, years ago indicated your position on the team programme, 9 centre forward, 4 right half, 8 inside right, 5 centre half, now its a squad number. Did wearing 7 or 11 make George a better player, did wearing 9 put Tommy Tailor in the club scoring records, did 5 make Jackie Blanchflower one our best centre halfs or Roger one of our outstanding captains and full backs, plus Duncan Edwards played in every position for utd., including goal keeper, so what number should he have had.
No a shirt number does not make you a better player, dedication, a willingness to listen to advice and improve makes you a better player, plus the fact that when you pull on that red shirt regardless of what number is on the back you are are the best club in the world and it will get no better as many players who have left for greener pastures have found out.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Shirt numbers, years ago indicated your position on the team programme, 9 centre forward, 4 right half, 8 inside right, 5 centre half, now its a squad number. Did wearing 7 or 11 make George a better player, did wearing 9 put Tommy Tailor in the club scoring records, did 5 make Jackie Blanchflower one our best centre halfs or Roger one of our outstanding captains and full backs, plus Duncan Edwards played in every position for utd., including goal keeper, so what number should he have had.
No a shirt number does not make you a better player, dedication, a willingness to listen to advice and improve makes you a better player, plus the fact that when you pull on that red shirt regardless of what number is on the back you are are the best club in the world and it will get no better as many players who have left for greener pastures have found out.
Now a days it’s just an honour to wear particular numbers. Having the #10 shirt is important to some players, in a way it demonstrates how important that player is to the club.

manuchamp88

In an ideal world, Bale would be signed to replace the outward bound Martial as no.11, Lukaku switches to no.10, Rashford takes no.9.

In a slightly more realistic world, Perisic will be signed to replace the outward bound Martial as no.11, Lukaku switches to no.10, Rashford takes no.9.

In a probable world, Willian will be signed for an exorbitant fee on the last day to replace the outward bound Martial as no.11, Rashford takes no.10.

Sterling Archer

Now a days it’s just an honour to wear particular numbers. Having the #10 shirt is important to some players, in a way it demonstrates how important that player is to the club.
Plus it's got to be one of the more popular numbers fans put on their jeresys, regardless of the club.

Kind of surprised we don't have any eye catching new signing to don the jersey and boost some of that revenue our owners care about so much.

Lennon7

The big news Ibrahimovic was referring to should be our number 10. If no big signing is made Zlatan looks a right tool.
Did he actually say ‘big news’? I think he was just implying big things are happening at United, as in the plan for the season.

Bestietom

So 7, 10, and 11 shirts to be filled. To me numbers don't matter these days, but I certainly would like a duplicate of some of the players who filled these shirts in the past. Then we are talking Premiership and Champions League material.

Red00012

In an ideal world, Bale would be signed to replace the outward bound Martial as no.11, Lukaku switches to no.10, Rashford takes no.9.

In a slightly more realistic world, Perisic will be signed to replace the outward bound Martial as no.11, Lukaku switches to no.10, Rashford takes no.9.

In a probable world, Willian will be signed for an exorbitant fee on the last day to replace the outward bound Martial as no.11, Rashford takes no.10.
Who says Martial is leaving ?

stevoc

So 7, 10, and 11 shirts to be filled. To me numbers don't matter these days, but I certainly would like a duplicate of some of the players who filled these shirts in the past. Then we are talking Premiership and Champions League material.
Did we sell Sanchez and Martial ?

Lennon7

Good news Rashford getting #10. Shows Mourinho intends on sticking with him and letting him feature a lot more.

Infact, with Martial seemingly on his way out with no replacement, Rashford could be a regular starter this season.

El Chino

Pogba. He's meant to the the playmaker in the team and he can play between the lines as well.