Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Oh look, let’s compare Ole to SAF because the world’s greatest manager in history as the standard barometer to measure success and is totally realistic.

Foxbatt

I do understand why he has to be upbeat about his squad. I just hope he gave Ed and Co hell that he did not get the players he wanted behind closed doors.
The main reason is that he wanted players who were not interested in coming to a mid table club to be coached by a minnow in the coaching world.
If he had been realistic he would have been able to get players who are better than what he has now.
This is something the Ole supporters very conveniently forget.
He has gone on record to say that the players he wanted was not available or not willing to come to play for United so that's the reason he didn't buy anymore players.
I can't see any logic in keeping someone like him. For what?

Florida Man

The main reason is that he wanted players who were not interested in coming to a mid table club to be coached by a minnow in the coaching world.
If he had been realistic he would have been able to get players who are better than what he has now.
He has gone on record to say that the players he wanted was not available or not willing to come to play for United so that's the reason he didn't buy anymore players.
Because a lot of people here seem to think that if you give a manager enough time, he’ll turn into the next SAF and win league titles for many years. You can tell by the way posters keep bringing up this bullshit comparison with him because it took him 6 years to win the league even though they forget that:

it was the 80s then
SAF actually had previous success in Scotland with Aberdeen
SAF was a one of a kind manager
There are countless examples that sacking bad managers until you have a good one is a working strategy

Foxbatt

Because a lot of people here seem to think that if you give a manager enough time, he’ll turn into the next SAF and win league titles for many years. You can tell by the way posters keep bringing up this bullshit comparison with him because it took him 6 years to win the league even though they forget that:

it was the 80s then
SAF actually had previous success in Scotland with Aberdeen
SAF was a one of a kind manager
There are countless examples that sacking bad managers until you have a good one is a working strategy
Yes I agree that Woodward is an imbecile to give the job to him. Woodward has not his due diligence.
Realistically would anyone give the position of the manager of the biggest club to someone who has never coached at such a big club?

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Ole deserves respect, he is a United legend as a player. But he will never manage to make United great again for 2 simple reasons. 1. He has not got a clue what to do as a manager, his tactics take a back seat to any decent manager. 2. He will never have the final say in any signings or sellings. Ed Woodward is the brakes on anything he may decide. An example being his comments about Sanchez shortly before he was loaned out to Inter. The problem that Unite have is still there hanging around like a bad smell. The owners and their "tool" Ed Woodward are the problem.

Florida Man

Yes I agree that Woodward is an imbecile to give the job to him. Woodward has not his due diligence.
Realistically would anyone give the position of the manager of the biggest club to someone who has never coached at such a big club?
It’s so terrible to think about in hindsight but I can’t totally blame him at the time since Ole had that great initial run of wins. I do blame Woodward for not being ruthless once it became clear that Ole was out of his depth.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We also beat Chelsea themselves 4-0.
You can't hold onto that 1 match for the rest of the season.
The truth is that we are currently 14th place.
Why are people coming up with excuses for Ole? If he loses tomorrow, he will be proven, beyond doubt, worse that Moyes.

hn4manunited

High level football isn't about risk. It's about tactical approach which to our blind eyes seems to be taking risk.

City didnt score 100 goals because they took more risk, but because they're well drilled.

Taking riskier approach might work in an odd moment, but over the course of 38 games we cant rely on taking risk alone.
Good post. You’ve nailed it. Good successful football teams don’t take risks just to try to score unless it’s a last ditch effort at the end of the game to force a result. Most are calculated risks which are like you pointed out tactical appor
Why are people coming up with excuses for Ole? If he loses tomorrow, he will be proven, beyond doubt, worse that Moyes.
There not an IF for tomorrow. It’s a WHEN.

Andy Hill

If Woodward and Ole swapped roles could we do any worse? Might just be a cunning plan. Worth a try.

fergiesarmy1

Whether your right or wrong what difference does tomorrow’s game mean long term? He’s playing the best team in the league without 3 of our best players, 3 new players and some dodgy players. You could put pepfergusklopp in charge tomorrow and the outcome is likely to be the same.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It was in response to a post picking out Chelsea best results to say how great Lampard is.

Why does tomorrow's game 'prove' anything? A game everyone expects us to lose because Liverpool have better players than us.

He doesn't need excuses it's just basic football knowledge that we have a squad not fit for purpose whatever manager is in charge.

Banana Republic

Lose tomorrow, which most of us are expecting and dreading, and anything short of 3 points away at Norwich next Sunday, means we have a 50/50 chance of dropping into the relegation zone (18th).
On a more positive note. If by some miracle we beat the Scouse and then win away at Norwich, we'll be just below the top 4.
Which of these are you more confident of?

Rista

Winning or losing tomorrow doesn't make much of a difference, but surely at some point the squad not being good enough stops being an excuse. It should absolutely be good enough to be doing much better than we have so far. Even then, Ole himself shares some of the blame for the state of the squad.

hobbers

Win or lose tomorrow he's already proven to be a worse manager Moyes. Moyes was a disaster with us and a disaster in Spain and a disaster with Sunderland, but Ole was an even bigger disaster with Cardiff relative to expectation, especially in the Championship, and thus far been an even bigger disaster managing United. As far as the set of all managers who have been at big clubs, the pair of them are the absolute pits. They make Liverpool's appointments of Hodgson and Dalgleish look shrewd and aspirational in comparison.

TrustInOle

Definatley deserves more respect with his name, people forget history to focus on the present. Club legend who I have no doubt is trying is hardest for the club. Whether that is enough, is a different question, and regardless of the answer, his respect should remain in tact.

Not his fault if he wasnt up to the task, even some of the best managers in the world couldn't get us going. Questions need to be directed to the people who are supposed to be recruiting the football brains to get us back near the top at least.

Reactions: SteveJ

The_Midfielder

He might be a poor manager .. but his recruitment this summer has been good.. we spent money.. but we didnt spend any money on Over the hill players like Sweinsteiger, Sanchez, Matic.. whom you do not know what to do in 2 years ..
We brought young hungry players and created spaces in the team.. now comes the big task.. how do we fill in the spaces ?? .. If we buy good, young players for midfield and striker/ rw, and if they start performing ..I believe we will have a good team even if Ole leaves ...

CR1

Just wanted to say that I fully agree with the OP/article, as I have already stated and further detailed in various other threads.

TrustInOle

He might be a poor manager .. but his recruitment this summer has been good.. we spent money.. but we didnt spend any money on Over the hill players like Sweinsteiger, Sanchez, Matic.. whom you do not know what to do in 2 years ..
We brought young hungry players and created spaces in the team.. now comes the big task.. how do we fill in the spaces ?? .. If we buy good, young players for midfield and striker/ rw, and if they start performing ..I believe we will have a good team even if Ole leaves ...
I completely agree with this. His recruitment has been fantastic, cleared out the ones who didn't want to be here, whilst giving the youth a pathway to the first team.

Even if he fails, he is leaving a good foundation for whoever comes next to build from.

elánius

Not really. Maguire was long time goal and Mourinho already wanted him last summer, Ed didnt want to pay, so he payed even more this year. AWB was the only possibility this summer and everybody knows that Young never was and never will be classic defender, AWB is good defender, but he gives close to nothing for the offence and thats the problem. He is still young, but his progress should be really big if he wants to be one of the best RB in PL. And James is mid table transfer.

Cathy Ferguson

Which players have Ole improved? Lindelöf? James?

Anyone can spend 50m on a RB and 80m on a CB, both proven in the PL.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That is exactly the kind of thing which would've been said about D.Moyes, when he was stinking up this place.
I called it even before the season started that this guy was not fit to manage such a big club.
After he got fired, he got a job in Spain (got fired, quickly), then took a club in the EPL to relegation (was it Sunderland?).

The truth is that there simply is not an excuse to be in 12th place after 8 games.
Moyes was bad, but Ole is worse (breaking negative records which even Moyes did not break).
I certainly never said anything like this for Moyes, he inherited a much stronger squad and had too much time if anything - he was also failed in the transfer market though

Hes also not a United legend who deserves more respect

AFC NimbleThumb

This./

Going into the season with this squad is ineptitude of the highest order.

Numerous players who are better than what we currently have [& have scope to improve further *cough * Tielemans * cough*] were available this summer.

Womp

idiot
This has been mentioned a million times - you don't need great players to see progression. Klopp had a fecking dire team when he first took over Liverpool, but you were starting to see the evolution of their game. Teams in the relegation zone are playing better football than us, they don't have a worse squad than we do, even with all our injuries.

Also, all this talk about how shite our attack is, but Ole was the one that chose to spend a world record fee on a defender and a right back, whilst selling our only established striker. He even spoke about how it was what he wanted to do, on multiple occasions. He's also the one who is preferring to go with the Mata's, over the Greenwood's and the Gomes' etc.

All these decisions are his. Frankly, he is shite tactically, his decisions in game are always far too late, he doesn't have any clue as to change the direction of the game when we are against it, the players look more clueless than they ever have in regards to offensive play and we are on course to fight relegation.

Maguire alone is probably worth more than some of the teams we are competing against in the relegation zone. It's ridiculous that we are still even arguing this, it's almost as if people want us to be shite.

The EPL at it's current climate has the best players and the best managers in the World, managers who have proven they can improve World class players and make them even better, this isn't about the fecking quality of the players because I can guarantee you if you were to give Liverpool or City's squad to Ole, they'd still be shite.

We need a world class team AND a world class manager if we want to compete in this league for the forseeable future and at the moment, we have neither.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You cant have that much squad churn in one window - need some kind of continuity even at the start of a rebuild, a lot of players left this year and clearly we needed more players not less in the end. But long term the likes of Matic, Mata and Young will be replaced by younger models and I would trust Ole to identify the right players for the club.

There are definitely issues on player contract side of things though - rumblings from the likes of Evra and Herrera at the way contract extensions were handled and questionable players getting extensions to keep their market value but then blocking up valuable space on the wage bill when no one will take them. Again this is not under the manager's control but at least they managed to get DDG to extend, could be seen as a positive sign that he liked Ole's ideas for the future. Pogba is the next one who needs to commit for the long term rebuild or be replaced ASAP.

The injuries thing is really bizarre and its not a new thing either - Ole had a load last season and we had a crisis under LvG that derailed a season as well. Always assumed it is just bad luck but when it happens that often then you do wonder what is the cause.
I keep seeing this theory promoted, that too big a change in one summer is too risky. I wasn't proposing wholesale changes. I was of the opinion that we could have done with getting rid of 8-10 and buying 5 whilst promoting the youth, especially in the Europa League. I still think that would have been a progressive and practical way to go about things. (A list of players that could have been aggressively pimped out from the start of summer could have been: Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Lukaku, Alexis and one of the two midfielders Ole doesn't trust).

Leverage? This summer they nominated him as the man to lead a long term rebuild and gave him £150m to buy his players. 2 months into the season they should sack him? This is a multi billion pound organisation. What sort of long term strategic planning is that?

Even if what you say is correct and they get a "better manager pursuing the same ideals", what message does that send to the next manager? We want long term strategy, we want you to think long term and sign players for the future rather than a quick fix. But if you have poor results for 2 months you'll get sacked.

If you look at the recent club appointments and those rumoured to be in the running for the Technical Director role, there is a very strong impression that the club wants people with United connections in key positions at the club.

The spiel about "culture" is about bringing back "the old Manchester United mentality". If the "better manager pursuing the same ideals" needs a United connection, there genuinely may not be one out there.

If Ole gets sacked as manager, I dread to think what they will do next.
Nice framing. Having long-term plans rules out making changes along the way when you realise you've made a mistake then? And can Ole's faults really be exhaustively described as 2 months of poor results? I dispute that. I'm fine with showing patience when we are going about things the right way, it will take time, regardless of who is in charge. But it seems to me what we've got our hopes tied to are buzzwords and slogans from Ole, but nothing tangible on the football pitch where it really matters. And I'm not talking about results, I am talking about performances.

The bit about the club wanting United people in these roles I think just shows how haphazard this whole thing is. There is no clear vision. It's made up as they go along. Interviewing Rio and Darren Fletcher for a role they've not got any experience for is an even bigger leap than appointing a manager who had not one impressive thing on his managerial CV. Seems to me that they really do not want to change the structure but my hope is that this shitfest of a season will create enough external pressure and general ridicule (that's thankfully started to happen) that they are forced to actually hire competent people to do the jobs they clearly cannot do.

Mr PG

It’s not about Ole but United. We should hire and fire as many managers as it takes to get it right... plain and simple. Look at Madrid and Chelsea.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I keep seeing this theory promoted, that too big a change in one summer is too risky. I wasn't proposing wholesale changes. I was of the opinion that we could have done with getting rid of 8-10 and buying 5 whilst promoting the youth, especially in the Europa League. I still think that would have been a progressive and practical way to go about things. (A list of players that could have been aggressively pimped out from the start of summer could have been: Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Lukaku, Alexis and one of the two midfielders Ole doesn't trust).
Doubt you will find any top club getting rid of 10 players in one window - its just not practical, dont forget we already lost Herrera and Fellaini before the window opened. That kind of major surgery has to be done over 2-3 windows minimum.

It’s not about Ole but United. We should hire and fire as many managers as it takes to get it right... plain and simple. Look at Madrid and Chelsea.
Neither are clubs that we want to copy, we are better than that - although Chelsea this season are actually following a worthy blueprint for the first time with focus on youth but that's an anomaly in their usual way

POF

Nice framing. Having long-term plans rules out making changes along the way when you realise you've made a mistake then? And can Ole's faults really be exhaustively described as 2 months of poor results? I dispute that. I'm fine with showing patience when we are going about things the right way, it will take time, regardless of who is in charge. But it seems to me what we've got our hopes tied to are buzzwords and slogans from Ole, but nothing tangible on the football pitch where it really matters. And I'm not talking about results, I am talking about performances.

The bit about the club wanting United people in these roles I think just shows how haphazard this whole thing is. There is no clear vision. It's made up as they go along. Interviewing Rio and Darren Fletcher for a role they've not got any experience for is an even bigger leap than appointing a manager who had not one impressive thing on his managerial CV. Seems to me that they really do not want to change the structure but my hope is that this shitfest of a season will create enough external pressure and general ridicule (that's thankfully started to happen) that they are forced to actually hire competent people to do the jobs they clearly cannot do.
I am not saying that Ole's problems are just 2 months of bad results. There were some worrying signs last season. But this summer, they decided he was the man for a long term rebuild after his 6 months in the job last season. They gave him £150m to spend, cleared out many players from the squad and called it a long term project.

So, what has changed between summer and now? When he was the man to lead the rebuild to now when he should be sacked? I'll tell you. 2 months of bad results.

I don't think Ole is perfect by any means. But at this point, he is United's best chance of being successful. He at least embodies the strategy that they are currently trying to implement.

If he's not successful, I have no idea where the club will go next and even sadder than that, I don't think they know either.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am not saying that Ole's problems are just 2 months of bad results. There were some worrying signs last season. But this summer, they decided he was the man for a long term rebuild after his 6 months in the job last season. They gave him £150m to spend, cleared out many players from the squad and called it a long term project.

So, what has changed between summer and now? When he was the man to lead the rebuild to now when he should be sacked? I'll tell you. 2 months of bad results.

I don't think Ole is perfect by any means. But at this point, he is United's best chance of being successful. He at least embodies the strategy that they are currently trying to implement.

If he's not successful, I have no idea where the club will go next and even sadder than that, I don't think they know either.
If there is competency there somewhere, his successor is being planned for next summer. And the hope is he can prevent the club from an unmitigated embarrassment of a season until then. That's where I'm at with it at least. If we continue to look absolutely clueless, then we probably do need to find another interim manager, but that's far from ideal, or easy. He could do with 2 players in January, but he could probably also do with a coach or two who are proven and he can delegate to.

POF

If there is competency there somewhere, his successor is being planned for next summer. And the hope is he can prevent the club from an unmitigated embarrassment of a season until then. That's where I'm at with it at least. If we continue to look absolutely clueless, then we probably do need to find another interim manager, but that's far from ideal, or easy. He could do with 2 players in January, but he could probably also do with a coach or two who are proven and he can delegate to.
He needs some better players. At least 3 in midfield and attack to have a squad that is fit for purpose. Even that won't be enough to compete in multiple competitions if the current injury situation persists.

passing-wind

I cannot believe the number of supporters spouting the “he needs time” line.

Its utter fecking bullshit. Time will not fix the biggest problem with Ole, that he is tactically dreadful and a terrible manager.

I cannot think of a single club in any division in world football that would keep Ole after our run of form since March.
It's staggering how fickle some perspectives are.

If Solskjaer was the manager of any of Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City I'd be seriously hoping he'd stay there as long as possible while laughing up a lung. What an embarrassment, after we have seen the nonsense of Dalglish and Liverpool our club / fans have chosen sentimentality over sense.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Sacking Ole would be the worst thing we could possibly do..

Surely we ALL should realise this by now.

We have hired and fired great coaches - among the best there's ever been in Europe - and they couldn't get this right.

That's because it is impossible to run our football club, the way we want it run, whilst winning things straight away. IMPOSSIBLE!

Our fans need to calm t'feck down. Relax. Let one manager transition the squad and rebuild.

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

I swear there are people on here who have not considered how our last two managers did - even though they had won almost everything in the game before coming here - and I also swear there are people on here who don't realise how our only eras in our history (there are only two) that we dominated actually came to fruition. It took each manager 5-6 years to build this football club into a consistently winning club.

That's because our fans ask for too much.

We WANT attacking football.
We WANT quick football.
We WANT to achieve the above whilst also bleeding in youth.
We WANT our managers to have a youth team player in every match squad.
We WANT to have the best academy on the planet.
We WANT attack, attack, attack!

If you want all those things - which I do - then you have to have the patience to allow such a system to work; just like Sir Matt did, just like Sir Alex did. If we want to be this club - and not a Chelsea or a Real Madrid, for example (who chop and change managers every 2 seasons and who don't operate like we do as a club - and who don't bring through youth as part of their structure) - then you need to give a manager - whoever he is - the years it takes to run that kinda football club and make it work.

We all know this. Or we should given our recent and distant history.

If you want our club to win things how we win them, by using the list above, then you need to calm down and give Ole time and patience to get all of the cogs in the system YOU want to work (this is how we dominate as a club, not just win the odd title and cup here and there, like Chelsea).

But if you want our club run like Chelsea - where we hire and fire and buy and sell and win the odd thing and then finish 6th and then hire the next best manager out of Italy for no reason - fine.. go ahead and keep calling for managers to be sacked. But you'll only be doing it on Forums.. nobody at Old Trafford called for the head of any of our managers. Because they all know HOW they want our club to work.
Hate to tell you bro, we signed world class managers at the end of their careers and when they failed the solution isn't signing cardiff & molde's elite manager.
The solution is hiring an upcoming manager on the cusp of world class.
Like nagelmann klopp or pochs.

Moyes (Club made a sentimental blunder, fired too late, fired after top 4 became mathematically impossible )
Lvg (outdated, fired even after delivering a trophy because top 4 incidentally became mathematicaly impossible )
Mou (hired too late, club was desperate, needed to please fans, delivered a trophy, fired i think after the hopes of top 5 became distant)
Ole (to be fired after top 10 became a real possibility)
The reduction of expectation and fall from grace is slow, smooth and steady.
Its like manufactured.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Currently sitting 14th, and if not for the goal difference we will be on 16th. Yes, i do believe that he sure needs just a little bit more time to take us to the red zone.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Because playing Newcastle away (who treat united as a cup final) is the same as Chelsea playing Newcastle at home?
Currently sitting 14th, and if not for the goal difference we will be on 16th. Yes, i do believe that he sure needs just a little bit more time to take us to the red zone.
Our form has been in the red zone for over the past 7 months in all competitive games. Positionally now only we are there. And this management team of geniuses let go our most established striker and instead passed on baton to martial, a 18 year old and to an inside forward rashy. We will stay there for some time yet, i'm afraid. Criminal.

Un4givableB

This has been mentioned a million times - you don't need great players to see progression. Klopp had a fecking dire team when he first took over Liverpool, but you were starting to see the evolution of their game. Teams in the relegation zone are playing better football than us, they don't have a worse squad than we do, even with all our injuries.

Also, all this talk about how shite our attack is, but Ole was the one that chose to spend a world record fee on a defender and a right back, whilst selling our only established striker. He even spoke about how it was what he wanted to do, on multiple occasions. He's also the one who is preferring to go with the Mata's, over the Greenwood's and the Gomes' etc.

All these decisions are his. Frankly, he is shite tactically, his decisions in game are always far too late, he doesn't have any clue as to change the direction of the game when we are against it, the players look more clueless than they ever have in regards to offensive play and we are on course to fight relegation.

Maguire alone is probably worth more than some of the teams we are competing against in the relegation zone. It's ridiculous that we are still even arguing this, it's almost as if people want us to be shite.

The EPL at it's current climate has the best players and the best managers in the World, managers who have proven they can improve World class players and make them even better, this isn't about the fecking quality of the players because I can guarantee you if you were to give Liverpool or City's squad to Ole, they'd still be shite.

We need a world class team AND a world class manager if we want to compete in this league for the forseeable future and at the moment, we have neither.

Preach

No, amount of spending by Ed will change the fact that OGS is 2nd rate, the ELP isn't Ligue 1 where we could spend ourselves into the Champions League, backing OGS is just delaying the inevitable.