g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær's Cardiff Press Conference | Updates from 9am

SteveW

For me the issue would be that Fergie's been out of the game for a while now, and we need to move on as a club.

But OGS seems like a strong guy and Fergie knows the mess the club got into with Busby.
I don't see any evidence of Fergie meddling though.

He can surely give the benefit of his experience and knowledge when asked. He's the best manager of all time. Ole would be mad not to pick his brains from time to time.

JohnnyKills

Yes. That is very fair.
We are where we are so let us be positive and hope that the only way is up.

My main hope is that the players get their heads down and give significantly more effort and far more important play as a team.
We'll get more effort as an absolute minimum.

JohnnyKills

Not from Manchester so I'm just curious for those of you who are: I definitely hear the Scandinavian undertone sometimes but if you close your eyes I feel like I'm hearing a Manc speak the way he pronounces names etc.
Nah, a Mancunian (or anyone from the UK really) would say he sounds foreign. But yeah he's definitely picked up the twang.

OldPop

Even though no one knows how it goes for the team in the future, we can already be sure that the coach can conduct an entire press conference without being unpleasant. Had someone claimed that a few days ago he had been declared an idiot.

As a fan, I think it's wonderful to hear Ole describe what he wants to do with the game, the players and the team. Like a fresh wind that makes it easier to breathe.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really think people underestimate this about management. It's not just about tactics, but getting everyone going in the right way.
I don't know. Pochettino and Zidane don't seem charismatic personalities to me. I think you can motivate and communication without being a huge personality and all that jazz.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
1. Because him not being involved hasn't exactly worked out for us

2. Because the current manager wants him to.

Pretty fecking simple
What's pretty fecking simple that supporters like you fail to understand;SAF has retired,he's had a serious operation.He's earned the right to a rest.

Yes, he'll chat to Ole because they're friends these days but if he needs to go running to his ex boss all the time then he doesn't deserve the opportunity

Handré1990

I don't know. Pochettino and Zidane don't seem charismatic personalities to me. I think you can motivate and communication without being a huge personality and all that jazz.
There are many ways to the top, it is however a big advantage to be a popular and liked figure as a leader, much easier to fall in behind a personality like that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The main thing is respect but I think it's plain to see the effect that real motivation can bring.

Member 90887

11 points behind now with 60 left to play for. Say we win 16 and draw 2 of the next 20 losing only 2. We'd need both Chelsea and Arsenal to only win 14 and draw 2 whilst losing 6.

For reference they've lost 2 and 3 respectively so far
We play Chelsea at home, so it's really a 3 games swing.

Chelsea have to go to City as well. It's gonna be a little difficult for them as well.

Arsenal have to go to City if I remember correctly, they have to go to anfield as well as Wembley with spurs.

So there may be some chances. Let's see. The important thing is to believe in it until it's not possible.

There's no reason that the team that finished second last year can't overtake two teams that didn't strengthen more than us.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We play Chelsea at home, so it's really a 3 games swing.

Chelsea have to go to City as well. It's gonna be a little difficult for them as well.

Arsenal have to go to City if I remember correctly, they have to go to anfield as well as Wembley with spurs.

So there may be some chances. Let's see. The important thing is to believe in it until it's not possible.

There's no reason that the team that finished second last year can't overtake two teams that didn't strengthen more than us.

Say they lost all their top 6 games remaining, that would be 5 losses. We need 4 already without losing any games ourselves. I admire your optimism however, it just is too unrealistic for me to hope for.

I'll be happy with some good attacking football and enjoying matches again. Bonus if we get past PSG in the CL and I expect a decent FA cup run

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I wish OJS the absolute very best. Hope he knocks the socks off it so much that they have to give him the permanent job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There are many ways to the top, it is however a big advantage to be a popular and liked figure as a leader, much easier to fall in behind a personality like that.
Yes but to be liked and popular you don't necessarily need to have a big personality. By all accounts Mourinho was not loved at United and Pochettino was at Spurs. Of course Mourinho is the far better manager overall but I don't think there's a blanket rule that works.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not from Manchester so I'm just curious for those of you who are: I definitely hear the Scandinavian undertone sometimes but if you close your eyes I feel like I'm hearing a Manc speak the way he pronounces names etc.
I read an interview with him a long time ago when he described his son as a more genuine Mancunian whose Manc accent was more authentic than his.

And to think he grew up a Liverpool fan. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Say they lost all their top 6 games remaining, that would be 5 losses. We need 4 already without losing any games ourselves. I admire your optimism however, it just is too unrealistic for me to hope for.

I'll be happy with some good attacking football and enjoying matches again. Bonus if we get past PSG in the CL and I expect a decent FA cup run
He's got absolutely nothing to lose by attacking PSG with everything we've got;like Liverpool did last season in the UCL

Inigo Montoya

I read an interview with him a long time ago when he described his son as a more genuine Mancunian whose Manc accent was more authentic than his.

And to think he grew up a Liverpool fan. :lol:
The Pope and the Noggie PM have forgiven him,so I can

red thru&thru

Sorry for the touch of negativity, but I'm a bit worried about how much he's talking about Fergie. He referred to him as the Gaffer yesterday. Feel like this could be a repeat of the Busby situation where the old manager's pulling the strings behind the scenes. Everything else looks great though.
Only for 6 months.

We should definitely not be employing Ole in summer, as we had no genuine intentions to originally. We all know Poch is the next man who should take over us.

quethenoo

Ole looks a lot like Andy Serkis.:lol:

Feeling quite happy to see our manager smile and talk about attacking first and worry about results later. As opposed to Jose wearing an expression like the milk got spoilt.
I was just thinking that as I watched it! Glad it's not just me.

Edit: about Andy Serkis I mean, although I agree with the rest an all ;)

Last edited:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
As a fan I'm so fecking pumped up for the game tomorrow now after seeing his positivity and enthusiasm. Can you imagine how the players must feel? Expect the players to put on a brilliant show tomorrow. I can't wait!

Handré1990

Yes but to be liked and popular you don't necessarily need to have a big personality. By all accounts Mourinho was not loved at United and Pochettino was at Spurs. Of course Mourinho is the far better manager overall but I don't think there's a blanket rule that works.
Agreed, but the post you replied to only mentioned getting people pulling together. This is where a positive personality will have the greater impact.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
You’re sure? Two managers aged 45 being appointed 32 years apart in circumstances when the club is struggling for success, without any apparent causal connection, seems to fit the definition of coincidence to me.
They were both strikers to. Spooky.

lysglimt

Scout
Fred’s been in the stands more than on the bench, surely? So yeah, Ole it is. And, umm, you do realize Ole spent almost a decade mostly on the bench!
Stuart Taylor is coughing loudly as to who has spent most time on the bench of him and Ole :)

ash_86

Oh man I feel unleashed. I'm so looking forward to tomorrow's match now. Let's fecking blast them .

Red_Legion

The boom/bust cycle for the current United is like 2 games. I"d like to be more optimistic but I think this lot aren't up to much. As much as I hated Mou's cagey tactics, I still question the mentality of our current players.

Hoping for the best cause I want Ole to do well but the cynic in me can't see past the fact that these players were complicit in our current state just as much as Mou was. Excited for the game nonetheless, the anticipation of possibly having a mini upturn in fortunes and maybe less sleep inducing football is a great feeling.

Pughnichi

To be fair, Ole is far further on coaching than Giggs was. Ole has coached United's strikers, then managed reserves and then Molde (and Cardiff). He's won Cups and leagues. He's no novice. Giggs was.
Solskjaer also has a personality

Water Melon

Just watched the video of Ole and the coaching team getting ready for the training session. Ole's eyes are shining, they are literally sparkling. Hope this new coaching team are a true and long-term success. They are all red through and through. Forget about Peps, Klopps, Pochs, Jardims and Zidanes of this world. Just imagine seeing Ole, Carrick, Kieran and Phelan in the dugout leading us to trophies on the united way.

SteveW

What's pretty fecking simple that supporters like you fail to understand;SAF has retired,he's had a serious operation.He's earned the right to a rest.

Yes, he'll chat to Ole because they're friends these days but if he needs to go running to his ex boss all the time then he doesn't deserve the opportunity
You're being daft. First you act like he's meddling when he prob just had a chat with Ole. Then you act like his input would be a hindrance because of Moyes. Then you suggest people are asking him to have an active role when all anyones has said is theres no problem with Ole picking his brain from time to time. You seem confused

Edit: I may be confusing you with another poster here. Johny something? So part of the above may not apply to you. Either way you're still badly misrepresenting what I've said in this thread.

Last edited: