Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Martinez? Did you see his mistake against Liverpool, it was worse than any Onana has made this season
and it's the only one he's made from what everyone has said... pretty likely to be in quite a few pundits' team of the season

Pickle85

Too funny but where is the one with him making saves or doesnt that exist?
It was a discussion about why comparing ddg when he joined with Onana when he joined is a nonsense. That video shows some absolute howlers from earlier in his career...problem is he hasn't tightened up that side of his game significantly whereas ddg grew into the role. Onana should be in his prime ATM...comparing him to a 20 year old goalkeeper that's just left his home country to live somewhere else for the first time is silly.

alexthelion

Yea, and hence why onana concedes significantly more goals too. 84 and counting for the season. Well done. Pity we won't hit the 100 mark, or will we??

My issue with him is across the season there are many simple saves which he doesn't make. DDG's last season wasn't remotely as bad.
What? It was worse ffs.

The Bloody-Nine

Strange response to the original question?
I already responded to the original question. If it's obvious that a player or manager isn't good enough, then get rid of them. Why on earth would you give them multiple seasons?

Another poster provided the example of Taibi. If it were up to you we'd be seeing his sweatpants for three seasons. Thankfully the manager recognised the issue and dealt with it.

Litch

It was a discussion about why comparing ddg when he joined with Onana when he joined is a nonsense. That video shows some absolute howlers from earlier in his career...problem is he hasn't tightened up that side of his game significantly whereas ddg grew into the role. Onana should be in his prime ATM...comparing him to a 20 year old goalkeeper that's just left his home country to live somewhere else for the first time is silly.
DDG never came off his line, rarely saved a pen and was shocking at one on ones. DDG retained his superhero power of shot stopping and unfortunately Onana doesnt have one. That said, lets not have amnesia about DDG but thats not the point.
Im not saying hes the answer, just saying its a bit early to say he isnt. Also bar a couple of questionable shots he could have done better with, the second half was better than the first.

Last edited:

Litch

I already responded to the original question. If it's obvious that a player or manager isn't good enough, then get rid of them. Why on earth would you give them multiple seasons?

Another poster provided the example of Taibi. If it were up to you we'd be seeing his sweatpants for three seasons. Thankfully the manager recognised the issue and dealt with it.
And ironically the same manager some fans didnt have patience with either. If fans had their way, he'd have been not here to sack Taibi in the first place...

The Bloody-Nine

I wasnt and you know that. Its about being patient especially when a player arrives at a club in turmoil
I've seen enough of him to realise that he's not good enough. I don't need to see another season of it. We can agree to disagree.

Pickle85

DDG never came off his line, rarely saved a pen and was shocking at one on ones. DDG retained his superhero power of shot stopping and unfortunately Onana doesnt have one. That said, lets not have amnesia about DDG but thats not the point.
Im not saying hes the answer, just saying its a bit early to say he isnt. Also bar a couple of questionable shots he could have done better with, the second half was better than the first.
At Onana's age, DDG was one of the best in the world. What are you even arguing?

RedRocket9908

At Onana's age, DDG was one of the best in the world. What are you even arguing?
He was one of if not the best shot stopper in the world at one time but he was never at any point one of the best all round goalkeepers in the world as he struggled with most of the basics of modern goalkeeping.

The Bloody-Nine

He was one of if not the best shot stopper in the world at one time but he was never at any point one of the best all round goalkeepers in the world as he struggled with most of the basics of modern goalkeeping.
Like stopping the ball going into the goal? Something Onana REALLY struggles with.

mu4c_20le

Neither has Onana, to be fair

UTD_Since_1978

I'd kind of like my goalie to be a top shot stopper, Onana, please take note.

Kirk lazarus

At onana's age , Dave had been dropped by Spain and his prime was behind him .

That's why age is a silly reference point in this instance . Lots of keepers hit their 'peak' after 28 , especially ours in the good times . Dave was the exact opposite .

Onana is not as big a problem as is being made out . His prem stats are good enough for a guy in his first season behind the most threadbare defence in the memory of man .

RedRocket9908

Like stopping the ball going into the goal? Something Onana REALLY struggles with.
Onana does not struggle with it hence the fact he has made more saves than any other keeper in the league this season bar Lutons keeper.

Shot stopping is the only part of modern goalkeeping DDG was any good at and he even struggled with that at times like the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea and the Champions League group game against Leipzig when his mistakes gifted them 3 goals and got us knocked out.

Pickle85

Absolute nonsense. Regardless of how important we believe keepers playing with the ball at their feet now is, it just wasn't as important when DDG was in his heyday. You're trying to rewrite history because you are a gigantic Onana fan.

The Bloody-Nine

Onana does not struggle with it hence the fact he has made more saves than any other keeper in the league this season bar Lutons keeper.

Shot stopping is the only part of modern goalkeeping DDG was any good at and he even struggled with that at times like the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea and the Champions League group game against Leipzig when his mistakes gifted them 3 goals and got us knocked out.
Onana clearly struggles with it, hence the blunders he's committed over and over throughout his career.

Shot stopping is the primary job of a goalkeeper. There's a clue in the title.

RedRocket9908

Absolute nonsense. Regardless of how important we believe keepers playing with the ball at their feet now is, it just wasn't as important when DDG was in his heyday. You're trying to rewrite history because you are a gigantic Onana fan.
Its not nonsence though is it? He couldnt kick, couldnt throw, couldnt pass, couldnt come out to collect crosses or corners, couldnt save penaties, and his positioning was awful at times.

Pickle85

Its not nonsence though is it? He couldnt kick, couldnt throw, couldnt pass, couldnt come out to collect crosses or corners, couldnt save penaties, and his positioning was awful at times.
Yet he was commonly agreed to be among the best in the world. Weird that. Or maybe you're just very biased.

Jund

I like the fact that the only thing that makes Onana look good is comparisons with DDG.

Kostov

Yeah because I was stood behind the bloke every week and he wound me up by not doing absolute basics of goalkeeping that people are taught to do as 7 year olds. And this isn't new stuff either, we're talking basic fundamentals that have been part of playing the position for 20+ years. I'm generally pretty positive towards United players and look for the best in them, but when you're the highest paid goalkeeper in the world and are that bad at 75% of your job, it's a massive problem and likely why nobody wants him even now.
Maybe someone would have taken you seriously if not for the second paragraph.

In fairness to Onana, he does do the basics that De Gea didn't, such as making himself an option for defenders in under pressure and dealing with balls behind the defence. The biggest issues with De Gea were him never dealing with crosses and him staying on his line when balls behind the defence were dropping either just outside or just inside the corners of the penalty area, Onana is two or three times more likely to deal with the crosses and he is very good at taking control of the balls coming into the area behind defenders. De Gea also wasn't happy with the ball at his feet and hid away from defenders being pressed, Onana doesn't do that but generally has to go long still due to the injuries and lack of press-resistant defenders available, which is due to our over reliance on Martinez and Shaw. He's also no worse than De Gea in terms of overall shot stopping despite what many would think, he doesn't make the incredible eye catching stops De Gea did but he's generally more consistent in stopping the shots you'd just expect him to stop - equally he has made some shocking errors this year, just like De Gea last year.
Here you talk about basics again, and blubber a load of crap about how Onana does the basics, while the guy can't position himself properly half of the time, can't clean save shots half of the time, whenever he needs to save a low shot falls like a bag of concrete and yeah does not deal with crosses as well. You again hide you agenda behind stats, "two or three times more likely to deal with crosses" how about last weekend? If it was DDG you'd probably hold that Arsenal goal against the GK for not collecting the cross in the small box. And made some shocking errors this year, same as DDG last year? :lol:

This last thing about the errors is ridiculous even by your own standards.

He's not the goalkeeper I would have signed, he's not even the goalkeeper from Milan I would have signed, but we've got far bigger problems than him and with a settled defence in front of him who give him the proper passing options ETH wants, and a midfield that doesn't get walked through every 5 seconds leading to 20-25 shots against him a game then he should be fine.
But last May you claimed it would be so easy to replace someone as bad as DDG, what happened? Why is our 50m GK being doubted by so many?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I am not at all convinced by Onana and I don't see any prospect of him improving significantly. However, I'd be surprised if we replaced him given how many outfield players we need to replace.

Pickle85

Yeah like 10 years ago and nobody thought that way for at least 5 years.
He was absolutely still in the conversation for many at Onana's age. From memory he hadn't even been to the Spanish world cup that broke him by this point in the year.

JB7

Maybe someone would have taken you seriously if not for the second paragraph.

Here you talk about basics again, and blubber a load of crap about how Onana does the basics, while the guy can't position himself properly half of the time, can't clean save shots half of the time, whenever he needs to save a low shot falls like a bag of concrete and yeah does not deal with crosses as well. You again hide you agenda behind stats, "two or three times more likely to deal with crosses" how about last weekend? If it was DDG you'd probably hold that Arsenal goal against the GK for not collecting the cross in the small box. And made some shocking errors this year, same as DDG last year? :lol:

This last thing about the errors is ridiculous even by your own standards.

But last May you claimed it would be so easy to replace someone as bad as DDG, what happened? Why is our 50m GK being doubted by so many?
You're a real oddball pal. If it was purely me with an "agenda" against De Gea, and everyone else still thought he was great, he wouldn't have spent the last 12 months without a club. There's even a direct comparison given that Onana was available to speak to clubs for nothing in January 2022, and he'd agreed terms and had a medical at another club by the fourth day of the fecking year, De Gea has been available to speak to clubs for nearly 18 months and he's still no closer to getting a club. You seem to have read my post and somehow taken that I've said he's had a good season when he quite clearly hasn't, but that does not make him any less of an overall improvement on what went before, despite not being a player I would have signed - as I said at the time IIRC. I can't really work out what you're laughing at either, are you trying to suggest De Gea didn't make shocking errors last year? Your 'hiding agenda behind stats' line is sensational by the way, and pretty much sums up the people who thought De Gea was a brilliant goalkeeper over the past two or three years.

Kostov

Someone forgot to tell SAF about modern GK back in the day.
You're a real oddball pal. If it was purely me with an "agenda" against De Gea, and everyone else still thought he was great, he wouldn't have spent the last 12 months without a club. There's even a direct comparison given that Onana was available to speak to clubs for nothing in January 2022, and he'd agreed terms and had a medical at another club by the fourth day of the fecking year, De Gea has been available to speak to clubs for nearly 18 months and he's still no closer to getting a club. You seem to have read my post and somehow taken that I've said he's had a good season when he quite clearly hasn't, but that does not make him any less of an overall improvement on what went before, despite not being a player I would have signed - as I said at the time IIRC. I can't really work out what you're laughing at either, are you trying to suggest De Gea didn't make shocking errors last year? Your 'hiding agenda behind stats' line is sensational by the way, and pretty much sums up the people who thought De Gea was a brilliant goalkeeper over the past two or three years.
You wouldn't know improvement if it hit you in the forehead, pal. And while suggesting shocking errors why don't you try and list DDG's of last year and Onana's of this year, see how the count goes and then talk about improvement. Whether DDG is at another club or not means feck all to whether Onana has been any kind of improvement never mind a 50m one. And you were one of those who claimed that it was going to be so easy to improve on the DDG of last year, now all you have is delusion that DDG also made shocking errors. Well yes he did, Onana has made about 20 and you have the cheek to talk about improvement.

Regarding the stats, of you follow their pattern, all our players outperformed the system apparently, and we have a great squad, just a shitty manager, so try and mask Onana's shocking season behind xGa.

Kirk lazarus

while suggesting shocking errors why don't you try and list DDG's of last year and Onana's of this year, see how the count goes and then talk about improvement.

I can't post it . There's a video on YouTube called ' here's why United got rid of de gea ' it's his blooper collection from last year .

I recommend you go and watch it before somebody takes your bet , I don't want you out of pocket