Opposition to Saudi Arabian Take Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No need to worry about it.

We can depend on the FA,PL,UEFA,FIFA,the government, opposition fans etc. They all really stood behind us when the Glazers showed up. :rolleyes:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Saudi is a far worse regime than Israel.
Depends on whose perspective you see it from. I can’t stand both of them. The Glazers indirectly supporting them has never sat well with me but I admit MBS would be worse because he’s an actual political entity who directly orders mass killings so that is where I can agree with the vast majority who see it as a step too far. Would be different if it was Netanyahu led consortium though.

Last edited:

fps

That would be the end of my support of Man Utd.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The best outcome is they take over, Ed gets Sacked, fans put out massively exposing banners and posters outside the stadium and snuck into OT, MBS looks even worse from the ordeal..his PR project implodes, he Goes on to sell out of rage and we land up with nicer owners and no Woodward :wenger:

Terminator

I couldn't care less who owns the club as long as there is constant investment and a viable short term plan. No more of these fake long term promises about rebuilds etc..,

bludsucker

Is castles reliable anymore? I haven’t seen him get anything right about our club since jose was here. Don’t think this will happen. But i think we might get Aramco as our new shirt sponsor.

minoo-utd

What the feck wrong with you people! all politicians are corrupted their own way, who the feck cares as long as they will put us back on the right track on and off the pitch? or you would rather wait another 10 fecking years till these cnuts in charge get it right?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The Glazers wont be selling any time soon so nothing to really worry about here

Champagne Football

Absolutely no truth in this rumour. The same rumour appears every year. The Glazers have leaked this rumour to boost share price, so that their brother Kevin Glazer can get a better deal.

I don't think a Saudi owner would be any worse than having owners from Qatar, UAE etc. All these countries are governed similarly.

dove

I guess nobody would want that to happen but stop supporting the club because of that? Seriously? You know you can support the CLUB without supporting the owner?

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
This isn’t happening, nothing to confirm it’s even been talked about!

If it did ever happen I’ll still be taking my place at OT every home game supporting my football team!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I wouldn’t stop supporting the club I love and supported all my life. It’s out of my hands who owns the club.

edit: where is this article that Duncan Castles is reporting?

RoyH1

Nothing is proven to this rumour yet. Every news source is only referring to the same news note by the Sun or Castles' tweets.

If it happened as it is framed in thos rumors, it would definitely end my active support of the club. No more of my money would go toward it.

I don't care so much about winning to support a club owned by a murderer, no matter how many PLC,s or phoney investment funds they wrap it in.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/country-chapters/saudi-arabia
https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24713&LangID=E

Devil77

All this is total bollocks I'm afraid. I get that SA is a pretty shady place. But.....

USA illegally invented a reason to go into Iraq and slaughtered thousands of people. Did Iraq once attack or threaten the US? Nope. Did weapons of Mass Destruction ever exist? Nope. I bet you'd have no issues still going to US on holiday though.

1 journalist gets killed and oh the outrage. I'm not condoning their actions one bit but we need to look a bit closer to home too ourselves. We aren't all perfect. We entered into that illegal war with the US too and let's be honest it was for oil.
1 journalist... Such an ignorant comment. And we are not debating between being state owned by the US and the Saudis.

stubie

Would the level of protests match that of Murdoch (1998) and Glazers (2005)?

GBBQ

Your beloved United being the distraction puppet for murderers as they commit human rights atrocities, i'm surprised that some supporters are not only not conflicted about this, but also are openly asking for it.

Also in terms of long term safety of the club, what if there's a coup or sanctions placed on Saudi for human rights violations and our funds are frozen. How do we know that this is a viable long term approach to team ownership.

Better the devils you know.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The next time MBS chops someone up, I don't want us washing his rep.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People who don't support their leaders siding with the likes of Saudis show it by not voting for them, that's the extent to which someone can oppose such actions by their nations. Thought that was obvious, but you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed so I'm happy to reiterate. The fact that the majority in a country vote for the govt. that would go and shake hands with these guys doesn't mean every individual is responsible for 'electing that govt' when in fact they voted against them.
Wrong. They tend to ignore it and keep voting for them regardless as it's often considered a non issue. Most people don't switch their votes to another party becuase ''they deal with Saudi Arabia'. They do it because of left/right/ideology/economy. Not a trade deal with Saudi.

The last bit doesn't actually make any sense in this context. If the majority voted for the government who go on to more than shake the hands of the Saudis, then at least the majority are responsible for electing the government at the very least.

You'd be better off sharpening the inconsequential tools in your own shed. In this case you've clearly gone ahead and taken my fairly general and ponderous comments extremely personally (resulting in the usual hypersensitive response).

If we're going to make this entire issue about the lack of morality involved in supporting a team backed by the Saudis, no harm in debating what is moral and what isn't, and how far that's extends.

LARulz

Am I missing something? Why are any stories being taken seriously? Is there actual any real and credible source saying this is on again?

AneRu

You'd think the sale would be blocked but the UK makes massive amounts of money from arms sales and imports shitloads of oil from Saudi Arabia, so I reckon any potential bid would be green lighted.
If I still remember correctly, isn't the club owned by some company called Red Football Limited that is registered in some tax haven? So if that's so don't the Saudis just need to buy the company that has a controlling stake in the club and not have to seek any approval? But even so, the fact that City's takeover was permitted will mean that they won't have any problems since that set a precedent.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
All this is total bollocks I'm afraid. I get that SA is a pretty shady place. But.....

USA illegally invented a reason to go into Iraq and slaughtered thousands of people. Did Iraq once attack or threaten the US? Nope. Did weapons of Mass Destruction ever exist? Nope. I bet you'd have no issues still going to US on holiday though.

1 journalist gets killed and oh the outrage. I'm not condoning their actions one bit but we need to look a bit closer to home too ourselves. We aren't all perfect. We entered into that illegal war with the US too and let's be honest it was for oil.
It's not just about the death of 1 journalist though is it? They've been exporting terrorism for decades.

And being privately owned by someone who happens to be American is not the same as being the PR wing of an entire, oppressive, human rights abusing country.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'd completely understand anyone's opposition to this takeover. I personally couldn't stop supporting the club and I think with time, most people will not be complaining if we are competitive again.

I think the interest is real, but I think the story and narrative is being driven by the Glazers, almost as if to say this is who you are going to get if we decide to sell and leave like you want us to.
Well apparently the don't care so why would they suddenly change?

Red Star One

Absolutely.

No chance I'd be supporting the club if this happens, and that isn't some kind of overreaction either, and hopefully most fans will feel similar. The reason I came about supporting this club was largely to do with our history and tradition, the way we've stood by our strong morals and integrity, the way we responded to a tragedy like Munich and came out of it together, etc. This isn't selling the club to a random shady corrupt businessman or corporation. It's basically letting one of the most vile and inhuman national leaders take the club in their hands and there's no chance whatsoever I'd support something that's run by those people.

This is Saudi Arabia we are talking about, a place where human rights are a joke, people especially women are treated in barbaric manner, a country that activity takes part in genocide and arming terrorist organisations. Giving an ounce of support to these guys is as good as supporting a terrorist organisation. Takes a second to think about the atrocities they have committed and how no one with a slight bit of conscious would never consider taking sides with these guys.

Obviously it won't be stopping watching football and even United games for that matter, but the entire connection I've had as a fan with the club and the way we are passionate about everything that happens at the club, on and off the pitch would be totally gone. If anything it would be pretty shit watching them win stuff after being funded by blood money. Will be a really sad day and for someone like me who pretty much follows football because of United and little less, it would mean pretty much the end of actively and passionately following the sport itself.
Every single word of this. Would be indeed a very sad day if we're taken over by Saudis.

AneRu

Glazers don't need to sell we are there cash cow, we are self sustaining and not in such a state that we must take blood money from the House of Saud. I don't see it happening.
What is the highest dividend that have ever taken from United? I know that last year they had £18m to share amongst them, a sell in the region of £4m would leave each sibling with around £650m before tax and they will be sure to do some complex financial engineering schemes to avoid paying too much tax. Imo taking a one off payment of around half a billion is much better than keeping a depreciating asset that you are failing to run and that gives annual earnings of just around £10m at a push which is also in need of hundreds of millions in investment to get back on track.

The only reason this doesn't happen is if the Saudis interest isn't really firm and just mere fabrication. With City having set a precedent no regulator is going to deny them, the media will be bought and the fans' opposition will die down the moment a Neymar turns up at Carrington for a medical and scores a hat trick at the Ethihad or Anfield. Not pretty or morally upright but that's how these things usually go.

Fosu-Mens

The next time MBS chops someone up, I don't want us washing his rep.
Every time we win a match, the House of Saud can do something bad while keeping their rep in check? Imagine if we win the EPL or CL? People critical of the regime will be in hiding together with the people in Yemen.

OohAahMartial

Woodward: "Based on what I see, they're [Glazer family] in it for the long-term. With regards to offers or asking prices, my understanding is that there have been no discussions for a price for the club or anything like that." #mulive [uws]
Woodward asked what the asking price for #mufc is: "There isn't one." #mulive [uws]

redshaw

Might be something in the rumour but I've noticed whenever we sink to a new low this rumour pops up.

youmeletsfly

Don't care who owns the club.
It's not like they're buying a club to launder and hide money (cough cough). They're getting a self sustaining club that doesn't really need their dirty money.

It's safe to say that we all don't agree on the politics side, but we need to choose the best of two evils.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It'd be a problem. I can't say right now that I'd stop supporting the club, though that would be the right thing to do all things considered. I just feel too invested in Man Utd, love going to games when I can, love my weekend trips with mates to the city so it would not be something that I would find easy to give up.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not like they're buying a club to launder and hide money (cough cough). They're getting a self sustaining club that doesn't really need their dirty money.

It's safe to say that we all don't agree on the politics side, but we need to choose the best of two evils.
An unapologetic murderer or a bonafide capitalist. Doesn't seem like much of a choice.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd probably walk away from United if i'm honest. I'd stay on the forum naturally but i'll probably just continue to follow random clubs around Europe instead rather than watch United religiously. Wouldn't judge anyone who did decide to continue following but for me it would be a step too far.

virdingarvert

So I can assume based on your comment that you agree with the politics of the Saudis?

The lesser of two evils is obviously by a mile the Glazers. I hate their ownership of the club, but there are no two ways about it. Your framing of the Saudis is exactly what they want to happen on a grander scale if they buy United. I hope that most of our fans will walk if that happens. That would be Manchester United in name only by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.