Opposition to Saudi Arabian Take Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

It'll happen eventually imo. Glazers would sell for the right £££, and money isn't an issue to these people.

It'd be huge for the Saudi Vision 2030 to have one of the largest fallen giant clubs in the world, and they'd chuck so much money at us we couldn't help but improve.

I'm against it - but I think it'll happen.

Pennywise

Will always support the club. Custodians of the club are temporary.

Ideally we'd want owners who just let us spend what we earn, I don't care about owners pumping their own money in.

That said we'll be stuck with the Glazers for years unfortunately

Denis79

Are people just opposed to Salman's family taking over. Are they ok with any other rich Saudi taking over?
I'm opposed to Salman having a say at the club, I'd put him in the same basket as Kim Jong Un.

arthurka

Glazers don't need to sell we are there cash cow, we are self sustaining and not in such a state that we must take blood money from the House of Saud. I don't see it happening.
They would be idiots to turn down a offer for 3bn, this club is going nowhere fast and the money will stop rolling it´s even foreseen over the next couple of years. With more problems on the horizon and terrible results on the pitch it would make much sense for them to sell while the value is still high as it will go down fast rapidly with a similar strategy as they have had over the last 6 years.

Charles Miller

They are seeking the death penalty for the females of the women’s rights movement who fought for the right to drive in Saudi Arabia.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Playing devils advocate having a similar regime in charge at Eastlands has helped increase their fanbase..
The people equivalenting the Abu Dhabis and the House of Saud/Salman are doing an injustice to the argument.

Lemansky

I ask again. Can someone link the article from Castles on this? Can’t find it anywhere

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
We elect our governments, don't we? I don't see mass protests against Saudi weapon deals other than the occasional human rights activist groups protest.
I'm sorry but you're being ridiculous. It's a democracy. If I vote and my candidates are not elected I should now stage mass protests? By what line of thinking is that the same as deciding not to support a football club? I don't think you have thought this through...

Gee Male

Wrong. They tend to ignore it and keep voting for them regardless as it's often considered a non issue. Most people don't switch their votes to another party becuase ''they deal with Saudi Arabia'. They do it because of left/right/ideology/economy. Not a trade deal with Saudi.

The last bit doesn't actually make any sense in this context. If the majority voted for the government who go on to more than shake the hands of the Saudis, then at least the majority are responsible for electing the government at the very least.

You'd be better off sharpening the inconsequential tools in your own shed. In this case you've clearly gone ahead and taken my fairly general and ponderous comments extremely personally (resulting in the usual hypersensitive response).

If we're going to make this entire issue about the lack of morality involved in supporting a team backed by the Saudis, no harm in debating what is moral and what isn't, and how far that's extends.
I'm from Ireland. We don't sell weapons to the Saudis, so from my perspective the whataboutism you have raised doesn't apply.

The Saudi royals are still a pack of murderous, immoral cnuts, who engage in a load of human rights abuses and torture and everything else. They can get the feck away from my club.

Perhaps you can either refute that paragraph, or else quit trying to legitimise any such takeover.

RUCK4444

The next time MBS chops someone up, I don't want us washing his rep.
Sorry this is ridiculous, like I’ve said in many posts, they are in fact less likely to do something like that the more they are connected to western society.

Its a complete contradiction to say that the Saudi Regime want to use us to wash their reputation in some sort of propaganda machine, then to state that they will keep killing journalists publicly.

The two don’t go together. Surely any public atrocities will actually garner far more negative attention worldwide once they are owners of the biggest brand in European football.

I’m sure that, in fact, the Saudi’s owning United will go some way to improving their behaviour. It certainly won’t further facilitate it like most people are preaching.

AneRu

They would be idiots to turn down a offer for 3bn, this club is going nowhere fast and the money will stop rolling it´s even foreseen over the next couple of years. With more problems on the horizon and terrible results on the pitch it would make much sense for them to sell while the value is still high as it will go down fast rapidly with a similar strategy as they have had over the last 6 years.
This. The only reason this doesn't happen is if the news of the offer is fake and the interest isn't genuine. If it is then its case closed. The Glazers would be incredibly stupid to decline such an offer and then have to contend with an expensive rebuild when they could just take the money, buy some bonds with a few hundred million and enjoy the sun in Florida.

arthurka

Sorry this is ridiculous, like I’ve said in many posts, they are in fact less likely to do something like that the more they are connected to western society.

Its a complete contradiction to say that the Saudi Regime want to use us to wash their reputation in some sort of propaganda machine, then to state that they will keep killing journalists publicly.

The two don’t go together. Surely any public atrocities will actually garner far more negative attention worldwide once they are owners of the biggest brand in European football.

I’m sure that, in fact, the Saudi’s owning United will go some way to improving their behaviour. It certainly won’t further facilitate it like most people are preaching.
It might even help women from Saudi to compete in sports, wonder if the new Utd women team will be dropped by them?

stepic

I ask again. Can someone link the article from Castles on this? Can’t find it anywhere
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...chester-united-send-delegation-saudi-20667060

this discusses Castle's 'article' which merely amounts to Castle's personal opinion (which means feck all) backed by the fact Glazers are sending a delegation to Saudi Arabia (although it's actually to attend the Future Investment Initiative conferences that the Saudi Arabian royal family host on an annual basis, and which the Glazers have attended in the past).

basically there's nothing in it as yet. certainly not enough to re-hash another thread when we already have about 3 discussing the topic ad nauseam.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The opposition to the Glazers takeover will feel like a tea party by comparison to what will take place should the Saudi's takeover.

We'll have full-on riots outside Old Trafford.

SirAF

Ageist
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...chester-united-send-delegation-saudi-20667060

this discusses Castle's 'article' which merely amounts to Castle's personal opinion (which means feck all) backed by the fact Glazers are sending a delegation to Saudi Arabia (although it's actually to attend the Future Investment Initiative conferences that the Saudi Arabian royal family host on an annual basis, and which the Glazers have attended in the past).

basically there's nothing in it as yet. certainly not enough to re-hash another thread when we already have about 3 discussing the topic ad nauseam.
Exactly this. Avram Glazer went there last year as well, and that caused the same hoopla that we are seeing now. People are getting their knickers in a twist over a nothing story.

DBeckham77

I firmly believe Israel's human rights atrocities are equal to or greater than that of Saudis. Not a day goes by without a death, torture, illegal detention or home destruction of innocent Palestinian people. All the while those poor people are held in an open air prison, with their basic human rights being denied. Their daily war crimes go unchecked, despite over a hundred UN sanctions against them.
That simply not true.
1. No one getting killed in Israel for fun, the only people that getting killed are those who has been stabbed from Palestinian terrorist, and the terrorists himeself. U are more than welcome to back the nonsense you wrote with facts.

2. Israel one of the most democratic country on earth. Here we have Arab enemy in the Knesset(Israeli parliament) , they support terror in Israel from. And they actually do support the killing of Jewish people.

3. Israel giving Gaza hundreds of millions dollar every month , in Gaza they prefer taking the money and build terror tunnels that goes straight to kindergarten.

What u wrote against Israel it’s not more than the lies That been told by people who hate the Jewish people. just they are racist.

I am living in Israel , I served in the most humanitarian military in the world, IDF - Israeli Defense Forces, we fight only when we have no choice, when we getting killed.

I am inviting u to my home, to see yourself how things really look like from here, not this propaganda that u here from racist.

Superden

they behead and hang people they dont like, we send drones and drop bunker buster bombs, plus ca change.

Madzik_92

So how many innocent people have the British gov murdered ? This may take some time... I'll wait :lol:, and lets not even get started on America.
True. People seems to forget that Glazers supports Trump. Did they forget what happen to Palestine? Talking about human rights eh?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Exactly this. Avram Glazer went there last year as well, and that caused the same hoopla that we are seeing now. People are getting their knickers in a twist over a nothing story.

Our fans were saying similar things when whispers of a Glazer takeover emerged, myself included.

There has been talk of a SA takeover for a couple of years now. There is no smoke without fire, as they say.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Nothing would change with regards to fans and “consequences”. Whether it is the Saudis, Glazers or Mickey Mouse....

TRUERED89

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is littered with atrocities no questions asked (by both sides it's not as black-and-white as many will have it) - but don't compare life in Israel with that of Saudi Arabia unless you want to provoke a laugh. I know which country I would choose to live in at least.
Stand too close to the border you might get your head shot clean off, so yea enjoy Israel!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Why do you think Bin Salman would be interested in buying Manchester United? I think you need to educate yourself on the concept of sports washing. Do you think he wants to buy Manchester United because we are such a fantastic investment? These countries use blue chip brands as a tool to advance their soft power.
The idea that owning Manchester United will change the Saudi regime's behaviour is quite frankly ridiculous. Their behaviour is shaped by forces that are far beyond the reach owing a football club will have. You are mistaken if you think owning a club like ours would have stopped him ordering the hit on Jamal Kashoggi.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm from Ireland. We don't sell weapons to the Saudis, so from my perspective the whataboutism you have raised doesn't apply.

The Saudi royals are still a pack of murderous, immoral cnuts, who engage in a load of human rights abuses and torture and everything else. They can get the feck away from my club.

Perhaps you can either refute that paragraph, or else quit trying to legitimise any such takeover.
I'm not interested in legitimising such a takeover having already agreed that it would be a bit shit. But this thread would be pretty boring if all us merely shouted "NO" in response to the proposition. It seemed more interesting to me to play devils advocate and test out our respective understanding or interpretation of morality. But fine, nobody wants to play. *Takes the ball and goes home*

Gee Male

they behead and hang people they dont like, we send drones and drop bunker buster bombs, plus ca change.
Who is "we" that you mention?

It's not Manchester United and the point is that it would be best to keep it that way.

Gee Male

I'm not interested in legitimising such a takeover having already agreed that it would be a bit shit. But this thread would be pretty boring if all us merely shouted "NO" in response to the proposition. It seemed more interesting to me to play devils advocate and test out our respective understanding or interpretation of morality. But fine, nobody wants to play. *Takes the ball and goes home*
:lol:

Fair enough, I've been that soldier!

Philip McManus

I could never stop supporting United even if i wanted to, but the prospect of being taken over by the Saudi Royal family makes my blood run cold. I shudder to think of our great club being run by people capable of what they have been proven to do. Im not gonna start getting political but we all know what I am referencing. I would rather be drained by the glazers over that! The Premier League has to block any potential deal

Superden

Who is "we" that you mention?

It's not Manchester United and the point is that it would be best to keep it that way.
we as us fans living in liberal western democracies. as opposed to them, the knuckle dragging medieval arabs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So how many innocent people have the British gov murdered ? This may take some time... I'll wait :lol:, and lets not even get started on America.
True. But as somebody pointed out to me on this topic before, United aren't owned by the American or British government.

RUCK4444

Why do you think Bin Salman would be interested in buying Manchester United? I think you need to educate yourself on the concept of sports washing. Do you think he wants to buy Manchester United because we are such a fantastic investment? These countries use blue chip brands as a tool to advance their soft power.
The idea that owning Manchester United will change the Saudi regime's behaviour is quite frankly ridiculous. Their behaviour is shaped by forces that are far beyond the reach owing a football club will have. You are mistaken if you think owning a club like ours would have stopped him ordering the hit on Jamal Kashoggi.
That’s my point, sports washing or any type of PR machine they are looking to gain will be totally flawed by further atrocities.

Or are we to believe that once they own United everybody will say ‘oh ok, they own United now, they must be legit.’

Nobody is that naive.

Im not saying it will change their lack of human rights I’m just pointing out that it’s more likely to actually improve it rather than worsen it. I mean in what way would owning United legitimise killing journalists?

Like I said the two points don’t go hand in hand. If they want soft power it will be undermined by further public atrocities.

stepic

the problem with drawing a moral line on the Saudi regime (which would be fair, because they are terrible) is the fact that line is essentially arbitrary. so yes you can easily argue that being owned by the Saudi State itself is worse than being owned by a Glazer family who supports other repressive regimes (Israel), but you can also argue that they don't need to be of equal terribleness to both be... bad, given the end result ultimately is innocent people dying for religious bullshit. and then there is a further moral slippery slope to a whole host of other activities we either participate in or consume in the West (be it child labour, our carbon foot print, whatever). i can see why the Saudi's would be that final straw for a lot of people, but i can equally see why, just in order to try and attempt to enjoy our life, we have to sometimes separate entertainment and human rights/politics (whilst not ignoring the latter).

momo83

Massive Snowflake
In light of Ducan Castles article and potential Saudi Arabian Take Over of the club, this is probably a good time to suggest that supporters take action in opposition to any sale of the club to that "mob".

While the premier league let the likes of City get purchased by the Qataries, I would think that making it very clear to sponsors and the premier league that the vast majority of the fans in their crown jewel oppose the sale, it might certainly make them reconsider whether they would approve of the sale.

Certainly if there was any time for fans to unite over a cause, this is surely it.
City are not owned by “Qataries”, while your post is correct about the Saudi. Your obvious and clear limited understanding or knowledge of the differences between the UAE and Qatar. Makes me suspect that your opposition has little to do with morality and more to do with not liking people from that part of the world.
1) I’d be against a Saudi takeover, you mention the murder of one journalist. For me it’s because of the murder and 100000s of men, women, and children in Yemen. Fact you haven’t mentioned this shows limited knowledge or faux moral outrage.
2) You wrongly class the UAE owners as Qataries demonstrating a limited geographical and political understanding. Qatar while not perfect for its treatment of 3rd world labourers, isn’t involved in any wars. Especially against one against a significantly poorer and weaker nation. Unlike the Saudis and UAE, or most other nations I might add.

Reactions: Invictus

SirAF

Ageist
Our fans were saying similar things when whispers of a Glazer takeover emerged, myself included.

There has been talk of a SA takeover for a couple of years now. There is no smoke without fire, as they say.
Be that as it may, I’m not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.