g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Oscar Pistorius Trial

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why is everyone saying 10 months, I kinda missed today. From what I've read its 5 years with a parole verdict in 10 months? Is it pretty much definite he'll get out then, or just presumed cause the whole trial has been a joke?
One of his lawyers said 1/6th could be in custody (10 months) with rest under house arrest.

Stretch

So he isn't coming out then.
Not yet though my guess is he will be out within a month tops. The reason he's not coming out is that the Justice minister has asked the parole board to review their decision based on a petition he received. He claims it is because Pistorius hasn't met all the requirements but that's very vague. Anyway this is all about it being women's month in South Africa and the ANC women's league don't want him out during women's month.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I know this is a bitter pill for some to swallow. But if people are looking for scapegoats, blame the police and the prosecution. They were inept.

Rednotdead

I know this is a bitter pill for some to swallow. But if people are looking for scapegoats, blame the police and the prosecution. They were inept.
Wrong - the judge was inept, as will be demonstrated at the Appeal. There were clear legal grounds for finding him guilty of murder.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'd start with the lad firing gunshots through the door myself.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
The prosecution has won the right to appeal the judgement and its going before a judge again to see if they get a new trial. No double jeopardy in S.A law so it is likely we may have a second trial . He's pleading poverty on why they shouldn't be a second trial saying he cant afford another case.

Stretch

The prosecution has won the right to appeal the judgement and its going before a judge again to see if they get a new trial. No double jeopardy in S.A law so it is likely we may have a second trial . He's pleading poverty on why they shouldn't be a second trial saying he cant afford another case.
They won the right to appeal however it's not going to be a 'new trial'. It's simply going to the Supreme Court of Appeal where there will be a full bench of judges at the country's second highest court. They will be hearing the appeal on legal reasoning grounds only. In other words, no new facts may be introduced nor can the original judge's decision on facts of the matter be challenged. The state can only appeal if there's a flaw in legal reasoning which they believe there was. There are 3 types of murder in SA law, Dolus directus (direct intent), dolus indirectus (indirect intent) and dolus eventualis (legal intention). Judge Masipa correctly ruled out the first 2 but never dealt propely with the last one. Dolus eventualis means that he objectively foresaw his actions can lead to death of another person (the supposed intruder behind the door) but proceeds with his actions in any event. That is the issue the state will argue. In their minds the Judge never dealt with it.

K2K

They won the right to appeal however it's not going to be a 'new trial'. It's simply going to the Supreme Court of Appeal where there will be a full bench of judges at the country's second highest court. They will be hearing the appeal on legal reasoning grounds only. In other words, no new facts may be introduced nor can the original judge's decision on facts of the matter be challenged. The state can only appeal if there's a flaw in legal reasoning which they believe there was. There are 3 types of murder in SA law, Dolus directus (direct intent), dolus indirectus (indirect intent) and dolus eventualis (legal intention). Judge Masipa correctly ruled out the first 2 but never dealt propely with the last one. Dolus eventualis means that he objectively foresaw his actions can lead to death of another person (the supposed intruder behind the door) but proceeds with his actions in any event. That is the issue the state will argue. In their minds the Judge never dealt with it.
Comprehensively explained, thanks.

Stretch

Comprehensively explained, thanks.
Cheers. I only understood it myself after a lawyer friend of mine here in SA explained it to me. By the way, he says it will be interesting to hear the state's arguments and the Supreme court's decision. The SA law fraternity are pretty divided on what they think the outcome will and should be.

K2K

Cheers. I only understood it myself after a lawyer friend of mine here in SA explained it to me. By the way, he says it will be interesting to hear the state's arguments and the Supreme court's decision. The SA law fraternity are pretty divided on what they think the outcome will and should be.
At least this will not be down to a single judge...it thought the prosecution had a good case but hamstrung themselves in poor investigation at the beginning...he needs to serve out a longer sentence though.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
He's just been released to luxury house arrest.

Less than a year for murdering your girlfriend. Seems reasonable.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
He's just been released to luxury house arrest.

Less than a year for murdering your girlfriend. Seems reasonable.
The prosecutions appeal is November 3rd, hopefully justice will be served.

I find it incredible that someone is able to fire a weapon (4 times?) into a locked room, knowing someone is in there and it not deemed as murder. Obviously it is not as black and white as that, but that the thing that always sticks with me. Even if he thought it was a burglar, his actions were of someone trying to end the life of anyone in that room, not scare them or contain them; but to kill them.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Just caught it on the news... Disgusting. Fingers crossed the prosecution can put things right next month.

Stretch

So the appeal is happening today. State busy with arguments.

Interesting that so far the Supreme Court of Appeal judges have had favorable comments/responses to points raised by Nel. One judge in particular marked how concerning it was with how Judge Masipa dealt with evidence of Capt Mangena.

We won't have judgement on the appeal today though. Just the arguments by both sides.

Stretch

Something to clarify. SA does have double jeopardy law. Which means you can't be tried twice on same matter.

However, the SCA (appeals court) does have the power to order a re-trial if it finds that issues of law were incorrectly dealt with by the High Court Judge since it is then seen as a 'non-trial'. In other words, there was no trial because the law was not applied ergo you should then stand trial again. However, everyone who is a legal expert in SA commenting on this does not see this as a possible outcome (very slim chance) simply because it won't be in the interest of justice. The SCA will most likely just review the High Court record and the appeal arguments and then make a ruling and judgement on that.

Stretch

The State have been done with their arguments for over an hour now. Defense arguing now. Not looking good for Defense though. The Justices (technically they're not Judges but higher title Justice) are not responding favourably to Defense arguments. They're also taking several digs at the original Judge.

Stretch

The defense have started to put up some good arguments. Lots of legal sparring going on from what I'm reading. I really hope this sticks and we get a proper verdict or at least a retrial.

Stretch

I heard that part in Afrikaans and we need to be careful. Roux has not given context. He said something prior to that but one can't make out what he says to Nel. He then also said something along the lines of 'I didn't get a chance or to deal with it' or 'I just didn't feel it necessary to deal with that'. So not sure what context he said it in.

K2K

I heard that part in Afrikaans and we need to be careful. Roux has not given context. He said something prior to that but one can't make out what he says to Nel. He then also said something along the lines of 'I didn't get a chance or to deal with it' or 'I just didn't feel it necessary to deal with that'. So not sure what context he said it in.
He might still walk, but just thought that was interesting.

Stretch

He might still walk, but just thought that was interesting.
Indeed interesting. I must say was proud and impressed with the veracity and level of engagement between the appeal judges and both advocates. It was a good show of our law in proper action and showed we do have sound minds in our legal system which is encouraging. Our biggest problem though is not having enough properly qualified judges, prosecutors and not having enough police and detectives that are properly trained. If we can get that sorted we will be able to curb crime better and ensure criminals get caught and convicted as they should be.

K2K

Indeed interesting. I must say was proud and impressed with the veracity and level of engagement between the appeal judges and both advocates. It was a good show of our law in proper action and showed we do have sound minds in our legal system which is encouraging. Our biggest problem though is not having enough properly qualified judges, prosecutors and not having enough police and detectives that are properly trained. If we can get that sorted we will be able to curb crime better and ensure criminals get caught and convicted as they should be.
Yes, if the threat of prosecution and conviction is a sufficient enough it will act as deterrent. Law does seem to be a wonderful career, I did a few Business law courses in Varsity and even that was interesting.

When is the verdict expected?

Stretch

Yes, if the threat of prosecution and conviction is a sufficient enough it will act as deterrent. Law does seem to be a wonderful career, I did a few Business law courses in Varsity and even that was interesting.

When is the verdict expected?
They will most likely rule before the court closes in December. Hopefully within this month I'd think.