Ousmane Dembele | Fee agreed with Dortmund, medical on Monday, Barca go from MSN to LSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeUnited

Come on, he has potential but no way is he even close to be top 10, let alone top 3.
Name 10 wingers better than him.

Neymar (only just). Maybe Robben. Bale of the last two years isn't. Hazard maybe. The consistency of which this guy makes something happen every time he's on the ball I've only really seen with Messi. People in this thread are gonna eat their words in 3 months time. Guarantee he has more goals and assists than Neymar did last season.

manunited1919

He's being incredibly overrated on here and the fee paid is compounding that perception. Barca are desperate and are being hemmed into a deal they would never conduct - at the fees quoted- under circumstances conducive to a more arms length transaction.

The chances of this going wrong are substantial enough on the scale to be worried as a Barcelona board member. There's all kinds of variables independent of "talent" (which is highly raw) sufficiently precarious enough to lend credence to the opinion, it can flop spectacularly.
I agree with what you said. The board are just taking a gamble because their position is precarious. To do nothing with the Neymar money would be suicide for the board.

From the player perspective, I hope he doesn't flop because I want to see a great player. But on the other hand, I would love to see some of these risky transfers such as Dembele / Mbappe to blow up on their face, for the market to settle down.

Dr. StrangeHate

Name 10 wingers better than him.

Neymar (only just). Maybe Robben. Bale of the last two years isn't. Hazard maybe. The consistency of which this guy makes something happen every time he's on the ball I've only really seen with Messi. People in this thread are gonna eat their words in 3 months time. Guarantee he has more goals and assists than Neymar did last season.
I thought you meant top 3 overall.

But even in winger terms the following people are easily better than him:
1. Ronaldo (he starts as wing forward but drifts as forward a lot)
2. Neymar
3. Robben
4. Bale
5. Hazard
6. Sanchez
I can see you don't agree with some of these choices.

MeUnited

I thought you meant top 3 overall.

But even in winger terms the following people are easily better than him:
1. Ronaldo (he starts as wing forward but drifts as forward a lot)
2. Neymar
3. Robben
4. Bale
5. Hazard
6. Sanchez
I can see you don't agree with some of these choices.
Easy to go off who is the big names. You might as well have just looked at the highest rated players on fifa and said 'him, him and him'. The only thing those guys have is they've been playing at the top level for longer, Dembele is already playing at a higher standard than basically all of those guys. It'll take maybe a season or two of doing it for you to realise the error of your ways so I'll forgive your ignorance.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
I think it's madness to pay that amount for him. And for Mbappe as well.
I sincerely think that the both of the won't be among the Top 10 players in 5 years.
People go way over top because they played 1 (!) season of great football.

Hell, even Michu was a world beater for one season. Mahrez was. Jamie Vardy.

For all we know, they could be the next Robinho.

Womp

idiot
Easy to go off who is the big names. You might as well have just looked at the highest rated players on fifa and said 'him, him and him'. The only thing those guys have is they've been playing at the top level for longer, Dembele is already playing at a higher standard than basically all of those guys. It'll take maybe a season or two of doing it for you to realise the error of your ways so I'll forgive your ignorance.
:lol:

Playing at a higher level than players who have been key to league and Champions league wins? Ye okay pal. He isn't even in the same discussion as some of those players yet.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Transfer fees are getting ridiculous. Neymars transfer has caused a revolution.

NoPace

He's a great dribbler, clever passer/crosser and is incredibly 2 footed.

Off the ball movement we'll see. Wouldn't shock me if it's a problem early. Also, positionally, I'm not certain he'll end up filling Neymar's spot. I could see them ending up with Messi central and Dembele popping up on both wings or even Suarez in Villa's old left-striker position with Messi as the false 9 and Dembele wide right.

But I do think it will work, even if it takes a month or even to next season to really flourish. Kid's got great talent and is a naturally complimentary attacking player now paired with 2 incredible goalscorers.

Barca's midfield is still a massive issue, though. I'm a big Busquets fan but he really seems like he might having a genuine dip many players at his level never get, but like Giggs had for us at a similar age. Paulinho might give them energy in the CL or a tough game or two in La Liga, but is he going to be technically up to it? Rakitic seems to have hit a wall. Iniesta's aging means he should really be on the older Giggs schedule, presumably either playing once a week or being an impact sub.

Their fans might have a conniption but I wonder if they play a big game this season with Mascherano and Busquets in front of their defence to shore things up. Maybe against Real Madrid if they roast them again in the next Classico.

stepic

everyone has been singing this guys praises for the last year; suddenly Barca sign him and he's not even better than Bale, whose been poor and injured for like 2 years. so weird. we'd be ******* all over the place if we signed him.

Womp

idiot
everyone has been singing this guys praises for the last year; suddenly Barca sign him and he's not even better than Bale, whose been poor and injured for like 2 years. so weird. we'd be ******* all over the place if we signed him.
We would, but it'd be because of his potential more so than his current level (which is already very good, mind) Claiming he's even close to players like Neymar and Ronaldo, let alone playing at a higher level than them is laughable though.

Fer

Exactly this.
I think we would have been more than excited to see our team with Martial, Mkhitaryan and Dembele behind Lukaku. Dembele is just 20 years old, he is talented and he will improve his game.

Coxy

Gutted - means I won't be able to sign him for united on Fifa 18 !

(First window)

Hawks2008

Messi and Dembele at Barca, Ronaldo and Asensio at Madrid, and likely to be Neymar and Mbappe at PSG. Good to see both this generations and the next generations stars all locked down at 3 clubs who aren't us...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Messi and Dembele at Barca, Ronaldo and Asensio at Madrid, and likely to be Neymar and Mbappe at PSG. Good to see both this generations and the next generations stars all locked down at 3 clubs who aren't us...
There will be new talents always. 18 months back none of these players were considered as generational talents.

PepsiCola

18 months ago Rashford and Martial would be considered the stars of the next generation. Amazing how our fans forget the talent of the pair. I have no doubt both will equal, at least, Dembele and Mbappe.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Indeed.

He's fantastic. While I bemoan the fees is generally being ridiculous these days, I'd happily sign him for a lot more than what we paid for Lukaku. And that was 75 million pounds.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Quality talent however no guarantees he'll reach Neymar's level.
Doesn't need to. What is guaranteed however is that Ousmane will not be as focused on the marketability of his brand but rather football. I can't wait to see that link between him & Messi

Varun

Staff
Easy there, not only are you overhyping his current level, you're being needlessly arrogant about the way you post as well.

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund have either sold or lost their best players in the last 3 years. They are a selling club, everyone impartial knows that. If they weren't a selling club and they could keep their players, Bundesliga woulnd't have been over in march or early april.

And you're missing the little simple fact that when a player wants out, he's not of use to you anymore.

When Dortmund will be able to be like Bayern, and have players who are happy to play for them and see them as a final step in their career, then they can make other big claims and they will be able to keep their players. Until then, they can't.
A selling club, who never sold a player who has had more than 1 year in contract left or a release clause. And in the case of Lewandowski the club even let his contract run out. So their hands were tied in basically every case.

That's what makes my blood boil. We didn't choose to be a selling club. We just don't have the money to wash our players with cash, if a tier 1 club goes after them. Players even go on strike to make a move happen. Not everyone is a professional like Lewandowski.

So how we will be able to keep our players? When we offer them competetive wages. But for that we must grow. How to do that? Squeeze every single penny out of our transfers. That gives us money to reinvest in other talents, infrastructure and other money making business. Oh, but that makes us greedy in your eyes. That we have the aspiration to be tier 1 club ourselves and do our best to achieve that.

Reactions: Varun

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Well, @EmmaandSiggi in the case of Ousmane, it's less a case of being washed in cash than fulfilling a dream - I believe it's less a slight against a club he seemed happy in and more a case of capitalizing on the opportunity when Neymar vacated

I can see, for example, how happy Bartra is there

Schneckerl

What is guaranteed however is that Ousmane will not be as focused on the marketability of his brand but rather football. I can't wait to see that link between him & Messi
Dembele sure is a great character. It's guaranteed that he would never throw a hissy fit or abandon the club.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You will when he leaves, like at Santos & Barça - fairly consistent but everyone knows what he values most
I'm talking about Dembélé, PSG came for him this summer, he wasn't interested and did nothing.

EmmaandSiggi

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well, @EmmaandSiggi in the case of Ousmane, it's less a case of being washed in cash than fulfilling a dream - I believe it's less a slight against a club he seemed happy in and more a case of capitalizing on the opportunity when Neymar vacated

I can see, for example, how happy Bartra is there
But there are rumors, that he already had an offer from Barcelona last year. When it is your dream, why go to another club?

And it is very naive to think that his prime or even sole motivation is his love of Barcelona. That is something, that only fans of tier 1 clubs can believe. Because they pay their players the highest wages in the world, so that never becomes an issue. Dembele will at least double his wages with his move.

By that logic Reus just plays for Dortmund because he loves the club. Has nothing to do with the being the top earner at the club and the wages (8.5m plus bonus)...

The decisions of a player are not simple as that and have usually nothing to do with any love for the club. It has everything to do with the money he earns, the status of the club (title chances) and the role of himself in the team.

And for Dembele it is more about the status Barcelona has in the world when he grew up. How could you have a connection with a club of a city, where you and nobody in your environment (friends and family) has ever lived and you never watched in person at a football match?

Reactions: KM

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But there are rumors, that he already had an offer from Barcelona last year. When it is your dream, why go to another club?

And it is very naive to think that his prime or even sole motivation is his love of Barcelona. That is something, that only fans of tier 1 clubs can believe. Because they pay their players the highest wages in the world, so that never becomes an issue. Dembele will at least double his wages with his move.

By that logic Reus just plays for Dortmund because he loves the club. Has nothing to do with the being the top earner at the club and the wages (8.5m plus bonus)...

The decisions of a player are not simple as that and have usually nothing to do with any love for the club. It has everything to do with the money he earns, the status of the club (title chances) and the role of himself in the team.

And for Dembele it is more about the status Barcelona has in the world when he grew up. How could you have a connection with a club of a city, where you and nobody in your environment (friends and family) has ever lived and you never watched in person at a football match?
Barcelona showed interest but didn't made an offer and he wanted game time which was never happening with Neymar still at Barcelona.

Kapardin

If Dembele doesn't live up to the hype, it will be catastrophic. He shows potential, but for that money, its' a massive gamble.

littleman

Messi, Iniesta and Pique and others aren't that happy with Barcelona right now.

If Barca didn't sign Dembele and the season isn't going well, I'm not sure if Messi will sign his extension.

With the Dembele signing, regardless of outcome, it's given their window a boost and something to comfort the players over.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
He's 20, he'll come good. But we need him to come good fast. Don't have time to do what United is doing with A.M. Though I believe Dembele is a better talent than Martial.

Shuriken

If Dembele doesn't live up to the hype, it will be catastrophic. He shows potential, but for that money, its' a massive gamble.
A player's ceiling indicates potential.
A player's base level reflects truth.

They payed for potential.

I for one look forward to this thread (and Mbappe's) to be locked, as the worst part about over-hyping players are football fans who cave in and go along with it.

I don't think that even 5% of the drooling jizz-ready posters here have actually seen Dembele or Mbappe play on a regular basis. And no, a few matches in the CL doesn't count.

Consistency is rapidly starting to mean feck all.

Also, feck Dembele and feck Mbappe. Tony Martial all the way.

Last edited:

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
He's 20, he'll come good. But we need him to come good fast. Don't have time to do what United is doing with A.M. Though I believe Dembele is a better talent than Martial.
Not really a fair comparison.

Martial was a ST when United bought him who's now being converted to LW even though it doesn't best suit him - he's not much of a crosser so makes him less of a threat out wide in that sense / more predictable for defenders. Yet he's prevailed remaining effective despite the position change; he's a scorer in a playmaking role and still making the most out of a not so ideal situation for him. Add that on top of the grueling EPL which takes no prisoners and he's done very well.

As for talent hard to say as they're not the same players. Dembele is a creator who can needle pretty much any pass on the field and can play pretty deep/out wide. Tony is a finisher who cuts, weaves, and slashes his way in while playing a lot more uptight to make the most of his abilities. Both very talented but if I had to say, Martial favoured in terms of finishing, Dembele for playmaking. Hard to say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.