Paul Ince could have done it...

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The thing is, is main points are pretty sensible, Ole needed to lift the gloom of the club, the players.. and then work with them in a positive way. I don't think anyone is saying this is something complicated.. but he doesn't give credit to the nature and affinity that Ole has with the club and fans. This has made a big difference, and is an added value. Ince, I am not sure would carry this with him, he seems a very, very intense character. Hughes is a legend to all United fans, so it may be a little different with him.

I think this piece is dismissive, and unnecessary, and he pretty much apologises by stating he was not trying to be disrespectful (to Ole..). Well, he was trying to be disrespectful.

Ole deserves the time and support from all who sincerely love United. Let's just see how it progresses.
Nobody, least of all the man himself, is saying Ole is doing some extraordinary feat of football management but Ince is so obviously driven by bitterness and self-aggrandisement in his comments that it becomes comedic to listen to him. He's a divisive character, talks constant shite and has failed in management several times; even if we take the point that it's possible a few candidates could have done a similar job to Ole what on earth has Ince ever done to convince himself he's one of them?

Sauldogba

What?? I am on the fence about Ole as the long term manager (and mostly because we have had 3 missteps so far and I don't want to have to go back to square one in 2 years if he's not up to it) but to think that what he is done isn't an amazing achievement is a bit naive.

We were 11 points adrift of the top 4, form was patchy, our players weren't performing, players were agitating to leave. He's got the likes of Pogba and Rashford firing again, Martial signed a new contract and specifically thanked him.

We're scoring for fun, defence has improved, we're unbeaten in 10 games and some big scalps along the way. he's also mad United fun to watch and got the fans onside. I think he's done brilliant and I don't think many would manage that.
Hes done a great job no question but this is a squad that finished second last year,got to the fa cup final and has world class players in De gea and Pogba and a mix of very good players like Martial,Lukaku and Rashford.
Dont let the players downing tools convince you that this is some midtable team full of dross.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Listen, Ole has had his 10 games now, time to give the Guvnor his 10 games and then maybe Sparky 10 after that (hello Mark Bowen!). Then we can decide who gets the job for real.

Inter Yer Nan

'I am not just a pundit who has never managed a club - I have managed in the Premier League and all four English professional divisions, so no-one can say I don't know what I am talking about here.'

After winning just three games in 17, Ince was sacked on 16 December 2008 after just six months in charge (Blackburn Rovers premier league)

During Ince's second spell the Dons were less successful finishing in 13th place in League One (Milton Keynes)

On 3 April 2011 he left the club by mutual consent after losing a club record nine games in a row, including a 2–0 defeat to relegation rivals Oldham Athletic the day before. (Notts County)

Ince left Blackpool on 21 January 2014, after less than a year in charge, becoming their fourth-shortest-serving manager in their history (40 league games). Under his management, Blackpool won 12 out of 42 games and had not won since 30 November 2013. (Blackpool)

I think we can conclude based on his track record that we can indeed say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Lucky Buttons

So his argument is that any old United player with managerial experience could have turned it around - just forgot to add well liked and respected. Bonehead...

tony54

'I am not just a pundit who has never managed a club - I have managed in the Premier League and all four English professional divisions, so no-one can say I don't know what I am talking about here.'

After winning just three games in 17, Ince was sacked on 16 December 2008 after just six months in charge (Blackburn Rovers premier league)

During Ince's second spell the Dons were less successful finishing in 13th place in League One (Milton Keynes)

On 3 April 2011 he left the club by mutual consent after losing a club record nine games in a row, including a 2–0 defeat to relegation rivals Oldham Athletic the day before. (Notts County)

Ince left Blackpool on 21 January 2014, after less than a year in charge, becoming their fourth-shortest-serving manager in their history (40 league games). Under his management, Blackpool won 12 out of 42 games and had not won since 30 November 2013. (Blackpool)

Thanks for this Ince resume, I didnt realise he was this bad. I dont believe he could have done as well as Oly and without being unkind, he just doesnt have the endearing personality of oly or many others.

GJNJ

Did he have a lazy eye when he was a player? I've never noticed it before? Or are his eyes just rolling around his head like a crazy person? The latter makes sense.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
It is so irritating to still read so much nonsense. Mourinho, LvG AND Moyes is twice the managers Ince and Hughes will ever be, and they couldn't get these players(and some others) to come close to a solid side. Mourinho did start off well.. that has to be said, but as many warned before he got signed, he screwed himself and the club over shortly thereafter.

It took Ole 1 week to not only get the best out of our most important players, but also get us to play the way at least us fans wants and often DEMANDS us to play. 1 week. He got Martial to sign another 5 year deal that seals his future here for a long time. He got Pogba on his side. He got Rashford to perform as a world class striker that now Real Madrid, and probably plenty of other top-sides drool after. And trust me, in a few weeks our world class goalkeeper will follow Martial and sign a new contract.

Paul Ince and Mark Hughes would never, ever come close to accomplish these things. Not in a million years. Ince is delusional. And a joke.

HJ12

Don't care much for this guy since he left us in 95 as he never missed an opportunity to talk crap about us. Clearly hasn't gotten over being tossed out the club way back when.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So his argument is that any old United player with managerial experience could have turned it around - just forgot to add well liked and respected. Bonehead...
This. The way the players have talked about Ole in the media its pretty clear they like and respect him. Not quite sure Ince would garner the same reactions, considering hes an insufferable bellend

Lucky Buttons

https://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-special-ince-solskjaer-and-the-man-united-job

Pretty much sums it up I think. I especially like this bit-
'For a man who, “as a manager”, knows how “relatively simple” it is to “solve problems in the short term”, Paul Ince is really bloody bad at solving problems in the short term.'
Yep. Contradicting himself and coming over as utterly delusional. Maybe just admit that he was wrong on the first place instead?

Kapardin

I mean without taking into consideration their failures as managers, neither he nor Hughes are club legends and certainly don't have anywhere near the same clout Ole has with the fans. Both also were kicked out by Fergie and acted like bellends after leaving, so they had no chance. Bruce has been a manager in English football for 20 years and none of his teams ever showed anything special and they usually play dire football.

He's just throwing names for the sake of it with no hint of insight. It would be interesting if for once people in the media challenged those comments made by the know-it-all pundits.
He's just name-dropping Bruce and Hughes randomly to hide the fact that he's promoting himself. In reality, the other names are red herrings and it is just that he is jealous of Ole for getting the job and would like it for himself. I suppose he considers Ole his peer due to the Cardiff failure ignoring the fact that Ole has won titles in Norway and is more successful than him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The fact that we are still discussing his nonsense a few days later basically serves his purpose.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The problem is, is that despite what morons like Ince say, WE know exactly what would happen were someone like him, Hughes, or Bruce were to have been given the job.

Make us hard to beat would have been first and foremost, so 5 at the back, 4 flat in midfield 1 upfront, possibly some form of 4-3-3 against the weaker sides at home.

Lukaku would start every match, Fellaini would have started every match because of his “presence and ability in the air”, martial and Rashford would be relegated to bit part players as what we need is “experience” and the rotten cycle would have continued.

We none of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and dullards like Ince dont realise is you win games by scoring goals, and your first line of defence is your attack, you need to make teams afraid to throw players forward because you will punish them on the break.

For 5 years we have been over run game after game because we drag everyone behind the ball, leave one up front and every clearance just ends up coming right back at us.

Marcus

Solskaer said to the staff don't call me boss, call me Ole. Ince wanted to be called Guvnor even as a player. In his wildest deluded dreams would he have had a positive effect on this United team which had just suffered under Jose the egomaniac. I consider him a Liverpool has-been, not a former United player.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Ince really irritates me, and I'm not exactly sure why he gets roles as a pundit when his football analysis is not exactly amazing.

Oh, and he has an annoying voice.

tomaldinho1

He's just name-dropping Bruce and Hughes randomly to hide the fact that he's promoting himself. In reality, the other names are red herrings and it is just that he is jealous of Ole for getting the job and would like it for himself. I suppose he considers Ole his peer due to the Cardiff failure ignoring the fact that Ole has won titles in Norway and is more successful than him.
At least those two have got some managerial form - not that I'd want them at the club by any stretch. Ince is a woefully failed manager, a piss poor communicator and is forgetting he's generally a disliked figure.

RedM11

René Meulensteen interview with Norwegian newspaper, regarding Paul Ince rumblings on Solskjær.
https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/0...idiotisk?utm_source=vgfront&utm_content=row-4

- We are beyond the stage where one can say that it is more about that Mourinho's gone, than that Solskjær has come in. People can say what they want, but Ole has come in with a very clear thought and has put a very clear stamp on the team, says Meulensteen, who hits up what he thinks is the Norwegian's three most important steps:

1) He has given the players the confidence back.
2) He has reminded players of the responsibility of being a Manchester United player.
3) He has reinstated the offensive United way of playing football.

- If I had been Ole, I would think that statements like Ince are a natural part of Manchester United's boss. But I will tell you one thing: Ole will not let himself be influenced by it. He is not one who cares about criticism, says Meulensteen.

Red For Ever

Nobody, least of all the man himself, is saying Ole is doing some extraordinary feat of football management but Ince is so obviously driven by bitterness and self-aggrandisement in his comments that it becomes comedic to listen to him. He's a divisive character, talks constant shite and has failed in management several times; even if we take the point that it's possible a few candidates could have done a similar job to Ole what on earth has Ince ever done to convince himself he's one of them?

Ince has managed in all 4 divisions, not many can say that !!

Cant recall what Club he is leading to Glory right now.

Oh Hang on ......

Did not like him at west Ham
Did not like him as the Guvnor ( but a good player non the less )
Did not like him at Liverpool
Did not like him as a manager
Do not like him as a pundit

I think its fair to say, I am not his biggest fan !!!

buckooo1978

thinking objectively there was always going to be a positive response after Jose but Ince's character doesn't scream inspiring to me.

to me he's a Robbie Savage, a Joey Barton, a Bullshitter and self-publicist - tactically he is a big Sam and his rudeness to Alex Scott underlined his ignorance

I've been delighted by Ole's attitude and he would make a really good manager at United - his approach is A1 but the thing that has impressed me the most is some of the tactical decisions which has shown good tactical nous.