6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

No, Pogba has actually played better today, give him credit for that instead of trying to use it to say 'I told you so'.

His decision making and passing rhythm was better, and it was better from deep.

He could've easily surged forward more times given that it was a counter attack display, but he remained disciplined and actually covered for Fellaini and Herrera.

Pogba critics, after that performance should be saying, 'fair play, he deserves to be in this team and that was a really good performance'.

Pogba fan-boys should be saying, 'fair play, he did need to improve, and he was capable of being much more effective'.

Either way, we should all be happy, very happy, and not looking to squabble with each other instead of enjoying a great, great team performance.
Agree to disagree. His output is better, but the game, the way, his mentality he plays is same for me. I still see the same inexperience in this game which often mistaken for "weak" mentality. Just pointing out that when every one pulling their weight and he can focus & not overplay his game, he's always this capable.

Agree that it's enjoyable performance and no time to argue.

Akshay

Staff
No, Pogba has actually played better today, give him credit for that instead of trying to use it to say 'I told you so'.

His decision making and passing rhythm was better, and it was better from deep.

He could've easily surged forward more times given that it was a counter attack display, but he remained disciplined and actually covered for Fellaini and Herrera.

Pogba critics, after that performance should be saying, 'fair play, he deserves to be in this team and that was a really good performance'.

Pogba fan-boys should be saying, 'fair play, he did need to improve, and he was capable of being much more effective'.

Either way, we should all be happy, very happy, and not looking to squabble with each other instead of enjoying a great, great team performance.
I'll add the caveat though that he did today what was needed of him, but other games will have other demands. He'll play more adventurously against the smaller teams, as he should. I do think he showed more steel today and looked a complete midfielder. Just the one moment when he lost the ball in our own half when dallying on it but no other lapses of that kind.

Devil may care

He played well, covered a lot of ground and was the one finding the get out passes for us to Rashford and Lingard.

JG3001

I've given him a hard time recently, but today he was really good, played like a team player and realised getting the fancy goal or assist isn't always the priority.

Fracture90

One of his best games so far definitely. He shown desire to fight for every ball, no unnecessary touches and ball hogging, great passing and decision making.

That tackle he made to stop Costa in that dangerous counter Chelsea had, was brilliant.

So energetic today.

Dion

Only criticism of him today was that he didn't release the ball quickly enough, but everything else was excellent.

Ram1fy

He may sometimes take time, but will never even consider putting in a mediocre ball or making a mediocre move. The only thing he needs to improve is time on the ball. A world-class player in the making - maybe we are only a season away from witnessing it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
First half he was brilliant. Second half not so much but got the job done. If he can keep that level of performance going for full 90.. wow.

Tactically the way we used him in the first half was spot on.

Dion

Some in the matchday thread are saying he's been our worst player
I mean he might well have been, but did anyone in the team get less than 8/10? Everyone did exceptionally well. De Gea was the only one who wasn't fantastic as he had nothing testing to do (and kicking aside he did everything right).

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I liked his performance except some moments where he lost the ball cheaply. Workrate was also top

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought for the third time he was out performed by Kante which was disappointing

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Given what he said about Kante in the pre match interview, Poga was especially focussed today and wanted to prove a point. And for this one game, it was a point well made: Pogba can dominate a top class opponent and outplay his peers. I hope he knows how he was able to do this, so he knows how to do it again.

So he has this solid 8/10 level of performance in his locker. Im glad I finally saw it. A proper disciplined midfield performance which was opposite of several marauding and positionally reckless performances we have also seen this season.

If he is as talented as many claim, then I think Pogba tried to do too much too quickly since arriving. Instead of perfecting the midfield basics and delivering reliable error free performances in his early months, he fell for his own hype and tried to deliver the fancy stuff without a solid foundation to fall back on. Thats how Robson, Keane and Ince developed into top midfielders capable of owning Manchester United.

As a fan, I'd be delighted if Pogba can deliver many more games of midfield discipline that he showed today. The fancy ole ole stuff can come in 12-18 months time.

Roberto420

I thought for the third time he was out performed by Kante which was disappointing
Really? you must of watched a different game than me

Gotta say I'd be the first to criticise Pogba if I thought he didn't play well but I think his last 2 games he's starting to do the basics well and defensively hes made quite a few tackles and interceptions even today he turned kante a number of times.

I just hope it a sign that hes starting to settle and we will see the best of him next year with a full pre season under his belt.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I mean he might well have been, but did anyone in the team get less than 8/10? Everyone did exceptionally well. De Gea was the only one who wasn't fantastic as he had nothing testing to do (and kicking aside he did everything right).
His bad kicking led to the 1st goal :lol:

ti vu

Given what he said about Kante in the pre match interview, Poga was especially focussed today and wanted to prove a point. And for this one game, it was a point well made: Pogba can dominate a top class opponent and outplay his peers. I hope he knows how he was able to do this, so he knows how to do it again.

So he has this level of performance in his locker. Im glad I finally saw it. A proper disciplined midfield performance which was opposite of several marauding and positionally reckless performances we have also seen this season.

If he is as talented as many claim, then I think Pogba tried to do too much too quickly since arriving. Instead of perfecting the midfield basics and delivering reliable error free performances in his early months, he fell for his own hype and tried to deliver the fancy stuff without a solid foundation to fall back on. Thats how Robson, Keane and Ince developed into top midfielders capable of owning Manchester United.

As a fan, I'd be delighted if Pogba can deliver many more games of midfield discipline that he showed today. The fancy ole ole stuff can come in 12-18 months time.
I have been firmly saying Pogba has been mostly very good. As I pointed out since our team is unstable, he tried to force thing through on his own which backfired. In a team where everyone pulling their own weight (no need to world class performances), Pogba to focus on his own things then he's very close to top class performance with room to improve. I meant if he's playing disciplined like today with our regular inconsistent attackers, we would see less chance creation. For that much chances, we wasted enough to not win game, which forced Pogba to come out. As many said it's the attacking side that holding us back this season. A Kante in top form all season in Pogba position wouldn't do us any good. Pogba is one of our most influential players.

Hojoon

Finally a good performance in a big game. Hopefully more to come.

He's simply too talented to not dominate.

His decision making still frustrates at times, but that is very easy to improve on.
I thought he did well against Spurs and Arsenal (granted it was against a midfield of Coquelin and Elneny).

AP88

Supports
Man City
I've been one of his biggest critics and will continue to be so until he adds intensity to his game but he certainly played his part today.

It makes you question whether Ibrahimovic subdues the other younger lads around him; their seems to be a evident hierarchy when he's on the pitch, yet without him there's a collective freedom, confidence and passion that's absent with him.

ti vu

Kante did nothing. He only came to life for a short spell in the last 15 minutes. He did nothing of note.
Agree. And this is another problem with Chelsea midfield. Kante was by then their deepest lying midfielder. He was getting involved more would mean that they were shut down up the pitch. Forcing those least creative player to be more on ball is a legit tactic.

He is not supposed to be their creative force. We're already into seeing out game mode with little to 2 real attackers up front in this period. For him to do more defensive work speak more about our midfield strength at this point. How can this be turned into Pogba's negative & Kante's positive?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2nd half he looked a little tired but was fine most of the game. really need to get another quality body in midfield to give him a rest though.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Good performance today but not excellent

He just looks like trying a "youtube compilation" moment every time hes got the ball, when he would be an even higher valued midfielder if he just knew when to play the simple pass or a first touch pass when the pace of the play demands just that. He is ridiculously talented, and i think theres some room for improvement, but i still love when he pulls some magic. A little more balance in his game maybe?

Skills

Snitch
He plays well, we play well. Generally been the story of our season I think.

UnitedForever147

Yet another plodding non descript performance from Mr P. One good tackle in the first half and a couple of decent passes doesn't make a good performance. Gave the ball away far too often. Couldn't even complete the simplest of passes at times and did little to win back possession. The performances of Herrera and Fellaini were on a different planet and as they gave everything Pogba continued to jog around wondering about his next haircut. If he has any desire to win he certainly hides it well. The problem is, SOME people think if he beats a player occasionally or pulls off a pass or two then he is world class. The truth is he's still a long way short of the player we hoped we had bought. Maybe he will become an effective player at United but at the moment he still has a lot to learn and a hell of a lot to improve on. Maybe the Premiership is a step too far for him..

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Yet another plodding non descript performance from Mr P. One good tackle in the first half and a couple of decent passes doesn't make a good performance. Gave the ball away far too often. Couldn't even complete the simplest of passes at times and did little to win back possession. The performances of Herrera and Fellaini were on a different planet and as they gave everything Pogba continued to jog around wondering about his next haircut. If he has any desire to win he certainly hides it well. The problem is, SOME people think if he beats a player occasionally or pulls off a pass or two then he is world class. The truth is he's still a long way short of the player we hoped we had bought. Maybe he will become an effective player at United but at the moment he still has a lot to learn and a hell of a lot to improve on. Maybe the Premiership is a step too far for him..
Yet the current Juventus team is better than any in the PL.

criticalanalysis

That's harsh but understandable. As a third midfielder he did an okay job but for a Paul Pogba performance, it was underwhelming. However, we say that because we know he has all the tools to be several levels what he is currently showing.

Fellani did a okay to good job because it was a Fellani performance.

Pogba/Mourinho needs to find a system/style of play that suits his qualities best. A ball recycler? A box to box playmaker? A free roaming 10? Just simply a third midfielder?

In the whole context of things, I think us fans need to limit our expectations because you're only going to disappoint yourself if you expect more. We'll have accept his struggle for identity and consistency.

Nipower888

Supports
Man city
Really? What do you honestly expect from him. He did his job as the deepest midfielder extremely well. He wasn't supposed to stand out. He owned kante in this game and allowed both Herrera and Fellaini to run around like mad men. Who do you think you are to question his desire. His desire is as clear as a sunny afternoon.

ravi2

Very disciplined and measured performance today... His passing range and tracking back was on point.
He was a team player and did exactly what he needed to do in the midfield.

Yagami

Good post resistant
he wasn't brilliant by any stretch, played ok that's about it.

Needs to stop this annoying habit of shaking his head and throwing his arms about when things are not working, get on with it man.
Sorry for the late reply but, for me, I really enjoyed his performance (Anderlecht). He's a big reason as to why we control so many matches ( like this one and against the weaker teams) and why we create so many chances. His finishing, though...

El-Manos

Around the 70-80min mark he performed some great change of direction and some skill to get away from a player but instead of releasing the ball shortly after he ran into a wall of Chelsea defenders and lost the ball. Sums him up really, capable of great things but tends to get a rush to the head during games, thinking he is superman and then loses the ball.

UnitedForever147

Yet the current Juventus team is better than any in the PL.
But we've seen him struggle to get the better of bog standard premiership journeymen. Its the style that beats him here. He doesn't get "hours" on the ball like he did in Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.