6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's starting to find consistency now which is great, he'll be firing on all cylinders soon enough and then, along with Herrera we have a very good argument for the best midfield in the league.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I love the midfield trio of him, Herrera and Carrick. Its a real shame about Carricks age. Replacing him in the summer is vital.
I agree, I'm amazed at some calling him shit yesterday. He played very well and deserved to be on the winning team. Our midfield was far more dominant it's just a shame we didn't get the 3 points.

Had we won the game I don't think people would have been calling his performance, I can only assume people are upset about the dropped points and need someone to aim their frustrations at.

Dion

tell me specifically. I can only think of dribbling
Controlling the ball, shooting, the entire range of passing that isn't the stylish crossfield passing (i.e the stuff Rooney can't do).

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
:):)
I love the midfield trio of him, Herrera and Carrick. Its a real shame about Carricks age. Replacing him in the summer is vital.

Who would be an adequate replacement for Carrick, in your opinion?

Just curious. :)

Stacks

Controlling the ball, shooting, the entire range of passing that isn't the stylish crossfield passing (i.e the stuff Rooney can't do).
I'm sure your memories of Beckham are hazy. So Pogba was a better passer than Beckham? That's madness. I don't even think he is a better passer than Yaya. certainly not Beckham levels. And how are you determining he has better control. Pogba is certainly not a better striker of the ball than goldenballs. I see him sky so many. His shooting is erratic, the odd one might go in. Certainly not the level of control of Beckhams strikes. I doubt Pogba could score from the halfway line as he relies on power. Beckham will go down as one of the best technicians in football history. Pogba will not be in the slightest. In fact he leans on his physical attributes quite a bit and can be quite scruffy at times. There is little technical aspects that you can say that Pogba is was one of the best we have seen in. E.g. Beckham was one of the best crossers, free kick takers, long passes, corner takers the game has seen. come to think of it, its insane to suggest Pogba is anywhere near the technical levels Beckham was at. He seems more a "good at many aspects" kind of guy rather than "outstanding" in any one thing. Again if you look at youtibe clips, he will look like Zidane as they are taking snippets spread over many years

Dion

I'm sure your memories of Beckham are hazy. So Pogba was a better passer than Beckham? That's madness. I don't even think he is a better passer than Yaya. certainly not Beckham levels. And how are you determining he has better control. Pogba is certainly not a better striker of the ball than goldenballs. I see him sky so many. His shooting is erratic, the odd one might go in. Certainly not the level of control of Beckhams strikes. I doubt Pogba could score from the halfway line as he relies on power. Beckham will go down as one of the best technicians in football history. Pogba will not be in the slightest. In fact he leans on his physical attributes quite a bit and can be quite scruffy at times. There is little technical aspects that you can say that Pogba is was one of the best we have seen in. E.g. Beckham was one of the best crossers, free kick takers, long passes, corner takers the game has seen. come to think of it, its insane to suggest Pogba is anywhere near the technical levels Beckham was at. He seems more a "good at many aspects" kind of guy rather than "outstanding" in any one thing. Again if you look at youtibe clips, he will look like Zidane as they are taking snippets spread over many years
You've completely gone off your rocker here. I suggest you learn to read before going off on another tl;dr ramble that has no baring on what you're replying to.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
As I said from day one, it is crucial to have the right team around him and the right position. Jose finally has found it, and, he starts to shine

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Depends if we are going like for like. Maybe someone like Kroos. Veratti is the impossible dream though!
It won't be either of those and probably somebody under the radar. This guy doesn't count as that but how has Javi Martinez looked at Bayern? Is he fit and playing even?

Dobbs

He's turned a corner and is starting to be the player we wanted.

There are times when he knocks around other midfielders like they're kids. I want more of this.

As soon as the the wide positions start firing his game will go up another 20%.

jem

Again that's great, and also points out the problem with judging players solely on stats. Having watched him myself, he seems to turn up against the bottom sides or weak opposition and minimal impact in the big games or against better opposition.
The sample size is still too small to make such a generalization, and anyway, I thought he looked very good against Arsenal. We have a gem on our hands in Pogba.

SirMattBugsby

Are we indulging him a bit too much? There's no denying his potential, but he is already being treated like a superstar. Going by purely football, I don't think he has reached that level.

For one, he should be contributing more defensively. Saying he's better going forward and then demanding Martial and Rashford to track fullbacks is a blatant case of double standards. Unless he's scoring more than ten league goals a season, Pogba shouldn't be allowed that luxury.

I also see him and Zlatan disturbing the dressing room dynamics a bit. Mata and Herrera have been far more consistent, but might be dropped before him. He earns almost 100K more than de Gea, which I cannot accept. We already might be seeing the first casualty of their 'power' in Martial, who in my opinion should have gotten a better role in the team's attack.

Shouldn't he be playing as a box-to-box mid anyway? Right now he's yet another attacking midfielder. Don't we have enough of those already?

Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way..

Again that's great, and also points out the problem with judging players solely on stats. Having watched him myself, he seems to turn up against the bottom sides or weak opposition and minimal impact in the big games or against better opposition.
Thats a myth borne out of the fact noone is finishing his chances.

Game - Pass Completion - Chances Created - Key Passes - Take ons - Interceptions

Overall - 86% - 1.91 - 1.91 - 61.7% - 1.55
v Arsenal - 83% - 2 - 2 - 100% - 1
v Liverpool - 71% - 1 - 1 - 33% - 3
v Man City - 77% - 1 - 1 - 86% - 2
v Chelsea - 90% - 0 - 0 - 50% - 2

Ozil v us - 86% - 0 - 0 - 66% - 1
Kante v Liverpool - 93% - 0 - 0 - 50% - 1
Mata v Arsenal - 86% - 1 - 1 - 100% - 2

He's hardly been terrible against top teams even when compared to some of the best performing midfielders in the league, and has been getting better with every passing game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Theres no need to sugercoat it, he was a bit shit to decent in his first month or 2 for the most part. He has been getting better with every game and his last few games havve been getting better and better, influencing the game more and looking fitter, which is no surprise as he had no pre season to start off. Was very good against arsenal, when his other big games were mostly shit.

Stacks

Thats a myth borne out of the fact noone is finishing his chances.

Game - Pass Completion - Chances Created - Key Passes - Take ons - Interceptions

Overall - 86% - 1.91 - 1.91 - 61.7% - 1.55
v Arsenal - 83% - 2 - 2 - 100% - 1
v Liverpool - 71% - 1 - 1 - 33% - 3
v Man City - 77% - 1 - 1 - 86% - 2
v Chelsea - 90% - 0 - 0 - 50% - 2

Ozil v us - 86% - 0 - 0 - 66% - 1
Kante v Liverpool - 93% - 0 - 0 - 50% - 1
Mata v Arsenal - 86% - 1 - 1 - 100% - 2

He's hardly been terrible against top teams even when compared to some of the best performing midfielders in the league, and has been getting better with every passing game.
You chose one game for each of the other players so its null and also selected a highly selective brand of stats. Key passes are pointless. Means something like a pass that led to someone having a shot. Also what about shooting accuracy in those games? duels won and lost? areas where he passed? Touches (which I know drops massively)? ground covered? You could go into much more detail here. Those alone do not demonstrate good performance.

You chose one game for each of the other players so its null and also selected a highly selective brand of stats. Key passes are pointless. Means something like a pass that led to someone having a shot. Also what about shooting accuracy in those games? duels won and lost? areas where he passed? Touches (which I know drops massively)? ground covered? You could go into much more detail here. Those alone do not demonstrate good performance.
Just comparing based on the stats in that picture.

Either way, he's hardly been the failure some want to call him even in big games. If Zlatan has pulled his weight in some of those games it would make a huge difference.

Also telling Arsenal was the first game we've properly played him in a three, and with some real pace ahead of him.

Stacks

Just comparing based on the stats in that picture.

Either way, he's hardly been the failure some want to call him even in big games. If Zlatan has pulled his weight in some of those games it would make a huge difference.

Also telling Arsenal was the first game we've properly played him in a three, and with some real pace ahead of him.
Oh no doubt and we are seeing gradual improvement for sure. We have all been calling for this combo from day dot. No Fellaini's, no Rooney as 10 with Pogba holding, and its no surprise our midfield looks competitive now. Its one of them occasions when fans seem to spot the logical, but the gaffer has other ideas.

Loublaze

ATLien
Are we indulging him a bit too much? There's no denying his potential, but he is already being treated like a superstar. Going by purely football, I don't think he has reached that level.

For one, he should be contributing more defensively. Saying he's better going forward and then demanding Martial and Rashford to track fullbacks is a blatant case of double standards. Unless he's scoring more than ten league goals a season, Pogba shouldn't be allowed that luxury.

I also see him and Zlatan disturbing the dressing room dynamics a bit. Mata and Herrera have been far more consistent, but might be dropped before him. He earns almost 100K more than de Gea, which I cannot accept. We already might be seeing the first casualty of their 'power' in Martial, who in my opinion should have gotten a better role in the team's attack.

Shouldn't he be playing as a box-to-box mid anyway? Right now he's yet another attacking midfielder. Don't we have enough of those already?

Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way..
I guess he does since you cannot accept his wages

SirMattBugsby

I guess he does since you cannot accept his wages
But seriously, if we are giving him that much more than our three-time player of the year, shouldn't he be a finished article? On one hand, we say he's a potential world-class player, but pay him like he already is one. Isn't there a disconnect between what he is giving us and what we are giving him?

His potential, by the way, was represented more than enough in his astronomical transfer fee. His wages should represent his true quality, unless we've been mugged. Which, frankly, wouldn't be a surprise.

Varun

Staff
But seriously, if we are giving him that much more than our three-time player of the year, shouldn't he be a finished article? On one hand, we say he's a potential world-class player, but pay him like he already is one. Isn't there a disconnect between what he is giving us and what we are giving him?

His potential, by the way, was represented more than enough in his astronomical transfer fee. His wages should represent his true quality, unless we've been mugged. Which, frankly, wouldn't be a surprise.
Where have you got his wages from, any credible source? Not that it'd surprise me to see the figure be right given how much we paid to get him and the demand for his signature but I've found it hard to take the wages for any player reported in the media seriously.

Btw, a Pogba will almost always earn more than a De Gea. Similarly, a Neymar would earn more than a Pogba if he were to sign for us. No real surprise there.

superdry

touched by a genius
l'd be very upset if he wasn't here and we hadn't paid that "massive" amount to secure his signature.
His ability is obvious, and even though there's been no complete performances yet, there's definitely flashes of brilliance.
He's nothing like George or Eric but I see those little explosions of magic that give you the same sort of lift. (admittedly at a lesser extent at this moment in time)
Love him or loathe him you can't stop watching for fear of missing something.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

De Gea is the highest paid goalkeeper in the world FFS. Even Nueur is 'only' on 110k and Hart is on 120k. De Gea is on 200! Pogba is already world class. We're only 12 games into the season and the manager clearly still doesn't know the team's best 11 and how to get the best out of Pogba but he's slowly getting there

Status
Not open for further replies.