Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edgar allan

The likes of Zidane, Ronaldhino and R9 are lucky they never ended up here when we have fans like you.
Sorry for not being a signed up Pogba fan boy.
He has impressed and frustrated in equal measure for me and has questions to answer about his big game performances.

In a united shirt he has done little to be considered in the same breath as the 3 fantastic players you have mentioned.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So if yore a fancy Dan or too good compared to others you have the right to sulk on the pitch..

Don't think so,try to solve that problem outside the pitch if possible but when you're playing you give your all. Suddenly players can sulk while playing for United. What if half the team would sulk for this and that reason...
Yes, as long as your reason for sulking is because you want better for yourself and you know the team will be better off for you being restored to a position you feel better in.

This isn't an Adel Taraabt wild child we are talking about or a Ben Arfa. This is Pogba. No doubt he wants to be a great footballer and be a winner, so if someone like that is throwing a sulk.. you can't just ignore something like that and say get your head down, just get on with it.

If he's sulking, he's doing it for a proper reason. It is not a good sign for Jose.

NinjaFletch

The same great club which was unable to recognise his talent in the first place, only for him to develop into a big player capable of gracing Champions League finals, european championship finals?

We're in danger of doing a ruining Paul Pogba Part II, only for him to leave once again and find a proper platform for himself on which to shine once again at a higher level.

Pogba is not ever going to be mentioned in the same breath as those players as they're more attacking players, proper match winners who are in a different league to him by virtue of their position, but he absolutely by the end of his career should be aiming to be on the same level as say guys like Iniesta/Nedved.. secondary game-changers who might not have been the most star-studded, the indisputed star of a side but had the ability to impact on the biggest games and come up with the odd match winning moment but more likely to come up with the killer assist, and turn a passive moment of possession into a dangerous one.

He undoubtedly has the talent to be a world-class supporting act but right now we are using him as a midfield warrior. It is such a bad fit for his personality. He is a fancy dan, that is the whole point of Paul Pogba. He oozes flair, panache and the whole point of us getting him back (which I didn't agree with as I thought we should have focused on getting a proper CM playmaker in) was to get people off their seat, hit breathtaking passes, drive at defences with the ball and hit long range shots, get on the end of crosses with his heading ability and become a more consistent goalscorer/assist maker. We were meant to be getting a French Gerrard by signing him.

Instead we are trying to turn him into Modric, Alonso or Schweinsteiger. It is painful to see. It is like putting diesel into a petrol tank.. for once most educated football people and the usually thick media/ex football pundits are aligned on this one issue and Mourinho is too stubborn to see it and the fools who think he shits gold at every turn are also blind to seeing it.

End of the day anyone who has played the game and I don't care how much you are paid, you want to enjoy your football because at the end of the day it is a game. Yes for some of these guys it is a privileged job, but the best footballers are at their best when they're enjoying themselves and it doesn't just feel like a job. For some players, they can enjoy it from playing at RB, for others it might only be as a CF.. bottom line is everyone is different. Some players are more versatile than others and can enjoy themselves in a variety of positions.

So that is enjoyment covered, but the next step is competency and feeling comfortable. For some players their vision of the game is compromised by being on a certain side of the pitch, for others its about the fact they have to deal with alot of aerial challenges at CB vs being played as a full back.. for other guys its about not having to track back and forth down the wing and being allowed to just roam in central areas. The bottom line is every player has a different way of feeling comfortable on the pitch and the manager's job is to discover each little nuance about all his players and create a cohesive collective of a team which manages to cover all the aspects of what a successful football team should be able to do. If you ignore each individual nuance, you're less likely to be able to create a cohesive collective as you're basically going to end up forcing players out of position doing things they're uncomfortable with. Which is why either you sign the right players to fit your system or you find a system which suits the players. You can never do one and the other at the same time to full effect, it never ever works.

So Pogba is not feeling happy, and he's not feeling comfortable. Now he's earning £250k a week, but does that matter to Paul Pogba? does he give a flying feck if me and you are on this forum fighting over him.. no he doesn't. Nor does he give a shit about United.. he left us once, he can easily do it again.

What matters to Pogba is not money, but its about enjoying his football, feeling like he's growing as a player in alignment with the vision of where he wants to go as a player and then once he feels that is in place, the next step is can he use his own personal development to help take his side to glory and win medals for them (whatever that side may be). He owes it to no one, to sacrifice his own happiness, and his own personal development and the peak years of his career if he feels that it is detrimental to his own career and if he feels long term it isn't going to yield any medals either because he's being forced to do something he knows deep down he is incapable of doing and its going to harm the team further.

So yes, well within his rights to sulk IMO and Jose, you.. can go piss in the wind for all Pogba cares, because what matters to Paul Pogba is Paul Pogba and rightfully so.. because in any profession, you should put your own happiness and development first.

FWIW do I think Pogba is overrated - yes possibly and I also think that even if we went 4-3-3, no guarantee that we are going to win big trophies by restoring Pogba to his best position. What I do know though, is we will get a much better Paul Pogba than what we are seeing now and therefore a better Manchester United than the current shower of shit I am witnessing week in week out. As a fan, that comes first for me.. not whether the manager gets his arse licked in the right way.
I've got a simpler explanation.

Pogba, who started the season like a house on fire playing in this exact same formation that apparently he now can't be expected to perform like a midfielder in, is simply in a bad run of form. Everything else, from the psychoanalysis of his personality to the listing of specific tactical roles that should be introduced so that then, and only then, can he be expected to perform, seems to ignore the far more obvious explanation for his recent run of poor form: Pogba being a human being whose form will fluctuate throughout the season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He has impressed and frustrated in equal measure for me and has questions to answer about his big game performances.

In a united shirt he has done little to be considered in the same breath as the 3 fantastic players you have mentioned.
I highly doubt whether Jose would have been able to understand a young Ronaldinho or bring him through properly. He'd have made him track all the way into left back and fallen out with him.

R9 is a CF, so I think Jose and him would be fine.

Zidane, I can see working with him in a 4-2-3-1.. but Dinho no way.

Just proves that for certain types of players no matter how great, certain managers are not the right fit for them.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Do people not see how much we clearly miss him when he isn't on the pitch?

Even in his so called awful performances - We immediately died as an attacking force when he was taken off after creating some good opening with him on. Our attacking displays through his injuries and suspension are equally pathetic. Do people think this is just a coincidence?

I would love to see our chances created or xG, whatever statistic you want with Pogba and without. I'd pretty much guarantee there's an astounding difference. The manager needs to take responsibility - He's a phenomenal, rare talent who we have to be getting more out of. He's an attacking player - Let him attack.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've got a simpler explanation.

Pogba, who started the season like a house on fire playing in this exact same formation that apparently he now can't be expected to perform like a midfielder in, is simply in a bad run of form. Everything else, from the psychoanalysis of his personality to the listing of specific tactical roles that should be introduced so that then, and only then, can he be expected to perform, seems to ignore the far more obvious explanation for his recent run of poor form: Pogba being a human being whose form will fluctuate throughout the season.
House on fire really? our entire team had alot of smoke blown up their ass during that early period of results, even though you could see in some games we were being overrun, but then we would grab lots of goals at the end of the game and it made us look like we were walking it. Then the Liverpool game came and we got caught with our pants down and exposed for the frauds we were.

Likewise with Pogba, he's a total fraud of a CM. He started off well in the Leicester game, but it was easy to see that he wasn't really capable of ensuring that we had complete control of games or able to dictate games with ease from CM.

The only big game which he has shown up in as a CM, is probably Arsenal which says it all.

Yes his form will fluctuate, it will do so at AM too in a 4-3-3, but what happened at Spurs, was not bad form.. it was complete tactical annihilation, a moment where anyone could see.. in form or out of form, this boy looked so out of place in that two man midfield, he should never be played there again as long term it is going to kill him and Manchester United.

edgar allan

Yes, as long as your reason for sulking is because you want better for yourself and you know the team will be better off for you being restored to a position you feel better in.

This isn't an Adel Taraabt wild child we are talking about or a Ben Arfa. This is Pogba. No doubt he wants to be a great footballer and be a winner, so if someone like that is throwing a sulk.. you can't just ignore something like that and say get your head down, just get on with it.

If he's sulking, he's doing it for a proper reason. It is not a good sign for Jose.
Was Balotelli sulking for a proper reason?

Ban

Yup, if he's sulking then it's called throwing toys out of your pram.
Unfortunately we have lots of fans who can't wait for Jose to fail and try to find every reason and thing to point into that direction .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Was Balotelli sulking for a proper reason?
Is Balotelli, Paul Pogba? Balotelli has failed wherever he has been.

Are you going to compare that waste of space to Paul Pogba? a guy whose dedicated to being the best footballer he can be and is generally a great guy who trains hard etc.. rarely has anyone criticised his professionalism.

Bobski

France have the same issues in finding a role for him that allows him to mesh with the other talents they have. I guess their entire coaching staff and player base must be footballing philistines as well.

If it is ok for Pogba to down tools because he is not feeling fulfilled then it is true for every other player, they should be free to pursue happiness as well. Martial should not run because he is being played out of position, Lukaku is not getting the service that suits him best, stop trying, Matic is also better in a 3, stop running, Jones is better in the right CB position, switch off, Valencia would prefer to play on the wing, phone in sick, Mata wants to play as a 10, pout.

Ban

House on fire really? our entire team had alot of smoke blown up their ass during that early period of results, even though you could see in some games we were being overrun, but then we would grab lots of goals at the end of the game and it made us look like we were walking it. Then the Liverpool game came and we got caught with our pants down and exposed for the frauds we were.

Likewise with Pogba, he's a total fraud of a CM. He started off well in the Leicester game, but it was easy to see that he wasn't really capable of ensuring that we had complete control of games or able to dictate games with ease from CM.

The only big game which he has shown up in as a CM, is probably Arsenal which says it all.

Yes his form will fluctuate, it will do so at AM too in a 4-3-3, but what happened at Spurs, was not bad form.. it was complete tactical annihilation, a moment where anyone could see.. in form or out of form, this boy looked so out of place in that two man midfield, he should never be played there again as long term it is going to kill him and Manchester United.
We're great frauds tbh cause since that famous Anfield game we managed to get some points. So I guess we continued to be frauds.

edgar allan

Are you going to compare that waste of space to Paul Pogba? a guy whose dedicated to being the best footballer he can be and is generally a great guy who trains hard etc.. rarely has anyone criticised his professionalism.
So can you advise at what level of quality a player is entitled to sulk on the pitch?
Maybe Martial and Sanchez should join him at the weekend if things don't go well.

I'd bet Lukaku was expecting a bit more service and not having to play at times like a wide player, maybe he is entitled to sulk also?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
France have the same issues in finding a role for him that allows him to mesh with the other talents they have. I guess their entire coaching staff and player base must be footballing philistines as well.

If it is ok for Pogba to down tools because he is not feeling fulfilled then it is true for every other player, they should be free to pursue happiness as well. Martial should not run because he is being played out of position, Lukaku is not getting the service that suits him best, stop trying, Matic is also better in a 3, stop running, Jones is better in the right CB position, switch off, Valencia would prefer to play on the wing, phone in sick, Mata wants to play as a 10, pout.
If France can't find a way to play him at his best, then don't pick him, they have a extremely talented squad to pick from.

So can you advise at what level of quality a player is entitled to sulk on the pitch?
Maybe Martial and Sanchez should join him at the weekend if things don't go well.

I'd bet Lukaku was expecting a bit more service and not having to play at times like a wide player, maybe he is entitled to sulk also?
Did you forget how Sanchez sulked like a bitch at Arsenal, but now suddenly he's an uber professional and the new caf darling?

He sulked because he didn't like what he saw at the club, didn't like how the manager was.. he felt the manager was holding him back.

Pogba, Sanchez.. these are relatively established stars of the game. They're household names.

Guys like Martial are still rather unproven, but even Martial.. I admire the patience he has shown, as I don't think Jose has man-managed him that great and yet he's still kept going but he's very young with no status in the game, so he has no option but to fight his way through as his career would be over if he left United in a bad way.

Lukaku example has zero relevance.

Manny

Grammar Police

Solid retort and post that misses the point.

Zidane and Ronaldinho needed midfield built around them and Hector Cuper had R9 crying on the bench.

NinjaFletch

Yes he played very well in that period. It's absolutely insane to try and deny it and argue that it didn't happen or to argue that it was only people getting carried away (as if people aren't getting carried away with his recent down turn in form) and smacks of one of the biggest cases of revisionism I've seen on this forum (and there's been a few). You might argue he played well in spite of the formation, you might argue that he would have played better had he been played in a different formation, but he still played well and you can't wash that way because it doesn't fit comfortably with what you're arguing.

Anyway it seems to me you have one certain piece of information: Paul Pogba is currently not playing very well.

Now you could be right, Paul Pogba could not be playing well for a whole factor of reasons of which we have no knowledge: he could be a prima donna, he could be a unable to play in a two, he could have been cursed by his neighbour because he ran over their cat, he could have bene abducted by the space jam aliens and had all of his footballing ability in order to kidnap the looney tunes who live in the centre of the earth. All of those things could be true, but they're all conjecture which doesn't change the fact that the simplest explanation is still that Paul Pogba isn't playing very well.

For all your talk of tactical annihilation, fraud this, fraud that, and things which 'say it all' you still haven't demonstrated why your far more tenuous construction of events should be believed over the far simply explanation that he's been going through a particularly bad rut.

edgar allan

If France can't find a way to play him at his best, then don't pick him, they have a extremely talented squad to pick from.

Did you forget how Sanchez sulked like a bitch at Arsenal, but now suddenly he's an uber professional and the new caf darling?

He sulked because he didn't like what he saw at the club, didn't like how the manager was.. he felt the manager was holding him back.

Pogba, Sanchez.. these are relatively established stars of the game. They're household names.

Guys like Martial are still rather unproven, but even Martial.. I admire the patience he has shown, as I don't think Jose has man-managed him that great and yet he's still kept going but he's very young with no status in the game, so he has no option but to fight his way through as his career would be over if he left United in a bad way.

Lukaku example has zero relevance.
No it has every relevance. If any player sulks on the pitch then all the players think why am I busting my ass when others are not. It causes the break up of team morale.

In his own head Pogba may fell that he is the top star, on the pitch he hasn't been. He wasn't even our best midfield player last year never mind a world star.

You can raise every concerns you have about tactics/formations prior to the kick off but on the pitch you are a professional, you follow the managers instructions.....you put some effort in.
Not doing that brings Balotelli comparisons in to play.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yes he played very well in that period. It's absolutely insane to try and deny it and argue that it didn't happen or to argue that it was only people getting carried away (as if people aren't getting carried away with his recent down turn in form) and smacks of one of the biggest cases of revisionism I've seen on this forum (and there's been a few). You might argue he played well in spite of the formation, you might argue that he would have played better had he been played in a different formation, but he still played well and you can't wash that way because it doesn't fit comfortably with what you're arguing.

Anyway it seems to me you have one certain piece of information: Paul Pogba is currently not playing very well.

Now you could be right, Paul Pogba could not be playing well for a whole factor of reasons of which we have no knowledge: he could be a prima donna, he could be a unable to play in a two, he could have been cursed by his neighbour because he ran over their cat, he could have bene abducted by the space jam aliens and had all of his footballing ability in order to kidnap the looney tunes who live in the centre of the earth. All of those things could be true, but they're all conjecture which doesn't change the fact that the simplest explanation is still that Paul Pogba isn't playing very well.

For all your talk of tactical annihilation, fraud this, fraud that, and things which 'say it all' you still haven't demonstrated why your far more tenuous construction of events should be believed over the far simply explanation that he's been going through a particularly bad rut.
Because I agree with you that he can play in a two to a far better level than he showed against Newcastle against weaker sides. I am not denying that.

What I am saying though is that Pogba in midfield pairs, or in anything remotely deep-lying has had a list of failed clueless performances in that position and thus the Spurs performance wasn't necessarily an outlier.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
...Zidane and Ronaldinho needed midfield built around them and Hector Cuper had R9 crying on the bench.
I don’t really get this. Zidane and Ronaldinho was the best players of their generation so obviously you’d build around them to get the most out of them. That doesn’t mean you’d have to do it to get them to shine. They would’ve been bloody fantastic in any team. Btw comparing Pogba to Zidane is just ridiculous. Pogba have a very long way to go before being compared to legends of the game even though of course he’s a talented player for sure. But very unfair on Pogba.

Manny

Grammar Police
I don’t really get this. Zidane and Ronaldinho was the best players of their generation so obviously you’d build around them to get the most out of them. That doesn’t mean you’d have to do it to get them to shine. They would’ve been bloody fantastic in any team. Btw comparing Pogba to Zidane is just ridiculous. Pogba have a very long way to go before being compared to legends of the game even though of course he’s a talented player for sure. But very unfair on Pogba.
Sure, they were big players from the off and there's was no concerted effort to find their best position...

Besides the comparison was much to do with big players, big egos, big price tags etc and the fact that they were linked with joining us. The R9 crying reference was because Pogba is being accused of sulking.

NinjaFletch

Because I agree with you that he can play in a two to a far better level than he showed against Newcastle against weaker sides. I am not denying that.

What I am saying though is that Pogba in midfield pairs, or in anything remotely deep-lying has had a list of failed clueless performances in that position and thus the Spurs performance wasn't necessarily an outlier.
No it wasn't, but then again it wasn't an outlier from his recent performances either. It wasn't a case of Pogba playing well against teams that didn't challenge us as much and then suddenly being awful against Spurs, he's simply been bad for coming up to a month in a whole host of different games.

I also don't really agree with your description of Pogba's role over the season as 'deep-lying', it hasn't been. He's had the freedom to get up and down the pitch a lot, and as recently as Friday Mourinho spoke about his expectations for a box-to-box midfielder in reference to Pogba playing in midfield. Sure he's being asked to get back and defend, but he's not playing in a double pivot as a defensive midfielder like people have been saying. The only way you could possibly argue that is relying on the TV graphic at the start of the game and then by steadfastly refusing to let the evidence on the pitch inform your opinion.

As it happens we agree, although for different reasons, about the suitability of that two and Pogba's role in big games, but I simply don't see how the solution to our woes can purely be sacrificing an attacking player to 'allow' Pogba to play an incredibly similar role to the one he has played for most of the season – especially when we played a three at the weekend with Lingard and Pogba playing as deep as each other and Lingard getting through more defensive work than Pogba and nobody noticed – unless you're going to argue that by 'three' you mean Pogba as a 10 and the actual introduction of a double pivot.

In fact let me demonstrate this point properly. Here are four average position charts from our last five games (i.e I've not included the Huddersfield one because Pogba did not start). In none of these does Pogba play in a 'deep lying' position. Matic holds and Pogba has as much freedom as the number 10 (in this case obviously number 14 Lingard) to get forward. In more of these games than others his average position is closer to Lingard than it is to Matic.

The idea that Pogba's playing poorly because he's playing as a defensive player in a midfield two alongside Matic, whether he's supposed to be or not, is just a complete fabrication.

What I find absolutely striking above all else is when you compare the players average positions our formation in real life (i.e. not what some bozzo on at Sky thinks it is) is very close to City's 4-1-4-1 with Fernandinho and Matic taking up similar positions and De Bruyne, Silva, Lingard, and Pogba all doing the same. Obviously taking up similar average positions does not mean players performing identical roles, but perhaps I might suggest that formations on their own aren't the be all and end all?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve asked this before but don’t think I got an answer. Can someone please explain what it is about Shelvey that gives his manager the luxury of playing him in a midfield two, while Pogba apparently can’t do this for Mourinho?

What can Shelvey do that Pogba cannot? Genuinely curious here. Shelvey’s always struck me as a bang average CM but the way some of you are talking up the difficulty of playing in a two-man midfield makes me wonder if I’m missing something?

And what about Dembele at Spurs? Another CM who excels in a midfield two. What can he do that Pogba can’t?

Because, if I’m brutally honest, it seems to me that the only issue here isn’t a lack of talent. It’s a lack of effort.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No it wasn't, but then again it wasn't an outlier from his recent performances either. It wasn't a case of Pogba playing well against teams that didn't challenge us as much and then suddenly being awful against Spurs, he's simply been bad for coming up to a month in a whole host of different games.

I also don't really agree with your description of Pogba's role over the season as 'deep-lying', it hasn't been. He's had the freedom to get up and down the pitch a lot, and as recently as Friday Mourinho spoke about his expectations for a box-to-box midfielder in reference to Pogba playing in midfield. Sure he's being asked to get back and defend, but he's not playing in a double pivot as a defensive midfielder like people have been saying. The only way you could possibly argue that is relying on the TV graphic at the start of the game and then by steadfastly refusing to let the evidence on the pitch inform your opinion.

As it happens we agree, although for different reasons, about the suitability of that two and Pogba's role in big games, but I simply don't see how the solution to our woes can purely be sacrificing an attacking player to 'allow' Pogba to play an incredibly similar role to the one he has played for most of the season – especially when we played a three at the weekend with Lingard and Pogba playing as deep as each other and Lingard getting through more defensive work than Pogba and nobody noticed – unless you're going to argue that by 'three' you mean Pogba as a 10 and the actual introduction of a double pivot.

In fact let me demonstrate this point properly. Here are four average position charts from our last five games (i.e I've not included the Huddersfield one because Pogba did not start). In none of these does Pogba play in a 'deep lying' position. Matic holds and Pogba has as much freedom as the number 10 (in this case obviously number 14 Lingard) to get forward. In more games than others his average position is closer to Lingard than it is to Matic.

The idea that Pogba's playing poorly because he's playing as a defensive player in a midfield two alongside Matic, whether he's supposed to be or not, is just a complete fabrication.
I can't get hold of stats from the time at Juve, so will use a combination of heat maps from Coutinho/Iniesta compared to how we are utilising Pogba and video evidence from his time at Juventus.

COUTINHO V SAINTS

https://i.imgur.com/3wdKsQx.jpg

INIESTA V ALAVES

INIESTA V REAL MADRID

LINGARD V NEWCASTLE

RAKITIC V MADRID

Now apparently anyone that dares to claim Jesse was not operating as a CM against newcastle needs to be banned. I put it to you that Rakitic passing map, compared to Lingard is so different, the difference is stark as night and day. One is the passing map of an orthodox, proper CM (B2B/controlling CM) and the other is of a free roaming attacking midfielder.

No way was the way Jesse playing in any way comparable to the way Rakitic is playing thus enabling Iniesta to focus on that left flank, like he did against Madrid. To reinforce the way Iniesta played that game.. see video below:

DE BRUYNE V WEST BROM

Now De Bruyne is playing in a 4-1-4-1, which is more similar to how we operated against Newcastle in the second half. The difference is, that City play in a way more attacking system and that allows De Bruyne to play utterly unleashed, knowing he will be covered and the fact they play so high up the pitch means, most of his play is in the opponents half, not picking the ball up deep in his own half and close to his defenders.

Finally, lets have a look at Pogba's Juventus days and where he operated...

POGBA V EVERTON

That was hands down his most dominant performance this season. He's bigger, faster and stronger than the young kid at Juve, he should also be wiser and capable of aiming for that 10-15 goals a season mark.

For me compare his average position to likes of Iniesta, Coutinho.. players he is capable of competing with, and players he's used to competing with as left sided attacking midfielders, and instead we're trying to make him compete with Modric or Rakitic. It isn't going to work.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’ve asked this before but don’t think I got an answer. Can someone please explain what it is about Shelvey that gives his manager the luxury of playing him in a midfield two, while Pogba apparently can’t do this for Mourinho?

What can Shelvey do that Pogba cannot? Genuinely curious here. Shelvey’s always struck me as a bang average CM but the way some of you are talking up the difficulty of playing in a two-man midfield makes me wonder if I’m missing something?

And what about Dembele at Spurs? Another CM who excels in a midfield two. What can he do that Pogba can’t?

Because, if I’m brutally honest, it seems to me that the only issue here isn’t a lack of talent. It’s a lack of effort.
I have answered this for different poster, I will just repeat it again.

No 2 players are same. Some are capable of playing, some don't, as in some are versatile and some aren't. For example, Xavi - Iniesta dominated every midfield they played against, Iniesta also played at very high level playing as left wing/left forward but Xavi can't. Similarly Suarez and Lewandowski are one of the best #9s in last few years but Suarez was excellent playing from left wing, Lewandowski can't.

Every player have different strengths and weaknesses. Pogba's is defensive understanding or concentration. When you combine that with Jose who sets up his team in a pragmatic way by dropping deep and expecting his midfielders to track runners and rely on interception rather than aggressive press and tackling then you are expecting something from Pogba he is just incapable of.

Also another point is how the team is set up. Spurs like City play compact game. ManUtd play with different set up where players are far from each other. Spurs like City rely on aggressive pressing and defensive as a team, ManUtd is disjointed and incapable of pressing or something that isn't coached.

Last point, Pogba is a flair player who likes to express himself. Asking him to play in a midfield 2 in a restricted role is just a waste of money. Just check Pogba's performance for Juventus against some of the best teams and how good he was with freedom, he can cause so much damage with his flair, dribbling from left side.

Zoo

French journalist Julien Laurens said his info was that Pogba wasn’t fit. A falling out with Mourinho is just waiting to happen.

grandmasterrs

I think Jose will fix this. Lessons learnt. I would have thought that he would have gone with a midfield 3 with Pogba on the left. But too bad Herrera got injured. He tried to get Lingard do the job, but Lingard didn't..next game he will be going with a midfield 3 with Pogba on the left..this Newcastle game would be the catalyst for our future formation.. I certainly hope so.. Pogba is good.. Very good.. He is young and needs to learn from this

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

For one thing, I actually like Shelvey and think he gets underrated because a) looks like a cross-eyed Lord Voldemort and b) because he's a cnut.

As to why he can operate as a CM, well that is his natural position because he loves getting on the ball, naturally picks up good positions in deep lying midfield areas and can pass through the lines from deep, spread to either wing with ease and has an engine on him, loves making tackles and being in the heat of the midfield battle. Like him or not, he has a warrior-like persona and is a hard man in midfield.

Things he has over Pogba in that role, is natural tendency to remain deeper so more defensive discipline, more nimble and responsive to defensive situations, spends less energy in driving with the ball and dribbling, so has more energy to perform defensive tasks and is more comfortable in central areas than on the wing.

You are 100% right that Pogba could have put more effort in. But if you think it was only the lack of effort which prevented Spurs overrunning us in that midfield battle, that is where you are severely misguided.

He is like a newborn baby in CM finding his steps and in the adult world of top level professional football, he's getting eaten alive by good sides and now he's losing his confidence, he's going to be seen as a weak link. Souness is right in that every CM will want to play him now because they know he can't play there. Compare that to the City performance above, when he played for Juve and he was so proactive and almost bullying them but from a left midfield position. They didn't use him as a CM because they knew he's not a natural fit for that role.. you have to be very mature, tough and disciplined in a CM role. You need to make the right decisions time and time again, on and off the ball both offensively and defensively. Does that seem like an attribute you'd associate with a flair player like a Paul Pogba?

Even a player like Iniesta, you'd trust him to make right decisions on the ball constantly, but you wouldn't trust him to make the right decisions defensively time and time again.. he doesn't have the same intelligence in the defensive phase of the game, even if he tried his heart out.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

I have answered this for different poster, I will just repeat it again.

No 2 players are same. Some are capable of playing, some don't, as in some are versatile and some aren't. For example, Xavi - Iniesta dominated every midfield they played against, Iniesta also played at very high level playing as left wing/left forward but Xavi can't. Similarly Suarez and Lewandowski are one of the best #9s in last few years but Suarez was excellent playing from left wing, Lewandowski can't.

Every player have different strengths and weaknesses. Pogba's is defensive understanding or concentration. When you combine that with Jose who sets up his team in a pragmatic way by dropping deep and expecting his midfielders to track runners and rely on interception rather than aggressive press and tackling then you are expecting something from Pogba he is just incapable of.

Also another point is how the team is set up. Spurs like City play compact game. ManUtd play with different set up where players are far from each other. Spurs like City rely on aggressive pressing and defensive as a team, ManUtd is disjointed and incapable of pressing or something that isn't coached.

Last point, Pogba is a flair player who likes to express himself. Asking him to play in a midfield 2 in a restricted role is just a waste of money. Just check Pogba's performance for Juventus against some of the best teams and how good he was with freedom, he can cause so much damage with his flair, dribbling from left side.
Yet his stats - using every available metric - have improved since he left Juventus and started playing for United. Go figure.

Re the rest of your post, Newcastle’s formation and approach against us was exactly the same as ours against (for example) Spurs. So this is a very poor excuse for Pogba’s recent crap performances.

edgar allan

Yet his stats - using every available metric - have improved since he left Juventus and started playing for United. Go figure.

Re the rest of your post, Newcastle’s formation and approach against us was exactly the same as ours against (for example) Spurs. So this is a very poor excuse for Pogba’s recent crap performances.
Doesn't it just show you the absolute irrelevance of most statistics to the actual performance levels and influence on the pitch..

Mhiki being in the top 5 for assists this year illustrating that point completely.

Pogue Mahone

For one thing, I actually like Shelvey and think he gets underrated because a) looks like a cross-eyed Lord Voldemort and b) because he's a cnut.

As to why he can operate as a CM, well that is his natural position because he loves getting on the ball, naturally picks up good positions in deep lying midfield areas and can pass through the lines from deep, spread to either wing with ease and has an engine on him, loves making tackles and being in the heat of the midfield battle. Like him or not, he has a warrior-like persona and is a hard man in midfield.

Things he has over Pogba in that role, is natural tendency to remain deeper so more defensive discipline, more nimble and responsive to defensive situations, spends less energy in driving with the ball and dribbling, so has more energy to perform defensive tasks and is more comfortable in central areas than on the wing.
You’d struggle to find a player on the pitch that spend less energy than Pogba on Sunday. So, again, a poor excuse.

All the half-reasonable excuses boil down to a player lacking in discipline, concentration and effort. All of which are qualities that should be the bare minimum you’d expect from an elite footballer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You’d struggle to find a player on the pitch that spend less energy than Pogba on Sunday. So, again, a poor excuse.

All the half-reasonable excuses boil down to a player lacking in discipline, concentration and effort. All of which are qualities that should be the bare minimum you’d expect from an elite footballer.
That performance v Newcastle was not normal we all know that. He simply didn't try.

No one can use the fact he was out of position in that particular game for that sheer lack of effort.

Those excuses are being used to explain why he is not trying, why is he unhappy. Do you not agree that Pogba is not looking like himself out on the pitch? is having a star player unhappy not a bad thing for us as United fans, as it is less likely to lead to good results for us?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Also the excuses fail when you just realize pogba spent the majority of the season playing the same position - and was having a good season. For the most part. Last few games he's been a mess in the same position, and the Newcastle game was pathetic.

I do agree with everyone saying we aren't using him correctly and we typically do look a bit unbalanced. Lately he's been putting in no effort at all though and we look clueless in midfield. He simply has to be hitting that base level of performance in getting on the ball, putting in the effort and trying to play the position, and he just doesn't do that.

SammyUnited_83

That's not entirely true is it?

He scored 13 goals in 23 games the season they won the league. He also set up the league winning goal for Aguero.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's not entirely true is it?

He scored 13 goals in 23 games the season they won the league. He also set up the league winning goal for Aguero.
Good for him and now he's playing for Nice in the prime of his career. Are you telling me Pogba will one day be playing for Crystal Palace at the age of 28 - if he was to leave here after failing to gel with Jose?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
And if people have an issue with comparisons to players under different managers, how about Fabregas and Lampard? What qualities did they display while winning the league under Mourinho - in a midfield two - that Pogba can’t emulate?
When did Lampard play in a midfield two on a weekly basis? or get paired up with Fabregas for that matter.

Fabregas played in a double-pivot with Flamini when he first broke through at Arsenal. He started off as a proper CM controlling playmaker and then moved up at Barca, before moving back again.

Lampard has always thrived in a three.

Pogue Mahone

When did Lampard play in a midfield two on a weekly basis? or get paired up with Fabregas for that matter.

Fabregas played in a double-pivot with Flamini when he first broke through at Arsenal. He started off as a proper CM controlling playmaker and then moved up at Barca, before moving back again.

Lampard has always thrived in a three.
Re Fabregas. I’m talking about the last time Chelsea won the league. With the same midfield partner as Pogba. Under the same manager. Playing the same system. Why can’t Pogba do the same?

Rajma

French journalist Julien Laurens said his info was that Pogba wasn’t fit. A falling out with Mourinho is just waiting to happen.
Highly plausible. It's not like he hasn't got the record of lying when it comes to injuries of his own players, both Smalling and Shaw episodes spring to my mind.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

In fact let me demonstrate this point properly. Here are four average position charts from our last five games (i.e I've not included the Huddersfield one because Pogba did not start). In none of these does Pogba play in a 'deep lying' position. Matic holds and Pogba has as much freedom as the number 10 (in this case obviously number 14 Lingard) to get forward. In more of these games than others his average position is closer to Lingard than it is to Matic.

What I find absolutely striking above all else is when you compare the players average positions our formation in real life (i.e. not what some bozzo on at Sky thinks it is) is very close to City's 4-1-4-1 with Fernandinho and Matic taking up similar positions and De Bruyne, Silva, Lingard, and Pogba all doing the same. Obviously taking up similar average positions does not mean players performing identical roles, but perhaps I might suggest that formations on their own aren't the be all and end all?
Obviously this. I agree with you, but it's maddening to me how Mourinho thinks using them in similar positions will produce similar results with a completely opposite play style. City can do this because Pep always tries to dominate play, has coached a clear possession style of football with clear movement patterns all over the pitch and where/when to release the ball. They have 70% possession in every game, push up really highly and keep the space in midfield really tight, so they can play de Bruyne and Silva there and not leak chances constantly. Mourinho still doesn't have a clear style of play but it definitely doesn't involve pushing high up the pitch and dominating games on the ball. He basically tells his front 5 to push up, back 5 to sit deep and the middle is completely empty, as the graphs show.

The question with pogba is, is he playing that high up and the way he is doing because of the system asking him, or him simply doing it? Other midfielders when they play there for Mourinho play much deeper and as typical midfielders. Pogba when he plays is usually pushed right up as a 10, when we already have a 10 on the pitch. He doesn't sit deeper, doesn't close the space down or pick the ball up off the defence to play it out from the middle like midfielders should do. He just pushes up. Both situations reflect poorly on both Mourinho and pogba IMO. Both should clearly see what the problem is and just tell pogba to have more discipline and stay in midfield and keep it simple. That doesn't happen unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.