Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Completely different body language to playing at United. His passing was crisp and he was constantly finding runners.
We should sign Mbappe :lol: They seem to have a great understanding, Mbappe's runs are amazing.

el3mel

Allegri's team is defensively solid but he's also capable of setting up a very good attack. His teams have a better balance than Deschamps and Mourinho who are way more defensive. Infact I'd go as far as saying he has the best balance between defense and attack than any coach in the world. Juventus at times play some beautiful fluid attacking football but they also know how to shut up shop when they need to. Pogba needs to improve and it doesn't matter who the manager is you put the hard work in but under a more attacking manager with defined role in attacking phase I feel he would be able to show his quality more.
Allegri is one of my most favorite managers and I have said multiple times I'll want him here after Mourinho, but my point is that by no means he was giving a free ride for Paul to do what he wants in the midfield. The total freedom concept can only be applied on forwards and attackers. Paul is a midfielder and he'll need to do a work on the pitch both offensively and defensively.

dirkey

At times like these when things are not working out for him, i feel a person like Ibra, who is quite senior and accomplished and well respected would've got through to him. We have no one in our team(currently) with a similar profile is a problem.
Carrick is not senior and respected you don't think?!

Rossa

Good game from Pogba and also Lukaku yesterday, but let’s remember they were playing for great international sides against a very poor Russia and the minnows Saudi Arabia. Hell, I’d even expect my precious Norway to give these two teams a good run... and that says a whole lot.
Too far, mate. Too far:D

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Just play him next to Matic and put Jesse Lingard to help out in midfield three, not this nonsense with McTominay, Sanchez on the right and Rashford on the left. Swansea is the best game to try this out

redIndianDevil

Allegri is one of my most favorite managers and I have said multiple times I'll want him here after Mourinho, but my point is that by no means he was giving a free ride for Paul to do what he wants in the midfield. The total freedom concept can only be applied on forwards and attackers. Paul is a midfielder and he'll need to do a work on the pitch both offensively and defensively.
I think Pogba would be much better for us in midfield if we actually pressed as a team as soon as we lost the ball higher up the pitch instead of the current low block approach. The low block means that our midfielders and wingers have to cover very huge distances on the pitch and make lung bursting runs constantly, which I don't think players creative players like very much.

If Mourinho wants the low block approach when we lose the ball, he should ditch the likes of Martial, Pogba, Mata and get in players suited to that style.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
By the way Pogba wasn't particularly good, neither was Rabiot.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Just play him next to Matic and put Jesse Lingard to help out in midfield three, not this nonsense with McTominay, Sanchez on the right and Rashford on the left. Swansea is the best game to try this out
We've done that a couple of times recently and Pogba didn't play well and Lingard's form dropped by playing there. Lingard has great movement, but he's not a central midfielder.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
We've done that a couple of times recently and Pogba didn't play well and Lingard's form dropped by playing there. Lingard has great movement, but he's not a central midfielder.
yet he was the best rated player in both friendlies against Netherlands and Italy according to whoscore I think, 1+1 too.. he's not a bad option there, he wasn;t the best there but overall form of the team hugely dropped over that time and was even worse without him in the team.. not saying playing deep but attacking box to box to help out Pogba would be good, Pogba sitting like for Deschamps more and spread the balls with an occasional run with Lingard covering and joining as a second striker, he's done well in that position for Southgate even under U21, he's not totally new there, just need games there..

PepsiCola

We got dominated that match though, we were amazingly lucky to win. Our midfield was trashed by theirs.
Aay, but under that pressure he found his way to walk through their defence a few times.

Quoted poster hinted he couldn't do it under pressure.

Member 90678

Explain his form prior to the Sanchez signing.

Bosses it against arsenal away.

Bore off
:wenger:

Top class players should be doing it week in week out with the odd bad game.
Starting to get ridiculous when a players game is judged on 1 good pass or a good shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
yet he was the best rated player in both friendlies against Netherlands and Italy according to whoscore I think, 1+1 too.. he's not a bad option there, he wasn;t the best there but overall form of the team hugely dropped over that time and was even worse without him in the team.. not saying playing deep but attacking box to box to help out Pogba would be good, Pogba sitting like for Deschamps more and spread the balls with an occasional run with Lingard covering and joining as a second striker, he's done well in that position for Southgate even under U21, he's not totally new there, just need games there..
I haven't watched the international games, so all I can do is comment on how it's gone for us in those couple of recent games we've played Pogba-Matic-Lingard. It didn't really work, although maybe that's just because Pogba has been in poor form in general. Personally I'd be interested in seeing Fellaini play that role for now; Pogba-Matic-Fellaini played well together in a number of matches earlier in the season.

EyeInTheSky

The only issue is that he's rarely given that much space and time in the PL. He was given a clear pass angle, which is also rare for him to find.
no its the runners. You need intelligent runners. Rashford and Martial rarely give that as they choose to dribble the ball over running in behind or between. Need some chemistry with Lukaku not dropping so deep or sanchez running to divert defenders or vice versa with Lukaku.

EyeInTheSky

Mourinho's one of the greatest managers in history and Deschamps, for all his faults as a coach, was a brilliant #6. If Pogba is going to play in a double pivot they are great options to learn from.

NO! he should be listening to random idiots on a football forum!!

Agreed.

Its strange how Pogba's time at Juventus is being depicted as though he had no defensive duties. Like Allegri is some sort of Italian Kevin Keegan!? :lol:

The truth is, whereas at Juve Pogba was part of the crew, United have deliberately inflated Pogba's ego e.g. releasing a Pogmoji before a Liverpool game etc. Yet now Paul is behaving like the star the club has told him he is people are surprised. If you go out of your way to tell a player they're special they're likely to expect special treatment.
NO! he should be listening to random idiots on a football forum!!

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I haven't watched the international games, so all I can do is comment on how it's gone for us in those couple of recent games we've played Pogba-Matic-Lingard. It didn't really work, although maybe that's just because Pogba has been in poor form in general. Personally I'd be interested in seeing Fellaini play that role for now; Pogba-Matic-Fellaini played well together in a number of matches earlier in the season.
wow another immmobile player in midfield and the most antifootball one too, sorry there is nothing to discuss, not sure when it worked or when lingad in midfield didnt work but those were some different games and fellaini in any lineup is just mid table ambitions, we've seen that so many times. he has a good game here and there scores a header form the far post and puts in a shift but we get overrun in midfield and rely on hoofing the ball forward, fecking Sam Allardyce football. This is Manchester United, I don't really know if people still remember some football 2-3 years and more back before SAF finished, that was totally something else, he would have never played fellaini over Lingard even in midfield.

Fellaini hould be back up at best, hope he's sold personally, because he always seems like an option to every manager he serrved under in United and he should be nowehre near the first team and even from the bench we could influence the game differently and better at times then just hoofing it. Sorry I don't agree at all

PepsiCola

:wenger:

Top class players should be doing it week in week out with the odd bad game.
Starting to get ridiculous when a players game is judged on 1 good pass or a good shot.
Even the best go through patches of bad form.

James Peril

We got dominated that match though, we were amazingly lucky to win. Our midfield was trashed by theirs.
Jesus, learn how football dynamics work. We were 2-0 up away from home against a decent side, in a tie with decades of history, of course they are going to chase the game. Do you think they would have had that pressure until the 80th minute if they were 1-0 up? Of course not - we would have been chasing the game as much as we wanted to. Did they smack us? Certainly, but we could afford to let them - and we scored on a counter, which was probably Mourinho’s plan.

edcunited1878

no its the runners. You need intelligent runners. Rashford and Martial rarely give that as they choose to dribble the ball over running in behind or between. Need some chemistry with Lukaku not dropping so deep or sanchez running to divert defenders or vice versa with Lukaku.
It's a combination of everyone, however when isolating his assist last night, that's poor defending and shape. Pogba will pick apart defenses, like any player with class talent, with that much time, space and zero pressure.

Martial, Pogba, Lingard and Lukaku have good movement and understanding between them. I have seen very little of this whenever Sanchez is on the pitch.

dirkey

Explain his form prior to the Sanchez signing.

Bosses it against arsenal away.

Bore off
Ha. Bosses it against Arsenal. Hilarious. Arsenal absolutely battered United that day. But yep, a few highlight moments means he bosses it.

dirkey

Jesus, learn how football dynamics work. We were 2-0 up away from home against a decent side, in a tie with decades of history, of course they are going to chase the game. Do you think they would have had that pressure until the 80th minute if they were 1-0 up? Of course not - we would have been chasing the game as much as we wanted to. Did they smack us? Certainly, but we could afford to let them - and we scored on a counter, which was probably Mourinho’s plan.
Fair enough, but explain how Pogba bossed that game, which is the post that was being replied to?

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Completely different body language to playing at United. His passing was crisp and he was constantly finding runners.
I have not seen the match, but by looking at that video, it seems that the men in red had downed tools are were refusing to put in a tackle.
If I were their manager, I'd have subbed all 10 outfield players for that dreadful, collective display.
Those players in red, play for their nation and they put in a performance like that. I'd hang my head in shame, if I were them.
I can only assume that it had been arranged before the match, that the players in red, would not take any risks, with regards to injury. When the WC kicks of in Russia, if they play like that, they will take one heck of a beating.
In fact, I'd fancy a womens team being able to bully those red shirts. ;)

Anyway, it is clear from the above that Pogba can certainly play well, when the opponent refuses to tackle. The problem for him is that he plays in the EPL, he won't be given that privilege and I certainly wouldn't judge Pogba from that game against the red shirts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have not seen the match, but by looking at that video, it seems that the men in red had downed tools are were refusing to put in a tackle.
If I were their manager, I'd have subbed all 10 outfield players for that dreadful, collective display.
Those players in red, play for their nation and they put in a performance like that. I'd hang my head in shame, if I were them.
I can only assume that it had been arranged before the match, that the players in red, would not take any risks, with regards to injury. When the WC kicks of in Russia, if they play like that, they will take one heck of a beating.
In fact, I'd fancy a womens team being able to bully those red shirts. ;)

Anyway, it is clear from the above that Pogba can certainly play well, when the opponent refuses to tackle. The problem for him is that he plays in the EPL, he won't be given that privilege and I certainly wouldn't judge Pogba from that game against the red shirts.
And the men in red mainly dominated the midfield battle, if it wasn't for Kanté the result would have been totally different since Rabiot and Pogba played with zero intensity.

Jib

Pogba had a loads of freedom with Allegri because he built the team around Pogba and he was more an AM than a CM. He was the absolute star of the team ;)

When he left, Dybala became the new talisman and to get the best out of him, Allegri moved to the 4231 because without Pogba the 352 was shite :cool:

With Alllegri, Pogba was a top 15 player in the world because he truely understood the player that Pogba is.

With Deschamps and Mourinho, Pogba isn't even in the top 50 :lol:

PepsiCola

Ha. Bosses it against Arsenal. Hilarious. Arsenal absolutely battered United that day. But yep, a few highlight moments means he bosses it.
Again.

The quoted poster said he couldn't do it under pressure.

We were under great pressure vs Arsenal and Pogba had some great pieces of play.

Walters_19_MuFc

We swept teams away using a 4231, with Pogba in a double pivot.

He was easily our best player at the start of the season, and was pivotal to us playing well, in my opinion.

Mourinho has a decision to make for next season, though.

Either build the team around Pogba, changing the formation and personnel to suit Pogba or continue with a 4231 in the majority of games, where Pogba will need to play in a double pivot, which means attack and defend to a good standard.

Having said that, Jose has made it clear he wants a midfielder, which means:

1) Buying someone to compliment Pogba, possibly changing to a 433

2) Adding more quality to our squad

James Peril

I see David May is slagging him off to make himself interesting. Siting his best position as left of a midfield three, like against Everton - failing to mention that Everton are absolutely atrocious. Also mentioning his hair styles and changes, off-field antics. Wow, really original stuff David May - came up with that yourself?

First of all David, you’re a 50 year old man - please stop talking about hairstyles and modern life. Also, it’s been 20 years since you amazingly managed to be associated with United, football has changed quite considerably since you retired (without anyone giving a shit).

dirkey

Again.

The quoted poster said he couldn't do it under pressure.

We were under great pressure vs Arsenal and Pogba had some great pieces of play.
Great pieces of play is bossing it now? I give up. Memphis had some great pieces of play at times too, I guess he bossed it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I see David May is slagging him off to make himself interesting. Siting his best position as left of a midfield three, like against Everton - failing to mention that Everton are absolutely atrocious. Also mentioning his hair styles and changes, off-field antics. Wow, really original stuff David May - came up with that yourself?

First of all David, you’re a 50 year old man - please stop talking about hairstyles and modern life. Also, it’s been 20 years since you amazingly managed to be associated with United, football has changed quite considerably since you retired (without anyone giving a shit).
I couldn't even care less about what Scholes and Giggs got to say these days, nevermind David May :lol:

I don't think hairstyle could affect players performance on the pitch that much (Unless if They lose a bet and have to dye their hair polkadot or something like that). If you're not injured and you're performing badly, it's your mind that does it to you.. which I think is the case with Pogba.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Pogba hasn’t bossed much since he’s come here. Some great skill and passing, 14 assists is pretty good too but he’s never really bossed a big game enough for us for him to warrant the free role he seems to want, in fact he’s flattered to deceive so far. Hopefully next year is his year!

Last edited:

PepsiCola

Great pieces of play is bossing it now? I give up. Memphis had some great pieces of play at times too, I guess he bossed it.
Damn comparing Pogba to Memphis? Pogba agenda has gone into overdrive.

He bullied the arsenal defence and got an assist when we most needed it, effectively killing the game off for us.

Again, done when we were under great pressure - conditions under which @edgar allan stipulated Pogba couldn't do anything.

Critical reading comprehension is a rare thing on this forum, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.