Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He just creates chances easily. He isnt the all controlling midfielder, few are at 24. Maybe he won't ever be, but he does so many things so well.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He'll always be a Giggs type that divides opinion. Those frustrated easily by individualism will always find him annoying no matter how good he is. He's very clearly a moments player. When he produces moments that no-one else can then I can easily forgive the brainless, selfish moments.
That is true to an extent, but he's also more than that. His central role for United's ball circulation and build up play is often overlooked because many people reduce everything to these fantastic or brainless moments.

For example, reading a lot of posts here on Matic and Pogba, one would not expect these stats for HT1:

Pogba: 42 passes on 54 touches (87% successful), 1 turnover
Matic: 34 passes on 48 touches (82% successful), 1 turnover

(Btw, I agree Matic has been Utd's best player in that half)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There was a video floating around toward the end of last season showing the amount of chances he'd created that other players had fecked up, and he could have had another two assists today. He's a chance creating machine.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Supreme so far. 90% playing simple as he should, 10% genius.

Nick7

There was a video floating around toward the end of last season showing the amount of chances he'd created that other players had fecked up, and he could have had another two assists today. He's a chance creating machine.
He's so dangerous. He seems to see everything a step ahead in an attacking sense. Hopefully the rest of our players can all get on the same wavelength.

What I love is that he has a love for the fancy hutch he's not afraid of playing the simple game and keep us ticking over.

Man-United

Had just 4% of the man of the match votes when I voted for him :eek: That's his best game in the United shirt.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He makes my old(ish) heart feels young. Such a very fine and exciting young midfielder that Pogba.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Terrific today. Deserved his goal. Needs to keep this consistency in the bigger games where he shows glimpses of his talent but doesn't do it over the 90 mins.

Icemav

Was taking the piss at times. When it work for him it is magic to watch. Him and Matic is going to be a scary midfield this year. Conte must be gutted.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is not surprising at all. He put in loads of such performances last season. Only thing he needs to do up the game against the bigger teams. Sublime today.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Was like playing FIFA on Amateur, he's just utterly majestic on the ball.

Nobody gets near him on a day like today.

el3mel

Bossed the midfield and great goal.

Him and Matic make a perfect pair.

Kapardin

He can definitely score 15-20 goals, which would be amazing for any midfielder, but a norm for someone of his talent. Matic just might be key to unleashing his true ability.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That is true to an extent, but he's also more than that. His central role for United's ball circulation and build up play is often overlooked because many people reduce everything to these fantastic or brainless moments.

For example, reading a lot of posts here on Matic and Pogba, one would not expect these stats for HT1:

Pogba: 42 passes on 54 touches (87% successful), 1 turnover
Matic: 34 passes on 48 touches (82% successful), 1 turnover

(Btw, I agree Matic has been Utd's best player in that half)
Yeah, I agree. I said much the same last year:

We might have a more dynamic game but the idea that his only contribution is long, direct balls is silly. Of the 1400 players that have played at least 90 minutes across the top 5 leagues, he ranks 17th for average passes per game. 2nd in the Premier League. Ahead of the likes of Kroos, Weigl, Koke, Silva, Modric and many other caf favourites.

Of those 75 passes per game, 5.5 of them are what is categorised as "long passes". The likes of Kroos (8), Alcantara (7), Henderson (7), Alonso (6) make more long passes overall, and as a proportion of their passes either the same proportion or higher are long passes.

That's a long way of saying Pogba makes a feck-tonne of short passes. 70 a game. More than the vast, vast, vast majority in Europe. If that isn't an indication of his influence on our team then I'm not sure what is. It's obviouslt true that making a short pass does not equal influencing the game, but making that volume of passes undoubtedly underlines a level of influence. There's a reason the other midfielders in there are all recognised as key players in their team.

We take it for granted that Pogba has that level of involvement because we hold him to such high standards in every facet of the game - defending, controlling the game, creating, scoring. We do that because he has a vast array of talents and pops up in all areas, but the reality is that one talent for ball circulation is hugely influential for us. We might well be more dynamic but we generally lose a level of control when he's not playing. We've played dominant attacking football throughout this season and that's undoubtedly partly down to Pogba. The fact his fatigue has coincided with our loss of dominance is hardly surprising in that context.
I suppose I was commenting more on how he'd be judged, than what he actually contributed. He'll also do stupid, selfish stuff so I think he'll always have a Giggs-esque reputation. Maybe he'll tone it down later in his career. I expect him to be a better player than Giggs at his peak.

@sammsky1...can you see his talent yet?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
@sammsky1...can you see his talent yet?
Good performance today and he certainly improved in 2nd half. Seems as though Matic will really help him. Glad he scored today too as it will hopefully inspire him to 15 goals this season.

No complaints today, but the game was won because of Matic, Rashford and Lukaku so I dont think its as amaizng as you are suggesting Lets see how the season develops against tougher opposition and bigger games.

We need an rvn

confidence building performance and hopefully he's going to learn more and more how Matic plays and how to trust him and thus no need to try to dominate all midfield by himself. He's going to score set up a good number and score a few beauties for sure. Think he was a little underestimated by a few on here today but justifiably Matic / Lukaku get the plaudits!

WhoDaGOAT

Good performance today and he certainly improved in 2nd half. Seems as though Matic will really help him. Glad he scored today too as it will hopefully inspire him to 15 goals this season.

No complaints today, but the game was won because of Matic, Rashford and Lukaku so I dont think its as amaizng as you are suggesting Lets see how the season develops against tougher opposition and bigger games.
I think he's incredibly overrated by fans on this board due to a fear of letting opposition fans think we bought a dud.

He clearly has talent, but his decision making still isn't quite there. He produces moments of quality rather than minutes of sheer domination. Basically a winger in a midfield position. He produced 3 or 4 moments of quality today. Real quality. And that's often enough to sway the masses.

He was good, but not 9/10 good. Hart should have done better for his goal. Rashford robbed him of an assist or two.

Sylar

There were some moments which would have been frustrating, but it was at 2-0 up, which is ideal time to try tricks esp in opposition half.

Glad he got his goal, was robbed off a few assists as well... again :lol:

Quizierda

Oh boy, I love seeing this guy play!
Was great today and really happy for him that he got that goal. Matic will help him to play his style and with Herrera coming in too he should have plenty of freedom this season to play more upfront. He can create, he can shoot and he can stand his man - he's got all it needs and hopefully he will silence the doubters this season. Great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.