g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Paul Pogba image 6

Paul Pogba France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Entitled to your opinion but to be honest you're wrong. It was a cynical foul to break the counter. Nothing like Solskjaer and certainly not a red card offence.
You're part of the problem then.

It wasn't a bad foul as far as cynical fouls to break the counter go but I'm saying all cynical fouls to break the counter should be red. I'm not singling out Pogba but it's a lot like Solskjaer in the psychology behind doing it (the only way I can stop them is to kick them and knock them down) and it should be rightfully given a red. It's not a tackle and it's from behind, you can't even tackle from behind nowadays so why does a legitimate kick from behind not get punished accordingly?

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan

It wasn't a bad foul as far as cynical fouls to break the counter go but I'm saying all cynical fouls to break the counter should be red. I'm not singling out Pogba but it's a lot like Solskjaer in the psychology behind doing it (the only way I can stop them is to kick them and knock them down) and it should be rightfully given a red. It's not a tackle and it's from behind, you can't even tackle from behind nowadays so why does a legitimate kick from behind not get punished accordingly?
The state of this forum is hilarious. Let's change the rules of football shall we?

Andy_Cole

Are you creating your own rule book? Whilst your at it shall we get rid of away goals too?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was brilliant yesterday wasn't he! I've slagged him off plenty since he's joined, because we haven't seen this performance. Next season I want to see this Pogba, fair play to him.
Ps. Given I'm a petty man I still want that blue out of his hair :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

You're suggesting that the punishment for chopping a player down on the counter be equal to that of chopping a player down whom was through on goal?

In one instance you have a player who is through on goal with no one to oppose him other the keeper, which is a clear-cut goal scoring opportunity, bringing him down would prevent that and rightfully result in a red card.

In the second instance you have a player preparing a counter attack intent on creating a goal scoring opportunity, but he still has a wealth of defenders to surpass in order to achieve that.

Do you not see the distinction between these two scenarios?

Handré1990

Look, I'm well aware that referees show leniency, especially in derby games and nobody actually wants anyone to be sent off.

I just have a major problem with anyone, our player or otherwise hacking down an opponent cynically to stop a counter. It's laughed off, especially by ex-pros on commentary/in the studio as clever play but it's pure shithousery and it needs to start being punished so players stop doing it.

Remember when Ole chased after the Newcastle player and hacked him down?

Quite rightly it was a red card and yeah he was through on goal and Ole was last man so you can argue that's why he got a red instead but it's literally a kick instead of a tackle and it happens so often.

We as fans absolutely loved it but SAF was apoplectic after it because it's such a shit thing to do.

And Pogba was on one after the Lingard tackle so you can see as he's chasing the City player he just kicks him. It should have been a red card in the same way the Solskjaer one was.
I agree, Ole was so great!

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
You're suggesting that the punishment for chopping a player down on the counter be equal to that of chopping a player down whom was through on goal?

In one instance you have a player who is through on goal with no one to oppose him other the keeper, which is a clear-cut goal scoring opportunity, bringing him down would prevent that and rightfully result in a red card.

In the second instance you have a player preparing a counter attack intent on creating a goal scoring opportunity, but he still has a wealth of defenders to surpass in order to achieve that.

Yeah. I'm all for tactical fouls. Just smart management.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A lot is being said of Pogba’s ‘aha’ moment about late runs into the box after the City game. The thing is he’s always had that in his game, however at United HE is the one that has to feed the balls to those runners, no one else in the team syncs with him the way he wants to. It’s no surprise that with Sanchez he truly feels that he can apply himself to those runs and have benefit.

Next season will be phenomenal for him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
In this thread, someone tries to change the rules of football because of Psychology.

TheReligion

Abusive

From what you're suggesting then City would have had two reds earlier in the game then. Masters of breaking up play with cynical fouls.

Yellow for me, not red.

matherto

Yes I see the distinction between an obvious goal scoring opportunity and the start of a counter attack. I've stated that repeatedly and obviously you're fecking blind so you're not reading it.

Both are still obvious fouls that serve no need other than impede the opponent. They're not attempts at tackles, they're deliberate kicks, trips, etc. How is that allowed to be part of the game? It's fecking wrong that it's just laughed off as part of the game when it's blatantly bad cheating. You can't just leg someone up as they're running if you're in front of them and tackles from behind are seen as worse than that so if you chase after someone and blatantly kick them with no attempt to get the ball whatsoever it should be a red card.

Perhaps this needs to be in a different thread so as not to derail from Pogba's performances.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A lot is being said of Pogba’s ‘aha’ moment about late runs into the box after the City game. The thing is he’s always had that in his game, however at United HE is the one that has to feed the balls to those runners, no one else in the team syncs with him the way he wants to. It’s no surprise that with Sanchez he truly feels that he can apply himself to those runs and have benefit.

He mentioned that in interview, that Sanchez asked him to make run when after passing the ball and he will always see him.

matherto

Why not mention them then? Pogba did nothing differently. If you tried to implement a straight red for every single cynical foul then teams would end up 5 a side by the 90 minute mark.
Because it's Pogba's thread so I talked about Pogba.

Initially I mentioned that a City player should've gotten a red for smashing into Lingard and also mentioned throughout my posts that City players had been doing niggly fouls all game because that's what they do. I haven't ignored them in the slightest.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Since when have tactical fouls been allowed? Surely that is a contradiction since if it was allowed it wouldnt be a foul?

roonster09

Scout
Because it's Pogba's thread so I talked about Pogba.

Initially I mentioned that a City player should've gotten a red for smashing into Lingard and also mentioned throughout my posts that City players had been doing niggly fouls all game because that's what they do. I haven't ignored them in the slightest.
You are just digging a bigger hole with every post. If Pogba deserved red card then many games will finish 7 vs 7.

matherto

In this thread, someone tries to change the rules of football because of Psychology.
If you ignore the psychology in football then you're not paying attention.

Pogba was wound up by the time he kicked him, he was nowhere near the ball, he blatantly chopped him down, he did it on impulse because he was annoyed.

matherto

You are just digging a bigger hole with every post. If Pogba deserved red card then many games will finish 7 vs 7.
And eventually, if referees actually did that and sent people off for it, it wouldn't happen.

Same with actually giving penalties in the box when players are being held.

Same with diving.

roonster09

Scout
And eventually, if referees actually did that and sent people off for it, it wouldn't happen.

Same with actually giving penalties in the box when players are being held.

Same with diving.
Also foul everytime player touches other player too.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If you ignore the psychology in football then you're not paying attention.

Pogba was wound up by the time he kicked him, he was nowhere near the ball, he blatantly chopped him down, he did it on impulse because he was annoyed.
Do you charge for your mind reading services?

When I watched, I thought that there was a dangerous counter attack and Pogba did the smart thing and took a yellow card for the team. So there's that.

matherto

Also foul everytime player touches other player too.
No you melt, there's a distinction there. I'm not asking for any contact to be called a foul, I'm asking for a serious foul to be treated as a serious foul.

Anyway, started a thread for it.

Back to Pogba and his performances.

Last edited:

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Genuine question: I watched the match but didn't see the buildup or starting lineups.

In the role Pogba was playing in the first half yesterday, should he have been more active in his tracking back for the 2-0, or was his position ahead of that responsibility?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Genuine question: I watched the match but didn't see the buildup or starting lineups.

In the role Pogba was playing in the first half yesterday, should he have been more active in his tracking back for the 2-0, or was his position ahead of that responsibility?
There was a 25 minute period in that first half where our entire midfield was out of position, Pogba included. City were running rings around is at that point.

He absolutely should have been tracking back more.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
There was a 25 minute period in that first half where our entire midfield was out of position, Pogba included. City were running rings around is at that point.

He absolutely should have been tracking back more.
But with the goal it wasn't so much a positional thing, but literally a Yaya-esque shuffle back in the vague direction of the goal. Just figured if Mourinho was happy with his performance that half, maybe his instructions were to to stay in a position ahead of that, as an outlet for transitions?

James Peril

I just wonder how far he was from being substituted at half-time, it would have been a very Mourinho-thing to do.... imagine McTominay out there instead of him in the second half... it would have been over.

Master class performance from Pogba, which shows we have to put him forward in every single game.

RedCurry

Master class performance from Pogba, which shows we have to put him forward in every single game.
It’s not just a matter of us putting him forward. We’ve done that in many games this season and he’s been poor. He will always have the license to drive forward as long as he is quick enough to sprint back to help out defense. That’s a proper midfielder’s job. In order for him to do that, he has to get smarter with his forward runs. For example, yesterday he made 30 yard central late run without the ball, knowing well that Sanchez can produce a good ball in. That’s him using his wit.

If he made a run on the wing to put the cross himself, he’ll leave the central midfield wide open for a counter. That’s a stupid forward run and you would never see Lampard or Scholes be interested in those types of runs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He did that?
Yeah shortly after Fernandinho's swipe at Lingard he got booked for swiping the legs of another City player as they were about to break.

It was quite deep in City's own half however so I cant remember if it was "taking one for the team" or if he just wanted to give City a taste of their own medicine in rough play after he saw what they did with Lingard.

Either way it was nice to watch

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Yea, hope we see loads more of this. Specially those two linking. I'm sure they can both provide for each other.

It must be difficult to deal with someone like Pogba running into the box like that. He's bigger and more dynamic than most, but also has a weird bounding, kinda gangly run that would be offputting enough to not know what the feck to do :lol:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Yeah shortly after Fernandinho's swipe at Lingard he got booked for swiping the legs of another City player as they were about to break.

It was quite deep in City's own half however so I cant remember if it was "taking one for the team" or if he just wanted to give City a taste of their own medicine in rough play after he saw what they did with Lingard.

Either way it was nice to watch
Twas on Otamendi, and he got booked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.