Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yeah shortly after Fernandinho's swipe at Lingard he got booked for swiping the legs of another City player as they were about to break.

It was quite deep in City's own half however so I cant remember if it was "taking one for the team" or if he just wanted to give City a taste of their own medicine in rough play after he saw what they did with Lingard.

Either way it was nice to watch
I should have added white text.

It was a crap joke based upon the manner in which this thread has been derailed discussing the tackle.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Pogba in that second half was a player we've hardly seen in a United shirt.
The problem with this performance is we know he can produce it, it just feels he can never be arsed to.

Although Jose did let the shackles off in that second half, and yet again, we looked much better as a team for it.
You could just see, especially after that second goal, he wanted, if not needed that 3rd goal. Whenever we moved the ball forward, he charged into the box.
We need Pogba to play with that type of desire more often.
Somebody said a few days ago that he kept things simple, ticking over, and in that second half he looked better for it, instead of trying to work his way 3 or 4 people.

Pass and Move

The problem with this performance is we know he can produce it, it just feels he can never be arsed to.

Although Jose did let the shackles off in that second half, and yet again, we looked much better as a team for it.
You could just see, especially after that second goal, he wanted, if not needed that 3rd goal. Whenever we moved the ball forward, he charged into the box.
Somebody said a few days ago that he kept things simple, ticking over, and in that second half he looked better for it, instead of trying to work his way 3 or 4 people.
I take issue with this sort of Pogba criticism. He's our best player bar de Gea, and clearly think a move ahead of all our other players except from Sanchez, maybe Herrera, and last season Zlatan. It's no surprise that when the rest of the team play with greater urgency his game comes to fruition.

In the first half his 'poor performance' surely stems from the fact than in part he often had 3 or 4 city players on him when he had the ball.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I take issue with this sort of Pogba criticism. He's our best player bar de Gea, and clearly think a move ahead of all our other players except from Sanchez, maybe Herrera, and last season Zlatan. It's no surprise that when the rest of the team play with greater urgency his game comes to fruition.

In the first half his 'poor performance' surely stems from the fact than in part he often had 3 or 4 city players on him when he had the ball.
You could almost argue then that if he was able to play the ball out in this situation we'd have a lot of room to expose teams, being that he is world class and all.
But no, I do agree with what you're getting at. I feel a more attacking system would help as players around him are moving. We saw it in the second half. Players made space, yet in the first half, we just stand still

Rasfene

King pogba can perform whenever he feels like it. Just look at his performances for France and united in the last 2 matches.

That's why he's the most expensive player in the world and the most complete player after C.Ronaldo. How lucky united got him after getting Ronaldo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Exactly yeah. If he keeps it simple, he can grow into confidence during games

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
King pogba can perform whenever he feels like it. Just look at his performances for France and united in the last 2 matches.

That's why he's the most expensive player in the world and the most complete player after C.Ronaldo. How lucky united got him after getting Ronaldo.

Would it not be better if he performed every week rather than just when he feels like it?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Would it not be better if he performed every week rather than just when he feels like it?
Well there's the whole issue there.

AR87

With the addition of a playmaker from the wing like Sanchez I think we need another box-to-box all action type in CM to compete with Herrera rather than a CM creator. This should allow Pogba more freedom to get forward frequently.

dirkey

I didn't get to see the game on Saturday unfortunately .. but fair play to Pogba by the sound of it. I've given him enough criticism, but he got in there and got us back into that game. Delighted for him. Hopefully he can push on now and be the player his talent deserves.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

:drool: World class player. On his day top 3 midfielder in the world without a doubt.
Agreed

On his day he is a cut above everyone around him, opposition players and and team mates alike, he just needs to have those days more often. I actually like him more when he keeps it simple - straight forward passes, moving intelligently and generally keeping things ticking over - rather attempting crazy dribbles and hollywood passes all the time. He is often guilty of trying to do to much, similar to Martial in many respects.

Jose needs to assist in his progression, unshackling him will go a long way in achieving that.

buckooo1978

listened to his post match interview there

he really paid tribute to Michael Carrick in giving him feedback and coaching him - get the feeling Carrick is going t have a big future at the club

he told us all what we already know as well - he can't make those kind of runs into the box or get heavily involved in attacks as when he plays in a midfield 2 he has to sit

a waste of his talents to some degree - why did Mourinho buy him to play him deep? Did Mourinho buy him or is this a Woody signing?

SirAF

Ageist

he really paid tribute to Michael Carrick in giving him feedback and coaching him - get the feeling Carrick is going t have a big future at the club

he told us all what we already know as well - he can't make those kind of runs into the box or get heavily involved in attacks as when he plays in a midfield 2 he has to sit

a waste of his talents to some degree - why did Mourinho buy him to play him deep? Did Mourinho buy him or is this a Woody signing?
Mourinho obviously decides who to sign - he also wanted Pogba when he was at Chelsea. Either way, I suspect United will try to get another top CM to go next to Matic in order to free up Pogba.

Lam

KDB contributes 1 Goal/Assist every 111 minutes in the PL
Pogba contributes 1 Goal/Assist every 102 minutes in the PL

One is criticized for not defending and called a luxury player, while the other is praised for his attacking instinct

One is criticized for not defending and called a luxury player, while the other is praised for his attacking instinct
I'm not at all surprised with those stats as I think Pogba has been top drawer this season and has also been very good in some big games, Arsenal away, Chelsea home, City away. He had a 7 week or so spell with some really off performances after his injury was all.

But that's football today, 7 weeks or so of poor form and people ignore all the good work that came before it. It's a shame really.

el3mel

TBF, KDB played more games and minutes in EPL than Paul.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
KDB still played far more minutes in the league than Paul, so if he's contributing 1 goal or assist every 111 in far more minutes played than Paul, it makes his stats look better.
Sort of agree but KdB also plays in very attacking team and he plays more in final third than Pogba. He also takes many of their set pieces too.

el3mel

I'm not getting the logic there.

How many minutes have the two of them played?
KDB contributed 15 assists and 7 goal in 2684 minutes. Pogba contributed 5 goals and 9 assists in 1738 minutes. I think KDB having a similar ratio of contribution as Paul while playing more minutes give him advantage.

Stadjer

:drool: World class player. On his day top 3 midfielder in the world without a doubt.
I dont understand all the critisism he gets.. look at that video and you can see some stuff no other midfielder in the world could/would do. There might be more efficient midfielders but none are also as entertaining as Pogba. The way he goes past some of those players in that video makes those players look like amateurs.

I really cant understand people want him to be sold

POF

One thing that really confuses me about this "Pogba in a midfield 2" stuff is that people who generally have good knowledge of football don't seem to realise that the required make up of a team's midfield may differ between Man City away and West Brom at home.

roonster09

Scout
One thing that really confuses me about this "Pogba in a midfield 2" stuff is that people who generally have good knowledge of football don't seem to realise that the required make up of a team's midfield may differ between Man City away and West Brom at home.
You can also make a good argument that changing all the time is not good, players need run of games and lot of games to fully master any roles they are asked to play.

Ole90+3

This bit confused me. I understand Mourinho allowing him more freedom to make forward runs and get into attacking positions, but we didn't change our personnel. We played with a midfield 3 the whole game. It was the attitude and the intent that changed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This bit confused me. I understand Mourinho allowing him more freedom to make forward runs and get into attacking positions, but we didn't change our personnel. We played with a midfield 3 the whole game. It was the attitude and the intent that changed.
Yeah, exactly. Plus Pogba's had crap games before despite being part of a midfield three. It's a gross over-simplification to think/imply that picking a three man midfield will "fix" Pogba and a strange game to use as evidence, with the best and worst of his game on display in each half - despite us using the same formation throughout.

Formation aside, it's possible that Mourinho had a word in his ear at half-time to encourage him to get in the opposition box more but neither the manager nor the player allude to anything of the sort. Something happened inside Pogba's head that fired him up enough to belatedly impose himself on the game. Ideally, we don't want to have to wait until we're two nil down in a league decider for him to do what he did in the second half.

POF

You can also make a good argument that changing all the time is not good, players need run of games and lot of games to fully master any roles they are asked to play.
The issue is that playing left of a 3 away at City and left of a 3 at home to West Brom are actually very different roles. One (City) involves having lots of space where Pogba can use his athleticism. The other (an advanced position against a parked bus) involves playing more in confined spaces, which isn't Pogba's forte.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I don't want to overplay the Carrick thing but it would be tremendous if he really is influential with Pogba. That's exactly the type of character he needs in his ear.

roonster09

Scout
The issue is that playing left of a 3 away at City and left of a 3 at home to West Brom are actually very different roles. One (City) involves having lots of space where Pogba can use his athleticism. The other (an advanced position against a parked bus) involves playing more in confined spaces, which isn't Pogba's forte.
Pogba is better than most in our squad when it comes to playing in right spaces, I think only Sanchez is better.

I understand what you are saying, against teams that sit deep and plays only defence it shouldn't matter how many CMs we play. We will be attacking whole game anyways. So in midfield 2 or 3, Pogba will be playing very attacking role.

buckooo1978

true

it was the entire philosophy - in the first half we were passive until City were well into our half with Pogba and Herrera deeper.

in the second we pushed much further up, pressed higher and it was a glorious Herrera chest to Pogba for that first goal with both amongst our most advanced players.

POF

Pogba is better than most in our squad when it comes to playing in right spaces, I think only Sanchez is better.

I understand what you are saying, against teams that sit deep and plays only defence it shouldn't matter how many CMs we play. We will be attacking whole game anyways. So in midfield 2 or 3, Pogba will be playing very attacking role.
Yes, which is why this "he has to play left of a 3" causes problems against deep defences. Picking a player who is limited offensively like McTominay and leaving Martial/Rashford/Mata on the bench really limits the attacking quality of the side.

I also think Pogba is more effective when he simplifies his game and picks his moments to break forward or try something more creative rather than trying to do it with every touch.

He clearly wants an offensive role in the side with limited defensive responsibility but I don't think he is consistent enough in his end product to effectively play as a forward.

roonster09

Scout
Yes, which is why this "he has to play left of a 3" causes problems against deep defences. Picking a player who is limited offensively like McTominay and leaving Martial/Rashford/Mata on the bench really limits the attacking quality of the side.

I also think Pogba is more effective when he simplifies his game and picks his moments to break forward or try something more creative rather than trying to do it with every touch.

He clearly wants an offensive role in the side with limited defensive responsibility but I don't think he is consistent enough in his end product to effectively play as a forward.
I don't think problem is him not playing in 3 vs deep defences, it's him playing in 2 away from home against decent teams. At home against any non top 6 teams, he should play in 2 man midfield. It shouldn't be a problem as we will control most games. Away from home we will struggle as he isn't disciplined defensively and it's not his strongest attribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.