Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAME DIOUF 32

Irresponsible performance. Very disappointing when you consider he's been wearing the captain's armband.

goin4glory

I've been arguing for a while that bringing in a 10 like Griezmann or Ozil would be the answer but he just looks lost in a 4-2-3-1 during big games. Might need to prioritise a CM this summer and go to 4-3-3.

Silas

Yeah? Rashford hasn't started strutting around thinking he's Cristiano Ronaldo? Rashford has 100% become more lazy and self-entitled.
So how have you gathered that this is Pogba's fault? It's pure conjecture. You've put 2 and 2 together and got -7.

Biji.Kelot

Paul not be feeling the love, not being the best-paid/most written about player anymore, a lot of attention on the piano-tinkling new guy? It is possible to imagine that having some effect (awful if it has, but he is young, and human, and very egotistical and attention-seeking). If he did feel that way, other grieviances, like not loving Jose's tactical set-up (hard to blame him in this respect) might be made worse.
If Pogba felt all those above and decided to protest by playing badly, rather sell him to other clubs. But believe me, with his current performance no clubs in the world will bid more than we have paid. It could be less.

He is no longer a young inexperienced player. He should be adapt to his coach tactical astute. He should eat his ego for the sake of the team. If Mou told him to play as CM, he should try his best, maintain a discipline, and so on. Even if he has to crunch the tackle, he should do it. Show the Coach his commitment. He should be all out weeks after weeks.

Make me sad looking to the other side. KdB, despite suffered a horror tackle previously, keep playing all his best tonight. That is the World Class mentality.

Every big games, Pogba faded away. World Class is generous word. If he could not elevate his gameplay, we, United fan, will once again be disappointed.

Now, feel like we just bought the book only by its cover.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So how have you gathered that this is Pogba's fault? It's pure conjecture. You've put 2 and 2 together and got -7.
I’m not saying it’s Pogba’s fault. Pogba is also a victim of lack of management. He needs to be grounded.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
If Pogba felt all those above and decided to protest by playing badly, rather sell him to other clubs. But believe me, with his current performance no clubs in the world will bid more than we have paid. It could be less.

He is no longer a young inexperienced player. He should be adapt to his coach tactical astute. He should eat his ego for the sake of the team. If Mou told him to play as CM, he should try his best, maintain a discipline, and so on. Even if he has to crunch the tackle, he should do it. Show the Coach his commitment. He should be all out weeks after weeks.

Make me sad looking to the other side. KdB, despite suffered a horror tackle previously, keep playing all his best tonight. That is the World Class mentality.

Every big game, Pogba has faded away. World Class is generous word. If he could not elevate his gameplay, we, United fans, will once again be disappointed.

Now, feel like we just bought the book only by its cover.
Look, we know he is massively talented. He is also big-headed, indisciplined and not great defensively, even a bit of a bottler in challenges sometimes. I can't stand Souness, but words to that effect from him a while back stick in my mind. But don't forget we have seen Paul dominate games, and be stunningly brilliant. Hopefully Jose knows how to handle him. He took him off tonight for tactical reasons, and acknowledged that to the the press tonight. That's a slap on the wrist if ever i saw one. Lets keep fingers crossed that Paul reacts in the best way possible.

Silas

I’m not saying it’s Pogba’s fault. Pogba is also a victim of lack of management. He needs to be grounded.
You literally just said Rashford's poor mentality is down to him looking up to Pogba.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You don't invest that much money to buy a quality player and shoe-horn him into a position that doesn't let his abilities shine. You can find other players to do what's being asked of Pogba tonight. You buy Pogba so he can shine where he's best because that's where he can do things very few other players in the world can do.

Giggs86

And this is exactly why Pogba is not a captain material. He is a great player and had a bad game while playing out of position today, but he just doesn't have any leadership skills.

Annouchez

I'm not knee jerking here but have we all overestimated Pogbas football ability? I can't work it out if we are all disappointed he isn't basically Zidane because we've all bought into his marketing that suggests he is on par with the very best in the game or that he IS that level of footballer but just genuinely gets cold feet in big matches.

Overrated or a Pogba mental thing?! Arrgghhh can't work it out!

To be up there with the very best and be truly a world class talent you SHOULD be able to play in a midfield 2 as a midfielder at the very least. The tactics today on a whole wernt great and didn't help Pogba out but come on man...

Manny

Grammar Police
He and Matic were ridiculously out numbered in midfield what with Spurs playing so narrow.

No midfield two will be able to compete with that and thats where we needed lots of movement into space from Martial behind their midfield, or he needed to provide lots of workrate. Sanchez and Lingard were providing the workrate, Martial did neither. If Martial had just started making runs behind Dembele in the first half and Dier in the second, he'd have given them something else to think about and they wouldn't have been able to press our midfield as hard.

NoLogo

He simply works best in a 4-3-3 with a workhorse and a general next to him being allowed to drive forward and take risks. We have tried him before in the role he played today and it never really seemed to work in my view. Another problem like Manny pointed out was that we simply didn't have a tactical response to their two wingers playing super narrow and having a constant overload in the center.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone dominate Pogba physically like Dembele did today

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Some of what I said back in 2016 is coming to pass. We signed a top player to waste his ability.

Pogba alone won't solve our problems. He is used to having top players around him. Even if you take Pogba out of Juventus. They still have a better centre midfield than us.

Carrick/Schweinsteiger - Old/no legs injury prone. Herrera/Schneiderlin are promising but are no where near top level yet.

I think for Pogba to do well. We would need Kroos/Matuidi also. You could argue that buying Kroos & Matuidi is better option.

Pogba is not a Luka Modric the type of player that will dictate play he is someone who needs to be as forward as possible to be effective.

If you look at the players Pogba had around (Pirlo, Vidal & Marchisio) him in the 4 years he has been a Juventus and look at what they have no now compared to our current Central midfield the gulf is huge.

Pjanić was my number no.1 target this summer. Disappointed we didn't move for him.

Not saying I would not sign Pogba I still would but I think he needs a proper partner to truly thrive. We have too many squad/peripheral players, that extend beyond just the midfield.

I don't see the likes of Young, Lingard, Jones, Rojo, Valencia & Memphis setting the world alight for us. We know what most of them are capable of few of them should have been shipped years ago.

Link to original post https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pau...-laundry-ladies.417567/page-578#post-19554547
Thing is, Pogba was just a young lad at Juventus and they set up to accommodate accordingly. The best midfielders generally grow into the role as they gain experience and understand the nuances of the game and what they need to do. Look at Scholes and Modric, both spent a lot of time further up the field earlier in their careers.

A world class CM is the smartest, most technical and efficient player on the pitch generally speaking. Pogba has the technique but he's got so much learning to do and needs to grow up to truly achieve what he's capable of. To have a CM with his ability, which would really set him apart, would be worth far more than some niche AM that needs the team building around him. This is what i think we are hoping for from him.

I can name 5 or 6 AMs in the PL alone that can arguably play that role better than Pogba. With his size and athleticism, coupled with his skill and technical ability, he could be an absolute monster of a CM. The penny just needs to drop with him and he needs to learn how to apply himself to the position. He should study Paul Scholes' game hard, learn how to find space and position himself, then add everything else that he brings to the table. If he did that he'd be something else, but until then he'll be a conundrum that we may never solve.

paulscholes18

He was very poor but did create our only chance in the 2nd half, don’t get why he was subbed José should have taken off one of the 3 behind Lukaku for Herrera and gave Pogba a licence to roam around

Antonedwin

one of those player who hide when things go tough, he has all the ability and attribute to be the best but he need to fix his mental

RedIke

I'll never understand the (what seems like recent) fascination to just annihilate your teams own players.

Bad day, bad game, bad day at the office as a whole. Move on. He's still the best player on the team.

beergod

Pogba did an amazing Liam Miller impersonation when Spurs were in possession. Invisible.

bleedred

I'll never understand the (what seems like recent) fascination to just annihilate your teams own players.

Bad day, bad game, bad day at the office as a whole. Move on. He's still the best player on the team.
He seems to be having a bad day at the office during every big game. Its not annihilating the player. Criticising a player for such a performance is warranted.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He's not the best player on the team. Sanchez has shown far more in his career as player and last season produced better then anything Pogba produced. De Gea is in his position the best in the world. So by that, Pogba would be 3rd on the list. But generally, nobody is saying he's shit, sell him. My issue with Pogba is he thinks he is something that he isn't. He plain and simple shouldn't be seen as a central midfielder and we should stop trying to fit him there. He isn't a center mid. He is shite there. It's like if you had Eriksen, De Bruyne, Iniesta, Silva, Coutinho, etc... Would you play any of them in a midfield 2 behind 4 players? Never, as it's suicidal defensively. So why the feck do we do that with Pogba, because those are the players who play the same role as Pogba.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You lot are such a bunch of mewling quims. Fantastic player. Shouldn’t be deployed in a midfield 2 in big games. Just not playing to his strengths. That’s a coaching mistake.

Move on.

jungledrums

I'm not knee jerking here but have we all overestimated Pogbas football ability? I can't work it out if we are all disappointed he isn't basically Zidane because we've all bought into his marketing that suggests he is on par with the very best in the game or that he IS that level of footballer but just genuinely gets cold feet in big matches.

To be up there with the very best and be truly a world class talent you SHOULD be able to play in a midfield 2 as a midfielder at the very least. The tactics today on a whole wernt great and didn't help Pogba out but come on man...
I don't believe so. In the right system, the man is an absolute magician. For Juve, he virtually played well every single game. I don't claim to know more than Mourinho, but we did not sign Pogba to play 5 yard passes in our own half. That's essentially what his role, at times, has been reduced to. Perhaps if we put another central midfield body in there to give him more freedom, he'll be 'unleashed', so to speak.

Hawks2008

Playing in a 2 doesn't help but he was completely invisible. Nothing annoys me more than players slacking off and to see Spurs players streaking past him while he's strolling back without a care ticked me off. Was glad he got dragged off. We need a 3 man midfield and not just to get the best out of him but to cover for the fact he is a defensive liability with no positional discipline. He's supposed to be our talisman but it seems like the rest of the team he's a flat track bully.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Some of what I said back in 2016 is coming to pass. We signed a top player to waste his ability.

Pogba alone won't solve our problems. He is used to having top players around him. Even if you take Pogba out of Juventus. They still have a better centre midfield than us.

Carrick/Schweinsteiger - Old/no legs injury prone. Herrera/Schneiderlin are promising but are no where near top level yet.

I think for Pogba to do well. We would need Kroos/Matuidi also. You could argue that buying Kroos & Matuidi is better option.

Pogba is not a Luka Modric the type of player that will dictate play he is someone who needs to be as forward as possible to be effective.

If you look at the players Pogba had around (Pirlo, Vidal & Marchisio) him in the 4 years he has been a Juventus and look at what they have no now compared to our current Central midfield the gulf is huge.

Pjanić was my number no.1 target this summer. Disappointed we didn't move for him.

Not saying I would not sign Pogba I still would but I think he needs a proper partner to truly thrive. We have too many squad/peripheral players, that extend beyond just the midfield.

I don't see the likes of Young, Lingard, Jones, Rojo, Valencia & Memphis setting the world alight for us. We know what most of them are capable of few of them should have been shipped years ago.

Link to original post https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pau...-laundry-ladies.417567/page-578#post-19554547
Absolutely spot on post from 2016

Mr Smith

And this is exactly why Pogba is not a captain material. He is a great player and had a bad game while playing out of position today, but he just doesn't have any leadership skills.
This is one of the more reasonable criticisms I've seen of Pogba. He seems to panic when things aren't going well, rather than taking responsibility and dictating the pace of the game. Great player, but still has a bit of maturing to do unfortunately.

RooneyLegend

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone dominate Pogba physically like Dembele did today
He's a beast though, pretty much does it to everyone least of all a flair midfielder who's forgotten how to defend and generally put in effort.

ti vu

It's a very unprofessional performance from Pogba. Worst I ever seen from him. I won't go into the discussion about formation, just say that individual performance, Pogba let his own talent down too much. He plays like a young player making his debut this game. He looks like trying race with Lingard to the other side of the pitch and leaves our defensive unit behind without thinking. The whole he doesn't work against top 6 team is a myth. He bossed Tottenham last season at OT. Problem with him this game is himself.

RooneyLegend

Jose is letting him get away with murder, a few weeks ago i said i'd just seen him put in the worst defensive performance from a midfielder that i'd ever seen, and its really a recurring theme. He defends in midfield like he's Messi at Barca. It's some habit he's up since he's got here and Jose for whatever reason never used to be like this at Juve. Trust you me, at Juve he used to at least be in the right place or look like he's putting in the effort to get there.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's a very unprofessional performance from Pogba. Worst I ever seen from him. I won't go into the discussion about formation, just say that individual performance, Pogba let his own talent down too much. He plays like a young player making his debut this game. He looks like trying race with Lingard to the other side of the pitch and leaves our defensive unit behind without thinking. The whole he doesn't work against top 6 team is a myth. He bossed Tottenham last season at OT. Problem with him this game is himself.
Yeah, he can't go against biggest teams is a myth. He was very good against Spurs, Chelsea at home last season, Arsenal away this season.

This game he was very poor though, it was like he wasn't arsed to even be there.

Fracture90

Can anyone honestly say that Pogba has improved under Mourinho at all during these almost 2 years?

Baxter

De Bruyne has been called the best player in the league this year. They’d never set up with him in a 2, especially away from home to Spurs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Alright, explain what part of his game is better than when he was at Juve?
He plays with more responsibility, he is involved more in the game.

Yesterday he had a stinker but that shouldn't mean his very good season should be ignored.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
To say that’s the first time he’s been on a losing team in 34/35 games just shows how little impact he had yesterday, but also how bad the team were in general.

Of course he had to take more responsibility, but you don’t go away to Spurs with a midfield two anymore, as you wouldn’t against Arsenal, City, Chelsea or Liverpool.

Jeffthered

It was a painful watch, and of course we as fans seek answers. Pogba is our best player, by some way, and let's not forget the impact he has on the team. Last night, like the whole team, he performed poorly. This was much to do with his lack of application for his role on the night, the quality of opponent, the fact that our 'attacking unit' were rubbish, and the poor tactics of the manager.

Pogba needs to play at the top of a three. Let him roam and be instinctive, and destructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.